Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

really?
Old 08-30-2014   #1
back alley
IMAGES

really?

i'm strolling through the outdoor farmers market this morning and i pass a tent with photos for sale…i hobble over to take a closer look…the framing was interesting, prints bonded to metal with bent edges to add some distance form wall to frame when hung.
the prints themselves were nice…well executed, printed etc…

i looked at the photographer's written material, a short who am i and why do i do this statement…this is where it got very interesting for me.
one of the things he said about himself was his ability to convey something different/unique in his work…
not really! bike against a wall, old trucks…nothing unique here…nice images but not very different from what many folks shoot.

what was different was that he was offering these for sale and seemed that he was full of confidence about his endevour!

to be honest, my stuff is at least on par with his but mine isn't displayed for sale at the market.
so what is the difference between the 2 of us?
i'm sure many members here are in the same situation…creators of good images but not offering them up for sale, not seeing them as unique or different…

is this guy just arrogant or maybe a good judge of what people will buy?

Old 08-30-2014   #2
burancap

Reminds me of some fleeting past comment by Jesse James, of motorcycle fabrication fame. He said something like: "people just love to pay"
It was not so much what he said, but how he said it. There was that immediate *click* that he was absolutely correct and knew it and, of course, was confident enough in his product to say it.

Old 08-30-2014   #3
YYV_146

If he's selling, then he's a good judge

I don't see what I do as being different from other photographers (because it's not), but as an extension of certain photographic cultures. That is, I am making contributions to a tradition which also happens to have personal value.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 08-30-2014   #4
mfogiel

Most likely you are both, just like the rest of us, victims of overconfidence.

Old 08-30-2014   #5
back alley
IMAGES

no problem…

i was struck at how he sees his stuff as unique...

Old 08-30-2014   #6
walnuts

Don't worry, I'm sure someone thinks the same about you.

Old 08-30-2014   #7
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure someone thinks the same about you.
the difference is i am not advertising myself as unique...

Old 08-30-2014   #8
daveleo
what?

Extremely extremely few 2D still photos are unique. IMO everything in this arena has been done, done well, done very well a thousand times over.
This guy's opinion of his (?) own work is his opinion and that's all it is. My guess is that it expresses his personal vision well, so he believes that makes his work "unique". Okay, let him call it whatever he desires. It is what it is.

When you see something truly unique, unless you have a very open mind and give it the time it deserves to sink in, you probably won't like it.

Old 08-30-2014   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The only judgement will be how many pictures this "farmer" do actually sell.

We have gallery tour every year around Milton, very gifted artist shows their paintings, sculpture and crafts.
Last time I bumped into couple of photogs showing their prints at small community center, together with traditional artist. Photos were very amateurish, comparing to what I have.
But they made it to be accepted and displayed, while I was just visiting...

Old 08-30-2014   #10
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
We all see things differently
…very true.

sometimes i look at my stuff and i think i'm pretty good.
other times i look and see just plain crap.

Old 08-30-2014   #11
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Talent is nice, but brass will take you further. I don't know how many folks I've come across with great talent but no idea of how to promote themselves. The hype your photographer put out will probably sell a couple of pix just because some know nothing buys in.

Old 08-30-2014   #12
back alley
IMAGES

..with great talent but no idea of how to promote themselves…

that would be me…

Old 08-30-2014   #13
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
Talent is nice, but brass will take you further. I don't know how many folks I've come across with great talent but no idea of how to promote themselves. The hype your photographer put out will probably sell a couple of pix just because some know nothing buys in.
oh yeah, this guy was taking names and email addresses so he could invite those interested to his next 'show'...

Old 08-30-2014   #14
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
...... i'm sure many members here are in the same situation…creators of good images but not offering them up for sale, not seeing them as unique or different… ......
Could it be that some of us simply refuse to evaluate the merits of our photography with what people are willing to pay for it? I know that if I were to photograph to please other people instead of what I feel needs to be done, there would be absolutely no relationship between that work and what I currently do.

Using sales as the metric, Thomas Kincade "painter of light" was the greatest artist of all time.

Last edited by Bob Michaels : 08-30-2014 at 14:50. Reason: added Thomas Kincade reference

Old 08-30-2014   #15
icebear

Attitude makes all the difference ... .

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 08-30-2014   #16
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

The difference is he went out and did it.

An old joke about photography is that the way to make a small fortune as a photographer is to start out with a large fortune.
Photographers who make money from their work consistently spend a lot of time on marketing and business...and surprisingly little on actually photographing.
I've heard almost every sucessful photographer who talks of this subject say the same thing.

Quote:
i'm strolling through the outdoor farmers market this morning and i pass a tent with photos for sale…i hobble over to take a closer look…the framing was interesting, prints bonded to metal with bent edges to add some distance form wall to frame when hung.
the prints themselves were nice…well executed, printed etc…

i looked at the photographer's written material, a short who am i and why do i do this statement…this is where it got very interesting for me.
one of the things he said about himself was his ability to convey something different/unique in his work…
not really! bike against a wall, old trucks…nothing unique here…nice images but not very different from what many folks shoot.

what was different was that he was offering these for sale and seemed that he was full of confidence about his endevour!

to be honest, my stuff is at least on par with his but mine isn't displayed for sale at the market.
so what is the difference between the 2 of us?
i'm sure many members here are in the same situation…creators of good images but not offering them up for sale, not seeing them as unique or different…

is this guy just arrogant or maybe a good judge of what people will buy?

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 08-30-2014   #17
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

If my photography were unique, I'd only have one photograph...

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 08-30-2014   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Ever noticed the way McDonalds tell us how fantastic their food tastes ... but in reality it's just soggy, greasy tasteless crap ...

... that people queue up to buy none the less!

Old 08-30-2014   #19
bobbyrab

Having them for sale doesn't mean he sells many. I always think photographic prints from unknowns are a difficult sell.
I'm 52 and I've been in a great many peoples homes, and prints that are not personal to the owners are a rare beast, I've come across photographs, but it's surprising how often they are name photographers, partly because they're great images, but I guess having a value would also be a consideration. Photographs seem to need more of a provenance than paintings for example.

Old 08-30-2014   #20
bobbyrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Ever noticed the way McDonalds tell us how fantastic their food tastes ... but in reality it's just soggy, greasy tasteless crap ...

... that people queue up to buy none the less!
I love a McDonalds, in moderation what's not to like?

Old 08-30-2014   #21
totifoto

I think he just see´s his glass as half full.......

Old 08-30-2014   #22
Corran

Really? is right!

It sounds like you are just another photographer thinking/saying "I can do that just as well." This toxic culture of looking down at others' work is really sad. You might be right! But that doesn't really matter does it? Make photographs, do what you will with them (display them, sell them, or don't, whatever), and let others do the same.

Of course there is a time and place for critique and such. Don't get me wrong. I just don't get this attitude. Reminds me of something a friend of mine posted yesterday:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10626668_10152467285263649_4839996478477026449_n.jpg (17.2 KB, 52 views)

Old 08-30-2014   #23
Darshan

Quote:
no problem…

He exudes confidence which people love, I think it will definitely help him with the sale. He certainly knows how to run a "business". As far as whose photos are better/unique - only a viewer can decide. Have him post his photos here, I am sure some fine RFF folks will love to take a crack at it.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 08-30-2014   #24
thegman

Quote:
the difference is i am not advertising myself as unique...
In advertising art though, you can't really advertise your stuff as being generic and much the same as everybody elses' (although inside, we can admit it to ourselves).

Buy a few frames, get a few prints done, worst thing that can happen is you don't sell them.

Old 08-30-2014   #25
eric rose
ummmmm, filmmmm

This guy is unique because he has the balls to get out there and hang his flag. If you want to sell your stuff or yourself you have to be confident in both yourself and your product. The term "unique" in this situation is just marketing fluff and is taken as such by any educated consumer.

http://www.ericrose.com

http://yourbaddog.com

Old 08-30-2014   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Success in any area in life has a lot to do with confidence and a belief in your own ability, right or wrong. Worrying about this sort of thing will only cause you unneccessary frustration Joe.

Old 08-30-2014   #27
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Really? is right!

It sounds like you are just another photographer thinking/saying "I can do that just as well." This toxic culture of looking down at others' work is really sad. You might be right! But that doesn't really matter does it? Make photographs, do what you will with them (display them, sell them, or don't, whatever), and let others do the same.

Of course there is a time and place for critique and such. Don't get me wrong. I just don't get this attitude. Reminds me of something a friend of mine posted yesterday:
you accuse me of being judgemental...as you judge me w/o a clue as to what's in my heart.

Old 08-30-2014   #28
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Success in any area in life has a lot to do with confidence and a belief in your own ability, right or wrong. Worrying about this sort of thing will only cause you unneccessary frustration Joe.
i'm not worrying about any of this...it's a curiosity to me.

Old 08-30-2014   #29
Corran

Quote:
you accuse me of being judgemental...as you judge me w/o a clue as to what's in my heart.
I disagree...I did not judge you. I made a generalized statement about photographers looking down at others, especially in the realm of selling their work. Take that as you will.

Old 08-30-2014   #30
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I disagree...I did not judge you. I made a generalized statement about photographers looking down at others, especially in the realm of selling their work. Take that as you will.

oh really?!

Old 08-30-2014   #31
Corran

you (yo͞o)
2. used to refer to any person in general.

Sorry, I meant the generalized "you" after the first, as in "another photographer."

Old 08-30-2014   #32
back alley
IMAGES

'some' people should have the balls to just accept responsibility for their words and deeds…not speaking of anyone in particular…

Old 08-30-2014   #33
Corran

Whatever...I'll leave.

Old 08-30-2014   #34
twopointeight

How much were these prints selling for?

Old 08-30-2014   #35
back alley
IMAGES

unframed, not mounted 8x10 were $25.
larger prints, mounted on metal were $165/ various...

Old 08-30-2014   #36
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

$165?? At least he isn't running the craft down.

Old 08-30-2014   #37
Graham Line

Quote:
no problem…

You can hardly expect him to put up a sign saying "You can buy this stuff anywhere, and probably for less."

Though that might be a good hook for a Saturday market kind of thing.

My Flickr

You can join Visionless Hacks

I've been forty years discovering that the queen of all colors is black. - Henri Matisse

Old 08-30-2014   #38
twopointeight

You get what you pay for including a little generic artist hype. Ideally there would be several photographers selling work in the same marketplace which may or may not improve the quality of what is being offered regardless of the hype.

Old 08-31-2014   #39
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Line View Post
You can hardly expect him to put up a sign saying "You can buy this stuff anywhere, and probably for less."

Though that might be a good hook for a Saturday market kind of thing.
... now that would get one noticed Joe!

I'm with Keith though ... it's mostly about not noticing the emperors new cloths, and aquiring a taste for big macs

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 08-31-2014   #40
pakeha

Only the buyers can answer your question
and as for him possibly being arrogant - well you need to get to know him to find out..