Old 02-26-2019   #81
Ambro51

Sounds like a lot of people here are chasing that Wet Plate look. These plates aren’t the way to do it. Just sayin’.

Old 02-26-2019   #82
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
Sounds like a lot of people here are chasing that Wet Plate look. These plates aren’t the way to do it. Just sayin’.
I know a guy that does wet plate portraiture close by, in his home, to earn income. I'm going to meet him soon, he's not far away from where I live. We've talked at length on the phone, I want to watch him do it. He's quite an artist. But really I've not much interest in that process. Too messy, caustic, and dry plates can be exposed, and processed a year later. Come out fine. Dry plates truly revolutionized photography. Also this guy and I have a common interest in exotic and sometimes extremely old optics.

Just saying. Answer is "nope". If I wanted the "wet plate" look, I'd shoot wet plates

Old 02-26-2019   #83
carbo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambro51 View Post
Too complicated. Trying to chase wet plates I would get a divorce. I am just fine with J Lane plates. First ones look promising. And my ultimate goal anyway are kallitypes, and i can do that even with film, or even with digital negatives.

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 02-26-2019   #84
Nokton48

I enjoy struggling to get the results I want, and I find it very personally satisfying when I achieve my objective.

I like clean work, no processing defects. I know one view is that defects add to the experience of the photograph, that they add to the presentation. I just happen to generally not hold that view. Defects turn me off for the most part. I can deal with some, depending on the circumstances. When you go to the next level, and make your own dry plates, defects are common. Some think these are beautiful. Making your own dry plates is intensive and involves weeks of work. Jason is a scientist, I'd rather let him do the heavy lifting. His day job is designing optics to be used in space observation.

All I want are pristine, perfect glass negatives. I already know I am not going to get that right away. But I am in favor of shortening the learning curve. And lots of good friendly help is available from those who are already doing it.

Old 02-26-2019   #85
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo73 View Post
I'm quite suspect of the light leaks of one of the cameras, so I shoot a picture inside home with artificial light but with an exposition of 45s (at f8 as far as I remember).
I've taken inside pictures with leaky bellows cameras and holders, I carefully (and quickly) wrapped a dark cloth around the camera, once the slide is pulled.

It worked! But you should properly light trap your cameras and holders so you can use them as they were intended.

Old 02-26-2019   #86
Nokton48

Ilford Commercial Ortho 4x5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ilford Commercial Ortho is the modern product that most closely resembles J Lane glass plates in terms of sensitivity. I will be testing these two side by side.

Commercial Ortho is one of my favorite sheet emulsions.

Old 02-27-2019   #87
carbo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Ilford Commercial Ortho 4x5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ilford Commercial Ortho is the modern product that most closely resembles J Lane glass plates in terms of sensitivity. I will be testing these two side by side.

Commercial Ortho is one of my favorite sheet emulsions.
I've used Rollei Ortho 25, but only in 120 format.

About the light leaks, I've also tried that approach, of wrapping the back of the camera in dark cloth, and maybe is the best idea. In my Paten Etui I successfully repaired the light leak with part of a velcro. I'm trying to do the same with the other camera, but the "bald" velvet refuses to be disgorged, even with a cutter!

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 02-27-2019   #88
Nokton48

I've used a razor blade, or a sharp screwdriver, to get a corner started. Then I pull off the strip with heavy pliers. Go very slowly. Has worked for me.

+1 on the velcro strip. Hadn't thought of that one

Old 02-27-2019   #89
carbo73

First plates developed, both underexposed. Developed in R09 One Shot 1+50 for at least 5 minutes, probably 6 or 7, in trays and safety light. Ilford Rapid Fixer. "Scanned" with light table and Nikon D750.

Ernemann Heag I, 9x12.

KW Patent Etui 9x12. The light leak is my fault, I misplaced back the dark slide.

Old 02-28-2019   #90
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo73 View Post
First plates developed, both underexposed.
Very cool!

Old 03-01-2019   #91
Nokton48

JLane001 by Timothy Klein, on Flickr

Here's a 5x7 glass J Lane plate, developed by Tim Klein at Stearman Press, in his new prototype SP-810 film tank. Looks pretty good

Old 03-04-2019   #92
carbo73

Another couple of 9x12 plates, both with the KW Patent Etui. Exposure was more balanced this time, but I have problems both with DUST, a lot, and with dirt, mainly in the back of the plate. I have to clean them with glass cleaner, I presume but what about the dust? I've tried to blow and clean the holders, but maybe it sticks to the emulsion later, or in the old bellows of the camera...

Old 03-05-2019   #93
Nokton48

Looks like dust inside the camera to me. I have bought Sinar Norma bellows with sixty years of dust inside, so I feel your pain Use a small strong vacuum/brush with brush head and and gently vacuum the insides/outsides repeatedly. Amazing how much dust can be inside, often hidden in cracks, corners, etc. In my case I thought I got it all and done, then more shows up! I just take my time and do it as often as necessary. The plates may have a static charge which causes the dust to attract and stick to them? Just a guess................

Film Holders too, of course. Everything needs to be spotless. Dust always gravitates to the most obvious spot in your negative

Your latest look very good otherwise.

Old 03-07-2019   #94
Nokton48

J Lane Speed Plates 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

It took a while but Jason just sent me twenty of his ASA 25 "Speed Plates". He custom cut the glass to fit my Plaubel Makina plate holders, which are an odd size. I sent him a holder so he could determine the best fit.

SPRING IS COMING!

Old 03-08-2019   #95
Nokton48

Stearman SP445 Tank 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Stearman SP445 dev tank is here now. Only 16 oz of chemistry to do two 4x5/9x12 Lane glass plates, or four sheets of 9x12/4x5 modern flexible film. Useful! 3D printed item.

The ASA 25 Speed Plates fog easily. Jason sent the first batch, then emailed me and told me to throw them away!!! He went more than three minutes with his old safelight and fogged the speed plates. He has since switched his safelights. I bought a 5 1/2" Wratten #2 for my ancient Kodak safelight and he says that is OK with the speed plates. Kodak says for high speed Ortho film so that agrees with Jason's findings. You can also use a Kodak Dental X-Ray wratten filter, that is OK too. Very very dark red, must be 4 feet away at least. Or load the speedies in the dark. Not much light to see but enough to load!

The second batch he sent has no fogging. I will load them in the dark into the SP445. I will use the #2 to load the Makina holders.

Old 03-08-2019   #96
Nokton48

Stearman 9x12 J Lane Holders with two 4.5x6cm Lane plates by Nokton48, on Flickr

My really good news for today, is that I can drop four 4.5x6cm glass plates into Tim's 9x12 J Lane SP445 process racks. This fit my Plaubel Makinas and Makiflexes, in both sizes that I shoot. See my Avatar. These are accessory plate holders that can be purchased separately. They are 3D printed.

I've tried loading and inverting the tanks for a good bit. The smaller plates do not shift around or break.

Most excellent news! I should show the to Tim...........

Old 03-08-2019   #97
Ambro51

These images are all pretty good. The plates seem to be on the verge of being practical. Over the years many formulas for making dry plates have been tried tweaked and troublesome. The big difference between a dry plate and a wet plate is the wetplate is a molecular reaction on the Top of the substrate. A dry plate contains silver halides throughout the substrate, which in turn makes precision control of the Depth of the dry plate emulsion critical.

Old 03-08-2019   #98
Nokton48

I know a few dry plate fine art photographers that make their own. It takes weeks and is a humungeous amount of work.

So much easier to buy from Jason. His plates seem to be defect free. Some photographers LIKE defects. I am not from that school.

Old 03-08-2019   #99
Ambro51

Has anyone tried Pyro on this plate?

Old 03-08-2019   #100
Nokton48

I think so, haven't seen any examples, though. Jason posts over on www.largeformatphotography.info and www.apug.org
It's been discussed. PMK Pyro + is one of my fave soups.
the "+" is a shot of Amidol while increases shadow speed about 1/2 stp

Pyro is highly toxic but safe to use in liquid form. Wear rubber gloves!

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/01506...Film-Developer

Old 03-08-2019   #101
Nokton48

FYI from Apug.org

I’m happy to announce that I’ve just begun testing of a dry plate holder prototype which Chroma Camera and Pictoriographica have partnered to create! This holder is an affordable, quality solution to the problem dry plate photographers face in that this critical piece of equipment hasn’t been made in decades! There are high quality wet plate holders available that work, but honestly I’d prefer to carry two plates per holder just like I carry sheet film.

Leveraging our engineering backgrounds and our uniquely suited familiarity with dry plates and large format cameras, we have a design for a modern dry plate holder which meets the requirements that we as photographers ourselves would expect for quality, practicality, and — most importantly — affordability.

We currently plan to offer plate holders in the most common sizes of 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 thru the Kickstarter.

Pic is of the two 4x5 prototype designs that I am testing, from which we will downselect to the final design in time for the campaign launch.

Campaign start is ~2 months out (depending on our dayjob workload).

If you’re not familiar with Chroma Camera, I encourage you to check their stuff out at http://chroma.camera/

Cheers,
Jason

J Lane Chroma Dry Plate Holder by Nokton48, on Flickr

Ah ha... now these would fit standard 4x5 camera's, like the speed graphic, correct?
Yes absolutely. That’s my workhorse camera so I’ve already verified that they fit in the Speed Graphic. Since then I’ve basically been shoving the prototypes into every camera I come across to verify we properly sized it. So far so good. One slight twist: the antique film sheaths out there should fit as well so you can also run film in these...I’m testing that tonight to verify.

One thing we did know going into this is that film holder dimensions were standardized long ago, so that all the film holders out there would fit into all the cameras out there. Sort of like how film sizes are standardized. If I remember correctly, there’s a thread in the photrio archives on the topic.

We used the dimensions in that standard for establishing the basic critical “interfacing to the camera” dimensions in this holder. Making sure it fits into cameras as well as any other film holder was one of the key requirements. The current prototype testing will tell us whether we did our homework right, and gives us a chance to iron out the kinks even before the campaign launches. So yeah bottom line is I’m confident we have that nailed down.

These initial Kickstarter offerings are intended to fit 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 "standard backs" you could say, so in general use the rule of thumb that they will fit a camera that a "modern" sheet film holder will fit. This was an intentional decision to limit the scope of the Kickstarter to balance our available time since we both work day jobs. However, we also intentionally made this a scalable design, because after that I wanted to ensure we could supply plate holders in any size people would need. That's the same philosophy as for my dry plates so it should come as no surprise. If older Graflox backs require something slightly different, then I expect to be able to provide that... just not until after the KS.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 03-08-2019   #102
Nokton48

Jason sent me this cool period article on Pyro so I know he is interested.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ny...20pyro&f=false

Seems like a perfect matchup.........

Old 03-12-2019   #103
Kai-san
Filmwaster

I hope you will not banish me from the thread for posting this here since it's strictly not about J Lane. The plan was to try out some plates that are available in Europe first, so I ordered a pack of Agfa APX 100 glass plates from Macodirect in Germany. I did not compare prices before ordering, but I see now that the Agfa plates are considerably dearer than J Lane plates even if I take shipping cost from the US into consideration. Next time I will order from J Lane.

Today I also received an old English Envoy plate developer tank. It's made of bakelite and it can process four plates with five ounces of developer.

In a few days I expect to get a small lot of Mamiya type J glass holders for my Polaroid 600SE plus a wooden drying rack.

Old 03-12-2019   #104
Nokton48

Welcome to the dry plate fold, Kai. We're a small but very dedicated group. Very cool! I've seen those plates at one of the German dealers. Very tempting but very pricey also. Looking forward to seeing your results. I really like APX100 in 120, still have some in the freezer.

Old 03-24-2019   #105
carbo73

A couple of weeks ago I went to a beautiful ravine near my hometown to practice a little more with my 9x12 J.Lane plates. With these I begin to feel satisfied, even considering that I have still much to learn from LF photography, and even more dry plates. All were developed in trays with safelight and using HC110 and Iford Rapid Fixer.

First one taken with a KW Patent Etui camera, made c. 1929.

Second one was taken with a Bülter & Stammer camera, made probably in the period 1905-1914. This camera was quite dirty when I bought it last year, but appears to work quite well, specially it's Bausch&Lomb Unicum shutter.

Both images "scanned" with a light table and a Nikon D750. Still having problems with my Epson V800 scanner. How do you configure it to scan dry plates?

Old 03-24-2019   #106
Nokton48

These look quite good! Well done

Old 04-03-2019   #107
Kai-san
Filmwaster

I've been stocking up some supplies lately. I've managed to find a few Mamiya type J film/plate holders at a sensible price. From FotoImpex I ordered a nice wood drying rack, good to know that these are available in Europe. It is most likely designed for 4x5, but it looks like I can use it for 6.5x9 as well. If not I shall have to do a small modification.
For archiving the plates I've found an old card index box of the type you may have seen in public libraries. I intend to put a divider down the middle of it so I can stack two rows of plates side by side. I've also ordered some packs of 7x10cm glassine bags to put the plates in.

Old 04-11-2019   #108
carbo73

The last two J.Lane dry plates I used in Colobrers stream, near Sabadell. Both images taken with a 9x12 Ernemann Heag I camera, and developed in plates with HC110.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #109
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Hey guys, how do you decide which is the emulsion side of the plates? I suppose touching the emulsion side is not a good idea, and there is no instructions on the Agfa APX package. I'm not sure I can load these using a red safelight since it is a panchromatic film? Any tips?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #110
carbo73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
Hey guys, how do you decide which is the emulsion side of the plates? I suppose touching the emulsion side is not a good idea, and there is no instructions on the Agfa APX package. I'm not sure I can load these using a red safelight since it is a panchromatic film? Any tips?
Agfa? I've only used J.Lane plates, but they have the same kind of notch on the upper-right side of the emulsion side. You can just feel it with your fingers.