Ultrafine Xtreme Black & White Film ISO 400
Old 06-01-2018   #1
kshapero
Photog

Question Ultrafine Xtreme Black & White Film ISO 400

Price is right, but I have no experience with this film. Anyone using this film? Comments, please?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-01-2018   #2
MaxElmar

I would just give 'em a call and ask about who manufactured the stuff. You can get some real info then. Pretty sure they didn't make it.

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 06-01-2018   #3
mpaniagua

I'm using it. It pretty good for the price. Some people compare it to HP5+ but I think its different:

Will develop a 120 roll this weekend, which I exposed at 800 ISO. Lets see how it comes out.

Bought a 100ft of it and been playing with it with different developers. At the moment, settled for Rodinal at 1/25, 17min with slight agitation each minute. Seems to be longer than the recommended time but I like the results.

I think it worth trying it. Not a bad film if that's what you are asking. Acetate base seems a bit thin negatives (although I haven't had big scratch issues).

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-01-2018   #4
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I believe it is Kentmere 400. A friend just gave me a couple of rolls to try but I've not shot it yet.

Old 06-01-2018   #5
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I believe it is Kentmere 400. A friend just gave me a couple of rolls to try but I've not shot it yet.
Umm Could be. Close relative at least. Different base through. Kentmere dries quite flat and Xtreme curls a little.

Quite like Kentmere 400 though, 100 not so much.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-01-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Boris Kireev, prolific street shooter and bw modern films review author based in Moscow, send me this film as Kentmere 400 once (as the gift).
I just haven't open it yet.

Old 06-01-2018   #7
Steve M.

It may be a good film, but there has been serious quality controls in the past w/ Ultrafine. I and others over at APUG ended up w/ lots of circles and numbers on our 120 negs from their Plus B&W film. The emulsion did some crazy things too. I called the guy who distributed it, and a woman answered and said someone would be right back to talk to me about it, then put me on hold. That was several years ago......I'm still waiting for him to get back to me :[

If you're looking for a good buy, I have had excellent results with Arista EDU Ultra films from Freestyle Photo in the past, but they're not as budget priced as they used to be.

Old 06-01-2018   #8
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
It may be a good film, but there has been serious quality controls in the past w/ Ultrafine. I and others over at APUG ended up w/ lots of circles and numbers on our 120 negs from their Plus B&W film. The emulsion did some crazy things too. I called the guy who distributed it, and a woman answered and said someone would be right back to talk to me about it, then put me on hold. That was several years ago......I'm still waiting for him to get back to me :[

If you're looking for a good buy, I have had excellent results with Arista EDU Ultra films from Freestyle Photo in the past, but they're not as budget priced as they used to be.

https://i.imgur.com/z7D8aS3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YsSVKRN.jpg
Plus film did had some quality issues, especially on 120.

I've been running something like the half of a 100ft roll with no issues so far. Bought some Xtreme 100 and 400 for 120 but still need to develop those.

Regards
Marcelo

Old 06-01-2018   #9
J enea

both the 100 and 400 xtreme films area very good. I think they are similar to the rollei 100 and 400 RPX line, like same developer times, same finishing and so on

Old 06-01-2018   #10
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by J enea View Post
both the 100 and 400 xtreme films area very good. I think they are similar to the rollei 100 and 400 RPX line, like same developer times, same finishing and so on
Was thinking about trying rollei films. Does Xtreme 400 looks anything like rollei 400 RPX?

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-01-2018   #11
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I tried the 100 and 400, though I don't remember an "Extreme" designation. Here's the 100 at it's best for me, a lot of blown highlights in some and noise. Scan is from the folks who develop and I've used other films that didn't come out as noisy. Haven't bought any more.

Old 06-01-2018   #12
dourbalistar

They had a 10% off sale for Memorial Day, so I just ordered a 100-foot bulk roll of Xtreme 400 in 135 and a few rolls of the same in 120. Hard to argue with the price especially for the bulk roll (~$31 with the discount), so I wanted to see if it was a good budget option for volume shooting. Following this thread now, but I'll also add my results once I have them.

flickr

Old 06-01-2018   #13
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
I tried the 100 and 400, though I don't remember an "Extreme" designation. Here's the 100 at it's best for me, a lot of blown highlights in some and noise. Scan is from the folks who develop and I've used other films that didn't come out as noisy. Haven't bought any more.
AFAIK, this are films that are made by third party companies, so there was a Ultrafine 100 and 400 that where different than the Xtreme versions. Never actually tried the Ultrafine (less the Xtreme) so not sure about those.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-01-2018   #14
dourbalistar

FWIW, Ultrafine Plus and Ultrafine Xtreme are listed as different emulsions (with different developing times) in Photo Warehouse's development chart.

flickr

Old 06-01-2018   #15
seany65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I though the the company that makes Kentmere said they don't use re-badged films and that they don't make film for anyone else?

Old 06-01-2018   #16
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Ilford does the Rollei RPX films...

Old 06-01-2018   #17
J enea

ilford will not rebrand any of their films, but had never said they would not do it for films they manufacture for others, my guess is the reason the xtreme film is so cheap was that there was no development cost. they just used an already designed formula for someone else and used that. thats just my guess though

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
dourbalistar

FWIW, when I dumped out the pre-soak water, it was mostly clear, unlike Ilford HP5+ which is kind of purplish.

1966 Dodge Dart 270.

Hasselblad 500 C/M, Zeiss Planar T* 80mm f/2.8 CF, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.06.09 Roll #161-02443-Pano-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
dourbalistar

Hasselblad 500 C/M, Zeiss Planar T* 80mm f/2.8 CF, Extension Tube 8, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.06.09 Roll #161-02428-Pano-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Ccoppola82

Funny. I just ordered a brick in 135 and 5 or so in 120. Figured I'd use it for messing around. The first roll came out surprisingly nice though!

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Was thinking about trying rollei films. Does Xtreme 400 looks anything like rollei 400 RPX?

Regards

Marcelo

Marcelo,

Rollei RPX 100 and 400 is nothing special. It is just repackaged Kentmere 100 and 400. But at a much higher price compared to original Kentmere.
Therefore it makes more sense to buy the original Kentmere films.

Cheers, Jan

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by seany65 View Post
I though the the company that makes Kentmere said they don't use re-badged films and that they don't make film for anyone else?
Well, the manufacturer is Harman technology / Ilford Photo in Mobberley, England.

Ilford Photo is their brand name.
They have bought the former Kentmere company in England about ten years ago. And they closed the Kentmere factory after that.
Kentmere was only a photo paper manufacturer.
They have never produced any film!

Sometime after the purchase of Kentmere Harman technology introduced cheap films under the Kentmere brand on the market: Kentmere 100 and 400.
These films have a quality level a bit lower than FP4+ and HP5+. E.g. their anti-halation undercoat (AHU) is worse and not so effective as that of the Ilford branded films. You immediatley see that when you photograph light sources: You get a bit Halo around them.

Harman technology did not give there Ilford branded films away for house branding of other companies.
But they did that with their Kentmere films:

- AgfaPhoto APX 100 and 400
- Rollei RPX 100 and 400
- Fotoimpex CHM 100 and 400
- Oriental 100 and 400
(- and probably also these Ultrafine films)
are all just Kentmere 100 and 400 in different boxes and mostly at higher prices.

Cheers, Jan