Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex T concerns
Old 03-29-2017   #1
Zmuda

Rolleiflex T concerns

I hope you all can help me with a few questions. I just got my first rolleiflex in today and I was wondering if you can take a look at the taking lens and tell me if this is going to be a problem? Looks like some dust is in there. Also the shutters are sticky slower than 1/30th of a second. The seller has a 30day return policy.. would you recommend just returning it and not bothering with this one? Or worth keeping?

** attached images are the best I can do to show what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170329_164007-281x500.jpg (10.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 20170329_164239-281x500.jpg (39.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20170329_163951-281x500.jpg (42.2 KB, 59 views)

Old 03-29-2017   #2
kknox

The dust will not hurt your images but the sticking slow shutter speeds means it needs a CLA. I had one stick off and on then a year or so later it stuck open. I had to do a CLA. If you dont use slow sppeds alot and like the camera, ask the seller for a partial refund to cover the repair if needed. My CLA was about $300 on a Rollei.

Old 03-29-2017   #3
Zmuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
The dust will not hurt your images but the sticking slow shutter speeds means it needs a CLA. I had one stick off and on then a year or so later it stuck open. I had to do a CLA. If you dont use slow sppeds alot and like the camera, ask the seller for a partial refund to cover the repair if needed. My CLA was about $300 on a Rollei.
The shutter has been stuck open now for about an hour. Any chance it'll un stick itself? May get a quote from a local repair guy to see what a CLA to fix the shutter would cost tomorrow and email the seller with the quote and see where he goes from there. I have a 3.5f coming in this week as well and would honestly rather put repair money into that if needed and not this T model.

Old 03-29-2017   #4
charjohncarter

I have a T and it had a shutter problem below 1/15 of a second but I continued to use it for 15 years. I finally sent it out for CLA and now it is completely reliable. It was expensive to have the CLA (but in my case worth it) so you may consider sending it back.

Old 03-29-2017   #5
f16sunshine

The T is great. I had one that arrived non functional.
The seller was one of our members and let me just keep it (refunded me).
A complete overhaul from a proper Rollei tech was about $400 all posting here and back included.
A completely overhauled T is worth $4-500 .... Well worth it imo.
If your shutter blades are sticky chances are the transport will need service as well.
If you have a low starting cost it may be worth it to overhaul rather than return.
If the blades are sticking open it's probably best to park it until it's had some service.
The tessar lens in that camera is a really good one.
The Bayonet 1 accesories are also much easier to find than bay2 or bay3.
Good luck.

Old 03-29-2017   #6
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmuda View Post
The shutter has been stuck open now for about an hour. Any chance it'll un stick itself? May get a quote from a local repair guy to see what a CLA to fix the shutter would cost tomorrow and email the seller with the quote and see where he goes from there. I have a 3.5f coming in this week as well and would honestly rather put repair money into that if needed and not this T model.
I beleve you haven't told us what speed the shutter is set to. I'm assuming it is 1/15 or slower. The speed escapement is clearly bogging down due to need for cleaning and the gears can't finish running off. Try moving the speed adjusting lever gently back and forwards, towards the 1/30 speed a few times, just slide it gently to and fro. Don't force it. The combination of vibration from adjusting the speed and the de-selecting of the retard system ought to get the shutter blades to finish cycling. As has been stated, the shutter needs a service. If the camera is OK otherwise, this is not such a big deal. I've heard the Tessar fitted to most of the T models is an excellent lens and I like Tessars a lot. But given the choice between a T and a 3.5F, I'd take the F, (wth either lens type) too.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 03-29-2017   #7
Dan Daniel

Anyone have thoughts on what we are seeing in the first image through the lens? Is that separation on the edges? I've never heard of this on late Tessars but then again, could be. Could also be hanging shutter blades right on the edge.

If the slow speeds hang up completely, the shutter is dirty. Still might work fine at faster speeds, though. I'll disagree with Brett slightly and suggest just moving the shutter speed to 1/30 or faster. The blades should snap shut without damage. Don't force it but giving some pressure will not hurt it. Going to B (past 1 second) will sometimes kick it closed, also.

I'd get a refund and put the money into film for the F. Unless you have a definite reason to have a T, the F should be your go-to camera. Better build, better lens, better user experience. Then again, maybe the feel of the T is good for you and the better model. Get he shutter working and run a roll through it.

Old 03-29-2017   #8
Zmuda

Just got back home to fiddle around with it some more. If I remember correctly the shutter got stuck the first time at 1/15th speed. I was able to get it to close with some careful rocking back and forth of the f stop control arm (lack of a better term). I took a few more blank shots at 1/500th with no issue. Decided to drop down go 1/60th and it got stuck twice in a row.

Old 03-30-2017   #9
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Just got back home to fiddle around with it some more. If I remember correctly the shutter got stuck the first time at 1/15th speed. I was able to get it to close with some careful rocking back and forth of the f stop control arm (lack of a better term). I took a few more blank shots at 1/500th with no issue. Decided to drop down go 1/60th and it got stuck twice in a row.
OK, it needs a shutter overhaul. You can keep playing with it to see if it loosens up a bit in order to do a test roll. But it is dirty and needs a cleaning.

I would simply send it back unless you got a great deal and can justify dropping another $100-150 minimum into it.

Old 03-30-2017   #10
Zmuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
OK, it needs a shutter overhaul. You can keep playing with it to see if it loosens up a bit in order to do a test roll. But it is dirty and needs a cleaning.

I would simply send it back unless you got a great deal and can justify dropping another $100-150 minimum into it.
I'm already at my top budget on this camera as I bought it for $320. I contacted Paul Ebel and he quoted me $248 for a CLA and Shutter adjustment with a 2 month turnaround. That would just be way too much into a Rolleiflex T it seems to me. I'll contact the seller with the info and see if he wants to refund me $248 (HIGHLY unlikely) or I'll be returning it. A bummer honestly, my first rolleiflex and I have to return. Trying to not let my feelings get in the way of a smart financial decision.

Old 03-30-2017   #11
mpaniagua

Have you contacted Harry Fleanor? He quoted me about $160 for a Rolleiflex T shutter overhaul. Harry does a great job.

Just saying.

Regards.

Marcelo

Old 03-30-2017   #12
ulrich.von.lich

In case you are willing to send the camera to Europe, Hans Klinkhamer of the Netherlands did a CLA on my Rolleiflex Automat for 90€. It had slow speeds off and sands inside. I find his work excellent. Gerard Metrot in France can also service your Rolleflex. They were both trained at Rollei's factory, I believe. Mr. Metrot told me once they were simple cameras on which he rarely spent more than 2 hours. So that's 120€ max. I don't know why anyone would charge that much. Life must be tough for a Rolleiflex user in North America.

Old 03-30-2017   #13
Zmuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Have you contacted Harry Fleanor? He quoted me about $160 for a Rolleiflex T shutter overhaul. Harry does a great job.

Just saying.

Regards.

Marcelo

I haven't yet but I'll give him a call tomorrow. Seller is offering me a $100 refund, so may be worth the extra cash to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich.von.lich View Post
In case you are willing to send the camera to Europe, Hans Klinkhamer of the Netherlands did a CLA on my Rolleiflex Automat for 90. It had slow speeds off and sands inside. I find his work excellent. Gerard Metrot in France can also service your Rolleflex. They were both trained at Rollei's factory, I believe. Mr. Metrot told me once they were simple cameras on which he rarely spent more than 2 hours. So that's 120 max. I don't know why anyone would charge that much. Life must be tough for a Rolleiflex user in North America.
I'll take a look into what the shipping would cost to get out there. May even out all the prices in the end

Old 03-30-2017   #14
mpaniagua

Quote:
I haven't yet but I'll give him a call tomorrow. Seller is offering me a $100 refund, so may be worth the extra cash to get it fixed.

I'll take a look into what the shipping would cost to get out there. May even out all the prices in the end
probably about $60.00 for shipping and another $60.00 for return, so $120.00 average shipping cost. This is what USPS was charging me to ship a Leica M4-P bottom cover to England.

Regards.

Marcelo

Old 03-30-2017   #15
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
... Mr. Metrot told me once they were simple cameras on which he rarely spent more than 2 hours. So that's 120€ max. I don't know why anyone would charge that much. Life must be tough for a Rolleiflex user in North America.
I believe there are really good techs in EU as well but without so much talk about and they haven't become the "go to" by reputation guys. Demand is very high for them, and shows by the waiting list and prices.

I'm playing around auctions for Rolleicords and maybe old Flexes lately and think that if I win any of those it'd be good to have someone rather near (Europe) to do at least a shutter CLA. Shipping can get steep, I thought that the default Japanese EMS at 30-50€ wasn't cheap, but translatlantic rates are even steeper and not so express. Consider as well the issue of customs, I don't quite know if there was an exception for repairs.

BTW, procastinated posting at the thread for a while but upon seeing those edges I thought Separation of the cement, Dan's theory about shutter blades could be plausible too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-30-2017   #16
ulrich.von.lich

When I was taping, I didn't see the price quote of Harry Fleanor. He sounds a better choice for you. But for more than 200USD, I would seriously consider sending it to Europe.

Marcelo, Royal Mail charges about 12.50 GBP to send a parcel of 500g to the USA. 60 USD is perhaps the price for Parcelforce Global Express.

Old 03-30-2017   #17
f16sunshine

There are several options in the US. Harry is the most well known and has the longest wait.
Mark Hansen is also a good option.
I've had Karl Ehlers work on all my Rolleis. He is officially retired but still had all the Rollei instruments and many, many new spare parts the last time I visited his home workshop.
If you can coax him into a job he is probably the most experienced and meticulous Rollie artist you can find.

Old 03-30-2017   #18
Deardorff38

Harry Fleenor is your go to guy. love my Rolleiflex T......no need to ship it to Europe

Old 03-30-2017   #19
mpaniagua

Quote:
When I was taping, I didn't see the price quote of Harry Fleanor. He sounds a better choice for you. But for more than 200USD, I would seriously consider sending it to Europe.

Marcelo, Royal Mail charges about 12.50 GBP to send a parcel of 500g to the USA. 60 USD is perhaps the price for Parcelforce Global Express.

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator...7&m=12&dvi=200

You will need a medium box (shipped a Rolleiflex T about 2 week ago by Priority mail for $18.00).

Regards.

Marcelo

Old 03-30-2017   #20
mpaniagua

Also, be aware that parcel service charge also for volumen, not only weight. Rolleiflex T weights about 1kg (abou 1 lbs or pounds).

Old 04-12-2017   #21
mkvrnn

I own a few Ts and I love them, but a word of warning.
The front panel can be difficult to remove and very tricky to reassemble. If the shutter speed or aperture bands break you will be in serious trouble. So sending one in for repair is a risky business. You might be better off with a simpler Automat model, or perhaps an E which are similar to the more expensive F models.

Rolleiflex T f stop strap broke
Old 04-17-2019   #22
martin2208

Rolleiflex T f stop strap broke

Hi,
Apparently this is a common problem with this particular model.
I've talked to very well known Rolleiflex repair persons and I've been told they don't have this part any longer and that they no longer work on this particular model which is Rolleiflex T Type 1
Please let me know if you know of any repair person that is still willing to work on this model and repair my beloved Rolleiflex T
Thank You in advance,
Luis Martin

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #23
Hari

My Rolleiflex T quit mid-roll, the shutter closed and wouldn't operate. I've
sent it to ProCamera in Virginia as they quoted a repair at about $130. I'll
post again when the camera comes back.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #24
Hari

I love the Rolleiflex T over all the models. For one thing, I find it faster to load film
not having to loop the film under the auto-film transport to the first exposure. Just
line up the arrows and roll on. Also, since this was my first Rollei there's sentiment.
Having learned to operate the shutter/f-stop link (operated with only left hand), it's
natural to me. The angle of the shutter release is unique to the model T, allowing
shutter release with left index finger. Plus the vinyl covering wears better than
leather. Mine is without meter.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #25
chipgreenberg

Dan Daniel who responded here did an outstanding job on my Minolta autocord. You may want to contact him to see if he works on Rollie T's

Shutter stuck Rollei T
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #26
randy stewart

Shutter stuck Rollei T

A Syncho Compur is a Synchro Compur whether on a Rolleiflex T or a $50 Agfa folder. The difference in quoted CLA prices is that you are a Rollei owner, and presumed to be used to being ripped off. $175 is a fair price for your CLA. However, you got clipped a bit on the camera purchase, so even at that price, you aren't going to break even with fair market value of the camera. Since you have a 3.5f on the way, the only sensible thing to do is return the T for a full refund, invest in a full camera CLA for the 3.5f (even if its shutter does not stick) and then use it with confidence - a lot. (What were you planning to do with both Rolleiflex cameras? Are you a GAS victim?)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #27
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
A Syncho Compur is a Synchro Compur whether on a Rolleiflex T or a $50 Agfa folder. The difference in quoted CLA prices is that you are a Rollei owner, and presumed to be used to being ripped off. $175 is a fair price for your CLA. However, you got clipped a bit on the camera purchase, so even at that price, you aren't going to break even with fair market value of the camera. Since you have a 3.5f on the way, the only sensible thing to do is return the T for a full refund, invest in a full camera CLA for the 3.5f (even if its shutter does not stick) and then use it with confidence - a lot. (What were you planning to do with both Rolleiflex cameras? Are you a GAS victim?)
The thread starter posted 2 1/2 years ago. One hopes the matter has already been resolved one way or another. On another note shutters may share internals but the time needed to access them can vary. For example despite being reflex installations the Synchro-Compurs used in both a Retina Reflex and Bessamatic are very similar to conventional models, but, neither are quick, or easy to access for servicing. I am certainly not suggesting most Rollei twin lenses are anywhere near as time consuming to reach—I have repaired enough myself to have a reasonable idea—however it is a little nave to place all types of camera fitted with a particular make of shutter in the same basket, cost-wise, simply because they share that shutter.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #28
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post

Just saying.

Regards.

Marcelo
When was that? I just read within the past several days that Harry Fleenor doesn't work on the Rollei T. But if he does, he's the man!

I quite liked the T when I had one. I like the shutter release, and the Zeiss 75mm Tessar lens. But I understand there is now a lack of certain spare parts for them.