Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Can't see film number in the window on Brownie Target Six-20
Old 07-15-2017   #1
lightbox222

Can't see film number in the window on Brownie Target Six-20

Hi-

New to the forums here.

I found a Brownie Target Six-20 in nice condition last week, cleaned it up and started using it. The one issue that I had was that I could barely see the exposure number in the film count window on the back. This was with a roll of Kodak Tri-X. Was wondering if there was a film stock that had the numbers printed in a spot that was compatible with this camera.

Old 07-15-2017   #2
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Ironically, literally any film made by any company other than Kodak.

This is a well known problem with Kodak film. They changed the backing paper last year and now the backing paper numbers don't line up with the red windows on most 6x9 format cameras. A few people on this forum contacted Kodak and were told that the issue has been fixed, but so far I have yet to see a roll with the numbers in the right position.

However, just to be sure, have you used a camera with a red window before? Because many people who aren't used to them will zoom past the numbers without knowing it first time around, or they'll see the symbols at the start of the roll through the window and think they must've done something wrong/wound too far.

Old 07-15-2017   #3
MikeMGB

I have the same problem. I use several 6x9 cameras. Using Kodak film the numbers do not line up, using Ilford they do. I haven't tried any other brands yet.