Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Paris - one lens to rule them all ?
Old 11-11-2014   #1
marcr1230

Paris - one lens to rule them all ?

I'm traveling again.

Paris over Thanksgiving
It will be a family trip so a compromise photographically.

Part of the joy and anticipation of travel is obsessing over which gear to take.

I'm thinking one film camera, maybe a last hurrah for my OM system, I'm trying to clear out items from my shelves that don't get a lot of use
with the OM's I have plenty of lenses , would probably take a 50/1.4 and 85 2.0

Rangefinders - definitely a would go with a 35mm lens, camera body ? maybe Nikon SP

digital - I was thinking of taking some night-time photos with a DSLR and tripod.

my mind says "you'll never use all this stuff" my heart says "bring it all"

if you have to bring one small kit for a family trip to Paris , what would you bring?

Any new and interesting sites to see ? any secrets to iconic views of Paris ?

I went a couple years ago and will review the thread I started at that time - but why not kick off a trip with a fresh thread ?

Old 11-11-2014   #2
FrankS

I'd take this wide angle, medium format rangefinder.

I loved the few days I spent in Paris some years ago.

Do all the touristy things with your family, and enjoy observing and photographing the street life along the way.

You must see the Louvre, walk along the Seine, cross over onto the islands. Walk, walk, walk. Sit outside a cafe and people-watch. Buy a bottle of wine, a loaf of fresh bread and an assorted cheese plate, and picnic in a park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.9 KB, 102 views)

photography makes me happy

Old 11-11-2014   #3
Thardy

On my last trip to Paris (2013) I took a micro four thirds kit consisting of a couple of bodies, kit lens 14-25 mm, telephoto zoom, and for low light fixed 20mm 1.7 and 45 1.8 mm. The kit was pretty compact, but still a bit much.

My first trip 2007 - I took too much ... SLR, DSLR, RF, film. Too much, too bulky, too heavy, unused.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 11-11-2014   #4
daveleo
what?

Bring the camera body that you are most comfortable with and a lens in the 28mm-50mm (EVOF) range.
Don't turn the trip from a dream to an anxiety excursion. You cannot take a "bad" picture in Paris.
Just know your gear, and shoot.

Old 11-11-2014   #5
hellomikmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
I'm traveling again.
Part of the joy and anticipation of travel is obsessing over which gear to take.
or where to go/what to do:
http://www.fangduffkahn.com/books/city-secrets-paris

Old 11-11-2014   #6
nongfuspring

3 cameras seems like overkill to me, you can only use one at a time. Personally I'd take the SP with 35 and/or the DSLR, but not the tripod.

Palais De Tokyo seems to have some cool stuff on at the moment, the botanical gardens are worth a visit (even during the winter), and I've always wanted to visit the catacombs but the lines are pretty huge if you get there too late (which I always do). Recommend eating at Chartier, a little touristy but very cheap and the food decent. La Mosquée de Paris is also worth going to, interesting restaurant, excellent desserts and also a hammam if you're into that sort of thing.

My tip for taking pictures of iconic views of Paris is to not bother.

Old 11-11-2014   #7
robbeiflex

One of my favourite trips to Paris was with a single camera (M6), a single 50mm (C-Sonnar), and it was back when we also had only one daughter:

20120629-M6-HP5+04crop
by robsomogyi, on Flickr
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 11-11-2014   #8
Photon42
burn the box

On my last trip to Paris I've used an XPro-1 with 18/35/56 (equals 28/50/85). Paris is about walking in the streets and watching the street life. The Fuji did a fantastic job. I was too lazy to use a film camera. Just too many photos to take. I would travel light and use digital. It is a family trip, so maybe leave your tripod at home.

Old 11-11-2014   #9
Jack Conrad

I love to shoot with film...when I'm alone and free to poke around.
But if I were to take a trip to Paris with family, it'd be with a small, fast, easy digital, lot's of battery power and someone in my group that knows the camera too, so I could hand it off if they see something cool that I'm bound to miss, because I'm easily discombobulated. Too much input too fast and I'm likely to forget to put my pants on, let alone capture the decisive moment.

Old 11-11-2014   #10
YYV_146

OM, an RF and a digital body. That's three kits plus a tripod...

I use to load up on gear for trips, but since I have realized that no matter how much gear I take, I end up using only one body and one or two lenses...So now I don't take more than that, unless it truly is the trip of a lifetime.

I just spent a week in Boston visiting friends with nothing but one camera and a 15mm lens. I missed a lot of shots, but the keepers were nice

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 11-11-2014   #11
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I brought a single lens/camera and a variety of films to suit the day's conditions. Happened to be a Pentax 6x7 and 105/2.4.

When I go again, I will bring another single lens and camera and just stuff my pockets with film. Probably a rangefinder this time just to check off that item on the bucket list. Slightly wide would be preferable to the slightly long normal of the 105 on 6x7, so I might try a 35mm to get more context. The 105 worked well for a lot of situations, though.

Picnics built from street fair food were great, time spent in the gardens was great, people watching and walking, of course, and I was lucky enough to be there for Bastille Day, which was a fantastic time.

Old 11-11-2014   #12
Pablito
coco frío

A French camera, of course!

Old 11-11-2014   #13
robert blu
quiet photographer

One body, one lens. Good shoes.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-11-2014   #14
thegman

I used to load up on gear to take, these days I take 1, or perhaps 2 cameras. I much prefer the lack of stress of packing light. Some will stress over not having the right gear with them, some not.

Maybe I used to be focused on 90% travel, 10% photography. Now I'm more like 99% travel, 1% photography. I'd carry light, and have a good time. If I miss a photo because I don't have a wide or long lens, so be it.

Old 11-11-2014   #15
Frontman

If you have a 35mm lens for your SP, it would be a good choice, a 28mm lens might be even better. I have a four lens kit for my SP, from 21mm to 50mm. The 28mm seems to work best for me.

On my last trip to Paris, I took a pair of Leicas, an X-Pro, and a Rolleiflex. The Leicas were dead weight, I ended up not using them at all. The X-Pro was a pleasure to shoot, as was the Rolleiflex.

If you are going to be on your feet all day, pack light. Paris is a very busy city, and you'll do a lot of walking. If you are carrying a heavy bag, you are sure to feel it by the end of the day.

Old 11-11-2014   #16
Godfrey
somewhat colored

If it were me going, and I could only carry one lens, I'd take the Leica X (fast 35mm EFoV) or M9 fitted with either 35 or 40 mm*lens.

Two lenses: E-M1 with 25 and 45mm lenses, M9 or A7 with either EFoV 35/40 and 90mm, or 28 and 50mm lenses.

For those night shots, I'd have my small and light weight travel tripod and cable release.

In any event, the goal is to keep the kit very small and light as on a family trip to Paris I would not want to be burdened with a massive amount of gear or the expectation of having to use it. ;-) I'd probably carry just the Leica X and the small tripod, at this point, because that would do most everything I'd want, and keep my expectations small.

G

Old 11-11-2014   #17
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I have that trip scheduled for probably 2016... I was going to do it this coming summer but plans changed.

Now, after what I've learned, I would take just one digital (either a dSLR or my Fuji X100) and one film. Probably two lenses for the dSLR, and one spare for the film (which is bound to be a Leica). That way I don't walk with anything but my camera.

Enjoy the experience. There's a lot about Paris in the fall being even prettier than other times.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-11-2014   #18
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

Marc,

Having been to Paris many times, I'd suggest that you take the Nikon SP and a wide and telephoto lens. Also bring along a digital for family pics. If you had one, I'd say take a tlr, too

Or simply forgo all of that, and bring the Oly and a zoom (I know - heretical...).

Have fun, and drink good wine and eat good food!

Jan

P.S. I might have told you this before, but definitely try to go to the top of the Tour Effiel at night - it's totally awesome (and have a picnic on the lawn - the kids will dig it).

Old 11-11-2014   #19
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Panasonic LX100 and light-weight tripod for night scenes.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 11-11-2014   #20
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa66 View Post
Marc,

Having been to Paris many times, I'd suggest that you take the Nikon SP and a wide and telephoto lens. Also bring along a digital for family pics. If you had one, I'd say take a tlr, too

Or simply forgo all of that, and bring the Oly and a zoom (I know - heretical...).

Have fun, and drink good wine and eat good food!

Jan

P.S. I might have told you this before, but definitely try to go to the top of the Tour Effiel at night - it's totally awesome (and have a picnic on the lawn - the kids will dig it).
Just my thought. Several years ago spent three weeks with light luggage and a Stylus Zoom. Came back with some great pictures and never once worried about my camera.

Old 11-11-2014   #21
Richard G

In May I had a Monochrom and a sharp sharp 28 (2.8 ASPH) and my 1970s 50 Summicron. In case of colour I had the Fuji X100, but I used that seldom. Paris is not called the city of light for nothing. All fit in a small shoulder bag. I was very happy with the choice, and the shots. I photographed the queue at the Louvre. It looks like you can't turn up there and get in. A prebooked tour might be the way. Otherwise you'll wait 2 hours or more to get in. With children that would be a deal-breaker.

Old 11-11-2014   #22
porktaco

streets are narrower than in the US. i'm a 50 guy and i was more comfortable with a 35 than i am in the US.

one lens? 50

two lenses? 50 / 35

three? i'd add something in the 75-90 range, but lots of people go wide.

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 11-11-2014   #23
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Paris, a good compact with zoom, 28mm and up.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 11-11-2014   #24
lynnb

Slightly OT as the OP doesn't mention owning Leica: I'm curious why no-one mentions the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar. Is is because of its slow speed? I'd have thought it the idea travel lens, and on digital Ms, the slow speed would be less important.

Back to your OM, why not take a (insert wide angle of your choice)?

Carrying more cameras = more choices to make on-the-go = slows you down = frustrates your family. And the extra weight. I'd try to keep it as simple and lightweight as possible.
Flickr

Old 11-11-2014   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Slightly OT as the OP doesn't mention owning Leica: I'm curious why no-one mentions the 28-35-50 Tri-Elmar. Is is because of its slow speed? I'd have thought it the idea travel lens, and on digital Ms, the slow speed would be less important. ...
I would feel better off with something faster and smaller despite having only one focal length.

G

Old 11-11-2014   #26
leicapixie

Travel photography is best done by traveling light.
When I visited Paris, first time, i had my Nikon F pro rig.
2 bodies, 4 lenses, flash, filters..
I was 23.
It became a burden over many hours..

I am 70.
Visited South Africa, family and vacation.
I chose a small point and shoot digital.
Spare batteries.The Canon 1200 uses AA.
A few memory cards and i was done.
I had access to my daughter's Nikon system..
I never used her pro gear.
If you must take film, choose the camera, you grab 1st when in a hurry.
That's the one to take..with a digital point and shoot..

Old 11-11-2014   #27
02Pilot
Malcontent

I've started to realize that being comfortable with the equipment is more important to me than the specific capabilities of the equipment itself. Once I began traveling with the same kit I found everything started to smooth out. For me, it's two film bodies and 35/50/90: one body w/ 35, one w/50, 90 in reserve. But I don't generally travel with anyone but my girlfriend, who is also a film shooter and isn't bothered by stopping to take photos. If put in a situation where I knew my opportunities would be limited, I'd probably just go with a single camera and the focal length with which I'm most comfortable, the 50.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 11-11-2014   #28
Laviolette

My light travel setup :
- Leica M3 + 50mm Nokton 1.5 + 21mm Skopar
- Fuji X100

Old 11-11-2014   #29
meeker

I was in Paris about 2 years ago and had just my iPhone and a Nikon V1 with 18.5 mm (50mm equiv.). With all that was going on I wasn't wishing for anything more. Here's a few:

My flickr

Old 11-11-2014   #30
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

My typical travel kit:

Leica MP + 50mm V5 cron
Fuji x100s

With 35mm and 50mm focal lengths covered I'm good for most situations. Just carry extra batteries and film and you're good to go. Often times I'll bring a gorillapod to have it, but usually only use it for sunsets or specific photoshoot outings. Won't carry it when walking around a city.

Enjoy your trip to Paris!

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 11-11-2014   #31
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

One digital and lens, one film and lens.
Both lens - wide.
Zero tripod.

Digital for "we were here". Who needs night shots...
Film for fun. Scale focus to catch it fast, RF VF to see it constantly.

Old 11-12-2014   #32
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Film or digital? You decide but I'd like a 28-85 zoom on it or else the trad. three lenses that cover 28 - 85mm.

Also there's a Konica, Leica (C3 is great but I wouldn't trust it and their mini tripod together), Minolta, Olympus or Pentax P&S that covers it all and the lens quality is great. Plus built in flash, small size and dirt cheap as second-hand. (No one minds second hand of it's a Leica M4; so the same should apply to a P&S...)

P&S's are also great for street photography and you can carry them in your shirt pocket and go out drinking in the evening or wander around the side streets, without too much worry about the camera. And you could easily take take 2 or 3 to have a back up and (say) B&W in one and one with a prime, and so on and so forth.

Or, how about the Minolta CLE and it's three lenses, 28, 40 and 90mm? Or less electronicy; the Leica CL with those 2 or 3 lenses?

Regards, David

PS (Edit) Of course, for Paris, you want that smart little Pentax with the soft leather Gucci case, wouldn't you. Silly of me to forget it...

Old 11-12-2014   #33
stephen.w

35mm (or equiv.) and have fun. When I was there earlier this year, I took the X100S and left the Ms at home. See the three big museums (Louvre, Orsay, Pompidou, but not more than one per day) as well as the Magnum Gallery. Otherwise, just wander around, if you walk past a nice-looking cafe, sit down for an espresso or a beer. It is still a magical place.

Old 11-12-2014   #34
raid
Dad Photographer

In our last trip to Paris, I had with me a Canon P with Canon 50/1.2. I "focused" on enjoying the trip with my wife to Paris. When it rained, I was able to hide the basic set under my sweater. My handheld meter fell down and broke, so I enjoyed estimating the exposure for each image.

Sometimes I was off in the exposure chosen.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-12-2014   #35
marcr1230

Great advice from everyone

Life was easy when I was younger and only had an OM kit

Old 11-12-2014   #36
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Just two cameras, at least one for b&w film.
One for natural light, the other one with a fast lens for low light, interiors and night.
Cheers,
Juan

Old 11-12-2014   #37
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

i just came from France and Belgium, and what I used 99% of the time was a 35mm:

Channeling Doisneau
by The Johann Espiritu™, on Flickr

WARNING: Pigeons May Steal Your Lunch

Customer Service

Emergency Manicure

Chien, chien, chien.

Hipsters + Chaos...

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 11-12-2014   #38
micromontenegro

IMHO, Paris needs two cameras: a rangefinder with a fast 50 and a 21, and a tiny camera... say a Rollei 35.

MonaLisa by Santiago Montenegro, on Flickr

Old 11-12-2014   #39
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by porktaco View Post
streets are narrower than in the US. i'm a 50 guy and i was more comfortable with a 35 than i am in the US.

one lens? 50

two lenses? 50 / 35

three? i'd add something in the 75-90 range, but lots of people go wide.
Dear Adam,

The US is a big place. Spent much time in California's Gold Country? Or LA's Little Tokyo? Or SoHo in NY?

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-12-2014   #40
Roger Hicks

3,5cm f/1.1 Nazgulor.

Cheers,

R.