Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

Loss of film IQ or character when converting to digital for viewing or printing?
Old 09-19-2019   #1
awilder

Loss of film IQ or character when converting to digital for viewing or printing?

For film users, is there a loss of it's unique character when scanned to digital for viewing on a screen or for printing purposes? Is it less of a problem for B&W film than color negative or reversal film? To me the advantage of shooting digital is the ability to adjust highlights, shadows, color, etc. but I'm willing to give film a second look if I know what advantages it provides.

Old 09-21-2019   #2
JohnBeeching

Hi,
I scan B&W film and work on them in LightRoom or Photoshop before printing them at A3 or even A2. I find the results excellent; but, as with anything, there is a learning curve.

Old 09-22-2019   #3
JohnBeeching

A couple of examples for you:

Barcelona.
Couple. Barcelona, 2003. by John Beeching, on Flickr

Sahagún
Sahagún by John Beeching, on Flickr

Old 10-06-2019   #4
George Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
For film users, is there a loss of it's unique character when scanned to digital for viewing on a screen or for printing purposes? Is it less of a problem for B&W film than color negative or reversal film?
As no digital scanner can capture the true look, feel or resolution of film, there will always be a significant difference between the scan, and what it looks like when viewed directly with a high quality loop.

However, film scans do have unique qualities that make look it different (which many of us prefer) than images produced by digital cameras.

This is true regardless of the type of film used.