Sensor Replacement Policy 2017
Old 05-15-2017   #1
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Sensor Replacement Policy 2017

Until 15 August 2017 the current policy of free sensor replacement for effected models (M9, M9-P, MM, and M-E) if affected by the corrosion problem continues.

Post 16 August 2017 the above still applies, but with the stipulation that the camera has been purchased new within the past 5 years.

Also post 16 August 2017 there is a new program for cameras purchased more than 5 years ago, where the customer pays a portion of the replacement costs for the sensor replacement (982 euros/ 825 euros plus 19% VAT) with the bonus of a "Free General Overhaul" with a one year warranty.

The upgrade offers now have more attractive terms but are limited to Typ 240 generation cameras.

I had my MM undergo sensor replacement. I sent it in early December last year, was told 8-10 weeks, but it took 12 weeks..

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #2
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,399
Very interesting, Cal. Where did you learn this?

I guess those immediately affected will be second-hand owners and M9 owners who bought more than five years ago. I believe the M-E and MM were introduced five years ago, so those owners will have to pay close attention to their expiration date.

This wil be especailly unfortunate for M9-series sellers with original sensors.

Glad I had mine done last year. I always considered it pretty generous of Leica to fix cameras of second-hand owners, which I am.

John
__________________
tumblr | instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #3
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Very interesting, Cal. Where did you learn this?

I guess those immediately affected will be second-hand owners (completely out of luck) and M9 owners who bought more than five years ago. I believe the M-E and MM were introduced five years ago, so those owners will have to pay close attention to their expiration date.

Glad I had mine done last year. I always considered it pretty generous of Leica to fix cameras of second-hand owners, which I am.

John
John,

I got this info from Leica. If you PM your E-mail I'll forward you the E-mail I received.

Kinda hurry up for people who bought used CCD cameras. The envelope is closing, and the phase out begins.

If you want your sensor replacement for free the time is now. Hurry-up.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,903
Sounds like a reasonable update to the program.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #5
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
John,

I got this info from Leica. If you PM your E-mail I'll forward you the E-mail I received.

Kinda hurry up for people who bought used CCD cameras. The envelope is closing, and the phase out begins.

If you want your sensor replacement for free the time is now. Hurry-up.

Cal
That's alright, I'll wait for the announcement.

I think Leica can expect a flood of cameras for inspection starting now.

John
__________________
tumblr | instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #6
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 51
Posts: 4,946
Well, knowing what Leica isn't something cheap, paying 852 + VAT Euro for sensor replacement and this :

*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:

• Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms
• Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel
• Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial
• Adjustment of the baseplate locking system
• Refurbishment of engravings
• Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate
• Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

seems to be OK.

This should be visible for everyone, I guess:

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-...-camera-models
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #7
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
That's alright, I'll wait for the announcement.

I think Leica can expect a flood of cameras for inspection starting now.

John
John,

Could be a bottleneck in the last minute rush.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #8
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Well, knowing what Leica isn't something cheap, paying 852 + VAT Euro for sensor replacement and this :

*The general overhaul of the Leica M-camera includes the following items:

Cleaning and overhaul of the shutter cocking mechanisms
Cleaning and maintenance/repair of the multifunction wheel
Cleaning of the main switch and shutter speed dial
Adjustment of the baseplate locking system
Refurbishment of engravings
Renewal of the protective film on the baseplate
Maintenance/repair of viewfinder displays

seems to be OK.

This should be visible for everyone, I guess:

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-...-camera-models
Ko-Fe,

Thanks for the link.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #9
BillBingham2
Registered User
 
BillBingham2's Avatar
 
BillBingham2 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ames, Iowa, USA
Posts: 5,393
I think they are missing out on a possible review source. For folks who purchased a camera used they could increase the cost by 50% and support the folks who did not feel used supported at a level befitting the Leica image.

I just don't see a lot of opportunity for independent repair people to make a business out of working on digital M's. My guess is that it would take a lot of capital investment to buy specialized equipment.

B2 (;->
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #10
JMQ
Registered User
 
JMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 796
Thanks Cal. I also received the email from Leica about the new policy earlier today. My 4-year old M9M did not develop the symptoms of the dreaded pox as yet....does anyone know how to induce it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #11
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQ View Post
Thanks Cal. I also received the email from Leica about the new policy earlier today. My 4-year old M9M did not develop the symptoms of the dreaded pox as yet....does anyone know how to induce it?
Jean-Marc,

A humid enviornment will encourage the corrosion.

My sensor on my MM only had a trace. The corrosion was only visible in some files.

Also my MM I got delivery about 5 months from the initial fall release. Might my camera be over 5 years old? I got it late January or early February; shot the camera for two years just downloading onto a computer, and now I think I have been printing for now three years.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

M9 Sensor Replacement 2017
Old 05-15-2017   #12
conyon
Registered User
 
conyon is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 242
M9 Sensor Replacement 2017

Some news on changes to the conditions governing M9 sensor replacement:

http://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-...-camera-models

"From 16 August 2017, and until further notice, we will offer our customers the following new programme for all camera models mentioned above that were purchased longer than five years ago. Here, the customer pays a share of the replacement costs for the affected CCD sensor amounting to 982 euros (825 euros plus 19% VAT). Included in this programme is a free general overhaul* of your Leica M camera and a one year warranty on the same terms as for new products."
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #13
sevres_babylone
Registered User
 
sevres_babylone is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,806
Thank you for posting this. I had been procrastinating because I was using my M9 so much in situations -- wide open or nearly, dim bars -- where the corrosion wasn't noticeable.
__________________
Visit me at Pbase
and at Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #14
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
Thank you for posting this. I had been procrastinating because I was using my M9 so much in situations -- wide open or nearly, dim bars -- where the corrosion wasn't noticeable.
S-B,

Hurry up. Don't loose out on your opportunity.

Best of luck.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #15
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 605
The parties...over..
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #16
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,087
This does not sound good. Basically, Leica is moving users to the M10.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #17
Ranchu
-
 
Ranchu is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,697
You would think they'd replace every sensor that became corroded, or might. You can get a rebel xs for $100 these days.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #18
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 44
Posts: 18,486
So, this will affect used prices on M9 cameras that are over 5 years old?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #19
JMQ
Registered User
 
JMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 796
John, this will absolutely affect all CCD cameras that are over 5 years old and still have the old sensor. I suppose the price for these cameras will drop by the sensor replacement cost or about USD$1000.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #20
tajart
Registered User
 
tajart's Avatar
 
tajart is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: pac nw
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
This does not sound good. Basically, Leica is moving users to the M10.
or to another brand?
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #21
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,399
I guess the question is, at what price would you purchase one, knowing you could face a $1K bill?

Then again, if five years have passed without an issue, can the camera be assumed to be immune? I'm sure Leica has those metrics.
__________________
tumblr | instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #22
JMQ
Registered User
 
JMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I guess the question is, at what price would you purchase one, knowing you could face a $1K bill?

Then again, if five years has passed without an issue, can the camera be assumed to be immune?
It's also the hassle of having to wait 4-5 months in addition to the cost...I don't know about sensors being immune, I thought it's a matter of "when" and not "if"
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #23
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQ View Post
It's also the hassle of having to wait 4-5 months in addition to the cost...I don't know about sensors being immune, I thought it's a matter of "when" and not "if"
I've never heard that it's inevitable. I sure hope not, for our long-term owners here.

John
__________________
tumblr | instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #24
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 44
Posts: 18,486
Yeah, but then again LCDs for the M8 are no longer available and people still buy them for around the same price as a few years ago.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #25
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,530
Are there any cases of the replacement sensors going bad?

Leica M9s in the UK are now around 2000 so if they drop any further it may be cheaper to buy one with a replaced sensor rather than getting a repair.
I must have got my M9 mid 2010 had the sensor replaced June 2016, so maybe if I get another 5 years out of this sensor I should be doing ok!
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #26
Fraser
Registered User
 
Fraser is offline
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,530
Another thought,
Its a weird thing for Leica to announce as surely most of the sensors have been replaced so any that still need to be will be very low numbers I would of thought that the bad press would out weigh the remaining cost of replacements.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #27
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
This will have to create a few M9 bricks unfortunately ... but not too many hopefully.

As someone pointed out the party couldn't last forever.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #28
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMQ View Post
John, this will absolutely affect all CCD cameras that are over 5 years old and still have the old sensor. I suppose the price for these cameras will drop by the sensor replacement cost or about USD$1000.
rofl

industry expert much?
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #29
ferider
Registered User
 
ferider's Avatar
 
ferider is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,232
The easiest way for Leica to clean out the remaining 240 stock.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #30
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 56
Posts: 347
Jean Marc, certainly humidity is the thing that will set off the corrosion. You could accelerate it by wet cleaning it with something hygroscopic I guess but don't make it look too rough. Or you could leave it lensless in your bathroom while you shower.
I think you should send yours in for assessment and let them tell you. My MM sensor took about 4 weeks to get replaced by Leica's repairer in Melbourne, and my two M9s about the same amount of time to be done by Leica Japan. All were done earlier this year.
From the stories here, Leica US is also taking about 4 weeks.
__________________
Peter

Last edited by pyeh : 05-15-2017 at 15:47. Reason: typos
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #31
icebear
Registered User
 
icebear's Avatar
 
icebear is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: just west of the big apple
Posts: 2,717
I have new sensors in my M9 and MM and consequently don't worry.
The replacement of the MM sensor after it was inspected and confirmed it had the corrosion, took 4 business days.
__________________
Klaus
You have to be there !
M9, MM & a bunch of glass, Q

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #32
damonsong
Registered User
 
damonsong is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 117
I think the good news is they will still replace for $1000.
I suspect that might hurt the used value of the M9/MM that have not been replaced. Might be a good gamble for people who wants one, it's not like the sensor will definitely go bad, right?
__________________
leica_dad
YouTube
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #33
icebear
Registered User
 
icebear's Avatar
 
icebear is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: just west of the big apple
Posts: 2,717
My rough estimate ... there is a 98.56% chance that the sensor will go bad.
The remaining 1.44% are accounting for shelf queens in a climate controled cabinet with less than 20% humidity.
As I said though, ... a rough estimate
__________________
Klaus
You have to be there !
M9, MM & a bunch of glass, Q

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #34
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonsong View Post
it's not like the sensor will definitely go bad, right?
No, it will go bad. The majority of people here have had theirs replaced. Some people just don't notice because it doesn't show so much when shooting wide open snaps of cats.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #35
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
No, it will go bad. The majority of people here have had theirs replaced. Some people just don't notice because it doesn't show so much when shooting wide open snaps of cats.

That's a little dismissive Huss... in many ways the cat shooters have kept that company afloat.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #36
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's a little dismissive Huss... in many ways the cat shooters have kept that company afloat.
Let's be honest Keith. They've kept the entire digital industry afloat.



(Leicas are actually not so good for cat pics. My D750 is awesome for that!)
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #37
damonsong
Registered User
 
damonsong is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 117
All the cat talks reminds me of a funny awkward story.

I once had 3 M3s, bought them in a package deal for lenses and had to sell some.
A Leica collector contacted me to view the M3s. During our meeting we started to talk about different lenses, and he mentioned the noctilux. I said I haven't bought one because of the size, I shoot leica because they are compact and I do carry around my gears, it's not like I'm just at home shooting cats. Then he was quiet, after a few seconds he said "well... I do shoot lots of cats at home...". The situation became very awkward from that point on.
__________________
leica_dad
YouTube
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #38
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Let's be honest Keith. They've kept the entire digital industry afloat.



(Leicas are actually not so good for cat pics. My D750 is awesome for that!)
True Huss yes ... lol
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #39
JMQ
Registered User
 
JMQ is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyeh View Post
Jean Marc, certainly humidity is the thing that will set off the corrosion. You could accelerate it by wet cleaning it with something hygroscopic I guess but don't make it look too rough. Or you could leave it lensless in your bathroom while you shower.
I think you should send yours in for assessment and let them tell you. My MM sensor took about 4 weeks to get replaced by Leica's repairer in Melbourne, and my two M9s about the same amount of time to be done by Leica Japan. All were done earlier this year.
From the stories here, Leica US is also taking about 4 weeks.
Thanks Pete...funny, I was thinking of doing exactly that....
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017   #40
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,684
I have a low mileage CCD MM with no issues so far but understand it is inevitable. So I can choose to "upgrade" to a CMOS MM now or later when the problem is confirmed?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 19:00.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.