Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

emergency purchase contax mount lens
Old 05-31-2019   #1
Soder

emergency purchase contax mount lens

Hi all,

anyone know where I can get a contax mount lens super quickly? maybe in caen france? My beloved sonnar 1.5 decemented. my contax iiia is my main camera.. I have no idea how it happened.. anyway. I'm leaving for france monday for the 75th anniversary of d-day. I ordered 2 lenses from respectable dealers, and both came in today in a no bueno state. one had fungus all over it (not in description or pictures) and other had deep circular scratches on it, which also was not in description or pictures. I've tried to find some over night stuff online to no avail.. I live in eastern kentucky by the way. thanks for any help..

Old 05-31-2019   #2
RObert Budding

I'd contact Stephen Gandy and see if he could overnight a modern Voigtlander lens. Not a perfect solution if you want a vintage lens, but he's an excellent dealer and he's small enough that he would likely go out of his way to help.

Good luck, and I hope that you enjoy your trip.

https://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-31-2019   #3
marcr1230

I’d offer you one of mine, it’s be hard to accomplish though , where are you located...
Ah Kentucky,

Old 05-31-2019   #4
Soder

thanks everyone. yeah stephen is a super nice guy very responsive too. turned out though that "overnight" would be here monday morning, and i leave at 0300.. Oh well.. I will see if I can get something there, which i doubt, but I will have my nikonf photmic, and canon 7, so lets just hope their shutters are accurate enough for the ektachrome.. Thanks for the replies

Old 06-02-2019   #5
TenEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soder View Post
Hi all,

anyone know where I can get a contax mount lens super quickly? maybe in caen france? My beloved sonnar 1.5 decemented. my contax iiia is my main camera.. I have no idea how it happened.. anyway. I'm leaving for france monday for the 75th anniversary of d-day. I ordered 2 lenses from respectable dealers, and both came in today in a no bueno state. one had fungus all over it (not in description or pictures) and other had deep circular scratches on it, which also was not in description or pictures. I've tried to find some over night stuff online to no avail.. I live in eastern kentucky by the way. thanks for any help..
This is probably way late but my very late CZ Sonnar (1.8million serial #) did the same thing. While it looked bad it had almost no impact on the actual image forming capabilities of the lens.

Does your speration look like a rainbow band? If so it will likely do nothing. Mine was like that (then sent to H. Scherer for recementing) and it was fine to use it like that. I used a hood of course.

If you have a digital camera you could ascertain it's working fine, which it most likely is.

Old 06-02-2019   #6
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

You should always keep a 40 dollar Helios 103 lens for such emergencies.

Old 06-03-2019   #7
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
You should always keep a 40 dollar Helios 103 lens for such emergencies.
My $12 Helios 103 was 97% the lens that a brand new 50 Summicron (last version pre-aspheric) was wide open and the results were indistinguishable from f/4 on.
Phil Forrest

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Old 06-04-2019   #8
markjwyatt

Jupiter 8's are good and plenty, plus pretty cheap.

Old 06-05-2019   #9
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
My $12 Helios 103 was 97% the lens that a brand new 50 Summicron (last version pre-aspheric) was wide open and the results were indistinguishable from f/4 on.
Phil Forrest

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
A few years ago a Russian or Ukrainian eb*y seller named Jazz something or other was selling a ton of new Helios 103 lenses for 25 USD including shipping.

He even had special bargoon price offers for buyers wanting to buy these newish Helios 103s in greater quantities at a single pop.

Old 06-05-2019   #10
Steve M.

Put a hood on the lens w/ the cleaning marks (circular scratches), avoid shooting directly into the sun, and you'll probably be fine. The one w/ the fungus shouldn't be used. Another vote for a Helois lens. Fun bokeh, plenty sharp, small and cheap.