Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2016   #81
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Political correctness rears its head again. If you don't agree with something, then it is obviously wrong and cannot be talked about. Hear we are promoting violence with knives. My god, next we will be promoting guns of all things! (not).

You say political correctness as though it's a bad thing. But having witnessed the alternatives this year, I have to say I'm hugely proud to be one of the bleeding-heart left-wing liberal scum. We're a dying breed you know. Along with the 'experts'!

Old 11-23-2016   #82
FrankS

A pocket knife is still a pocket knife, but in many places in the world, the world has changed. Rural England or France is probably the least changed.

photography makes me happy

Old 11-23-2016   #83
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Political correctness rears its head again. If you don't agree with something, then it is obviously wrong and cannot be talked about.

They have just banned a Heinz Beans ad in the uk on the strength that someone may cut their hand on the can if they tried to copy what they were doing in the ad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866

As to knife culture I freely admit that it passes me by although Frank is correct in that it is possibly tolerated more in the rural parts of the UK.

Old 11-23-2016   #84
Bill Clark

One of the companies I represented was W. R. Case Knives. They made most of their products here in the U.S. Their product line consisted of knives for collectors, offering special editions and also knives that didn't have too much foreign competition.

It was a tough sell and the volume was low. But Case did have a recognized name and some folks loyal to what they offered.

At any rate, that has been my experiences. Today I have knives I use in the kitchen primarily in preparation for cooking and after it's done like slicing turkey.

I bought a small set of ceramic knives and they work quite well but they can break quite easily.

I haven't had the occasion to use a mulit-purpose, like Swiss Army, but I read Rogers use and I can see how they appeal to some folks.

Old 11-23-2016   #85
Dogman

Less "political correctness" than paranoia. Lot of that going around these days. Seems to be contagious.

Old 11-23-2016   #86
FrankS

The title, with the word culture in it, makes it sound like "gun culture" which some folks in the US have gone crazy with, and is irredeemable. It was unfortunate to link the two.

Old 11-23-2016   #87
Jockos

I think the knife regulations in Sweden is utter crap. If I want to sit out in a park, share a baguette and some cheese with my girlfriend, I'll have to do all the cutting at home. No buying non pre-sliced bread or hard cheese on the way to the destination and cutting it on site.
Also, not being able to carry my leatherman on me, severely hinders my job as a technician. I won't even take this up with my boss, because I'm afraid to be labelled a violent lunatic.

And people still get cut down in the street, even though it's illegal to carry a knife!

Da gallery

Old 11-23-2016   #88
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
The title, with the word culture in it, makes it sound like "gun culture" which some folks in the US have gone crazy with, and is irredeemable. It was unfortunate to link the two.
And in many parts of the UK there is definitely a 'knife culture', with children carrying them as a status symbol, which leads to other kids carrying them for protection etc. I'm sure it's the same in many countries these days.

There has been a lot of work done by the police and local authorities over the last five years to try and break the cycle of knife carrying. They have been clamping down on sales and have had amnesties, but sadly stabbings are on the rise again.

As an aside, my dog and I were almost knocked down yesterday by a lad riding his bike on the pavement in the pitch black. I yelled, "Hey! You nearly hit me!", and he went completely bananas, threw his bike down and started running back down the street shouting threats of violence. Luckily I was right next to my front door, so I ducked inside and let out a deep breath. But I have to say, for a moment I had a horrible fear inside about what he may be carrying.

Not exactly looking forward to my evening walk later on. We'll definitely be heading out before sunset today

Old 11-23-2016   #89
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
And in many parts of the UK there is definitely a 'knife culture', with children carrying them as a status symbol, which leads to other kids carrying them for protection etc. I'm sure it's the same in many countries these days.

There has been a lot of work done by the police and local authorities over the last five years to try and break the cycle of knife carrying. They have been clamping down on sales and have had amnesties, but sadly stabbings are on the rise again.

As an aside, my dog and I were almost knocked down yesterday by a lad riding his bike on the pavement in the pitch black. I yelled, "Hey! You nearly hit me!", and he went completely bananas, threw his bike down and started running back down the street shouting threats of violence. Luckily I was right next to my front door, so I ducked inside and let out a deep breath. But I have to say, for moment I had a horrible fear inside about what he may be carrying.

Not exactly looking forward to my evening walk later on. We'll definitely be heading out before sunset today
Unfortunately the world has changed.

Old 11-23-2016   #90
daveleo
what?

I always have in my pocket a Spyderco Dragonfly (orange handle).
Great little knife.

Haven't ever wanted to stab anybody, but there's a couple of people I could happily hit with a bat.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 11-23-2016   #91
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
And in many parts of the UK there is definitely a 'knife culture', with children carrying them as a status symbol,
Is it? Sure, statistics for "knife crime" claim there are 200,000 incidents a year. But on deeper inspection, that appears to amount to around 199,700 charges of possession and a mere 300 incidents where a knife was actually used to hurt or kill anybody:

https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/s...ife_report.pdf

Old 11-23-2016   #92
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
As an aside, my dog and I were almost knocked down yesterday by a lad riding his bike on the pavement in the pitch black. I yelled, "Hey! You nearly hit me!", and he went completely bananas, threw his bike down and started running back down the street shouting threats of violence. Luckily I was right next to my front door, so I ducked inside and let out a deep breath. But I have to say, for a moment I had a horrible fear inside about what he may be carrying.

He knows where you live now... You should probably move.

Old 11-23-2016   #93
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
He knows where you live now... You should probably move.
Or perhaps I should just carry a knife?

Old 11-23-2016   #94
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I'm really puzzled that this Roger's thread is considered as "knives promotion". Sharing stories (and pictures - on photography site) is closer to a "survey" category rather than "promotion"...
Well, yes. My point was simply that here in France we don't have any significant problem with knives. We aren't overrun with paranoid lunatics, and I therefore suggest that the roots of knife phobia lie elsewhere than in the availability of knives.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #95
oftheherd

Wow, what a strange turn this thread has taken.

When I was a kid, living in the country, most men, and boys of around 8 to 10 years old carried pocket knives. One didn't use them every hour of every day, but there were reasons; whittling, cutting thread or other things like leather or cloth, cleaning or cutting fingernails, cutting food, playing mumblypeg (sp), and other non-aggressive or non-deadly things. I carried knives for years, usually inexpensive but serviceable. I was taught how to sharpen a knife, as that was considered proper, and a sharp knife was considered safer than a dull knife.

9/11 made it impossible to do so. I don't travel much any more, at least not by air. So I have learned to live without my 2 blade pen knife, and don't even consider my Swiss Knife or Leatherman. They sit at home waiting for the world to get better.

I don't recall I ever took a photo of any of my own knives. I wouldn't think it strange to do so though, as long as it was just a documentary thing of my property.

Fujilove - Sorry about your bad experiences. But if like me, your favorite 35mm camera is an ST 901, on a strap, it can be formidable for self defense.

In Seoul, Korea in the 80s, a large man approached another soldier on a dark and deserted street, and demanded the camera carried by the second man (an Olympus OM1). Realizing his predicament, the second soldier promptly gave it to him... holding it by the strap and swinging it into the head of the attacker. I was told it still worked after that too.

Old 11-23-2016   #96
oftheherd

Quote:
Or perhaps I should just carry a knife?
Or a walking stick?

Old 11-23-2016   #97
mslatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Is it? Sure, statistics for "knife crime" claim there are 200,000 incidents a year. But on deeper inspection, that appears to amount to around 199,700 charges of possession and a mere 300 incidents where a knife was actually used to hurt or kill anybody:

I agree. They use the same sort of statistics here in the US. All of it is rubbish, and the numbers are derived the same way. Police taking pocket knives from children, law abiding citizens, and petty criminals (it was in the criminals pocket, and not used in the crime, during arrest), and compiling those statistics with the number of crimes committed with a knife, with no differentiation.

Old 11-23-2016   #98
Vobluda

I think that the problem you have encountered is elsewhere then in the title and content of this thread.

Quote:

Old 11-23-2016   #99
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
They have just banned a Heinz Beans ad in the uk on the strength that someone may cut their hand on the can if they tried to copy what they were doing in the ad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866
That's because while 99% of people in Britain do nothing but moan about 'health and safety gone mad', they are also straight to the solicitors in an effort to blame someone else when they hurt themselves. It's never their own fault for having no common sense, so the advertising standards agency has had to step in.

Case in point: Just watch what happens if and when we end up with an awful Brexit deal from the EU. I guarantee the people who voted 'out' won't say, "damn. I really shouldn't have voted that way". Instead they'll be screaming about the other European nations being deliberately vindictive/selfish or whatever. Despite anyone with seven brain cells being able to see what would happen if we wanted no immigration and access to the single market.

Doh.

Hmm..I think I may have strayed off-topic.

Old 11-23-2016   #100
micromontenegro

How come a nice thread about a tool is now about a snowflake? LOL

Old 11-23-2016   #101
Mackinaw
Think Different

I’m amazed on how the tone of this thread has changed. I live in a rural area of northern Michigan. Most guys I know carry a pocket knife. We just do. And yet we survive quite nicely.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 11-23-2016   #102
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post

You're not supposed to look at FACTS!

As for those who say, "The world has changed," well, yes. And why has it changed? Because of paranoia, alarmism, and the consequent criminalization of perfectly normal, innocent behaviour such as carrying a Leatherman multi-tool. A Leatherman would be a lot less useful without a blade, and few countries are as paranoid as the UK, so they make 'em with blades.

Likewise, a locking blade is a lot safer than a non-locking blade, because it can't fold unexpectedly and cut the user -- who is far likelier to be cutting a sausage, or the tape on a parcel, than one of his enemies. A sense of proportion is all that's required.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #103
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Im amazed on how the tone of this thread has changed. I live in a rural area of northern Michigan. Most guys I know carry a pocket knife. We just do. And yet we survive quite nicely.

Jim B.
Dear Jim,

Exactly. But it seems that such a reasonable comment now puts you alongside me as a dangerous lunatic, at least in the eyes of some.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #104
Roger Hicks

Quote:
That's because while 99% of people in Britain do nothing but moan about 'health and safety gone mad', they are also straight to the solicitors in an effort to blame someone else when they hurt themselves. . . .
Are you sure that you are not exaggerating ever so slightly?

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #105
FrankS

Roger: As for those who say, "The world has changed," well, yes. And why has it changed? Because of paranoia, alarmism, and the consequent criminalization of perfectly normal, innocent behaviour such as carrying a Leatherman multi-tool.

I say that simply as an observation, not as a reason or excuse.

I rounded up my knives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (23.8 KB, 28 views)

Old 11-23-2016   #106
Pentode

Unless I'm flying, I always carry a pocket knife. At work, it's typically a Cub Scout knife or a Swiss army. Off work, it's usually a small pen knife. I have a drawer full of pocket knives which I rotate often.

My older sister gave me my first good pocket knife when I was about 7 years old. An Imperial stockman, which I still have (I also still have the big sister!). She told me at the time that no one should ever leave the house without a pocket knife. Sage advice, and I seldom do.

I have never used a knife against another person, nor have I ever looked for a reason to.
I have little interest in "tactical" knives. I'm only interested in utilitarian designs.

I've never taken any pictures of my knives, but now you have me thinking....

On a similar topic, I took an interest in using a straight razor about 20 years ago, which led to a sizable collection of nice, old razors which I used for about a decade (and then got lazy). I never used one of those against another person either, but I did drag them across my own face quite a lot! (And no, I never took photos of the razors, either)

Old 11-23-2016   #107
skopar steve

I'm quite proud of my RFF friends here. I thought this thread would go off the rails much sooner than it has.

The Swiss Army knife is my tool of choice for daily carry. Fits on my key ring and is always at the ready for opening packages, cutting a piece of fruit etc. Things must have changed in Europe, I still have a Swiss Army knife purchased in Germany in the eighties. Bought if for a picnic. Has two blades and a cork screw. Seemed like a normal thing to do on a nice day in the country. Didn't realize I was contributing to a violent knife culture.

Recently our state lifted the ban on self opening knives. It was at the bequest of the EMT's who found it difficult to open emergency knives, like the Gerber EZ out rescue knife while tending to an injured person. And what do you know, there was not a spike in the number of stabbings. In fact we didn't go around stabbing each other to begin with, so the ban seemed pretty silly. But I suppose if you live around a bunch of homicidal maniacs, having bans on certain objects might make someone feel safer.

Old 11-23-2016   #108
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger: As for those who say, "The world has changed," well, yes. And why has it changed? Because of paranoia, alarmism, and the consequent criminalization of perfectly normal, innocent behaviour such as carrying a Leatherman multi-tool.

I say that simply as an observation, not as a reason or excuse.
Dear Frank,

Yes, but who changes it? A few fanatics who are unable to understand that 99.9 recurring per cent of knife use is perfectly harmless and useful, with the enormous help of those who shrug and say "The world has changed." Yes it has. But we can change it back, or forwards, or sideways, by refusing to accept the nonsense promulgated by those who wish to ban things, or those who love (or cannot be bothered to contradict) hysterical lies.

Certain elections and referenda spring to mind...

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #109
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post
I'm quite proud of my RFF friends here. I thought this thread would go off the rails much sooner than it has.

The Swiss Army knife is my tool of choice for daily carry. Fits on my key ring and is always at the ready for opening packages, cutting a piece of fruit etc. Things must have changed in Europe, I still have a Swiss Army knife purchased in Germany in the eighties. Bought if for a picnic. Has two blades and a cork screw. Seemed like a normal thing to do on a nice day in the country. Didn't realize I was contributing to a violent knife culture.

Recently our state lifted the ban on self opening knives. It was at the bequest of the EMT's who found it difficult to open emergency knives, like the Gerber EZ out rescue knife while tending to an injured person. And what do you know, there was not a spike in the number of stabbings. In fact we didn't go around stabbing each other to begin with, so the ban seemed pretty silly. But I suppose if you live around a bunch of homicidal maniacs, having bans on certain objects might make someone feel safer.
Dear Steve,

Greetings to a fellow homicidal maniac who is bent on promoting a murderous knife culture!

As many others have aid, knives aren't really much of a weapon for offence or defence, and very few of us go around stabbing one another anyway, so focusing on that (and that alone) seems distinctly eccentric to me.

And, of course, like Sevo you are guilty of introducing mere facts to a rational discussion.

I've just remembered another use for my Leatherman. A few years ago I was in the Julian Alps and accidentally banged my M4-P against a rock (well, I'd hardly do it deliberately, would I?) I bent the stem of the rewind crank crank slightly, stopping it turning. Fortunately, with the Leatherman pliers I was able to straighten it enough to use it again. What should I have done? Stopped taking pictures; gone home; submitted an accident report in triplicate to my insurance company; then sent the camera to an Authorized Repairer? Nah, sorry. Some of us have lives to lead. And indeeed picnics to eat.

For that matter, I was once riding an Enfield Bullet in south India when I hit a patch of soft sand that had blown across the road. I slowed almost to a stop but then fell off. My right elbow found the only pebble in the sand; a strip of skin about 5-6cm long and 1 cm wide was hanging off. So I disinfected it with some Old Monk rum that I had in my water-bottle, cut off the strip of skin with the scissors on my Swiss Army Knife; dressed it with my first aid kit; and rode on to the first clinic I could find. Again, what would I have done without the Swiss Army knife? Bound the dirt into the wound?

Not carrying a knife may be practical if you never do anything or go anywhere, except perhaps a daily commute to your office, but if you've got a life, you need a knife (good slogan, what?).

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #110
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Frank,

Yes, but who changes it? A few fanatics who are unable to understand that 99.9 recurring per cent of knife use is perfectly harmless and useful, with the enormous help of those who shrug and say "The world has changed." Yes it has. But we can change it back, or forwards, or sideways, by refusing to accept the nonsense promulgated by those who wish to ban things, or those who love (or cannot be bothered to contradict) hysterical lies.

Certain elections and referenda spring to mind...

Cheers,

R.
How did those elections and referendums turn out? (Not well.) I'm afraid we've underestimated the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 11-23-2016   #111
Roger Hicks

Quote:
How did those elections and referendums turn out? (Not well.) I'm afraid we've underestimated the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dear Frank,

Quite. Because those who could see through the lies and nonsense kept too quiet! Rage, rage against the idiots, the paranoiacs, the gullible, the liars; show them up for what they are.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-23-2016   #112
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Are you sure that you are not exaggerating ever so slightly?

Cheers,

R.
Almost certainly, but I'll bet I'm only a few percentage points out!

Old 11-23-2016   #113
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post

With almost 13,000 murders last year in the U.S. and 9000 involving guns and knives, you actually ARE living around a bunch of homicidal people. I don't know whether they're maniacs or not, but I'm damn sure there wouldn't be as many deaths if you had remotely sensible weapons laws.

Old 11-23-2016   #114
daveleo
what?

Lock knives are illegal in places?
Knives that *don't* lock are dangerous (the blade closes too easily) and *they* should not be legal.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 11-23-2016   #115
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Really? Only 9000 murders used guns or knives? There should be laws where criminals have to use only guns and knives, and ban the more horrible methods.

The thread was started for people to show their favorite knives.
Someone, no matter what the subject, has to turn the topic to "how bad" (insert thing here) is.

Old 11-23-2016   #116
scigeek

Quote:

You need a bigger dog!

That would have been a really nice shot, except the dogs eyes are out of focus. I blame the point-and-shoot Olympus Trip.

I carry two knives routinely - an Opinel for fishing and shooting, and a serrated fixed-blade canoe knife on my PFD (personal floatation device) for kayaking (sharks, sea-monsters - you never know!) .
Acutally its a safety-knife to cut away rigging and rope in the event of a spill/tangle.

Old 11-23-2016   #117
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
The thread was started for people to show their favorite knives.
Someone, no matter what the subject, has to turn the topic to "how bad" (insert thing here) is.
1+

I had something similar typed up, but decided not to post...

Old 11-23-2016   #118
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
1+

I had something similar typed up, but decided not to post...

Same here ... will full derailment .
We even had Brexit thrown in .... unbelievable.

I was enjoying the thread too up `till then.

Old 11-23-2016   #119
maxmadco

I was enjoying the thread as well and was going to post some of the knives I make and carry everyday.

Old 11-23-2016   #120
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Are we mice? Or men!

Closed Thread