Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 03-12-2019   #2481
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This newspaper machine selling the Van Wert Times Bulletin stands in front of the post office in the small town of Convoy, Ohio. Convoy is located in Van Wert County, about 7 miles northwest of the town of Van Wert.

The sign on the newspaper machine says: "If you're reading this, print's not dead. Subscribe to the Times Bulletin Today."

I found it amusing that the lead story on the front page is about the first baby born in Van Wert's hospital in 2019. In the big city I live in, the headlines are more likely to concern the city's latest murder!

Old 03-12-2019   #2482
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I was saddened to learn a few minutes ago that my high school photography and art teacher, Don Goss, passed away today.

Mr. Goss taught at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne for 56 years, retiring only because the school was closed in 2010. He was himself an Elmhurst graduate!

I had been interested in photography since I was young, but Mr. Goss encouraged me to go to art school and make it my life's work. I was just one of many of his students who went on to become professional artists, and many of us kept in touch with him over the years. Peter and David Turnley took photography from him back in the 1970s.

This is a photograph that I made of him way back in 1994, when I was a senior in high school. I snapped it while he was lecturing during class one afternoon.

Old 03-14-2019   #2483
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This old boarded-up storefront is on the corner of Central Avenue and 28th Street in Indianapolis, Indiana.

All of the building's windows have large blue insects painted on the wood covering them!

Old 03-18-2019   #2484
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This little yellow brick building is on Tully Street, just west of Main Street, in the small town of Convoy, Ohio. The bench in front of the building has a sign with the Lions Club logo.

It is a beautiful building. It is unfortunate that the decorations on the top of the facade is broken.

Convoy is located in Van Wert County, about 7 miles northwest of the town of Van Wert.

Old 03-20-2019   #2485
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This tree stump was in my front yard in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I photographed it Monday morning with frost covering the grass and tiny clumps of white snow sprinkled over the top of the stump.

The sun had come out, and the frost lasted just a few more minutes after I made this photograph!

The tree was cut down in November, 2018 because it was growing in the power lines. The electric company promised to have the stump removed, but it took months before that happened. The day after I made this photograph, they came and removed the stump!

Old 03-21-2019   #2486
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This scene is on the west side of US-33, just north of McDuffee Road in the northwest corner of Allen County, Indiana.

It is the first of several photographs that I made of the sunset here last Wednesday evening.

Old 03-21-2019   #2487
Paulbe

Chris---nice photo! Looks like the trees are on fire... :-)
Thanks!
Paul

Old 03-21-2019   #2488
ChipMcD

Chris,

You have a gift for discerning the beautiful in your environment.

Chip

Old 03-22-2019   #2489
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here's the second photograph of the sunset that I made last Wednesday evening (3-13-19). This one was done just 45 minutes after the first one that I posted here yesterday, but the sky had changed dramatically!

Old 03-25-2019   #2490
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This little building was originally a small storefront, but someone lives in it, now. The sign in the front window says: "Elvis. The King Lives On."

It is on Main Street (State Road 105) in the small town of Andrews, Indiana.

Old 03-25-2019   #2491
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
This is a photograph that I made of him way back in 1994, when I was a senior in high school. I snapped it while he was lecturing during class one afternoon.

That's a beautiful portrait, thanks for sharing

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 03-25-2019   #2492
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Great set of Images and stories on this page Chris .

Sorry to hear of Mr Goss’ passing... RIP

Old 03-26-2019   #2493
webOSUser

I always enjoy your photos and the stories that you include.
My condolences for Mr Goss's passing.

Steve W

Old 03-26-2019   #2494
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
That's a beautiful portrait, thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Great set of Images and stories on this page Chris .

Sorry to hear of Mr Gossí passing... RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSUser View Post
I always enjoy your photos and the stories that you include.
My condolences for Mr Goss's passing.

Steve W

Thanks Nick, Helen, and Steve. Mr. Goss was such a big inspiration for so many artists here.

Old 03-26-2019   #2495
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another abstract photograph of the sky, made a couple weeks ago in rural Allen County, Indiana.

Old 03-27-2019   #2496
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Sherlock is one of the two resident cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I made this photograph of him two weeks ago.

He is quite fat because he spends most of his time lounging and eating. He's not very sociable, and gets annoyed with me for photographing him. I think he has gotten fatter since the last time that I photographed him, though the store's staff insists that he is losing weight!

A few months before I made this photograph of him, I was shopping at Hyde Brothers when Sherlock walked past me. I said to him; "Hey fatty, did you catch any mice today?" The woman working there got upset with me for calling him "Fatty." The cat looked annoyed by the question, so I said; "Would you like me better if I brought you some meat?" The clerk then jumps in and said; "Oh no, PLEASE DON'T FEED HIM. He's so fat already and we are trying so hard to make him lose weight!" I found that amusing, since she had just told me not to call him Fatty!

Hyde Brothers is an incredible locally-owned used book store on Wells Street in Fort Wayne. As long as I can remember, they've always had at least one cat in residence.

Old 03-28-2019   #2497
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A few minutes after I made the photograph in my last post, I went to the book store's basement (it is full of books, too!). When I was coming back up the stairs, Sherlock was up there watching me!

Old 03-29-2019   #2498
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The A-Team is in Fort Wayne! This van, painted to look like the van on the 1980's television show, is parked in front of Wells Street Coin Laundry on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I was amused to see the GMC logo glued to the front of the van's hood. The van used on The A-Team was a GMC van, but this one is actually a Ford!

Old 03-30-2019   #2499
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This old building is on Main Street (State Road 105) in the small town of Andrews, Indiana. The storefront is boarded-up, and a condemnation notice is posted on the door.

The building looks nice from the outside; it is unfortunate that is was condemned. The inside is probably in bad condition.

Old 03-30-2019   #2500
ChipMcD

Quote:

The A-Team is in Fort Wayne! This van, painted to look like the van on the 1980's television show, is parked in front of Wells Street Coin Laundry on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I was amused to see the GMC logo glued to the front of the van's hood. The van used on The A-Team was a GMC van, but this one is actually a Ford!
Looks like the musical arts still have a commercial presence in Ft. Wayne too.

Old 03-30-2019   #2501
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcD View Post
Looks like the musical arts still have a commercial presence in Ft. Wayne too.

Fort Wayne is actually home to a company called Sweetwater, which is one of the largest music equipment dealers in the United States.

Old 04-01-2019   #2502
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Hand-painted American flags are a common part of rural Indiana folk art. This one, painted on a piece of wooden stockade fence, stands next to a garage on Snowden Street in the small town of Andrews, Indiana.

Old 04-05-2019   #2503
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Welker Block is a historic commercial building on the corner of Wells Street and Fourth Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

For many years, this building's two storefronts were home to Linda Lou's furniture, which closed in 2017. In the fall of 2018, the building was purchased by Shawna Nicelley, the owner of G.I. Joe's Army Surplus (also on Wells Street, a couple blocks north of the Welker Block). She is giving the old building an extensive restoration.

The "Welker Block c. 1910" sign atop the building is new; it was added during the renovation. When I was young, the storefront on the left side of the building was a bar called the Happen Inn. It later became part of the furniture store.

Old 04-08-2019   #2504
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I'm still working on some new stuff,always behind in my editing. So, here's one of my favorite photographs from the early years.

This is my grandfather, Charles Crawford, holding the guitar that his mother bought him for his 16th birthday. He was 74 when I made this photograph of him 21 years ago, and he still played it occasionally. The wall behind him is covered in drawings made by his grandchildren.

Grandpa died in 2008, ten years after I made this portrait.

Old 04-11-2019   #2505
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Great pictures, delving into life around you. Good shot of your old teacher.

Old 04-18-2019   #2506
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This stop sign is on the corner of Belle Vista Boulevard and Gates Drive in the Belle Vista neighborhood in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Someone has painted "Obama" under the word "Stop," making the sign say "Stop Obama."

What's funny is that this is the second time someone has done this to a stop sign in this neighborhood! The first time was back in 2012, when President Obama was still in office. This one was actually done two years after Obama's presidency ended, so I'm not sure what, exactly, they want to stop Mr. Obama from doing.

I made this photograph yesterday afternoon.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2507
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Hope 214 Masonic Temple is a Freemason's hall on Main Street in the small town of Delphos, Ohio. The large whitewashed brick building also has a Nationwide Insurance agency in a storefront on the ground floor.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2508
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This building, on Broadway in Fort Wayne, was originally a laundromat called Solar Sudser. It later became a secondhand shop called Whutnots & Doodads, which closed in 2016. Another secondhand shop was there briefly after that, and the building has been vacant ever since.

The partially painted-over mural on the adjoining building depicted a large American flag behind the Statue of Liberty.

The tenant in the house next door said that an artist was going to paint a new mural over it, but stopped after painting over part of the old one.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2509
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:

I'm still working on some new stuff,always behind in my editing. So, here's one of my favorite photographs from the early years.

This is my grandfather, Charles Crawford, holding the guitar that his mother bought him for his 16th birthday. He was 74 when I made this photograph of him 21 years ago, and he still played it occasionally. The wall behind him is covered in drawings made by his grandchildren.

Grandpa died in 2008, ten years after I made this portrait.
Just sublime...GREAT Shot, Wonderful story ... Grandpa ruled !

Old 1 Week Ago   #2510
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This vacant storefront is on Main Street (State Road 105) in the small town of Andrews, Indiana. The sign on the front of the building, carved to look like a banner, says: "Your Home Town."

Old 1 Day Ago   #2511
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The sky over my house on a rainy evening last Friday.