Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 1 Week Ago   #481
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Miller View Post
I suspect that since the CCD sensor in question is not used in current production cameras it is likely a special order item and requires a change in the production process to manufacture. So only available in batches and the batches are produced on an infrequent basis.
Yeah, these must be very small runs for a sensor fabricator.

It does not bode well for the folks with < 5 year old cameras that corrode a year or two or three from now.

John

Old 1 Week Ago   #482
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
... and it is for free. I can wait.
Knowingly selling cameras with defective sensors, then replacing them and having them out of their owner's hands for months is not exactly 'free'.

Old 1 Week Ago   #483
Luke_Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It does not bode well for the folks with < 5 year old cameras that corrode a year or two or three from now.
True, and I would add that the biggest losers in the sensor corrosion issue will most likely be those whose sensors didn't experience corrosion. Since many/most believe that all of them will eventually corrode, only those with Leica documented "corrosion proof" sensors will be able to get fair market value at sale time.

Old 1 Week Ago   #484
DwF

John and Luke,

I thought that for sure I would be in that group who would find corrosion after the "deadline". So I went back for a third check and really looked. I had been mainly checking the "sky area", the upper part of images where sky was. Of course I was shooting directly into clear sky for the purpose of checking. When I finally found the spots, they appeared on the lower left on the frame and then I found others when I really magnified. I sent the cropped images to Dave at Leica repair, he confirmed and I was quite relieved to have found corrosion!

David

Old 1 Week Ago   #485
raid
Dad Photographer

I never found any signs of corrosion myself, but I sent my M9 to NJ Leica. They affirmed that the sensor was damaged.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 1 Week Ago   #486
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
John and Luke,

I thought that for sure I would be in that group who would find corrosion after the "deadline". So I went back for a third check and really looked. I had been mainly checking the "sky area", the upper part of images where sky was. Of course I was shooting directly into clear sky for the purpose of checking. When I finally found the spots, they appeared on the lower left on the frame and then I found others when I really magnified. I sent the cropped images to Dave at Leica repair, he confirmed and I was quite relieved to have found corrosion!

David
David,

It is interesting to know that indications of sensor corrosion can be elusive. I have an Epson 7800 and I use Piezography to print up to 20x30's. I learned from printing that even with my EIZO dimmed down to 80 Lux in a darkened room that I could print what I couldn't see on my EIZO because more detail than displayed was in the print.

Also know that the blemishes were small, and even though when visible were always in the same areas (rather small amount of spotting), they didn't always appear. In other words while these artifacts were always in the same place their occurance seemed rather random.

My EIZO only displays a image size that is about a 13x19, but a 20x30 is a lot more magnification. Small defects and artifacts become very evident on large prints. A display is not the best way to detect corrosion.

Cal

Old 1 Week Ago   #487
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
John and Luke,

David
It's likely the first time we have found ourselves actually hoping for a camera defect.

Like most natural phenomena, corrosion is probably well underway before it can be perceived by the human eye and clear sky test. Presumably, Leica uses a scope or some other instrument that is more sophisticated than our eyes.

John