Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

Flash Accessories - triggers/stand/softbox
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Flash Accessories - triggers/stand/softbox

I would like to toss together a small off camera flash kit.

Thinking it should consist of:
A compact light stand
Wireless triggers (replace my old opticals)
A soft box of some sort
A decently powerful Auto flash

TTL is a none issue with my old camera.
Looking for recommendations from members on filling out this list!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
madNbad

Spend your money on good stands. Cheap stands fail at the worst time and the locking hardware tends to wear out quickly. Check for local sales, someone is always unloading decent stands. If you just want flashes for occasional use, buy a set of Youngo's and a trigger. The flashes have built in receivers and do a good job for the price. You should be able to get a couple of flashes and a trigger for less than $200. If you want to spend a bit, or maybe a lot, more money: LumaPro. If you're not worried about portability, check the local ads. I see studio gear come up on craigslist all the time for cheap. Lastly, get a decent background support. You can always go to a fabric store and pick out some material. Have fun!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
charjohncarter

I use a Paul Buff trigger, just their simplest. I also like the Minolta 320x completely adjustable to 1/16 with three auto settings. I have five or six and got them on Ebay for $25 or less. Also shoot through umbrellas are handy to use quickly; they are a problem outdoors (wind).

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
shimokita
白黒

I am using "Impact PowerSync16 DC Radio Slave System... mfg by "SMDV" / "FlashWave" in Korea. A set of Tr & Rc is currently on sale at B&H for 70.00 USD for the pair. Just add an extra Rc and you're good to go. Not TTL and they work with most cameras (cable and hotshoe flash connections).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...dio_Slave.html

I use the above with my Nikon F3 / F3P and Leica MP

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
B-9
Devin Bro

Pretty sure I have a 320x in one of many Rubbermaid’s still full of random camera stuff.

Yikes... who do I give this stuff too? Lol... seriously who?

I want to build from scratch with this project.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Nokton48

I just rebuilt my Norman 200B strobes. Digi-Key has lead acid replacement batteries under $30 Yeah!
200 Watt second portable but heavy pro grade strobe. 2X the power of a 283 (next best choice)

New York City Flash Clinic (sadly no more) modified my Hasselblad Ringlight and slightly modified my packs so no afterglow. Back in the eighties the power strobe ringlight was a (somewhat overused!) look that no self respecting big to do fashion photographer would be without.

I'm about to start using mine again.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Godox has pretty interesting items these days.

In particular, I use the Godox TT685s with their radio trigger. Here's an interesting little point: My units are TT685s, dedicated for Sony. The Trigger is also dedicated Sony. But the -N trigger, dedicated Nikon, will control the -S flash units. Since I use both Nikon and Sony bodies, this is a pretty handy feature.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
B-9
Devin Bro

I still have a handful of 283’s I barebulb modified years ago when the Strobist communities were still relevant. Around the time.. maybe before I joined RFF.

Want something newer and fresh... like a LCD... lol!

All the rest of that stuff is going to sale or local thrift shop. Maybe Photrio free section.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
charjohncarter

Sounds like you have plenty of good stuff to make a start. But newer is not always better. If you get a good trigger and try some of your old flashes, and if they don't do the job go hunting. I have a new DSLR and I tried a few new flashes but I had to get the manual out every time I used them, so I went back to the stuff I was comfortable with. New flashes have too many screen and buttons for me.

Also, the best thing I ever did for flash photography was to get a meter that meters flash.