Hasselblad Imacon Flextight 848, to sell or not to sell...?
Old 08-19-2019   #1
MVCG

Hasselblad Imacon Flextight 848, to sell or not to sell...?

Hi all, so I am lucky enough to own a Flextight 848.

My dilemma is that I have not used it in over 2 years so have been contemplating selling it.

Are these scanners worth keeping longterm? Your thoughts?

Also, what would you say is the value of these in mid-2019?

Thanks!

Flickr

Old 08-19-2019   #2
lcpr

Selling the 848 would be enough to buy you an M10/M10-P or even a fair chunk of a Hasselblad X1D II/Fuji GFX setup. Of course, there's always the problem of finding someone to buy/pick it up.

Old 08-20-2019   #3
MVCG

thanks, yes, supposedly thats the case however it also means the dreaded bay... Ive had an offer for it from a second hand store in london which is less than I paid for it 2 years ago

Flickr

Old 08-20-2019   #4
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVCG View Post
thanks, yes, supposedly thats the case however it also means the dreaded bay... Ive had an offer for it from a second hand store in london which is less than I paid for it 2 years ago

By your own admission you're not using it (and sounds like you haven't used it much), so if you keep it then you are actually losing whatever you paid originally.

The second shop will probably be willing to pick it up. This in itself is worth a lot. Sell it to them. Whatever money you think you lost can be a reminder for the future...

Old 08-20-2019   #5
rangefinderlove123

According to recent reports over the internet these scanners have recently been discontinued

I would sell it

Old 08-20-2019   #6
Huss

Sell it. You're not using it. Cash out while you can.

Old 08-20-2019   #7
brbo

Quote:
I never bought a photographic equipment with the expectation to sell it for more after I've used it for a couple of years. Not saying that I didn't end up with things that are selling for more (on eBay) now...

Anyway, you could still list it on eBay with local pickup only and a price that is above what the second hand store is offering.

(personally, I wouldn't sell it - just buy some film)

Old 08-21-2019   #8
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Mine is an Imacon Photo (original, SCSI interface) and I wouldn't sell it for the world.
It scans the borders on my 6x7 negatives from Mamiya RB67 and Pentax 67, does excellent work in shadow detail!

And your model with newer software is capable of .3F files, which is basically RAWs from a negative, to be adjusted and corrected for decades to come after the single hi-res scan, yikes!
No other scanner software will get you that and it's limited to later model Imacons only.
I'd scan the cr*p out of that thing if I had one

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-21-2019   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Hi all, so I am lucky enough to own a Flextight 848.

My dilemma is that I have not used it in over 2 years so have been contemplating selling it.

Are these scanners worth keeping longterm? Your thoughts?

Also, what would you say is the value of these in mid-2019?

Thanks!
May I ask why you are not using it (i.e. no longer using film)? Have you scanned everything you need scanned (from the past)?

If the answer is yes to both, sell... but I'm an all digital guy these days, so it is easy for me to say.

Old 08-22-2019   #10
MVCG

I absolutely still shoot film however given the constraints on my time these days with 2 babies and a full-time demanding job, I find digital sooo much simpler. Someday I do hope to get back to developing, scanning and printing... Its such a beautiful and gratifying process.

Flickr

Old 08-22-2019   #11
Huss

Quote:
I absolutely still shoot film however given the constraints on my time these days with 2 babies and a full-time demanding job, I find digital sooo much simpler. Someday I do hope to get back to developing, scanning and printing... Its such a beautiful and gratifying process.
When u get back to it use ur digicam to scan film.

Old 08-22-2019   #12
jsrockit

Agree with Huss.

Old 08-22-2019   #13
x-ray

I own an 848 that I bought reconditioned from Hasselblad USA about 7 or 8 years ago. I think I paid $8000 for it at the time. I rarely use it now but when I do need it it's invaluable. No epson scanner will come even close and the the only other option that will scan as well are the discontinued Creo / Kodak Eversmart scanners which are larger, heavier, more expensive and hard to find parts and service. Tango drum scanners may still be made but the cost is approaching 6 figures.

The issue with top quality scanners is they are no longer made, operate on antiquated operating systems and computers and are impossible or near impossible to get serviced.

The downside of the Imacon / Hasselblad scanners is eventually you will not be able to get them serviced then the value is whatever you can get by parting it out.

Do you feel you'l want a high quality scanner at some point. If you do you'll have a hard time replacing it. If not and the call of some other toy is calling louder than the scanner, sell it and don't look back.

If you're impatient. you'll take a bath on price. If patient you should be able to get in the neighborhood of $7-8000.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-22-2019   #14
brothernature

I'd sell it! I feel like film will never die and people will always be interested in shooting it, but I have noticed a lot of professional photographers I know, that made their career on shooting film, have started switching over to digital. Might be good to sell it now while prices are still high and you aren't using it.

Old 08-23-2019   #15
MVCG

So I decided to sell the scanner. It is a sensational piece of hardware which I will miss however I just cant justify keeping it. In the end I didnt actually lose any money on it at all which is great these days of digital depreciation...

I hope I dont regret it...

Thanks all.

Flickr

Old 08-23-2019   #16
Michael Markey

It`s sometimes difficult making these decisions and I`m sure that they`ll be odd moments in the future when you may regret it.
Overall though it sounds like the correct decision.

Old 08-25-2019   #17
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Speaking of Imacon/Hasselblad scanners, does anyone know of a source for replacement bulbs? Hasselblad will gladly sell you one for an ungodly price, but I seem to recall that you can get the same bulb from a company like Osram etc for a fraction of the cost. All you need to do is recycle the reflector from the original bulb and you're good to go.