A new product for digitizing your film.
Old 09-03-2019   #1
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

A new product for digitizing your film.

This might be of interest to you film folk. https://www.lewiskemper.com/page/kli...digital-copier

Old 09-03-2019   #2
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Delighted to see innovation happening in this space, but lots of questions looking at the one photo...
- How precise?
- Vibration free?
- Shutter speed, with that light panel, unless it's brighter than typical light panel, you'll be shooting at ~1/4 sec.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 09-03-2019   #3
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Prices are shown at the bottom of the page, below the images of the scanner set-up.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-03-2019   #4
Tim Gray

I've thought about making a copy stand for negative scanning from 80/20. I'm too lazy though. We use 80/20 all the time at work, but I don't have to cut it and assemble it

Old 09-03-2019   #5
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

This is a creation of a Pro photog by the name of Lewis Kemper, he is a contributing editor for Outdoor Photographer as well as other things photographic. Our club had him speak a couple times and as he is a local boy, I felt the need to promote his stuff. I imaging he would be happy to answer any questions. One thing I do know about it, a macro lens is required.

Old 09-03-2019   #6
Scottboarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
- Shutter speed, with that light panel, unless it's brighter than typical light panel, you'll be shooting at ~1/4 sec.
I agree with the rest, but I don't understand this one. I use the Slimelight Plano and a Nikon adapter so I'm regularly shooting at 1/4th or slower since the adapter blocks some light. It's never been any issue for me and I can't see how my process would greatly improve shooting at 1/100th of a second.

Old 09-03-2019   #7
peterm1

For people who occasionally want to digitize a film and of course already have a good macro lens and do not wish to buy a special device.

One hack I have tried for digitizing film (both negatives and slides) is to use the screen of a computer tablet as the light box / back light source. An app can be found for this (I cannot recall its name). The app just puts out bright light consistently from the LCD and I think from memory its brightness and color can be varied as needed.

I found that one problem with this is that the light from a tablets screen is pixelated and this definitely shows up on the final result when using a good macro lens. So you will also need to mount a semi clear neutrally colored translucent plastic filter on the tablet's screen to diffuse the pixelated light emanating from the screen. I fudged one from a white translucent plastic document sleeve bought for pennies from a stationery store specifically for this purpose. Of course you will also need a tripod which can orient your camera to the tablet - the most convenient way is to orient the camera facing the ground / table with the tablet laying flat.

I have tried it once or twice as an experiment but I have not gone back (yet) as I have been busy with more interesting stuff - but I do intend experimenting more when both need and time available coincide. I still have quite a few old negatives I could scan but have been reluctant to buy kit for this purpose as it is not a high priority for me.

Old 09-03-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

My NIB Plustek scanner cost me much less and takes less space than this bunch of planks.
Not to mention need to purchase macro lens.

Old 09-03-2019   #9
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

That takes up a lot more space then my scanner does

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 09-03-2019   #10
BillBingham2

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting approach.

B2 (;->

Old 09-03-2019   #11
Huss

$625?

Lessee.. my copy stand - $150. LED light panel - $20. Digitiliza film holder that also covers pano and 6x9 which his does not - $30.
Total? $200.

Old 09-03-2019   #12
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
For people who occasionally want to digitize a film and of course already have a good macro lens and do not wish to buy a special device.

One hack I have tried for digitizing film (both negatives and slides) is to use the screen of a computer tablet as the light box / back light source. An app can be found for this (I cannot recall its name). The app just puts out bright light consistently from the LCD and I think from memory its brightness and color can be varied as needed.

I found that one problem with this is that the light from a tablets screen is pixelated and this definitely shows up on the final result when using a good macro lens. So you will also need to mount a semi clear neutrally colored translucent plastic filter on the tablet's screen to diffuse the pixelated light emanating from the screen. I fudged one from a white translucent plastic document sleeve bought for pennies from a stationery store specifically for this purpose. Of course you will also need a tripod which can orient your camera to the tablet - the most convenient way is to orient the camera facing the ground / table with the tablet laying flat.

I have tried it once or twice as an experiment but I have not gone back (yet) as I have been busy with more interesting stuff - but I do intend experimenting more when both need and time available coincide. I still have quite a few old negatives I could scan but have been reluctant to buy kit for this purpose as it is not a high priority for me.
The app is called, appropriately enough, Light Table. I have found that raising the negative several millimeters above the tablet alleviate s the pixelation problem, I used my iPad for several months in this manner, but found an LED light panel for about &14 on eBay that provides a brighter source without the pixel problem.

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-03-2019   #13
Greyscale

I like the horizontal concept, but the footprint is much bigger than a vertical setup, too big for my use. Nice if you have the space.

My RFF Gallery

Old 09-03-2019   #14
charjohncarter

Great idea on an old theme.

Old 09-03-2019   #15
WJJ3

I stacked a few hoods on the end of my macro lens and made a magnetized film carrier that clings to it. Holds my film parallel to the sensor near the MFD of my macro lens. Works great and cost me about $30.

Flickr

Old 09-03-2019   #16
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
The app is called, appropriately enough, Light Table. I have found that raising the negative several millimeters above the tablet alleviate s the pixelation problem, I used my iPad for several months in this manner, but found an LED light panel for about &14 on eBay that provides a brighter source without the pixel problem.
Yes Light Table is its name. And it is good to know that raising the negative helps. BTW how did you do that - did you make a carrier of some sort or did you already have a plastic carrier of the sort often sold with flatbed scanners for holding and scanning negatives?

Old 09-03-2019   #17
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
I stacked a few hoods on the end of my macro lens and made a magnetized film carrier that clings to it. Holds my film parallel to the sensor near the MFD of my macro lens. Works great and cost me about $30.

Excellent! And all for $30!

Old 09-04-2019   #18
brbo

They say that if you've got nothing nice to say don't say anything at all...

(my drum scanner takes less space, looks much nicer and was cheaper)

Old 09-04-2019   #19
Ste_S

I had to chortle at the pricing

Old 09-04-2019   #20
majid
Fazal Majid

Sounds like a Nikon PB-6 bellows with PS-6 slide copying attachment. Just without the bellows, convenience or low price.

Old 09-04-2019   #21
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
They say that if you've got nothing nice to say don't say anything at all...

(my drum scanner takes less space, looks much nicer and was cheaper)
What drum scanner is that?

Old 09-04-2019   #22
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
This might be of interest to you film folk.

Old 09-04-2019   #23
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
What drum scanner is that?
Howtek 4500.

Old 09-04-2019   #24
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Howtek 4500.
Wow, just curious how that was cheaper than $600?

Old 09-04-2019   #25
Out to Lunch

Priced not to sell.

Old 09-04-2019   #26
zuiko85

I have a table saw and drill and a few basic wood working skills. For a few dollars I can build a setup to do the same thing.

Old 09-04-2019   #27
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Excellent! And all for $30!
Thanks, yeah itís doing the job.

Flickr

Old 09-04-2019   #28
Godfrey
somewhat colored

These copier jigs do seem rather expensive and I worry about stability with the vertical arrangement. My Novoflex copy stand, flat panel light box, and home-made mask/film holder arrangement is cheaper, smaller, and more rigid; probably sets up faster (about 5 minutes). It also allows exposures at about ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/50 to 1/100 sec for most negatives, which helps ensure stability.

Nice to see someone building dedicated equipment for this endeavor, regardless.

G

Old 09-04-2019   #29
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
These copier jigs do seem rather expensive and I worry about stability with the vertical arrangement. My Novoflex copy stand, flat panel light box, and home-made mask/film holder arrangement is cheaper, smaller, and more rigid; probably sets up faster (about 5 minutes). It also allows exposures at about ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/50 to 1/100 sec for most negatives, which helps ensure stability.

Nice to see someone building dedicated equipment for this endeavor, regardless.

G
Never had any stability issues using my cheapo $150 new copy stand. I copy at iso 64/f11 which is about 1/2 sec. Everything is always pin sharp. I make sure to use the exposure delay mode on my camera so that the shutter fires about 3 secs after I push the button to let things settle down.
When I used a DSLR to scan film, I first had to use the Mirror Up functionality before the shutter delay. Now using mirrorless - no mirror so one less thing to deal with.

I wonder why some company just doesn't provide a film copying bundle so it's a one stop shop for users instead of re-inventing the wheel? In the bundle there would be the copy stand, light pad and a few film holders. Done.
The Digitiliza film holders are very good and the 35mm one allows for 35mm and pano, while the 120 one allows for 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9.

Old 09-05-2019   #30
albireo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
This might be of interest to you film folk. https://www.lewiskemper.com/page/kli...digital-copier
"These days everyone has a digital camera with high resolution and excellent dynamic range."

WRONG. I don't anymore. And many people in my age group don't either (a good modern phone is all we need for digital photography).

I'm quite happy with my Plustek 7500i for 35mm and with my Epson V550 for my medium format scanning, to be quite honest. When you master the hardware and the software, the results can be amazing.

Don't even get me started on the form factor of this 'solution' above. I imagine whoever wrote the blog does not have a wife?

Old 09-05-2019   #31
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Never had any stability issues using my cheapo $150 new copy stand. I copy at iso 64/f11 which is about 1/2 sec. Everything is always pin sharp. I make sure to use the exposure delay mode on my camera so that the shutter fires about 3 secs after I push the button to let things settle down.
When I used a DSLR to scan film, I first had to use the Mirror Up functionality before the shutter delay. Now using mirrorless - no mirror so one less thing to deal with.

I wonder why some company just doesn't provide a film copying bundle so it's a one stop shop for users instead of re-inventing the wheel? In the bundle there would be the copy stand, light pad and a few film holders. Done.
The Digitiliza film holders are very good and the 35mm one allows for 35mm and pano, while the 120 one allows for 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9.
Cue the Chinese:

I haven't got to play with one in real life, but the whole bundle (with light source and film holders) cost around $90.

Looks like these guys aren't aware of the international market yet.

Old 09-05-2019   #32
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Cue the Chinese:

I haven't got to play with one in real life, but the whole bundle (with light source and film holders) cost around $90.

Looks like these guys aren't aware of the international market yet.
Hmm, that looks like something the French would have built..

Old 09-05-2019   #33
Dogman

I'm using the Nikon ES-2 digitizer with a Micro-Nikkor lens and a Nikon D800. And, honestly, when copying 35mm slides or negatives, I just take the rig outside on a sunny day, set the ISO and WB to automatic, the lens to f/8 and aim for a blank area of the sky. I might have to make minor color adjustments to the slides in Lightroom but the results look great to me and it's a lot less setup and expense than these contraptions.

Old 09-05-2019   #34
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I'm using the Nikon ES-2 digitizer with a Micro-Nikkor lens and a Nikon D800. And, honestly, when copying 35mm slides or negatives, I just take the rig outside on a sunny day, set the ISO and WB to automatic, the lens to f/8 and aim for a blank area of the sky. I might have to make minor color adjustments to the slides in Lightroom but the results look great to me and it's a lot less setup and expense than these contraptions.
I used to use AWB, but the results were variable as the camera often does not know how to get a WB from the orange film base. While I was pondering why sometimes my scans took more work to correct the colour, I realized just to set WB to sunny.
Then the results were completely consistent, simple and accurate as a baseline was set before conversion with negativelabpro.com

Old 09-05-2019   #35
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
And it is good to know that raising the negative helps. BTW how did you do that - did you make a carrier of some sort or did you already have a plastic carrier of the sort often sold with flatbed scanners for holding and scanning negatives?
I searched around in the basement and found the remnants of a box of 1/4-20 hex nuts and used four of them underneath the Omega negative holders I use to hold my films. The nuts raise the negative high enough that not only are there no pixels visible, but any specs of dust remaining on the lightpad disappear too (within reason of course).

If I was more organized I'd attach the nuts to the bottom of each of my negative holders; 35mm. 120 and 127, like with contact cement or something.

Old 09-08-2019   #36
Chris101
summicronia

Their device looks well made, and easy to use, but it's kinda pricey. I just bought a Nikon ES-2. It screws onto the business end of the 60mm micro lens I already have. The film carrier holds the film flat, and it takes about a second per scan, once you load the film into the holder. It costs all of $139.

Old 09-08-2019   #37
Chris101
summicronia

About the ES-2, continued ...

I previously used a Coolscan 5000, but a problem I had with it was "grain aliasing", that is, the scanner could not make out individual grains, so images has a pronounced grain look, caused by clumps of grains that were not fully resolved.

With this setup, the resolution of the scan is about 6000 dots per inch, which does resolve the grains. The result it a smoother grain even with a grainy film such as HIE. So here is a sample of the output of my setup. Only it's actually a lot bigger - about 45 megapixels.

Here is a 100% crop showing the showing the (barely) resolved grain at full size:

Old 09-08-2019   #38
Huss

yep yep, here is my ES-2 use with a Z7 + 60 2.8G

Full image:

1:1 crop from the end of the sentence:

Old 09-08-2019   #39
Bille

500$+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Machifit-50...kAAOSwXx9cAO-X

Old 09-08-2019   #40
Takkun
Ian M.

Wow, $500 dollars would buy a lot of T-slot extrusions. That's pricey for what you get.

one of these days I'll show my rig, but it's all made from leftover foam core and matte board from framing. Two sheets of hinged matte board for a film carrier, with masking tape "guide rails" for ease of sliding into place. That's on top of a square foam core box, open on top and a cutout on one side, with several sheets of mylar drawing film as diffusers. Sunpak 544 in the cutout. Camera on a tripod with inverted head. Its working handily for MF.

Chris—interesting you mention that. I've had a lot of problems with shadow detail and grain with my LS-4000, especially with T-grain films. I've been assuming I still haven't gotten a good Vuescan workflow, but aliasing would explain some of my results. It's still far less tedious to batch scan with it, and go back and DSLR-scan something to enlarge.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram