Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 12-22-2010   #81
Ronald M

Leica 21 3.4 Super Angulon. Brand new in the box and it vignetted like crazy. It worked pretty good at f16 and I have a bunch of pics on the livingroom walls from it. I kept it 3 months and the 2.8 preasph came out. Still have that one for 25 years.

Old 12-22-2010   #82
rumbliegeos

A long-time Nikon user here, but I could never get used to the little LCD metering readout and the "not a spot" and "not an averaging" meter system on the Nikon F3. The rest of the camera was great for its time.

Old 12-22-2010   #83
lxmike
Billingham is my bag

Its refreshing in a way to realise that its not just me being 'a grumpy old man' when I find some camera, lens or kit disapointing. At a cursory glance, it seems a lot of people have been disapointed with olympus cameras, (but not the glass). I loved Zuiko lenses, but could never get on with the ergonomics of their bodies, (om2 and 4). It is also interesting that others too found the Pentax 40mm f2.8 pancake disapointing
Current analog SLR: Nikon F Ftn, Pentax MX, Minolta XE-1.

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-22-2010   #84
D.O'K.
Darren O'Keeffe.

All the Kievs I've ever had--they felt good in the hand, but none worked properly.

Olympus 35RC--good lens, but a somewhat clunky and cheap feel.

Rolleiflex 3.5f--many excellent qualities, but not quite as smooth handling as some of its "lesser" sister models such as the older automats and the T. And as heavier, also more tedious to carry around for long periods.

Regards,
D.

Old 12-22-2010   #85
lxmike
Billingham is my bag

Darren I love the Olympus 35 Rc but I agree it definately feels 'cheap' and I never did like the lever wind or as I prefered to call it 'dust enterance'. Its funny I have a love hate thing with olympus, great lenses but camera wise something always lets me down, the flare prone viewfinder in the AX, the strangeley place shutter selection dial on OM bodies, the bulkiness of the SP, the poor electronics of their early RF and so on
Current analog SLR: Nikon F Ftn, Pentax MX, Minolta XE-1.

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-22-2010   #86
Mablo

Considering the high price and reputation I found the 50mm Pre-ASPH Lux (v.2) to be just another 'good' lens. Maybe marginally better (more contrasty) than a Canon 50mm/1.4 but much less value than any cheap 50mm lens from CV. Even now when I watch my images taken with it I simply cannot see anything special.

Old 12-22-2010   #87
stupid leica
i don't shoot rf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbliegeos View Post
A long-time Nikon user here, but I could never get used to the little LCD metering readout and the "not a spot" and "not an averaging" meter system on the Nikon F3. The rest of the camera was great for its time.

haha, i totally agree. The F3 takes great pictures and feels great, but i don't even try to see the viewfinder display.
I hate that camera.

Old 12-22-2010   #88
efix
RF user by conviction

Well, I haven't been using much photography equipment so far, so I haven't got much experience with different gear.

Still, I was pretty disappointed with the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC, for which I had high hopes when I first purchased it. While being very compact and well-made, my copy exhibited massive focus shift in various directions, so I rarely got my subject in focus. The bokeh appeared very harsh and jittery to me, and I didn't like it at all. Also, the lens was rather soft wide open and both colours and contrast weren't very pleasing to me.

Another huge disappointment was that japanese-made Helios viewfinder, sporting alleged 35, 85 and 135mm framelines. I bought it to be used with the 20mm f/1.7 lens on my Olympus E-P1. It was a terrible and not very recommendable experience. The finder wouldn't fit in the flash shoe properly, and the framelines were far too tight. I could've just taken pictures blind instead.
"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px

Old 12-22-2010   #89
jsrockit

Nikon D700
Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D
Olympus 17mm for E-P1
Voigtlander 28mm Ultron f/2

Old 12-22-2010   #90
philosomatographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE1951 View Post
Mamiya 645, and Mamiya c330, Mamiya RB67. Could never get into medium format. It just seemed a clunky compromise between my prefered 35mm Nikon/Leica and 4x5 Sinar.

Just my opinion, not trolling, I know others will disagree, and more power to ya if you enjoy it.
It's so funny how people's experiences differ! Mine is the exact opposite. I have excellent 35mm (Olympus OM, 3Ti, rage of amazing f/2.0 glass, 21mm-250mm) and 4x5in (Linhof Technika) systems, yet I keep on coming back to the Mamiya RB67 (which was my first film camera) which produces, to my eye, my most pleasing pictures. Especially candids - it's so unobtrusive to use a waist-level finder, and after sheet film, a roll of 10 images is a luxury!

To each his own!

Oh - back to the original subject - my biggest disappointment? Finding out that large format images don't automatically look better than small/medium ones. Right after I got it, I almost sold my Linhof Technika. Images felt like just too much effort, for 16x20in prints that don't realy look better than the equivalent Mamiya-produced ones.

Until I made one or two images which really blew my mind, which made me realise I could never have made them with any of my other cameras. That made me perservere, and now the disappointment is over.

Old 12-22-2010   #91
thawkins
thawkins

Zorki "C"............absolutely a pain in the fundament to load, a rangefinder that is too small and sounds like the "gnashing of the proletarian teeth" when the shutter is fired.

Old 12-22-2010   #92
nobbylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Nikon D700
Nikon 35mm f/2 AF-D
Olympus 17mm for E-P1
Voigtlander 28mm Ultron f/2
I'd love to know what you didn't like about the D700, apart from size maybe?

Old 12-22-2010   #93
Thardy

Nikon N70 and Nikon D80 and D90.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 12-22-2010   #94
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
I hate SLRs in general. I thought I should step up to the D700 from an M8 and get a little more modern, but I just couldn't get on with it and went back to the M8 within a month. I just like that old school simplicity of manual cameras. That said, I just bought a Canon 40d so, I'll attempt the DSLR thing again, but at a much cheaper entry price this time. Obviously I had no issues with the D700 IQ.

Old 12-22-2010   #95
thawkins
thawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkins View Post
Zorki "C"............absolutely a pain in the fundament to load, a rangefinder that is too small and sounds like the "gnashing of the proletarian teeth" when the shutter is fired.
And as I contiune to think about it; the cheap plasticky feel of the modern digital camera that will be obselete in only a few years.

Old 12-22-2010   #96
John Lawrence

Zorki 4 and Pentacon Six.

The latter I really wanted to like, but found that in bright sunlight I could see diddly squat through the waist level finder. The prism finder wasn't much better either.

John

Old 12-22-2010   #97
LeicaM3

Disappointing:

Bodies:
Leica M8
Canon A1, AE1 (did like the F1)
Canon 5D, 5dII, 1Dmk3

Lenses:
Canon 50/1.2L, 35L, 135L
Nikon 35/2AF 50/1.8AF
CV 21/4

Old 12-22-2010   #98
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Hasselblad 503CX with 80/2.8 - nice enough kit, but painfully slow to focus and use. How on earth do people use these for shooting on the street? Hasselblad should be spelled "Hassle" blad
... Do you mean by any chance the Hasselblad 500 C/M ...

Except my dislike for that digital stuff ... the only camera that I never really liked and could get used to was my Olympus Pen F ... Out of 2 rolls 135-36 all 144 (all !!) were totally miss-focused, using two different lenses ...

flickr
pBase

Old 12-22-2010   #99
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaM3 View Post
Disappointing:
Lenses:
Canon 50/1.2L, 35L, 135L
Wow that's interesting. You managed to pick some very well respected lenses... May I ask what made you disappointed in them?

Old 12-22-2010   #100
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post

135mm lenses - who uses them, for what???
I take it you don't like that FL? That seems to have been a standad in RF and SLR for a long time. My first two lenses in SLR were a kit containing a 28mm and a 135mm. It was a good compromise between 100mm and 200mm. It was also a nice enough portrait lens.

YMMV

Old 12-22-2010   #101
Andy Kibber

I agree with Joe. TLRs make me dizzy. I had a Yashica 124G for a few months but I couldn't bring myself to use it.

Old 12-22-2010   #102
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kibber View Post
I agree with Joe. TLRs make me dizzy. I had a Yashica 124G for a few months but I couldn't bring myself to use it.
I loved mine when I had it. After I replaced it with a Mamiya Super Press 23, I couldn't find 6x6 so interesting. I later got a Rolleiflex and have hardly ever used it. It is probably one of my most disappointing cameras, fine as it is. But I don't think I really dislike any of my cameras that work as they were designed. Another that I have a lot of trouble liking to use is the Kiev. Not because it is a Kiev, but because I just can't fall in love with 35mm RF. I can use it, but prefer SLR.

Old 12-22-2010   #103
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Contax T3

I found this camera in an abandoned part of Brooklyn close to where I lived and came close to almost stepping on it. I figured some lost tourist of hipster lost their camera because it was so small.

I found the camera had to many features that I tried constantly to defeat; autofocus killed my creativity; and the shutter delay destroyed the purpose of having a point and shoot.

I took the worst pictures I ever made with this camera, and the only thing I liked about it was its compact size. I did learn that I am old school; I love simple-simple manual focus cameras; and for hand held work in low light a heavy camera is my friend.

Cal

Old 12-22-2010   #104
Phantomas

Epson R-D1 - sold after one day out with it. Will not ever use anything crop sensor again. Nice-ish camera, just felt flimsy; crop sensor was forcing me to rethink FL of every lens I was attaching. And I didn't want to keep a camera that had a very uncertain future. But mostly it's becuase of crop sensor.

Fuji MF RFs - nothing wrong at all with image quality, but they're too HUGE! Not exactly what I'd call "street camera". But that's what I bought one for, without having seen/held one before. As soon as I opened the box I was like, OK, this "Fisher Price" looking thing is going back, no way am I going to shoot candid street.

Old 12-22-2010   #105
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
Epson R-D1 - sold after one day out with it. Will not ever use anything crop sensor again. Nice-ish camera, just felt flimsy; crop sensor was forcing me to rethink FL of every lens I was attaching. And I didn't want to keep a camera that had a very uncertain future. But mostly it's becuase of crop sensor.
I can relate to this - I really liked everything about the camera, but the crop sensor ruined it for me. Lasted a week before I sold it.

Old 12-22-2010   #106
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
135mm lenses - who uses them, for what???
Thanks for using a smiley, if not, those are fighting words

I *love* 135mm focal length:

Nikkor-Q 135/2.8

Pentax SMC 135/2.5

CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5

Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135/2.8

Olympus OM 135/2.8

Old 12-22-2010   #107
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. But cropped or not, FOV=lens FL or not, is really an issue if you shoot 135 exclusively, is it not? For those who also use MF and/or LF etc its not much of an issue, as you either feel compelled to translate FL´s between the formats to a common base, in which case its second nature, or just don´t care and pick whatever does the job. I prefer the latter approach.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 12-22-2010   #108
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdigital View Post
Wow that's interesting. You managed to pick some very well respected lenses... May I ask what made you disappointed in them?
L lenses can vary. You can get a bad one. L lenses may represent Canon's top of the line optics, but they are not always the best.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 12-22-2010   #109
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaM3 View Post
Disappointing:

Bodies:
Leica M8
Canon 5D, 1Dmk3

Lenses:
Canon 50/1.2L, 35L, 135L
That's the backbone of my digital kit ...

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-22-2010   #110
wakarimasen

For me it was a Canon QL17 GIII. I loved its' look, the weight and the way it felt. However, I just couldn't 'get on' with it.

Old 12-22-2010   #111
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
Was thinking the same thing. I just love my D700 - other than the fact that it is so freaking heavy and bulky.

Old 12-22-2010   #112
faris

Summilux 35mm asph v1...dog of a lens on my 2 M8s. useless after f/1.4

nikon 35/2
nikon 45/2.8 pancake
nikon 28/1.4..overhyped.nothing special for me. still have it, shall sell it soon.

canon 70-300...the green ring one...what a waste of money.

Old 12-22-2010   #113
nobbylon

This is a great thread. Not only does it show great similarities in our opinion, it also shows how different we can all be. One persons ultimate is anothers dread! It shows that ultimately all the reviews and opinions of others are useless until we try stuff out for ourselves. Find out what works for us and use accordingly. There is no perfect camera or lens, there's always a compromise. For me it's the size of the D700 and lens however it does what I want it to do so for now I'll stick with it.

Old 12-22-2010   #114
Thardy

Nikon lenses

Leica M6

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 12-22-2010   #115
nosmok

My Olympus xa4 is going back to the shop. Again. It's great when it works, which is almost never.

Rollei 35-- broke on the trip I bought it for, on the first day. Ergonomics are awful. Did get some nice shots out of it once fixed, but have not missed it since I sold it.

On the other hand, have recently been enlarging stuff I shot with disposable "panoramic" cameras, including from the trip the Rollei was supposed to document, and am astonished at how good they look. Plastic rules!

--nosmok

Old 12-22-2010   #116
leicashot

I'm amazed at how many people are complaining about gear. Does anyone wonder whether there is any user error based on these negative experiences with their 'poor performing' equipment? I'm seeing some wild accusations here against some pretty good kit. What's that saying about 'a man and blaming his tools?'

Dare I ask people to show examples of their results?

LEICAHUB on Facebook

Old 12-22-2010   #117
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
I'm amazed at how many people are complaining about gear. Does anyone wonder whether there is any user error based on these negative experiences with their 'poor performing' equipment? I'm seeing some wild accusations here against some pretty good kit. What's that saying about 'a man and blaming his tools?'

Complaints? My gear is far better than I am. And I'm using the stuff that disappoints others!

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-22-2010   #118
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post

Your equipment list, straight from your signature at this date:
Leica M9 : Leica Noctilux 50/0.95 : Zeiss Planar 50/2 : Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 : Thumbs Up Grip : Leica 1.4x Magnifier

May I ask why don't you shoot with a Nikon D3x? or Canon 1Ds MarkIII? you certainly can afford those. Probably because you *prefer* M9, yes? Does that mean those are bad cameras? not at all.

That's all I read in this thread, people discussing tool preferences over the other. And it's fun to read the reasons (or the non-reasons).

Old 12-22-2010   #119
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarker13 View Post
Was thinking the same thing. I just love my D700 - other than the fact that it is so freaking heavy and bulky.

Someone not liking a D700 ... shock horror I agree!

As for the bulk and weight ... I pick my 67ii Pentax up every few days whether I'm shooting it or not to remind me what bulk and weight actually is!

Old 12-22-2010   #120
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakarimasen View Post
For me it was a Canon QL17 GIII. I loved its' look, the weight and the way it felt. However, I just couldn't 'get on' with it.
ditto (as unpopular as such an opinion might be)