Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X Series

Fuji X100F vs XE3 as Backup for MP240
Old 03-06-2019   #1
ktmrider

Fuji X100F vs XE3 as Backup for MP240

So, I am looking at a 4-6 month trip around the world leaving about Sept or Oct, 2019. I plan on doing a lot of photography and my primary camera is a MP240 and I plan on carrying 25mm 35mm, and 90mm lenses (all very small at f2.8). Might even consider leaving the 25 and 90 behind.

I want to travel super light and will use only carry on luggage. The photo stuff fits nicely in a small Billingham (could use larger Domkes as I have several different models) if push comes to shove but I want to travel with minimal luggage.

Would you think about taking a small camera as a backup? I owned an original X100 and have been looking at the X100F but the more I read says the XE3 with 23f2 lens gives you the same capabilities as the X100 (minus viewfinder) and allows interchangeable lenses. And the XE3 with the kit zoom covers 27-85 in 35mm equivalent which might be a better option.

I never found the original X100 to be too limiting and there is something to be said about the simplicity of a fixed lens. So for those of you who shoot with the X100 or XE3, which do you prefer? The biggest limitations I see with both Fuji's is neither is weather sealed. And for others, can you suggest a different model besides the two Fuji's which would work as a back up?

And honestly if the MP240 went down, I could get a camera enroute. In fact, I may purchase the backup in Tokyo as it is my first destination. Followed by Korea, Philippines, India, Jordan and Europe.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-06-2019   #2
jsrockit

Either will be fine, but as a backup...the X-E3 can use your Leica lenses with an adapter. For truly small... the X-E3 and 27mm lens is where it is at.

Old 03-06-2019   #3
michaelwj
----------------

The main reason to get the x100 over the xe3 is the hybrid VF. Otherwise, it is a little bi smaller as well.
But then you can change lenses on the xe3...
I’d go the x100 because I like the VF. If I wanted a zoom in a back up camera on a minimal holiday then I’d go for an rx100 or similar.

Old 03-06-2019   #4
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

On a far briefer trip to Italy, I took the X100s and the M-D 262/ZM 50. All-day M-toting takes a toll on my neck and shoulders, so it was a relief and a pleasure some days to use the far lighter Xcam. (On days I carried both, I could also consult the X100 screen to help determine M-D exposures. This won’t be an issue for you.)

I might proceed differently now—a Leica T instead of the X100s, to be able to use lightweight T lenses (23, 18-56), as well as mount small 50 and 21 M lenses.

Have a great journey. Don’t overpack!

http://rhl.photography

Old 03-06-2019   #5
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

I agree with JSRockit. I've got an M262 and an XE-3 with the Fuji 18mm/27mm/35mm lenses as well as the Leica adapter. I rarely use the adapter on the XE-3, but if I want it, its there. And the XE-3 with 27mm is indeed tiny! I recently went to Joshua Tree with just the XE-3 and 18mm and had a blast needing only that one setup for the whole day.

Old 03-06-2019   #6
shawn

Have you considered some form of an A7? Use your Leica glass on it. I have the M240 and a A7RII and think they go well with each other. With a TAP adapter you can even get AF with your existing RF lenses. Sony's interface is kind of a mess but with adapted lenses once it is setup you don't need to go into the menus much. Map the important functions to buttons and setup the function menu as needed.

Shawn

Old 03-06-2019   #7
Dogman

I've owned XE and X100 cameras but not the specific models mentioned. Both have good points to consider--lens interchangeability with the XE3 and hybrid VF with the X100F. If you go the XE route, I agree the best choice for small size is the 27mm pancake lens.

Either camera will work fine as a backup. I would go with the X100F just for the excellent viewfinder because I'm not always happy using EVFs outdoors in bright sunlight. They are wonderful indoors and in low light shooting however.

It's a win/win deal to me.

Old 03-06-2019   #8
taemo

if you’re happy with a fixed 35mm equiv FL camera then X100F would be my option, the fact that you cant change lens is a reassurance that the sensor will never get dirty. You could get the wcl if you prefer a wider 28mm fl.

food for thought but have you considered the Ricoh GR III? now that is even smaller, 28mm but can be cropped to 35. although i heard battery life is not the best.

im actually on the same fence, undecided between the x100f and griii
i like the xe3 and would only consider it if I were looking to get other lenses

Old 03-06-2019   #9
AlexBG

If you are planning on travelling super light I would take your leica and the 35mm and leave it at that. Having two cameras and more than one lens will mean you will be thinking about gear when the 35mm and leica will do 99% of the shooting you want.

Buy a few 4/8gb memory cards and as you travel and fill them up post them home.

Old 03-06-2019   #10
ktmrider

Well, I see that the Ricoh GR3 has just been introduced. I had and loved the FujiX70 until my wife wanted to see if it would survive a Scottish monsoon during our walk around Loch Ness in September (it did not. It was in her backpack which was not waterproof.)

I may have to take a look at it as I really enjoyed the X70.

Old 03-06-2019   #11
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

A GR of some kind—good idea. Especially if you set Snap focus and use a 28 ovf. Or like me, wear a tiny Hoodman loupe (which fits my GR screen) for critical focus....well, maybe not ).

http://rhl.photography

Old 03-06-2019   #12
peterm1

I always like to have a backup camera of some sort "just in case" and in this context, I have tended to use my Panasonic GX 7 as backup for my M8 when out on photographic expeditions - especially if travelling overseas.. it is a relatively small but "dense" camera and has he advantage of having interchangeable lenses, thus my M lenses can readily be adapted to it, and of course native M4/3 lenses can be used when AF is needed. The only disadvantage I find is the the crop factor associated with the M4/3 sensor but in my case as I often like to shoot longer lenses anyway the crop factor is less of an impediment. In those circumstances where I need something wider I am inclined to use a Samyang 12mm f2 which is a very competent with the equivalent f.o.v. of a 24mm on full frame.

I think there are quite a few cameras that would qualify as a good back up available in today's market and your suggestion of an x100f is sound provided you are happy with fixed 35mm equivalent. But if you need more flexibility the XE3 should be fine (I have a lot of respect for all of Fuji's offerings and would have considered something of this sort had I not fallen down the M4/3 rabbit hole - though don't get me wrong the M4/3 system is surprisingly sound but I suspect that Fuji's offerings have some advantages given their sensor technology).

Old 03-06-2019   #13
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Well, I see that the Ricoh GR3 has just been introduced. I had and loved the FujiX70 until my wife wanted to see if it would survive a Scottish monsoon during our walk around Loch Ness in September (it did not. It was in her backpack which was not waterproof.)

I may have to take a look at it as I really enjoyed the X70.
if you liked the Fuji X70 ergonomics and files, then you should look at the X10. It is also cheaper than the GR III

Old 03-06-2019   #14
Huss

Just take the Leica kit. if anything happens - and it won't - grab something else out there.

Old 03-07-2019   #15
willie_901

Between these two I pick the X100F. You can use this camera as you use the MP240 (OVF with frame lines). When your trip is over the X100F you might occasionally enjoy using the X100F as a compact camera. The teleconverters perform well and are relatively small. Howvever they cost $300-350.

I would choose an X-Pro 2 with the FUJIFILM M adapter ($200). With the adapter can use the 25 and 50 M lenses in the unlikely event the MP240 has issues. The X-Pro 2 is weather resistant. Again, the X-Pro 2 OVF is more RF-like than the X-T3. Its similarity to the MP240 means you might want to sell it when the trip is over. KEH is selling the X-Pro 2 for $1,100.

A new X100F costs less than an X-Pro 2. Yet a KEH X100F costs about the same as a KEH X-Pro 2.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-07-2019   #16
splitimageview

For super light travel I’d take two X-E3 and the 16, 23, and 56mm lenses and leave the Leica at home.

Old 03-07-2019   #17
Frankd

You might also consider Panasonic Lumix LX100 or GX850. They are fairly small and perform well. Good backup and maybe would be better for some situations than the Leica. That is what I found on my last trip.

Old 03-07-2019   #18
BillBingham2

How about an M8.2?

B2 (;->

Old 03-07-2019   #19
ktmrider

With the state of technology today, there are just too many damm choices. Honestly, there are a lot of great cameras on the market and none would be a mistake. I am attracted to the idea of just taking the MP240 and a single lens, either a 35 or 50. Presently, I am leaning toward a 35.

Of course, the argument is why just travel with a single lens on a Leica when its ability to change lenses is a main selling point. A Fuji X100 is a hell of a lot cheaper and arguably a more advanced or better camera with auto focus and built in flash.

I bought the MP240 to use and travel photography/street is one of my favorite types of photography.

Old 03-07-2019   #20
giganova

For light travel, as you said, I'd either take the X100F or the M with one lens and no backup.

Old 03-07-2019   #21
E.M

If it were me , I 'd take a film Leica M as a back-up , same mount and both full frame .

Old 03-07-2019   #22
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Won't a 35mm f2 lens cover what X100 will do?

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 03-07-2019   #23
benlees

KISS. Just take your M240+one lens. If anything happens, get a camera on the trip. The less there is to think about, the better; especially when traveling.

Old 03-07-2019   #24
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Darling,
Giganova is right, of course. For instance, look at David Harvey (och, what a beautiful man...): one lens. 35mm in 135. Yes, I know. He also uses a D800 with a 50. But the point is that you can do a NatGeo feature with "just" a 35. He did several. One camera. One lens.

Try it. Liberation! I did Peru (Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado) for 6 months with a pair of Fuji X100Fs. The only reason I had two is, well, it's my job.

Mme. O

Old 03-08-2019   #25
ktmrider

As I posted earlier, there are just too many choices. I think some of the urge is GAS which I am trying to resist. And unfortunately there are no camera stores here in El Paso so I have been watching videos on youtube and reading lots of reviews.

Am not really sure I need a backup so we will see. The first stop on the RTW trip will be Tokyo so I will probably wait. It would be great to spend a day looking at all the latest toys. Some of the possibilities include the X100F, XF10 (had X70 and enjoyed it), Ricoh GR3 and perhaps the XE3 with 23mm.

Does anyone know if cameras are cheaper in Tokyo then NYC? Saw a video about buying cameras in Japan which showed a 8% refund for a foreigner and another 6% using a MasterCard.

Old 03-08-2019   #26
lawrence

Quote:
Am not really sure I need a backup so we will see.
You won't need a backup until you need it. Gear can go wrong at any time so if you take your photography seriously you need to take a backup, even though it's unlikely you'll actually need to use it.

Old 03-08-2019   #27
umcelinho
Marcelo

If you could buy a backup camera anywhere during your trip, perhaps leave it to chance and IF you have an issue with the M240, then go to a shop and get a backup. Unless you'd want to use them side by side, like having a dedicated wide angle camera. In that sense the X-E3 is a better option, just need to buy a 23 or a 35 to cover the focal length you'll be shooting on the Leica.

Old 03-08-2019   #28
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Does anyone know if cameras are cheaper in Tokyo then NYC? Saw a video about buying cameras in Japan which showed a 8% refund for a foreigner and another 6% using a MasterCard.
Yodobashi has a discount when you buy using VISA cards, that I'm sure. You gotta check though if it's worth the difference, because from what I've felt prices are somewhat similar to the ones in the US, if you apply these discounts... if not, they'll likely be more expensive.

Old 03-08-2019   #29
ptpdprinter

Buy the camera before you go. That way, if there is any problem, you will be able to return or exchange it. It also won't hurt to familiarize yourself with its operation before your trip.

Old 03-08-2019   #30
ktmrider

Since I am trying to go around the world with just a carry on backpack, taking a film Leica as a backup is just too much. Presently, my film body is an M5 which is not the most svelte of the Leica film bodies.

In fact, I debate (on another thread) if I want to take the 35f2.8 C Biogon or the 35f1.2 Nokton. My normal travel kit is a Leica body (MP240) with 35 and 90. If lazy and only taking one lens, the 50 Summicron.

I have traveled on trips to Peru and Central America with only a X100, motorcycled in Laos and traveled throughout SE Asia with just an M9 and 50 Cron, and walked across England two years ago carrying a Fuji X70. I really never felt limited with only one focal length on those trips.

Old 03-11-2019   #31
ktmrider

Well, I just preordered a Ricoh GRIII from B&H. I have been wanting something to replace the Fuji X70 which was ruined during a trip to Scotland last October. The XF70 does not make it even though it looks similar. I really like the X100 but I have a 35 FOV on the MP240 and I do not own a 28mm lens at the moment.

Only downside to the GRIII appears to be battery life but an extra battery should solve that problem and the MP240 will be the prime shooter and it does not have a problem with battery life.

Old 03-11-2019   #32
jsrockit

Good choice ktm. It’s not redundant and it is truly something you can use in a pinch without it adding a lot of weight. I think you’ll end up using it more than you think on this trip.

Old 03-11-2019   #33
taemo

Quote:
Well, I just preordered a Ricoh GRIII from B&H. I have been wanting something to replace the Fuji X70 which was ruined during a trip to Scotland last October. The XF70 does not make it even though it looks similar. I really like the X100 but I have a 35 FOV on the MP240 and I do not own a 28mm lens at the moment.

Only downside to the GRIII appears to be battery life but an extra battery should solve that problem and the MP240 will be the prime shooter and it does not have a problem with battery life.
congrats, let us know what you think once you've had the time to play with it.

Been toying with the idea of getting one as well as my everyday camera.
I've decided to skip the X100F as it is not pocketable enough and have an A7RIII with 35mm 2.8 to cover that focal length.

Cheaper option that I'm also considering are
-Olympus Tough TG-5 (IQ is the weakest due to 1/2.3" sensor)
-Fuji X-A3 or X-A5 with XF 18mm f2 lens

But I'm heavily leaning on the GRIII.