Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #41
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc68 View Post
I am by far not a local, but I still like to add a suggestion:
Museum of Contemporary Photography, if you're not only interested in taking pictures.

I also recommend Devon Avenue, ethnic diversity like a string of pearls... :-)

It seems hard to make any recommendations on what to photograph in Chicago, but whatever you like, you'll find some of it there... ;-)
"da bean" gets on the list, just to prove you were in the right place...

If you have the time - and are interested and not easily scared, Gary, IN is not far - a true "post steel ghost town" (and birthplace of one Michael Jackson)

Either way, safe travels and have fun!

doc.
Horrible advice. Gary, Indiana is an extremely dangerous place. Many years that town been the murder capital of the USA (per capita).

Old 1 Week Ago   #42
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Horrible advice. Gary, Indiana is an extremely dangerous place. Many years that town been the murder capital of the USA (per capita).
LOL I'd better stop going there then.

Old 1 Week Ago   #43
narsuitus

If you decide to visit Gary, Indana, stop by:

Gary Camera
6750 Broadway
Merrillville, Indiana 46410
(219) 769-2451

Old 6 Days Ago   #44
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
You do what you want. Lots of people do things, thinking that they are invincible. Late last year I was driving in to work when some fool blew by me at over 100 mph. Twenty minutes later I saw a nice wreck up ahead. Same driver. Total moron.

The crime data reveals that the overall Gary, IN crime rates are 43% higher than in comparison to the Indiana mean and are 47% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Gary, IN has a rate that is 56% higher than the Indiana average; compared to the United States, it is 62% higher than. Looking at crimes involving property, Gary, IN is 41% higher than its state's mean, and 44% higher than the country's average.

Nationally 5.3 people per 100k are murdered. In Gary, IN this number is 63.3.

Old 6 Days Ago   #45
B-9
Devin Bro

Wow Gary, IN is hardcore!

For Chicago,

I cannot recommend Air BnB enough! We got a nice little flat all to ourselves for a long weekend and saved over the cheapest Hotel.

Chinatown has some really great food and is incredibly photogenic. My only gripe was the pan handlers who seemed to congregate around the shops asking for money. We had a guy follow us persistent on getting a dollar. Friendly enough though, a firm voice fixed that situation.

We weren’t that impressed with the Field Museum or the Adler Planetarium. Being a space nerd I was really disappointed in Adler, it’s more or less suited for school children.

The Museum of Science and Industry is HUGE and we wished we would have spent the weekend exploring it and left the others out. It’s that good!

We purchased the City Pass and saved a ton on entry fees for all the big tourist attractions.

The Navy Pier at dusk is a great place to take photos, although finding a place to park within walking distance was a bit troublesome as the Pier lot was full everyday.

We happened to be there over St. Patrick’s Day and got to see the River turn green with dye. We laughed a little about how silly the whole thing is.

Oh! We also found it was pretty easy to get around the city in a car, we thought we would be taking public transit, but it was not at all necessary. Parking anywhere in the city is a easy 20$, although we found a few garages with better rates around 15$ You’ll need some nerves, all the honking and persistent cut offs can boil blood. TONS of cab drivers who barely respect the rules of the road.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 5 Days Ago   #46
doc68

I am sorry to have caused trouble by mentioning Gary, IN.
However, kuvvy had asked about Chicago, which has a reputation by itself...

Generally, trust your guts, if you're out there, and it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
I have been to London, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome (all Europe), Detroit, Chicago and Gary, and I would not consider one more or less dangerous than any other (in general).

Know where you're going, keep your eyes open and trust your gut feeling!

(...and not everybody is into taking pictures of urban decay - it was just an idea, and close to Chicago...)

Stay safe!

Old 5 Days Ago   #47
Deardorff38

Quote:

Generally, trust your guts, if you're out there, and it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
I have been to London, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome (all Europe), Detroit, Chicago and Gary, and I would not consider one more or less dangerous than any other (in general).

Stay safe!
I think the difference is that in 2017 Chicago had 2,785 shooting incidents and 3,457 shooting victims...which resulted in 650 murders.
The European cities, by that standard are much safer....

Old 5 Days Ago   #48
kuvvy

Quote:
I am sorry to have caused trouble by mentioning Gary, IN.
However, kuvvy had asked about Chicago, which has a reputation by itself...

Know where you're going, keep your eyes open and trust your gut feeling!

(...and not everybody is into taking pictures of urban decay - it was just an idea, and close to Chicago...)

Stay safe!
Probably too old to either fight or run so I’ll opt to keeping safe as possible. I won’t be driving so it’ll public transport.
Thanks to yourself and all the others here for the advice.
Think I’ll be knackered by the time I get back.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 3 Days Ago   #49
airfrogusmc

I can tell you where the majority of the shootings and gun violence in Chicago take place are in areas, as a tourist, you would never find yourself in. And the reality is in the US Chicago is not even in the top 10 cites when talking about the murder rate per capita. In fact in Nov of 2017 Chicago was # 25 according to the Bismark Tribune and hte murder in 2018 was a lot lower in Chicago. Link to the article.
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat...80bda8e.html#1

Most of the murders in Chicago are gang and drug related and in concentrated areas that tourists would not go into. I never feel unsafe in the city of Chciago.

Old 2 Days Ago   #50
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
I think the difference is that in 2017 Chicago had 2,785 shooting incidents and 3,457 shooting victims...which resulted in 650 murders.
The European cities, by that standard are much safer....
Really. Comparing European cities to Chicago or Gary is hilarious. There are tens of thousands of hand guns in Chicago and many hundreds of murders. Gary Indiana has a murder rate that is simply unthinkable in Europe. Detroit is a vast wasteland of unmitigated destruction. I live 40 miles from Detroit and have driven through there a few times. It is an appalling landscape (away from downtown), not even remotely safe for someone to walk around with a camera.

Old 2 Days Ago   #51
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
I can tell you where the majority of the shootings and gun violence in Chicago take place are in areas, as a tourist, you would never find yourself in. And the reality is in the US Chicago is not even in the top 10 cites when talking about the murder rate per capita. In fact in Nov of 2017 Chicago was # 25 according to the Bismark Tribune and hte murder in 2018 was a lot lower in Chicago. Link to the article.
https://bismarcktribune.com/news/nat...80bda8e.html#1

Most of the murders in Chicago are gang and drug related and in concentrated areas that tourists would not go into. I never feel unsafe in the city of Chciago.
True. But Chicago is far worse than it has been in the past. I lived in East Lakeview for 25 years. Never felt unsafe there because I never heard of violent crime there much. Since I have moved out there have been at least 4 murders within 3 blocks of my old house. My former neighbors tell me that they feel distinctly unsafe as compared to times in the past. There have been much more shootings (without murders) as well. Violence is definitely on the increase.

Old 2 Days Ago   #52
airfrogusmc

The neighborhoods are in constant state of flux. I have a friend that had a place in Logan Square that in the 1980s there were always gun shots in the alley behind his place and shooting on hs block. That has all changed as have Wicker Park. According to the Chicago Tribune the murder rate in Chicago was actually higher in the 70s and 80s than was in 2018. And again the violence is not in areas where the tourists would go. Like in any big US city just be aware of your surroundings and don't bury your face into your Iphone.

Still there are far to many guns on the streets in the hands of people that have no business having them. When I was in Japan the murder rate there was very low when compared to US murder rates. In fact lower in the entire country than the murder rate in just one major US city.

Old 2 Days Ago   #53
css9450

Quote:
According to the Chicago Tribune the murder rate in Chicago was actually higher in the 70s and 80s than was in 2018.
This is true. Record highest was way back about 1974 or so. 2018 was a hundred fewer than 2017 and marks the second year in a row of declining homicides and violent crimes.

Old 2 Days Ago   #54
airfrogusmc

Quote:
This is true. Record highest was way back about 1974 or so. 2018 was a hundred fewer than 2017 and marks the second year in a row of declining homicides and violent crimes.
Most people from many areas think, because of misinformed politicians, that Chicago is a war zone but there are so many cities that are FAR worse that those same politicians don't seem to mention. The fact that Chicago is not even in the top 20 when talking per capita just shows how misinformed some are. The murder rate is still FAR too high but it is not what some outsiders paint it to be. All this doesn't seem to be hurting tourism. Chicago had the highest tourist #s ever in 2018.

Old 2 Days Ago   #55
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Yeah me too. Go early in the AM and just be careful. Don't go into Gary driving a BMW and wearing a Rolex looking like you have a lot of stuff to take. Some great abandon buildings in Gary. Though I hear the church/school has really taken a turn for the worse.
Still I wouldn't recommend Gary to someone from Europe.

Old 2 Days Ago   #56
Ted Striker

Quote:
Most people from many areas think, because of misinformed politicians, that Chicago is a war zone but there are so many cities that are FAR worse that those same politicians don't seem to mention. The fact that Chicago is not even in the top 20 when talking per capita just shows how misinformed some are. The murder rate is still FAR too high but it is not what some outsiders paint it to be. All this doesn't seem to be hurting tourism. Chicago had the highest tourist #s ever in 2018.
Well, with 4 murders within 3 blocks of my former house (Addison & Pine Grove), and an absolutely soaring property tax, moving out of the city (and Illinois) has been THE best decision I have ever made. I resisted moving out until I was literally forced by my job, but today I would never, EVER move back into Chicago. The massive property taxes I saw on my home the last few years were staggering. My retirement is going to be substantially better now that I'm not paying for Chicago's unending corruption.

Plus, the Cubs have absolutely crapped all over Lakeview. It looks appalling.

Old 2 Days Ago   #57
kuvvy

Well I’m hoping Chicago is not as bad as it’s painted. As a photographer searching google with the words ‘Chicago’ and ‘street shooting’ brings up more guns than cameras

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 2 Days Ago   #58
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Well, with 4 murders within 3 blocks of my former house (Addison & Pine Grove), and an absolutely soaring property tax, moving out of the city (and Illinois) has been THE best decision I have ever made. I resisted moving out until I was literally forced by my job, but today I would never, EVER move back into Chicago. The massive property taxes I saw on my home the last few years were staggering. My retirement is going to be substantially better now that I'm not paying for Chicago's unending corruption.

Plus, the Cubs have absolutely crapped all over Lakeview. It looks appalling.
I'm a Sox fan. I would be living in Northern New Mexico around Taos if I didn't have to work for a living. I live in Oak Park but I am in the city a lot. Never do I feel unsafe. I shoot a lot on the streets and I shot with Leica's and I never feel unsafe.

Old 2 Days Ago   #59
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
Well I’m hoping Chicago is not as bad as it’s painted. As a photographer searching google with the words ‘Chicago’ and ‘street shooting’ brings up more guns than cameras
Where you will be it's not unsafe at all.

Old 2 Days Ago   #60
bob338

I grew up in Chicago, but haven't lived there for about 25 years now. I go back to see family when I can and I'm always shocked to see how much it's changed and how much the same it has remained.

If you avoid the West side and the South side, you'll be fine. If a neighborhood looks a little sketchy, it is. Go somewhere else. The vast majority of the violence is gangs shooting each other, but if you're in the wrong neighborhood you can end up in the middle of something. Keep your eyes open, don't be flashy and you'll be fine.

It is a wonderful city to visit, full of really kind people. Have a ball!

Old 2 Days Ago   #61
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
I would not worry about Chicago for the occasional visit. It's Gary Indiana that's off the charts for extreme danger.

Old 2 Days Ago   #62
frank-grumman

This site will give you all the violence data about Chiraq you would want to know.

www.heyjackass.com

enjoy

Old 2 Days Ago   #63
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Where you will be it's not unsafe at all.
Oak park is NICE! I would not at all feel unsafe there.

I really liked one fountain I saw on Harlem (???) last time I was there.

Old 2 Days Ago   #64
airfrogusmc

Thats on Marion. Harlem is a big busy street.

Old 2 Days Ago   #65
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

The big asset in Chicago is its people. You'll find they are helpful, generous and agreeable to visitors. Besides, one thing I like is that most speak English with an accent (be it Polish, Spanish, Italian or Ukrainian, if not anything else). I hope you're enjoying your stay!

BTW, I live 65 miles away, West from the Loop, and there was a time we used to go there for long weekends. Now, with a kid, things cost a bit more, but we still enjoy going there for day trips.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 1 Day Ago   #66
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-grumman View Post
This site will give you all the violence data about Chiraq you would want to know.
www.heyjackass.com

enjoy
Wow!

Amazing.

Old 1 Day Ago   #67
airfrogusmc

And to think Chicago isn' even in the top 20 nation wide. But again the majority of violence is really concentrated in a few gang infested areas on the west and south sides. And those are areas most tourists would never go into. They are not all that easy to get to from the loop. You can't just walk into one of those areas from Mich Ave.

Old 21 Hours Ago   #68
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Thats on Marion. Harlem is a big busy street.
Ok, now I have my bearings. We were walking from a parking lot to the first bar we went to which was at the intersection of that street with the fountain with Lake. We moved over to another bar near Harlem later. That's why I was confused, thanks.

Old 16 Hours Ago   #69
jawarden

Quote:
I would not worry about Chicago for the occasional visit. It's Gary Indiana that's off the charts for extreme danger.
Neighorhood Scout just listed their top 100 most dangerous cities (population 25,000+) in the US. Gary didn't make the cut. Chicago did.

Ditto USA Today's danger list. No Gary on the list, but Chicago is there.

These "most dangerous" lists scare visitors unnecessarily. Just be smart. Don't be a target. Philly, where I photograph, is on the danger list too, and it's rare for me to go for a photowalk without running in to other happy photogs snapping away, even in the "dangerous" parts.

Old 15 Hours Ago   #70
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Neighorhood Scout just listed their top 100 most dangerous cities (population 25,000+) in the US. Gary didn't make the cut. Chicago did.

Ditto USA Today's danger list. No Gary on the list, but Chicago is there.

These "most dangerous" lists scare visitors unnecessarily. Just be smart. Don't be a target. Philly, where I photograph, is on the danger list too, and it's rare for me to go for a photowalk without running in to other happy photogs snapping away, even in the "dangerous" parts.
Then those publications aren't worth the electrons they are printed with. Murder rates do not lie. Period.

Look at the property values in Gary Indiana. You can't give away houses there.

I lived in Chicago 42 years and for one summer worked in the USS steel mills in Gary and Portage Indiana. There I met people who had the very unfortunate lot in life to actually live in Gary. They described an absolute urban hell hole of a life. Several people I met there had lost extended family members due to gun violence.

Old 14 Hours Ago   #71
css9450

I thought this was a thread about Chicago?

Old 14 Hours Ago   #72
jawarden

Quote:
I thought this was a thread about Chicago?
Hey we're trying to save lives here. Wait, you're from Chicago? It's so dangerous there - are bullets whizzing past you right now as you type like they are here in dangerous Philly? Duck!!!

Old 14 Hours Ago   #73
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Then those publications arent worth the electrons they are printed with. Murder rates do not lie. Period.

Look at the property values in Gary Indiana. You can't give away houses there.

I lived in Chicago 42 years and for one summer worked in the USS steel mills in Gary and Portage Indiana. There I met people who had the very unfortunate lot in life to actually live in Gary. They described an absolute urban hell hole of a life. Several people I met there had lost extended family members due to gun violence.
I suspect the USA Today list excluded Gary because of the city's very small size. Gary has been losing population, and now only has about 75,000 people. Gary is no longer a major city even within Indiana. Many of these lists like the one in USA Today only include fairly large cities.

That said, Gary's murder rates have declined a lot since the days when you lived in Chicago. They're still the highest in Indiana, but a lot of American cities now have higher murder rates. I have lived in Indiana most of my life, and I would still not ever visit Gary unless I could afford several armed men to accompany me.

Old 14 Hours Ago   #74
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Hey we're trying to save lives here. Wait, you're from Chicago? It's so dangerous there - are bullets whizzing past you right now as you type like they are here in dangerous Philly? Duck!!!

Oh, most likely! Our Gary is your Camden NJ...

Old 13 Hours Ago   #75
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Oh, most likely! Our Gary is your Camden NJ...
Exactly. The thing with most cities is that murders and other violent crime tend to be concentrated in a 'bad' part of town, usually the inner-city. The rest of the city is very safe. That's true of Chicago, and its true of my hometown, Fort Wayne. I can leave my doors unlocked at night with no fear, even though Fort Wayne averages 45 murders a year. The middle class area where I live, like most of Fort Wayne, has virtually no crime, violent or otherwise. The city's southeast side, however, is run by street gangs, crack dealers, and thugs; because there are no jobs there, people earn their living through crime.

The problem with Gary is that there is no nice part of town. The entire city is the 'bad part of town.'