Fuji Work Record P&S
Old 07-17-2019   #1
Huss

Fuji Work Record P&S

My Fuji Work Record showed up today. Meant to be one of those tough workplace kameras that were a thing in Japan. Has a 28mm 3.5 lens and yuuuge VF. AF.
What is interesting is that it looks super tough, but in hand is remarkably light weight.
It is meant to be weather resistant and looking at the rubber sealed buttons, I guess it could be. My doubts lie around the way the camera back seals up. It has a shallow film seal channel that on one side has a rubber lip. But just doesn't seem to close up in a super tight fashion. It unusually has a manual door catch. Push down to open; to close hold the camera back shut and push the catch up.
It just seems like a bump in the exact wrong spot could cause it to pop open. In comparison, a Nikon ActionTouch has a safety catch and seals up like a bank vault. Then again the Nikon is rated to go underwater to about 10 feet.
The Fuji winds all the film out, then brings it back in as you shoot. Just like an Xpan! Really simple, intuitive controls, with a bunch of buttons hidden behind a side panel. This includes the most important one - the ability to manually control the flash. Unfortunately the default setting is autoflash, and if you change that then turn the kamera off, it goes back to the default when you turn it back on. Butt.. the kamera does not seem to have an auto-off. I timed it being on for 15 minutes before I threw in the towel. So you can just leave it on and it doesn't seem to use any real battery power until you push the shutter button down half way.
Film is DX coded, with no way of me knowing the specs as I could not find any. I assume that non DX film is set to ISO 100.
Film is loaded, will see how this lump works.

Fuji Work Record P&S
Old 07-17-2019   #2
maigo

Fuji Work Record P&S

The film wind back into shell is a good idea on these worksite cameras. Too easy to have a Homer moment and open the door when multiple people share a single camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-21-2019   #3
Huss

Test roll shot, will see tomorrow how this lump works out.

In use this camera is very nice. It turns on almost instantly and has a massive VF. Makes it fun to shoot.

Old 09-04-2019   #4
Smaug

Interesting camera!

It reminds me of the Canon Sure Shot Owl I got for my grandma, decades ago. (except that the Owl wasn't billed as being weather proof)

Note that 'weather proof' does not necessarily mean 'water tight'. It just means that it can handle rain and snow.

Also, I wouldn't use it out in the weather these days; the seals might be too dry to work properly.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon FG, FM and L35AF3, Canon FTb, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 09-04-2019   #5
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The crash bars look cool. I have the Konica Genba Kantoku with 35mm lens.
Like my Konica your Fuji requires an increasingly hard-to-find lithium battery.

Chris

Old 09-04-2019   #6
Huss

Huh forgot that I had not posted pics taken! Lens is a knock out and exposures are
good. Also very responsive/little lag. Definitely this camera is only weather resistant - it does not seal up tight like my Nikon Action Touch LW35AF let alone a Nikonos!
Batteries are easy to find either locally (I am in LA) or via internet. I am also using rechargeables.

Old 09-20-2019   #7
Huss

Fuji Work Record, Fuji C200, Z7scan, negativelabpro.com

"Stripes"