Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

FujiFilm X100F for Daily Use
Old 11-06-2017   #1
russelljtdyer
Writer

FujiFilm X100F for Daily Use

Although my Leica M9 or M3 camera and lenses are smaller and lighter than the Canon 5D Mark II DSLR camera and lenses I used to own, they are still a little much to carry with me on business trips or for daily use since I'm not a professional photographer. As a result, I miss many opportunities to take pictures.

Early last year, to solve this problem, I bought a Sony RX100 M3 compact camera. It's a fine camera and small. It has an excellent Zeiss lens and a good image sensor. It has worked well for me. I've taken many good photos with it.

Since that camera worked so well, I decided to try something of a little better quality. I bought a FujiFilm X100F camera. It's bulkier than the Sony RX100 M3, but not as heavy or as large as the Leica M9 with a comparable standard lens. It's small enough that I don't mind carrying it in my briefcase.

The X100F includes a fixed 23mm lens (equivalent to 35mm) with a maximum aperture of f/2. It has a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor. What I like best is that the exposure settings can all be controlled manually on the top of the camera.

Below are some photos I took recently on a business trip to Helsinki. I'm still learning how to use it (e.g., the photo of the woman walking isn't as focused as it could be). The camera is very configurable, but that has only confused me, especially when I show it to a friend and they inadvertently reconfigure it. There are customizable presets that I can use so that I can quickly put my settings back, but I haven't had enough time to set them. I just need more time with the camera.

Russell can be seen occasionally petting his Leica M3 camera and quietly calling it, 'my precious', much to the discomfort of those around him.

Russell's Photography Equipment (updated April 2015)
Leica M9 camera
Leica M3 camera
FujiFilm X100F camera

Leica Elmarit-M f2.8 21mm (E49) lens
Leica Summicron-M f2 50mm lens
Leica Elmarit-M f/2.8 90mm (E46 Germany) lens

Old 11-06-2017   #2
sleepyhead

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I used an X100 (the original 12 mp one) for about a year as my daily camera. I liked it, but ultimately felt limited by the fixed 35mm-equivalent lens.

Old 11-06-2017   #3
JoeLopez

Well done. I really like the X100T, which is always in my work bag. A great daily camera for me as well.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 11-06-2017   #4
gavinlg

Honestly the best daily/walkaround camera in existence at the moment.

Old 11-06-2017   #5
Axel

Very cute pendants with zoom are the Fuji X10-X30 cameras.

Old 11-06-2017   #6
Dogman

An X100 can rapidly become a favorite camera.

If you ever find the 23mm fixed lens to be limiting, don't forget about Fuji's two conversion lenses for the X100 series. Although they increase the bulk of the camera, they have excellent optical quality. A travel kit consisting of an X100 series body and the two conversion lenses present a range of 35mm, 50mm and 28mm equivalent focal lengths in a very small package.

Old 11-06-2017   #7
willie_901

The X100 S/T/F cameras are the Canonet QL-17 GIII of our time.

Since I own an X-Pro 2, I should sell my X100T. But I just can't bring myself to part with it. I almost always use the OVF.

The X100 T/F PDAF is a significant improvement. Even fly-by-wire manual lens focusing is practical with the T/F bodies.

In my case, the single issue with the X100T is the rear buttons are just a bit too small. However, I rarely use them.

To be complete, it takes some time and patience to figure out how to set up an X100 so it can be used as one used the Canonet. Also, the 23/2 Fujinon lens aperture needs to be no wider than f4 to render sharp images for very close subjects.

The XE-2 with the 27/2.8 pancake lens is a viable, affordable option if you don't value using an OVF.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-06-2017   #8
shimokita
白黒

I love my x100t... disabled all but three of the Fn buttons and reprogrammed the three as Fn1: face recognition (which is my default), Fn6: flash, and Fn7: ISO (the x100f has a dedicated dial for this). I use Lee Sev5n ND Grad filters and need to set the ISO (f-stop & shutter speed) manually in order to see / adjust the grad line. I have found that there can be some noticeable barrel distortion depending on subject and distance... My other cameras are feeling a little ignored at the moment ; )

Old 11-06-2017   #9
Mark A. Fisher

After I bought an X100 I got an X-Pro 2. Foolishly I sold the X100, but replaced it with an X100F. The X-Pro 2 and X100F are now my primary cameras, while my D700 and D800 seldom/never come out to play. If I had to choose only one camera for daily use, it would be the X100F. I don't mind the fixed focus lens, having started with a similar (film) setup about 40 years ago.

Old 12-30-2017   #10
kshapero
Have not arrived

on the X100F how usable is the 50mm and 75mm digital modes? That would satisfy my 35mm only complaint.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-30-2017   #11
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

While my M9 was away at Leica back in 2012 for its third repair, I shot with the X100 and a couple Nikon RFs. The X100 was the positive digital reason for getting rid of the M9 as soon as it came back from Leica. It served fantastically on a few cross country trips, vacation, even a couple paid shoots. It's a great little daily shooter.

Phil Forrest

Old 12-30-2017   #12
agricola

>>on the X100F how usable is the 50mm and 75mm digital modes? That would satisfy my 35mm only complaint.

Akiva - I regularly crop the X100s RAF files to at least 50mm FOV - with 24mp available on the F it's likely you would do even better.
Usable? perfectly ok for export to the web at 72dpi and 1200 or 1800 pixels on the long side. And - in my case with the X100s - for prints to 20" on the long side, depending on whether you want to print at 300dpi, 240dpi or something less.

Dan

Old 12-31-2017   #13
ChrisLivsey

I'm still in a love/hate relationship with the X100T I bought to see what the hype was about.
Being an M2/Hasselblad shooter primarily I wanted the optical finder set up but have found, to my horror, the digital works better. I prefer back button focussing on my other Nikon digitals/H1 but again found eventually the shutter focus setting worked better on the Fuji. More complaints are the small buttons, as noted, the time it takes to set it up to work like a "proper" camera the palaver for actually reviewing a picture on the rear screen yet it's still here, at the moment. It does carry easily, responds quickly and produces nice results, in its favour. One focal length that happens to be my "go to" on the Leica is not an issue its over complexity is, I'm going to pitch it against a Sonnar Rollei 35 before ditching which I fear is its destiny.
A recent frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 12-31-2017   #14
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Fisher View Post
After I bought an X100 I got an X-Pro 2. Foolishly I sold the X100, but replaced it with an X100F. The X-Pro 2 and X100F are now my primary cameras, while my D700 and D800 seldom/never come out to play. If I had to choose only one camera for daily use, it would be the X100F. I don't mind the fixed focus lens, having started with a similar (film) setup about 40 years ago.
Me too; except I sold all my Nikon stuff.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 12-31-2017   #15
Mark A. Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Me too; except I sold all my Nikon stuff.
Just this week I had a conversation with friends about selling the Nikon gear, but can't quite do it. Having shot Nikon for 25 years or so, and still having a full complement of film Nikons - F3HP, F2, F100, etc, - they still should be used, but that X100F just feels great in my hands!

Old 01-15-2018   #16
TRIago

My M9 is never going to be sold, I love that camera. Since I shoot mainly 50mm with Leicas, my X100S come in handy. Specially if I&rsquo;m doing flash photography, nothing - absolutely nothing- beats a leaf shutter camera, the ability to sync at 1/4000 is just something every photographer out there should be able to learn/experience/have. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-03-2019   #17
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Honestly the best daily/walkaround camera in existence at the moment.

What he said!!

Old 04-01-2019   #18
ktmrider

So much easier to carry any version of the X100 (had the original back in 2011 and just purchased the F) then any Leica digital. I have an MP240 and it and the X100F are going around the world with me later this year. I wonder which I will use more as the Fuji is lighter and a lot cheaper to carry into dicey neighborhoods.

Once the Fuji functions are set up, you really don't have to do much in the menus. I laugh at all the reviews about the ISO being hard to set since it is in the shutter dial (obviously photographers who did not live through the 1970's or 1980's)!

Old 04-02-2019   #19
JoeLopez

My X100T is in my work bag every day and with my most weekends. It is so easy to stuff it into a coat pocket

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 04-09-2019   #20
seagrove
Rich

I enjoy my X100S so much I got both the TCL & WCL for it. Then I got worried about crossthreading the lenses that I just bought a second X100S! Now I have the TCL on one body and the WCL on the other and carry both. Even picked up a new Luigi halfcase for the new body to match the first camera!

Old 04-09-2019   #21
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrove View Post
I enjoy my X100S so much I got both the TCL & WCL for it. Then I got worried about crossthreading the lenses that I just bought a second X100S! Now I have the TCL on one body and the WCL on the other and carry both. Even picked up a new Luigi halfcase for the new body to match the first camera!
I've been thinking about buying a TCL and leaving it on the X100F. Have you noticed any problems/ill effects from leaving the converters on there?

Old 04-09-2019   #22
bideford

Still using my original X100 - ideal for walking and easy travel. Tempted to upgrade for quicker focus but not been able to justify the cost. Small, light, low value item that takes great pictures. Just need a couple of spare batteries! What's not to like?

James

Old 04-09-2019   #23
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bideford View Post
Small, light, low value item that takes great pictures. Just need a couple of spare batteries! What's not to like?

Perfect summary of the original x100.

Mine still produces great images... provided that I manage to play my part properly .

Old 04-09-2019   #24
Lou Iaquinto
Tinshed

Yes, all of the above. I've had the x100 since 2012. Haven't felt the need to upgrade.

Lou

Old 04-09-2019   #25
umcelinho
Marcelo

the X100F is AMAZING for daily use. light, silent, versatile, i absolutely adore the hybrid finder. to be quite frank I only sold mine because I got myself an RX1Rii due to its fab sensor (fullframe, superb low light capabilities). but the X100F is a much more enjoyable camera to shoot with.

Old 04-09-2019   #26
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
I've been thinking about buying a TCL and leaving it on the X100F. Have you noticed any problems/ill effects from leaving the converters on there?
I've used both the WCL and the TCL, imho the WCL has a perfect balance on the X100 series, which doesn't quite apply to the TCl, it's rather large and heavy and there is only a slight gain in subject separation by using it. But I'd leave the WCL mounted for days without removing and it was all fine - say, during a trip, having the X100T+WCL as a dedicated wide camera to pair with an X-E2 with 35/1.4.

Old 04-09-2019   #27
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcelinho View Post
I've used both the WCL and the TCL, imho the WCL has a perfect balance on the X100 series, which doesn't quite apply to the TCl, it's rather large and heavy and there is only a slight gain in subject separation by using it. But I'd leave the WCL mounted for days without removing and it was all fine - say, during a trip, having the X100T+WCL as a dedicated wide camera to pair with an X-E2 with 35/1.4.

I've owned the TCL for a year or more, and I've used it a great deal.

It does a great job, and as a bonus, it looks (IMHO) superb!

Old 04-10-2019   #28
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Only got the second body last week so right now the answer is no. I bought the second body because I was afraid I would eventually damage the lens threads changing between the TCL and WCL. I can't imagine any problems/ill effects that would occur from leaving the converters on for extended periods. Since there are no moving parts in the converter lenses and the 23mm lens is permanently mounted, I don't see the 23mm lens on the camera coming loose.

Old 04-10-2019   #29
tbhv55

Quote:

I got my TCL in February last year, and it stayed on right through until October, when I had something specific to do, for which a 35mm (equivalent) was more suitable. No adverse effects at all.

Old 04-10-2019   #30
Dogman

The conversion lenses are quite nice. But I eventually sold both of mine because I simply liked the camera "as is" better.

Old 04-10-2019   #31
karateisland

Thanks, all! Had been looking at buying a whole new camera for my daily carry, all because the X100F isn't a 50mm equiv. The TCL might do the trick.

Too bad I can't hack a 50mm equiv right onto the camera!

Old 04-10-2019   #32
tbhv55

Quote:
Thanks, all! Had been looking at buying a whole new camera for my daily carry, all because the X100F isn't a 50mm equiv. The TCL might do the trick.

Too bad I can't hack a 50mm equiv right onto the camera!

Just one more comment... the TCL actually looks better on the camera, IMO, than it does in pictures of it on the camera.

Before purchasing, I was slightly hesitant, because - from the pictures that I had seen of the combination - I wasn't absolutely sure that I liked the appearance of the TCL, on the x100. I needn't have worried - as soon as I fitted onto the camera, I was very pleased. Of course, appearance is subjective, and therefore you might disagree - but my point is that I think it would be better (if possible) not to judge the appearance of the TCL from pictures alone.

Old 04-10-2019   #33
Takkun
Ian M.

Thought I'd chime in too, since I also specifically bought an X100 years ago as a daily carry. There's a lot of great P&S/Mirrorless cameras out there, but I still think they knocked it out of the park optically and ergonomically, and started my shift away from SLRs and back to RFs. It's my SO's daily driver now.
The 100S and F are just fantastic evolutions. I think for your purposes the lens converters will suit you well.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 09-06-2019   #34
Magnus919

Do I like carrying an X100F around?

Yeah. I suppose I do.

But it's going off to Lifepixel for an IR conversion the moment I can get my hands on the X100V.

Old 09-06-2019   #35
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Fuji's menus and settings (and lack of "save all") are a bit of a disappointment - just a bit - as I really do like the camera and I like Fuji's support of the X system.

I have an X-Pro1, new from 2012, and aside from dealing with its menu quirkiness, my only other complaint is how easy it is to press a random button on the back inadvertently and not know what I changed or how to undo what I just did.

Old 09-12-2019   #36
davhill
Canon P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
The conversion lenses are quite nice. But I eventually sold both of mine because I simply liked the camera "as is" better.
Hah. Like some others here, I still use an X100 as a daily carry. When I need wider and feel like taking it from 'unobtrusive' to 'incredibly obvious' I have only to screw on my Wide converter lens. Not the Fuji product, mind. I have the Canon WC-DC58B wide converter built for the old G-series (G7). Monster piece of glass, 3.5" objective diameter, And the results are decent, quite.

But mostly I like the X100 it as is.

Old 09-12-2019   #37
Archiver

@Magnus919 - very intriguing colours and compositions. How do you process your X100F images? What program do you use? I've long thought about a X100F but I'm wary of using Lightroom for X-Trans files.

Old 09-13-2019   #38
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
@Magnus919 - very intriguing colours and compositions. How do you process your X100F images? What program do you use? I've long thought about a X100F but I'm wary of using Lightroom for X-Trans files.
Images are superimposed on backgrounds. I am not sure how I feel about that.

Old 09-13-2019   #39
Out to Lunch

If I would want to buy a small digital camera today, I'd buy the Fuji X-T3 + the Fuji M-mount adapter. (pic and info frm the B-H page):

• 26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor
  • X-Processor 4 with Quad CPU
  • UHD 4K60 Video; F-Log Gamma & 10-Bit Out
  • 2.16m-Point Phase-Detection Autofocus
  • 0.75x 3.69m-Dot OLED Viewfinder
  • 3.0" 1.04m-Dot Tilting LCD Touchscreen
  • Extended ISO 80-51200, 30 fps Shooting
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi; Sports Finder Mode
  • Weather-Sealed Magnesium-Alloy Body

Old 09-13-2019   #40
crsantin

I still use my original X100. I've never felt the need to upgrade to the newer models. It really is a joy to use. Aperture on the lens, ISO set to the function button. I have my jpegs set to black and white and if I want colour I work with the RAW image or do an in-camera conversion.

I used to have an original Sony RX100 as well and I loved that camera. I had that before I bought my X100. It came into contact with water and stopped working but I really miss that Sony so I think I'm going to get another one. My only complaint with the Fuji is that it doesn't shoot square. An RX100 and an X100 would cover pretty much all of my photographic needs. I'm not fond of carrying extra lenses and changing them when I am out shooting.