Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Strange Contax G2 shutter release problem
Old 08-23-2007   #1
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Strange Contax G2 shutter release problem

My spare G2 has developed a shutter release problem. It looses acquired focus just before firing and about 10% of the time pressing the shutter will not cause it to fire. About 95% of the time I can focus with the thumb button on the back of the camera and press the shutter release and it works but sometimes it does not fire either. I tested it with my "good" lenses that work OK on my other G2 but it seems it's not the lens problem. Has anyone ever encounter such a behavior of the G2 shutter? Thanks a bunch for any feedback.

Old 08-23-2007   #2
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Not had this happen on mine. You know TOCAD repair?
http://www.tocad.com/contact.html

They do very good work.

Old 08-23-2007   #3
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I've used G2 and a G1 body for about six years and never seen this when the viewfinder glass is clean. Now a thumbprint on the finder glass will mess up the autofocus in ways some cannot imagine.

I have not had need for Tocad service (knock on wood) but I hear that they are as good as Contax service ever was.

Old 08-23-2007   #4
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Thanks guys, I emailed TOCAD to get an estimate. Just hate being without my gear...

Old 08-23-2007   #5
jaap
Jaap

If I may say, try a fresh pair of batteries. A G camera can act strange when the batteries are getting low. (even if the battery low indication is not on) Try before you ship your gear !

Traditional darkroom printer

Old 08-25-2007   #6
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Well, I tried it with fresh batteries (same advice I got from TOCAD on the phone) but it seems the shutter release mechanism needs some attention. The G2 is on its way to TOCAD, crossing my fingers...

Old 08-26-2007   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Sounds like our G2's are reaching middle age?

Old 08-26-2007   #8
jaap
Jaap

I've never had trouble with mine (vingers crossed) Otherwise I have to buy a other one. My second G2 (as new) I bought for 270 euro.

Traditional darkroom printer

Old 08-26-2007   #9
akptc
Shoot first, think later

THis is the 1st time I've encountered a problem with a G2 or a G1. After some detective work, I think I know why the shutter release is sometimes non-responsive. The previous owner used this G2 in CH mode pretty much all the time, with his heavy finger continuosly pushing on the trigger. I bet this has resulted in some contact wear, causing the current fault. But, the good news, this sounds like a simple fix.

Old 05-06-2019   #10
modulor

i have the exacr same problem with my g2! do you ever solved this problem?

Old 05-06-2019   #11
akptc
Shoot first, think later

My G2 was fixed by TOCAD over 10 years ago.. they replaced an assembly for I think just under $200. Not sure who fixes these cameras today...

Old 05-07-2019   #12
frank-grumman

FWIW, my G2 showed similar behavior when there was insufficient vertical lines in the scene which I was attempting to film. When I found some "verticality," I focused and recomposed and shutter operated as expected. Selling G2 and a virtually complete set of G2 lenses was one of the more stupid moves I've carried out in my life. Anyways, I hope this is helpful information.