Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Catherine Deneuve "detests" selfies
Old 05-10-2015   #1
easyrider
Photo addict

Catherine Deneuve "detests" selfies

“It’s wonderful to be able to take photographs, but I detest selfies ... taking photographs of yourself all the time, showing off on FaceTime ... it makes everything banal. It’s terrible, this notion that we’re always in the process of looking at ourselves doing something and not living.” (Catherine Deneuve in an interview with the Guardian)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...P=share_btn_fb

Old 05-10-2015   #2
Finglas

Aged poorly ??? NO, it's what on the inside that counts.
Catherine Deneuve always has this and plenty more to spare.
Vive la différence

Old 05-10-2015   #3
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
“It’s wonderful to be able to take photographs, but I detest selfies ... taking photographs of yourself all the time, showing off on FaceTime ... it makes everything banal. It’s terrible, this notion that we’re always in the process of looking at ourselves doing something and not living.” (Catherine Deneuve in an interview with the Guardian)

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...P=share_btn_fb
I can't say that I disagree with her - self-absorption and narcissism have reached epidemic levels in what passes for western culture - and it has become beyond obnoxious.

Old 05-10-2015   #4
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
I can't say that I disagree with her - self-absorption and narcissism have reached epidemic levels in what passes for western culture - and it has become beyond obnoxious.
YES. It's sickening.
I went rollerskating a month ago. Saw a guy video-selfieing as he skated. Holding the cameraphone at arms length, at various angles, as he was going around and around the rink. He seriously kept this up for four or five consecutive laps, as he mugged for himself. I can't imagine the thought process. How could he have had zero shame or embarrassment? People who like themselves so much are detestable! The 'millennials' are a different breed. I don't like them, said the crotchety old man of 47....

Old 05-10-2015   #5
seakayaker1

Selfies don't bother me since I am not on Facebook or any other social media, except a few photograph sites. If people like it and it makes them happy, then go for it.

I did enjoy her quote in the article, “I find the mobile telephone very useful, but I turn if off when necessary. I don’t dine with my mobile with me,” and I also practice it to some degree when out dining, I turn mine off but it is still with me. A phone appears as a permanent appendage, never leaving their hand, on many individuals. Walking, sitting, standing, eating, attending meetings, glancing and reading while in conversation with others. Like multi-tasking is a desired trait 24 by 7.

Hope she has many more films in her career!

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 05-10-2015   #6
Steve Bellayr

I, too, detest selfies. Catherine Deneuve in that photo is 71. Not too shabby.

Old 05-10-2015   #7
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
She has not aged Gracefully as other People in her similar age / 70's...
Are you serious, Helen ?

I met her by chance some years ago in the street. I can vouch that there are lots of women her age out there who would sign a blank check to age as "not gracefully" as she's doing...

As for selfies... a teenagers' (or teenage minded adults') street attitude trend like many others we've got already. I guess something else will come soon, which will send selfies to the attic.

Old 05-10-2015   #8
NY_Dan

I saw CD in a French movie about 5 years ago and she was great. I agree with her, cellphone selfies are tres déclassé!

Old 05-10-2015   #9
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
well kind of... I am not so heavy serious in what i wrote more find it strange

I saw her at an event a number of years ago at the Metropolitan
Very Puffy swollen limbs and face ... not air brushed Magazine material we see on Covers and inside Stories

I just find it rather amusing, She can put down 'selfies'
but here is a woman who has her Portrait/ 'self' portrait on every major publication for the last 50 something years...
mega advertising campaigns of her face for Chanel #5
and finds 'selfies' and people that take them banal
A bit over critica of her ... I mean people have had to look at her for decades and she certainly prospered not only from movies but from photographs of 'her', a selfie on some level if you know what I mean
Let People have their Fun ....

To me 'selfies' are no big deal... I rarely see them and if I do I may giggle or change the viewing, thats all
She's been - and still is - a great actress.

Moreover, she's a clever and free woman, who never let it down when it came to women's causes, in general.

About her love for Botox : that's her own business with her own flesh... and has nothing to do with selfies. Let's not confuse everything. Aesthetics surgery is a deluxe stuff, selfies are pure junk.

Now we could discuss the resp. merits of her vs. some American "stars" (earning fifty+ times what she does), talent and intelligence wise... that could be really fun...

Old 05-10-2015   #10
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
I, too, detest selfies. Catherine Deneuve in that photo is 71. Not too shabby.
How can we really detest selfies when in our culture the self-portrait in a mirror with a film camera is (or used to be) in vogue?

I hope I can look that good at 71. Not to admit my true age but I'm now less than 10 years behind her.

Old 05-10-2015   #11
Huss

Catherine Deneuve must not like Vivian Maier then.

Old 05-10-2015   #12
Khunyapan

Had she been born about 50 years later, I don't have any doubt in my mind she would be taking selfies like the rest of society.

Live and let live people..

My Flickr

Old 05-10-2015   #13
NY_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Catherine Deneuve must not like Vivian Maier then.
A photographer/artist/writer shooting/painting/sculpting/writing a self portrait is not to be confused with the other.

Her other point was that too many people are famous for being famous without having accomplished anything. Many younger people of substance agree with her on both points.

Old 05-10-2015   #14
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

We all should age so poorly. Although I have to say that at 70, my wife looks better, and without the aid of surgery or Botox.

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 05-10-2015   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Dan View Post
A photographer/artist/writer shooting/painting/sculpting/writing a self portrait is not to be confused with the other.
Ms Maier took hundreds of selfies. The term just did not exist back then.

So.. because an 'artist' does it, it is ok? But if a civilian does it, it's abhorrent?

p.s. I think Vivian Maier's work rocks. And I liked Deneuve's performance in "The Hunger"...

Old 05-10-2015   #16
lukitas
second hand noob

When I learned to draw, I was the cheapest model around, so I spent quite some time with a mirror next to the easel. I got used to looking at myself. An exercise.

Not quite narcissistic enough to envisage filming myself while being interesting.

And I am still in love with Madame Deneuve.

And my mom looks better yet.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 05-10-2015   #17
Mcary

To me selfies and self portraits are completely different while the former generally consist of bombarding social media with daily barrage of crappy poorly lit and composed crap-shots, the later can be works of art that equal any photographs for which the photographer and subject are separate individuals.

Personally I really like the work of Austrian photographer Flora P as I find both the reportage and self-nudes she shots to be both creative and of high quality think she has a good eye for composition color and lighting.
http://www.florap.com/ Some section NSFW(nudity)

Old 05-10-2015   #18
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
How can we really detest selfies when in our culture the self-portrait in a mirror with a film camera is (or used to be) in vogue?

I hope I can look that good at 71. Not to admit my true age but I'm now less than 10 years behind her.

Pretty much end of thread right here!

Old 05-10-2015   #19
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Ms Maier took hundreds of selfies. The term just did not exist back then.

No, she didn't, and it's not just that the term did not exist back then, it's that the narcissistic self absorption which defines what we now know as the "selfie" did not exist back then, at least for most people.
The thing that Deneuve is lamenting is the ATTITUDE which drives what we know as "selfies". It is not the pictures themselves. A self portrait is quite distinct from a magazine portrait, which, in turn, is quite distinct from a "selfie".
The fact that Vivian Maier took photographs of herself in no way means those were what we now know as "selfies". It is the attitude which Deneuve is talking about, not the image itself, and the attitude of the selfie addict is 180 degrees opposed to the attitude Vivian Maier had when she worked out her self portraits. The thing we know as a selfie is something which generally goes immediately on Facebook, spammed to a hundred 'friends' , or sent from a phone to everyone on its contact list, and cries "look at me eating lunch", or "look at me standing next to this alcoholic bit player from some stupid movie" "just please, please look at me just once more today, validate me. I will send you a photo of me and my lunch tomorrow, too".
Vivian Maier took photographs, apparently, because she enjoyed the process, the mental challenge. She did not even show them to anyone, most of them she did not even develop. Not "selfies", then.
The personality differences between the kind of person who continually sprays "selfies" at every helpless acquaintance, and the kind of person, like Vivian Maier who takes a lot of self portraits for completely different reasons, that is what Deneuve is talking about.
And if someone is lucky enough to be as beautiful as Catherine Deneuve once was, people will be begging to photograph them for magazine covers, so that is a completely different situation as well.
Yes, whether it is the obnoxious, ubiquitous "selfie", or a magazine cover, or a carefully considered photographic self portrait, all three of those consist of an image of a person, but they are very different things.
And, yes, we all can "enjoy" doing stupid things, but that doesn't make them any less stupid. Deneuve was just pointing that out.
I recently re-watched the remastered "Umbrellas of Cherbourg", so that might account for my willingness to cut her a lot of slack.

Old 05-10-2015   #20
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
No, she didn't, and it's not just that the term did not exist back then, it's that the narcissistic self absorption which defines what we now know as the "selfie" did not exist back then, at least for most people.
The thing that Deneuve is lamenting is the ATTITUDE which drives what we know as "selfies". It is not the pictures themselves. A self portrait is quite distinct from a magazine portrait, which, in turn, is quite distinct from a "selfie".
The fact that Vivian Maier took photographs of herself in no way means those were what we now know as "selfies". It is the attitude which Deneuve is talking about, not the image itself, and the attitude of the selfie addict is 180 degrees opposed to the attitude Vivian Maier had when she worked out her self portraits. The thing we know as a selfie is something which generally goes immediately on Facebook, spammed to a hundred 'friends' , or sent from a phone to everyone on its contact list, and cries "look at me eating lunch", or "look at me standing next to this alcoholic bit player from some stupid movie" "just please, please look at me just once more today, validate me. I will send you a photo of me and my lunch tomorrow, too".
Vivian Maier took photographs, apparently, because she enjoyed the process, the mental challenge. She did not even show them to anyone, most of them she did not even develop. Not "selfies", then.
The personality differences between the kind of person who continually sprays "selfies" at every helpless acquaintance, and the kind of person, like Vivian Maier who takes a lot of self portraits for completely different reasons, that is what Deneuve is talking about.
And if someone is lucky enough to be as beautiful as Catherine Deneuve once was, people will be begging to photograph them for magazine covers, so that is a completely different situation as well.
Yes, whether it is the obnoxious, ubiquitous "selfie", or a magazine cover, or a carefully considered photographic self portrait, all three of those consist of an image of a person, but they are very different things.
And, yes, we all can "enjoy" doing stupid things, but that doesn't make them any less stupid. Deneuve was just pointing that out.
I recently re-watched the remastered "Umbrellas of Cherbourg", so that might account for my willingness to cut her a lot of slack.
our generation needs to 'chill out' a little and accept that we have had our time. Let the younger generation have theirs. Is it such a big deal?
Yep, times and attitudes change.

Old 05-10-2015   #21
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
our generation needs to 'chill out' a little and accept that we have had our time. Let the younger generation have theirs. Is it such a big deal?
... it seems a bit unfair though ... this lot get mobile phones and selfie-sticks to play with, when the coolest thing in my day was a Rubik's cube or some Clackers

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-10-2015   #22
Sparrow

Quote:
I do LOVE her....She was such a Beauty
I suppose there is some Truth to it but if it makes Someone Happy
then why rain on their parade be it a Selfie or a Portrait

Unfortunately she has 'aged' rather poorly...perhaps Catherine is no longer into being photographed by the World's Top photographers and not see the lure and Fun of 'selfies'

... yes, I felt compeled to switch my affections to Kristin Scott Thomas some years ago ... and even though she had that dreadful haircut last year she keeps the aloof-beauty award in my book

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-11-2015   #23
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
And, with them, cultures rise and fall. Banal is banal forever.

Old 05-11-2015   #24
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

pffffft .... she's just got her knickers in a twist because she can't figure out how to use instagram!

Old 05-11-2015   #25
daveleo
what?

Ms Deneuve is, and always has been, stunning. Perfectly beautiful, and I have always enjoyed her work.

I agree with whatever she says.

Old 05-11-2015   #26
pete hogan

You have to be careful at 71 not to complain too much.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 05-11-2015   #27
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
We all should age so poorly. Although I have to say that at 70, my wife looks better, and without the aid of surgery or Botox.
Attaboy!!!

My Flickr

Old 05-11-2015   #28
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
And, with them, cultures rise and fall. Banal is banal forever.
Very well said.

My Flickr

Old 05-11-2015   #29
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Mostly don't make that little grunt when rising from, or sitting down on, a sofa.
... or fart when putting ones' socks on

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-11-2015   #30
jsrockit

I think it's kind of lame to see selfies of someone's face over and over. However, I get why tourists take selfies... it's annoying to have to find someone else to take your picture in front of whatever it is they feel they need a picture in front of.

Old 05-11-2015   #31
codester80
A Touch of Light

Selfies are a validation tool. Nothing more. Look at me in front of Niagara Falls; look at me at the Taj Mahal; look at me eating this expensive sushi; look at me being hip at the latest club; look at me hanging out with X; look at me, look at me, look at me. Selfies are a visual record of how cool someone is and proves they're embracing Carpe Diem to all their friends, family, and anyone else they care to spam with their obnoxious photos.
Some aboriginal cultures feared photography because they thought it stole your soul. Now it seems people fear not being photographed because they would have no soul at all.
I'll go crawl back into my shell under a rock.

Old 05-11-2015   #32
kuuan
loves old lenses

Trying to project a favorable image of oneself is rather normal, selfies and being able to immediately post them on social sites facilitates that common human trait. It makes many people happy, they are not, or at least not too crossly, harming anybody and they are having fun. Let them have it

Using expensive or expensive looking dress, accessories, cars, gadgets, or name dropping asf. asf. are all driven by the same idea. I am very critical of this focus on outer appearances in case someone identifies with them which typically entails pride and putting others down. In essence I don't see that being different to the rather playful and light spirited selfie culture which not necessarily is that exclusive and possibly more truthful.

Old 05-11-2015   #33
Coopersounds

whilst i don't take selfies, and prefer not to look at them, some people need that self validation or experience.
But the trend of criticizing peoples appearance on this thread is sad.
Each one of us is much more than our flesh, cameras, clothes, houses etc.
To not see that is to not experience life in a complete way IMO.

Old 05-12-2015   #34
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.

I watched a particular guy around the Sydney Opera House once for about half hour since we were walking in the same direction and making similar progress. I was out for a relaxing stroll taking photos of the people and enjoying the scenery and so was he it seemed but he had his back to the view and using a selfy stick to catch his rather forced looking smile with the scene he was supposedly enjoying over his shoulder. It was an awkward thing to watch this guy looking around for the next location only to take an awkward looking, forced-happy selfy about ten feet from the previous shot. It was like he was a contestant on a weird game show where he had to take as many selfies as he could from different locations in the allotted time. I remember feeling a bit sad for him because it seemed that the very act of him trying to capture his experience was preventing him from having the experience.
They should call that the "Schrodinger's selfy".