Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Do you go back?
Old 10-05-2018   #1
Dogman

Do you go back?

A couple of days ago I dropped the dog off at the groomers early in the morning and then drove around looking for potential photographs. The light was good and, since it was early, there was less traffic. I shot several pictures that I thought were pretty good. Later I ran them through Lightroom and printed 5 or 6. A couple were good, a couple were mediocre, one was a disaster that I immediately tore to bits and deleted from the hard drive, and a couple were decent but could have been better. So this morning I went back and shot the same "could have been better" subjects again. One particular subject turned out much better but the second was a toss up.

In truth, I don't do this very often. I generally accept my first impressions and move on to other subject matter. Just wondering how many of you go back and shoot the same scene/subject again?

Old 10-05-2018   #2
Mcary

All the time, in fact I've been revisiting a few local places multiple times over the past several years on a regular often weekly or monthly basis. The places I'm talking about are only a 15 minutes drive from my house so if the weather/sky looking interesting**big fan of clouds here** I simply drive over and see if I can find any potential photographs. I also enjoy trying find new/different images from a very familiar place as kind of a fun mental exercise.

Old 10-05-2018   #3
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I shoot some scenes over and over, it is called "my neighborhood". I don't see any reason not to, my photography is not important, it is just my hobby. Many photos of the same scene can document the seasons, or the different groups of people there.

There is one scene that I have shot many times, a high bridge over a busy river, but have not gotten the shot I want yet. I imagine it will be years until I get it.

Old 10-05-2018   #4
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

In poetry, there has been a long fault line between advocates of ‘first thought best thought’ and advocates of ‘emotion recollected in tranquility.’ Spontaneity versus revision.

Something like it runs through all the arts, and probably through any artist at different points in her life.

The mistake is to become partisan about one approach or the other; to substitute ideology for feeling and thought and technique appropriate to the subject and the moment. Knowing a bit about the catalogues of Van Gogh and O’Keeffe, I wouldn’t have wanted the former to be content with one self portrait or the latter with one flower study.

Some things I photograph again and again to revise them, that is, re-see what I thought I was seeing. If the revision shows refinement or a rare breakthrough, great; if not, it is at worst like documenting an old friend’s face over years. Some things you get only one chance to do your best—lovers on a bridge in Florence at the golden hour. Perhaps it’s best to treat everything as the only chance you’ll get, then be vigilant (and grateful!) for subsequent, similar opportunities to refine your craft.

http://rhl.photography

Old 10-05-2018   #5
benlees

I go back to the same places all the time. But I never (now!) try to reproduce "the magic" of a particular shot that I like because it no longer exists. Shame about that!

Old 10-05-2018   #6
Ronald M

I have gone back many times and got worse pics than first time.

There are too many variables to outside pics to even equal the first time attempt. Season, time of day, weather are among them.

I do go back to try different things because things change.

Old 10-05-2018   #7
Bill Clark

It took me a long time, many sittings but I finally did it.

I actually made a few photographs that my wife likes!

Yippie.

Old 10-05-2018   #8
Steve M.

I'm just wondering if you went back for the dog?

Old 10-05-2018   #9
Corran

You aren't mentioning what kind of photographs you are shooting. If shooting people/street scenes it's kinda hard to go "back" to a subject, unless you know them.

If a static object or a landscape...well personally I generally make my best photographs the 2nd or 3rd trip. I mean, sometimes I'm lucky and get perfect lighting and nail the composition, and exposure/development, etc., but often times I need time to digest the place, find the best place to shoot, try a couple images, revise, and then make the "best" image of a place I can that communicates what I want to say.

There is a beautiful location deep in a salt marsh down in the southern area of Mississippi that I have returned to about 5 times now. It's just about a quarter acre area that is rife with opportunities. Every time I go, I find something interesting, and I also keep trying one certain viewpoint to get the "best" image I could. I also have returned in the morning, evening, etc. Back at my last residence, there was a river area that I photographed at probably 500 times.

I don't believe anyone can shoot a landscape perfectly the first time, every time. Time of day, weather, season, etc. means one composition has an infinite number of options over time, not to mention all the other variables.

Old 10-05-2018   #10
presspass
filmshooter

I have shot the same scenes numerous times and each is different. Farmland changes from season to season and the light is never the same. Sometimes there are dark clouds from a recently-cleared storm. Other times the sun is just rising or near setting. Then there's snow, rain, and occasionally ice. The scene may be the same visit after visit, but the photos never are.

I do go back...
Old 10-05-2018   #11
leica M2 fan

I do go back...

Many many occasions take me back for a little different look. I'm usually pleased with the outcome. I really enjoy just looking through the viewfinder.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 10-05-2018   #12
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
In poetry, there has been a long fault line between advocates of ‘first thought best thought’ and advocates of ‘emotion recollected in tranquility.’ Spontaneity versus revision.

Something like it runs through all the arts, and probably through any artist at different points in her life.

The mistake is to become partisan about one approach or the other; to substitute ideology for feeling and thought and technique appropriate to the subject and the moment. Knowing a bit about the catalogues of Van Gogh and O’Keeffe, I wouldn’t have wanted the former to be content with one self portrait or the latter with one flower study.

Some things I photograph again and again to revise them, that is, re-see what I thought I was seeing. If the revision shows refinement or a rare breakthrough, great; if not, it is at worst like documenting an old friend’s face over years. Some things you get only one chance to do your best—lovers on a bridge in Florence at the golden hour. Perhaps it’s best to treat everything as the only chance you’ll get, then be vigilant (and grateful!) for subsequent, similar opportunities to refine your craft.
I have a few locations I regularly go back, but not to revisit and rediscover the contents of the subject, but to wait for better light, weather, or a different season. I am mostly talking about landscapes and buildings.

Below is an example of an abandoned house that I liked. The first time I saw it (top) I knew I had to come back in the winter to better capture the overgrown ivy.

Old 10-05-2018   #13
ptpdprinter

I don't often go back. I think I do my best work with fresh eyes.

Old 10-05-2018   #14
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I shoot the same places over and over as the years pass by to see how they change.

I also have no problem going back and reshooting in the rare times when I screw up an image.

Often, if I see an interesting place when the weather or light is bad, I'll note it in my notebook and go back when light or weather is better.

Old 10-05-2018   #15
sreed2006

I have followed the advice to study my photographs and determine what it is that I like, and what it is that I don't like, about each. (Of course, I don't do that for every photograph, but do keep it in mind when I review a fresh batch of pictures.) I have on many occasions gone back to some places and taken pictures from different angles, with different lenses, even with different cameras, and apply what I have learned. Often I attain a much more pleasing photograph on the return trips than on the first trip. And sometimes, the first photograph remains the best. All that being said, I am not a natural born great photographer, so I also keep in mind the old saying, "Practice makes perfect."

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Last edited by sreed2006 : 10-05-2018 at 17:31. Reason: remove extra word

Old 10-05-2018   #16
shimokita
白黒

I know that some photographers shoot around a location, looking for the best angle or waiting for the clouds to move or the sun to cross the heavens. I have been called a 'fast shooter' and most times just take the one photo and move on. I do review the results in detail and incorporate the findings.

In the neighborhood I have done the same location many times, but for the joy of the process not necessarily to improve on a previous photo, except in the general sense that one modifies the approach over time.

Some of my better results are one-off in new and different locations, most likely because of the re-shooting close to home \(ツ)/

Old 10-05-2018   #17
Archlich

A good motif never gets old.

Old 10-05-2018   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Just wondering how many of you go back and shoot the same scene/subject again?
A lot... and the scene changes all the time with different light and different characters. I am a big believer that you will make better photos if you go to a place often... as long as the place is good!

Old 10-05-2018   #19
al1966
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I shoot the same places over and over as the years pass by to see how they change.

I also have no problem going back and reshooting in the rare times when I screw up an image.

Often, if I see an interesting place when the weather or light is bad, I'll note it in my notebook and go back when light or weather is better.
I think that seeing the changes around areas can create some quite interesting narratives, sometimes such as the peak of financial down turns that places like high streets can go through rapid changes.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-05-2018   #20
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I am guilty of returning to the scene of the crime - multiple times.

Since I mostly do street photography it’s not a problem. The location is the same but the people are always changing. Same place, different face!

Mike

Old 10-05-2018   #21
Contarama

Not a planned return but many times I realize I could get something nicer if I did. Then I get all Walter Mitty and decide sometimes it is just better to live in the moment.

Old 10-05-2018   #22
B-9
Devin Bro

Since I moved into my house 8 years ago, I frequent downtown, I have photographed the same scenes in all light... these days town has been both new and scarce. None of my original locations exist.

So...

No I do not go back.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-05-2018   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

There's an old dairy barn I've photographed through the different seasons, and a house that I used as a test subject whenever I got another P&S camera down at Goodwill. That way I could compare their results to see if I got a good, or crappy camera.

But generally I don't, unless I just happen to be in the area again for some other reason. There are a few places that I'd like a do over on though, so I keep them in the back of my mind for a later visit.

But thinking a little bit harder now I can see where certain events like the Higlander Games, Civil War reenactments, or car shows can be included in the revisited category. So I do, but generally not.

PF

Old 10-05-2018   #24
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
It took me a long time, many sittings but I finally did it.

I actually made a few photographs that my wife likes!

Yippie.
My experience, too! My wife is now far more relaxed in front of my camera. She appreciates the nice photographs we can now make. A bonus is she feels better about herself as a result. I get nice photographs. Win-win.
Flickr

Old 10-05-2018   #25
lynnb

Most of my work is ongoing projects where I go back all the time, to see new things and in different seasons and light. In the case of street photography, to get new images of favourite subjects eg. "love" or "street dogs".
Flickr

Old 10-05-2018   #26
back alley
IMAGES

i've been photographing the same places for years and years...same with certain things, i have been trying to do something great with tall grass and have not one shot i like.

Old 10-05-2018   #27
shimokita
白黒

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i have been trying to do something great with tall grass and have not one shot i like.
I would bet that we all have 'something' (location / subject / theme) that no matter what we do or how many times we do it, it's not quite right, now quite what we want. I have always put it off as a timing issue, that the 'something' isn't ready to give it up, or more likely the connection with the 'something' has not gone full cycle. Stick with it ; )

Old 10-06-2018   #28
bulevardi

I feel your pain, I'm in the exact same situation as you are right now.
I've shot a roll on different locations within blue hour (just after I leave the office at 8PM), now it turns out they are underexposed. I guess the light meter needs to be tweaked and I'll have to make longer exposures to get the job done the right way.

However, winter is coming, it's getting darker earlier, but I can't leave earlier at work. So it will be too dark already for blue hour, ...
Will redo them though, in the next coming weeks... even if it's black instead of blue.
I take every opportunity there is to shoot them.

Old 10-06-2018   #29
Out to Lunch

I often go back since nothing ever stays the same.

Old 10-06-2018   #30
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
A couple were good, a couple were mediocre, one was a disaster that I immediately tore to bits and deleted from the hard drive
Was it underexposed? Was the picture this black you could say: "once you go black, you gotto go back" ?
I should go back to shoot them again. And aim for a better result, get a look at the shots you have now and critisize first what can be done better... compositionwise etc... time of day,... Be prepared before you go back.

Old 10-06-2018   #31
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I'm just wondering if you went back for the dog?
Damn! I knew I had forgotten something!

Only kidding...yes, I went back for the dog.

Although I originally said I seldom go back to reshoot a subject or scene, it's not quite factual. I had some health problems a while back that prevented me from doing a whole lot of anything for almost two years. About all I could handle was walking in my neighborhood for short periods. During this time I certainly returned to the same subjects and scenes multiple times because I was forced into it. But one of the areas I photographed so much is a strip mall just up the street from my house. The location has a long local history. Originally there was a neighborhood movie theatre, later a supermarket and then the large building was divided into smaller shops and a local post office branch. Unfortunately a few years ago the oldest section burned to the ground and was rebuilt with a more modern look although some of the older parts remain. I still go back there. Shop windows change, businesses close or new ones open, people shop or jog and walk through the parking lot. I have many pictures from there that depended on frequent returns and dumb luck.

Old 10-06-2018   #32
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Was it underexposed? Was the picture this black you could say: "once you go black, you gotto go back" ?
I should go back to shoot them again. And aim for a better result, get a look at the shots you have now and critisize first what can be done better... compositionwise etc... time of day,... Be prepared before you go back.
Nope, none of the above. I envisioned it as a B&W photograph but the main subject simply had no separation from the background. As a color photograph, it was weak. As a B&W photograph, it was awful. It happens sometimes. You don't dwell on the failures, you just look for the next success.

Old 10-06-2018   #33
willie_901

I only go back for interiors.

The light changes as the day progresses and it is different each season.

I do have some candids of strangers made in the same locations or at the same annual event.

Otherwise, I rarely go back.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-06-2018   #34
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I do return to same places, events and objects in my town. I walk with dog around neighborhood and taking pictures. Over and over and over again. It is day and very next day sometimes.

It is not uncommon and in different cities, countries then person takes pictures for years while on same route (home-work-home) and after decades later they becoming recognized for pictures they were taking on this and same route.

If first impression is the most and return is questionable, do you always drink different booze, never watch same movie and having sex with same person again?

Old 10-06-2018   #35
PaulDalex
Dilettante artist

I speak of clips but it is similar
Yes, obsessively hoping to improve. Either because of my errors, or because I want a better light, sometimes because I got a better camera or lens.

Old 10-06-2018   #36
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If first impression is the most and return is questionable, do you always drink different booze, never watch same movie and having sex with same person again?
Sounds like you are advocating getting stuck in a rut.

Old 10-06-2018   #37
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Some, but not all, things bear repeating.

Old 10-06-2018   #38
Bob Michaels
nobody special

I think serious responses are almost totally a result of differing photo styles. I work on cohesive photo series about a particular topic and frequently based in a narrow geographic location. Others move about hoping to spontaneously find a random individual image.

I have spent one day almost every weekend for six months photographing on the Daytona Beach Boardwalk. The theme was the six differing social groups (low budget winter visitors / residents, NASCAR Speed Weeks crowd, Bike Weeks crowd, Spring Breakers, Black College Reunion crowd, and summer beach goers). So I was returning to the same place geographically but the people changed.

I photographed almost every Sunday for a year in basically 3 churches close to each other. That theme was religion in a historic Negro community. The Cuban Ministry of Culture is sponsoring an exhibit in Holguin of 19 of those photos later this month.

So my style is essentially based on returning over and over to the same places.

Old 10-06-2018   #39
webOSUser

I've gone back to the same location. Sometimes it is for different light or a change in camera or film. Sometimes it is because the pictures need to be retaken.

Steve W

Old 10-10-2018   #40
Big Ursus

Yes, I've always done re-shoots.

My first shots of anything are like sketches, where I'm looking at a subject, and trying to find out what's there. These days, I'll cull those first shots, and print what might be interesting at a foto kiosk at a local drug store. Then, I'll do a crit of the prints, try to understand what's missing; then, I'll go back, and do it all over again.

Like the man said, " Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”