Lomography Potsdam Kino
Old 05-08-2019   #1
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Lomography Potsdam Kino

It is very hard to wade through the deep verbage of Lomo's pages. Does anyone know what this film is?

https://shop.lomography.com/en/lomog...rce=newsletter

Old 05-08-2019   #2
HHPhoto

Yes, it is (probably expired) FilmoTec (ORWO brand) UN 54:
http://www.filmotec.de/
http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=13

I say 'probably expired' because in their announcement of the Berlin Kino (which is FilmoTec N74) film they even said "they have found an expired jumbo roll" of this film.

You can buy both films fresh directly from FilmoTec as long bulk rolls.

Cheers, Jan

Old 05-08-2019   #3
robert blu
quiet photographer

Has anyone tried it? I'm curious about first hand experience by...experienced photographers !
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-08-2019   #4
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Has anyone tried it? I'm curious about first hand experience by...experienced photographers !
robert
I've used the original films UN 54 and N74.
Good, solid films, but nothing spectacular. I liked the UN 54 more. N74 was too grainy for me.
But if I compare UN54 to e.g. Adox CHS 100 II, the Adox is better: Sharper, higher resolution.

Cheers, Jan

Old 05-09-2019   #5
dourbalistar

I also suspect that it's an ORWO film. Perhaps slightly off topic, but Lomo also released a 400 speed version, Berlin Kino. At the bottom of this review for the Berlin Kino, there's an update note that says, "...the Berlin and Potsdam are not really limited. They are here to stay."
https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...o-film-review/

Even Lomo's own site shows Berlin Kino edge markings that say ORWO N74:
https://www.lomography.com/magazine/...-tipster-guide

Anyway, I'm currently shooting through a bulk roll of ORWO N74+, and I agree with Jan that it's a bit grainy. I've got samples posted on this thread.

flickr

Old 05-09-2019   #6
zuiko85

[QUOTEll their =HHPhoto;2886484]Yes, it is (probably expired) FilmoTec (ORWO brand) UN 54:
http://www.filmotec.de/
http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=13

I say 'probably expired' because in their announcement of the Berlin Kino (which is FilmoTec N74) film they even said "they have found an expired jumbo roll" of this film.

You can buy both films fresh directly from FilmoTec as long bulk rolls.

Cheers, Jan[/quote]
Although there is a ORWO North America website almost all their listed films are “currently unavailable”. Too bad, I’d like to try their 16mm 100 speed film in my Minolta 16 cameras.

Old 05-09-2019   #7
HHPhoto

As written above, you can order directly at the factory in Germany.

Cheers, Jan

Old 05-09-2019   #8
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Although there is a ORWO North America website almost all their listed films are “currently unavailable”. Too bad, I’d like to try their 16mm 100 speed film in my Minolta 16 cameras.
Zuiko85, you could try emailing ORWO NA. It was also listed as "currently unavailable" when I was looking, but I emailed directly, and George from ORWO NA let me know when they expected new stock.

Also, check Film Photography Project's store:
https://filmphotographystore.com/col...m-100-ft-30-5m

flickr

Old 07-19-2019   #9
patois

I like the Berlin 400 but haven't yet developed my Potsdam.

Old 07-19-2019   #10
Steve M.

I know what you mean about wading through the verbage. My ex wife must be working for them. Her strategy was always....if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t.

Old 09-17-2019   #11
CharlesDAMorgan

A friend shot some photos on this and I rather liked the result, and immediately given the Lomography description thought it was going to be Orwo uN54. I've been meaning to try some Orwo since another friend, heavily into Eastern European motoring and other history told me it was the descendent of films produced at the great Agfa plant at Wolfen. As a test I've shot one roll of the Potsdam in my OM2n with 100mm f2.8 lens, and I've now developed it in Adonal 1:50 for 10 minutes. I've reloaded the OM2n with Orwo uN54 spooled by Nik and Trick and will try and shoot that soon, to have some comparisons unaffected by lens choice. The results are, to my pleasure, quite appealing in a rather soft and vintage way. If the uN54 comes out as well, I plan to buy a large roll and spool it, then use some other lenses.

I thought Adonal / Rodinal seemed an appropriate developer, 10 minutes at 1:50 as suggested by ORWO rather than the 9 1/2 suggested by Lomography. It was a very bright day when the street shots were done and I suspect my OM2n meter to be slightly over-exposing. I might scale back developing time a little for my next roll. I hated the plastic capsule for the film - the packaging for the film said made in China - and had a reel (sorry) fight to get the film out of it. There were a few scratches on the film itself, but I'm unsure about the origin - my fight or there before. The negatives are very nice, flat and easy to scan.

A bit of cropping on this one at Paddington station.

In shade the choice of 100 iso with a slowish (f2.8) lens meant I had too many shots with a small amount of camera blur. Possibly not the best street combination. Overall though I'm very happy with it - it has a unique look, is a bit soft (that maybe the Zuiko being shot wide open most of the time). But in Lomography form, it's far too expensive and offers nothing for the 50% premium over Ilford FP4+. At re-spooled prices if ORWO uN54, the decision to shoot it would be very easy indeed.

Cropped a bit at Paddington station.

As shot for the following two

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-18-2019   #12
dourbalistar

Thanks for sharing, Charles! It does have an interesting look, and the grain is much finer than ORWO N74+ from what I can see in your images. Any edge markings of note on the Lomo Potsdam Kino?

flickr

Old 09-18-2019   #13
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks dourbalister - there are no markings whatsoever. Grain is a bit more than modern emulsions, but Rodinal pulls it out a little anyway. I'll experiment a lot more if I like the uN54.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 09-19-2019   #14
CharlesDAMorgan

Just developed and scanned a roll of ORWO uN54 and that has no markings, it has the same excellent base, similar salt and pepper grain and an old fashioned look. So I'd say it's the same. So time to get a reel and start self loading.

The market hall in Amersham old town.