Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

What is a 28mm lens good for?
Old 11-13-2008   #1
MarkoKovacevic

What is a 28mm lens good for?

I'm longing for a 50mm for my nikon, and until then I'll have to use the 28mm full time. I'm wondering what subjects/situations you think this lens is good for?
The main bad subject for this lens is a head and shoulders portrait, I think.

Old 11-13-2008   #2
Al Kaplan

Well, yes. if you're looking for a coventional flattering portrait then a 50 to 90mm lens is the usual choice, but sometimes you can work WITH the distortion to give you a more dramatic effect. This was shot 32 years ago with a 19mm f/3.5 Canon lens. http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6...;207%20adj.jpg My daughter Elena is now 37.

Unless you're shooting some specific subject lens choice is mainly based on how YOU see the world. Some people like to stand back, observe, and might choose a longer focal length. Others like the feeling of intimacy, of "being there", that you can onle get with a wide angle. It can almost make you feel like you're IN the picture.

Look at a scene, any scene at all, and compose the picture in your mind. What's in it, what's not, the best place to shoot from, all that stuff. It might be perfect for a 28, maybe not. Most of us instinctively gravitate to one or two leses for most all our shooting. The rest may be fun to have but rarely used.

Use that 28 for awhile, try others, make use of the frame selector lever to check out the coverage of the others. For now I'd forget about a 50 and add a 90 to your kit. That'll cover you in most all situations.

My Gallery

Last edited by Al Kaplan : 11-13-2008 at 20:43.

Old 11-13-2008   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

It is good for photos. Take some and show us here.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-13-2008   #4
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Nice to street about. It's a bit weird in the beginning, but once you get used to getting close first, it can be fun. I spent probably four months getting used to all the dead space I got in my shots... It's nice in B&W. At least, I like it better than in color.

What type do you have in mind? Slow, the f3.5 or a Zeiss/Leica f2.8?
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-13-2008   #5
MarkoKovacevic

The Nikon 28 F2.8 AF-D

Here is an album I shot with it http://picasaweb.google.com/Markok765/MisoWedding

Old 11-13-2008   #6
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I like a 28mm for driving range shots. Damn satisfying to send a 28mm several hundred yards with a good club.

Old 11-13-2008   #7
Al Kaplan

Now if you get yourself a 15mm lens you can get yourself IN the pictures! http://bp2.blogger.com/_b7J54W1JOoc/...0-h/blog+6.jpg
http://bp0.blogger.com/_b7J54W1JOoc/.../s1600-h/3.jpg

My Gallery

Old 11-13-2008   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

I used a 28mm lens for three weeks as my main lens in an overseas trip last summer. People need to think out of the box; 28mm is wider than 35mm [which most people here pray to], and longer than a 21mm lens, which many people here often use. It can handle both situations that 35mm and 21mm lenses can handle. Maybe it is then twice as useful? Food for thought.

Last edited by raid : 11-13-2008 at 19:03.

Old 11-13-2008   #9
shimokita
白黒

I "forced" myself to shoot 28mm for one year and now I find it hard to shoot any other length. I enjoyed the experience of working with one lens over an extended period. Now using a 50mm and it takes some effort to get use to it. Here are some examples at 28mm:

Shibuya, Tokyo

Casey
Nikon F3HP, AI'ed Nikkor-H 28 f/3.5, & Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5
Nikon F3P, AI-S 20 f/2.8, 35 f/1.4, 50 f1.2, & 85 f/1.4
Fuji X100T, 23mm f/2 fixed lens
Mamiya RB67, K/L 90 f/3.5 L
Nikon Coolscan V ED & Epson GT-X830

Old 11-13-2008   #10
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kaplan View Post
<snip> Others like the feeling of intimacy, of "being there", that you can only get with a wide angle. It can almost make you feel like you're IN the picture. <snip>
Al summed up, very succinctly, what it is that causes me to use a 28mm lens over half the time (the rest is almost always 35mm). There is some 3-D sense of presence that comes from using a 28mm.

And I tend to want to show a bit of a subject's environment in my work. I don't want my work to look like a subject standing in front of a seamless backdrop. I also am continually in conversation with my subjects so I want to be close.

It's just that old "different strokes for different folks."

Old 11-13-2008   #11
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

For me, it is between a 35mm and a 28mm for capturing what I think of as "natural vision;" which is to say that the lens records close to what I'd expect to see if actually present at the location where the shot was taken. A 35mm probably comes closest to seeing what I see; but the 28 opens up space better, giving more of a "you are there" perspective. A 24mm may give even more "you are there;" but sometimes at the expense of looking obviously wide-angle. A 28mm does not call attention to the wide-angle effect. It's there, but it's subtle. I don't even think of a 35 as wide angle. It's the normal lens, to my eye.

Old 11-13-2008   #12
Krosya
Konicaze

28mm is my least used lens. Dont know why. Just cant get into it. I use 50mm a lot. I use 21mm good amount. I use 35mm sometimes. Even 90mm and 105mm get some use. But 28mm just not the lens I grab. Even 25mm and 15mm get more use. I do "force" myself to use it sometimes. And I think the only reason I keep one - it's a M-Hexanon 28/2.8. This lens is very very good and while it's far from my favorite FL, optics of this lens make me keep it. But I dont think I'd buy another one.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 11-13-2008   #13
waileong

I find 28 mm not very useful. Not really wide enough. My kit is 24 mm, 35 mm and 90 mm.

Old 11-13-2008   #14
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoKovacevic View Post
I'm longing for a 50mm for my nikon, and until then I'll have to use the 28mm full time. I'm wondering what subjects/situations you think this lens is good for?
The main bad subject for this lens is a head and shoulders portrait, I think.
Let's stay on topic here...

Like Al said, it does bring about a certain coparticipation from the viewer's perspective, but it's not an easy lens to get used to. If you do as Raid, who simply used it for a long period, or like Casey, who decided to use it as if there were no substitution, you'll inevitably find that it's a good all-around lens. I like it because it's very inclusive, wide enough to distort things a bit... that's why you need to get closer.

Once you get it, it's a matter of learning to like it. To me, 35mm is a very normal focal length, but 28mm isn't too strange or terribly different.

There you go!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-13-2008   #15
35mmdelux
#Represent

for travel the 28mm is excellent. I do not use it much at home. As you may know the 28 is called the landscape lens, or the lens that tells a story; I suppose primarily because it incorporates so much into the foto. When you get your 50 you will have a great 28/50 kit.

Check out Bruce Gilden, Bruno Barbey, or Nan Goldin -- exquiste users of the 28.

Old 11-13-2008   #16
Bingley

I'm still figuring out this focal length, but I appreciate that it forces me to step closer to my subject.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 11-13-2008   #17
kxl
Social Documentary

A couple of months back, someone posted a series of images taken with the new CV 28/20. - that should show you a good representation of the 28's uses.

I don't own one, since I have never really taken too well to the perspective -- it just doesn't seem wide enough. I prefer 24/25mm to complement my 50mm.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 11-13-2008   #18
craygc

Any excuse to post some pics...
These are all from the Fuji Klasse W which is a fixed 28mm P&S. I love 28mm and for as close as I like to shoot, I dont find it that different from a 35mm lens. I think its just practice and understanding what works and what doesnt with this focal length.

Old 11-13-2008   #19
ijohnnyz
shoot pictures not people

For me, 50mm is short-telephoto, 35mm is normal, and 28mm is where wide beings. You can begin to detect wide angle exaggeration with a 24mm but 28mm is the sweet spot. 28mm is what I see with both eyes open and 35mm is with one eye.

Old 11-13-2008   #20
maddoc
... likes film.

Is that a photo of Toshihiro (Tommy) Oshima ? It looks like him ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post

flickr
pBase

Old 11-13-2008   #21
mfogiel

A 28mm is the basic street lens and a great companion to the 50mm.

As you can see. it is a very versatile fl...

craygc

Your undergraund station shot is truly fantastic !

Old 11-13-2008   #22
stefan_dinu

Ask google images about Gary Winogrand. You will find out.

Old 11-13-2008   #23
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Any excuse to post some pics...
These are all from the Fuji Klasse W which is a fixed 28mm P&S. I love 28mm and for as close as I like to shoot, I dont find it that different from a 35mm lens. I think its just practice and understanding what works and what doesnt with this focal length.

Great shots! I like #1 and #4 the most. #7 is nice too

Old 11-13-2008   #24
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Is that a photo of Toshihiro (Tommy) Oshima ? It looks like him ...
Yep, that certainly is Toshihiro. Also, if you know him, its Kohiyama Takahiro in the out of focus background. This was in Shinjuku last year.

Old 11-13-2008   #25
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
...craygc

Your undergraund station shot is truly fantastic !
Thanx. That was going to a customer meeting carrying PC, etc and as I was leaving the platform I just had to pull out the P&S and shot a couple of times while being pushed myself

Old 11-13-2008   #26
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Yep, that certainly is Toshihiro. Also, if you know him, its Kohiyama Takahiro in the out of focus background. This was in Shinjuku last year.
Nice !! Kohiyama-san, I don't know ... it seems you guys had a good time ! I haven't met Tommy in person just a short exchange of emails. Hopefully, next time I visit Tokyo ...

Cheers,

Gabor

flickr
pBase

Old 11-14-2008   #27
nixarma

Hi Marko,

I think the perspective distortion that the 28mm focal length offers can be quite interesting. While not as dramatic as the 21mm it can still offer quite a bit.

Nikhil

Old 11-14-2008   #28
FifthLeaf
amateur

Google Garry Winogrand, Bruce Gilden, and Sam Abell to see some good photographs taken almost exclusively by 28mm lenses.

Old 11-14-2008   #29
alcaraban

As Rob-F said above, a 28mm gives you a wide field of vision without the sometimes distracting and often quite obvious wide effect of the 24mm or 25mm. Good for a kind of portrait in which you can stand at some distance of the subject.

Old 11-14-2008   #30
palec

It's also great for interior shots, where the space is tight but the perspective distortion is not overemphasized. With this lens you have to forget your "invisibility", you are more in the picture, but not unnoticed. As such I like it for close-up portraits.

Old 11-14-2008   #31
Spider67

"It's also great for interior shots, where the space is tight"
I can confirm that! 28mm is also a very ggod lens if you take pics in narrow streets. A 50 or 35mm will just show a small part of these streets whereas 28mm replicates the whole stretview. But I have also used 21mm for street and for portraits.

Old 11-15-2008   #32
Anthony Harvey

When I go out I prefer to use only one body and one fixed lens. I used to use a 28mm and nothing else for some ten years (except for the very occasional 50mm head and shoulders or face-only portrait). Later, with an M4-P I just used the 35mm. At the moment, returning to rangefinders and black and white film from what seems a lifetime with digital bodies and zooms , I'm finding it difficult to decide between the 35 and the 28. One minute it's one, and the next it's the other. But little by little I'm coming to the conclusion that, for me, the 35 is neither one thing nor the other - it's not a 50 or close to it, and it's often not quite wide enough as a wide.

I therefore used the 40mm and found that, for me, it did the job better than the 35 of being a bit wider than a 50; and in addition it came very close to the perspective of the 50 that I wanted for horizontal upper-body portraits. Of course it wasn't wide but I convinced myself that it was wide enough for what I wanted. I used the 40 for a bit but then I tried the Zeiss f2.8 28 and re-discovered all the good things about the 28 that I'd forgotten. So it's back to the 28.

As Memphis says, the secret to the 28 is getting in close, and if you've got a good lens you don't get horrible distortion. His first example proves the point - in a way it doesn't look wide angle at all. Just perfect. To my eyes it could have almost been taken with a 50 from a distance.

So for the time being at least, I just take the ZI and the 28. I must say that so far I feel much happier and am not continuously fretting that perhaps I should have taken the 35 or 50. It puts me back in the happy days when I only had the humble f3.5 28 screw Super-Takumar and a Pentax K1000. That Pentax lens was perfect too cos it gave me no real distortion and allowed me to take the sort of photos exemplified by Memphis's first photo.

(I sometimes think that what I really want is the optically-perfect short zoom, 28-50. But then I remember that I've still got to decide what zoom setting I should use!)

Anthony

28mm lens
Old 11-15-2008   #33
john341
camera user

28mm lens

I would like a 28mm lens for my Leica. I often look at the view through a 28mm viewfinder and think what a great coverage the focal length.. I sold one many years ago (darn!) and I think is is a great lens to experiment with..

Old 11-15-2008   #34
raid
Dad Photographer

I now have three excellent 28mm lenses in Leica mount, and this may be one too many.

Canon 28mm/3.5 ... very small and very sharp and low contrast

Kobalux 28mm/3.5 ... very well made and sharp with higher contrast than the Canon lens

Rokkor-M 28mm/2.8 ... superb little lens is of Leica quality overall.

Old 11-15-2008   #35
navilluspm

Location: Among high mountains and lush forests of Regina, SK, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohnnyz View Post
28mm is what I see with both eyes open and 35mm is with one eye.

The same is true for me! I always loved 28 or 85, until I forced myself to shoot 50. I tried 35mm for a while but I could not get used to composing. One eye shut helped me, but the 28 just seems natural to me. I can walk up to a subject and know where to stand before I lift the camera to my face.

That being said, I probably still use the 85 the most (because my only AF lens for my Canon Rebel XTI is a 50mm, which I use alot for my kids indoors - and that ends up being the equivallent to an 80mm)

Last edited by navilluspm : 11-15-2008 at 16:17.

2.8cm lens
Old 11-15-2008   #36
john341
camera user

2.8cm lens

Quite so..looking out over Brisbane now, the view is a 28mm one. I had just returned from o/seas and I'd taken many pix with my 50mm Summitar (love that lens) and a few with a Jupiter 35mm..I am now sorry I did't use the 35mm more..for me it is often my standard lens.

Old 11-15-2008   #37
besk

I settled on the 28 and 50 combo as the principle lenses for all my 35mm photography several years ago.

The 28 stays on the camera when traveling with the 50 in my bag and when at home and not traveling it is the 50 that is on the camera and the 28 in the bag.

The 28 gives a "natural" wide angle look without obvious distortion most of the time. When traveling I want to bring home shots that are a fairly accurate representation of what I saw. Of course if you are just trying to "get it all in" say in a small room a 15 would be handy!

Last edited by besk : 11-15-2008 at 17:12. Reason: spelling

Old 11-15-2008   #38
john341
camera user

By the pictures I have seen today, the 28 certainly looks like to lens to use. Some great stuff here!

Old 11-15-2008   #39
Nh3
-

its all about the subject. its all about what you want to do.

if what you want to photograph does not fit in whatever focal length you're using, you go wider until it fits! or if its too far you go longer until its close enough!

its as simple as that.

Old 11-15-2008   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

Close-up with a 28mm lens. It works.