Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Project to empower photographers to repair cameras themselves
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Skiff

Project to empower photographers to repair cameras themselves

I think this a really good project:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...basic-course#/

Friends of mine have bought repaired cameras from them and they were very satiesfied. They are trustworthy.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
aizan

The pitch started out great, but my excitement plummeted as I got to the table of contents.

Quote:
The sections covered will be:
1. Why would you want to rescue cameras?
2. What to look for? Part A - The Cameras
3. What to look for? Part B - The Condition of a Camera
4. Where to look for hidden cameras? (Online and in the real world)
5. What can I repair in a camera?
6. Where and how to sell cameras?
And section 5:

Quote:
5) Can I repair a camera?

The three levels of work on a camera - repairing, fixing and maintenance - and which ones of them you can do at home.

Light seal replacement.
Cleaning battery compartments
Replacing leathers
Cleaning the outside of the camera
Getting battery adapters
How to find information on doing repairs.
Why should actual repairs be left for people with the right knowhow and tools.
Ugh! It's not a camera repair course at all, which is what we need to get young people excited about. This is the sort of information you'd need if you wanted to set up an Etsy shop or the like. We'll end up with more people going to thrift shops to buy and clean up cameras that only need a little sprucing up, then sticking on an excessive price tag. The best case scenario is that it inspires someone in high school to become a camera repair tech. More likely, Millenials and Gen Z'ers looking for a side hustle will go for it, and like a lot of cooking shows, it'll end up discouraging people from giving actual camera repair a try. This isn't about rescuing cameras or helping to create a new generation of repair technicians. It's more about taking advantage of hopeful entrepreneurs who don't need to spend their money on information that's already free and easily available.

I am getting so old and curmudgeonly.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
K14

^^^
Totally agree. Focus on a camera you like and look for folks who repaired them, free.

For my Pen EE

Yes and went with the vodka for a couple of reasons.