Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

[Repair] Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2
Old 12-09-2018   #1
NavajoGio

[Repair] Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f/2

Hi forum,

First post here looking for help..

Sadly i smashed my lens aperture ring during a drop on my trip to New York.
The glass works fine but the aperture is broken.

Apart from feeling sorry i destroyed a vintage piece of gear, what you recommend me do with the working glass?
Is any workshop interested for parts or can be fixed?

Cheers,
George

Old 12-09-2018   #2
retinax

You'll only know with certainty if it can be repaired when you or a repair person have looked at it/inside it. But to get an idea, we'll need more information about the aperture (ring). Does the ring simply not turn? Is it set to the full aperture?
If it can't be fixed, there's a fair chance someone wants the optics, there are probably more of these around with optical rather than mechanical problems.

Old 12-09-2018   #3
NavajoGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
You'll only know with certainty if it can be repaired when you or a repair person have looked at it/inside it. But to get an idea, we'll need more information about the aperture (ring). Does the ring simply not turn? Is it set to the full aperture?
If it can't be fixed, there's a fair chance someone wants the optics, there are probably more of these around with optical rather than mechanical problems.
Well the aperture rotates but became very stiff, must be the bent metal friction or something broken inside. Optics and focus ring work.

Old 12-09-2018   #4
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavajoGio View Post
Well the aperture rotates but became very stiff, must be the bent metal friction or something broken inside. Optics and focus ring work.

The ring turns and the aperture changes accordingly? Then I'd wager that a repair person can put it back in working order, although it may not get as smooth feeling as it was.

There's also the possibility that the optics were de-centered or whatever by the knock, so I'd test how it performs before sending it for repair. Sorry, I have no idea who to send it to, ask locally first?