Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

...and we catch hell over the cost of our Leica cameras
Old 12-30-2013   #1
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Talking ...and we catch hell over the cost of our Leica cameras

I wonder what the Leica haters would have to say about the price of this camera bag?
http://www.ghurka.com/rangefinder-le...ag-khaki-twill

Old 12-30-2013   #2
swoop

That is a classy looking bag.

Old 12-30-2013   #3
farlymac
PF McFarland

It's perfect! Costs darn near as much as the camera.

PF

ps: I don't hate Leica, I just wish I could afford one.

Old 12-30-2013   #4
hugivza

I work above an upmarket shopping mall in Singapore, and regretfully the cost of the bag shown pales into insignificance with the Louis Vuitton, Goyard, Hermes and others available below. If I consider the up market watch stores as well, it is possible to spend more than I make in a year in less than an hour without any pain save that from the domestic financial controller. In the interim, I will stick with my 20+ year old Billingham. Have a great New Year.

Old 12-30-2013   #5
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Kind of looks like an old fishing tackle bag.

Phil Forrest

Old 12-30-2013   #6
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugivza View Post
I work above an upmarket shopping mall in Singapore, and regretfully the cost of the bag shown pales into insignificance with the Louis Vuitton, Goyard, Hermes and others available below.
Yeah, but none of those brands make a camera bag. Someone should get on that. I had the idea awhile back of buying a knockoff Louis Vuitton bag and cutting the leather to reskin a Leica. It would be so damn classy you'd need a top hat and a monocle to use.

Old 12-30-2013   #7
Gary Sandhu

...yeah, but it's free shipping !!
:-)

Old 12-30-2013   #8
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
Yeah, but none of those brands make a camera bag. Someone should get on that. I had the idea awhile back of buying a knockoff Louis Vuitton bag and cutting the leather to reskin a Leica. It would be so damn classy you'd need a top hat and a monocle to use.
Hermès made one as part of the limited-edition-within-a-limited-edition M9-P set:

BTW, Hermès used to be a major shareholder in Leica, because its CEO Jean-Louis Dumas was an aficionado.

Also, Louis Vuitton makes a black canvas camera bag for a mere $3,500:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#/...RAPHITE-N58027

Ghurka is a good brand, and they are made in Connecticut again after a made-in-China interval. I carry a No. 17 Satchel to work and it has enough room for a laptop, a Leica and assortment of lenses.

Old 12-30-2013   #9
Mr_Flibble

A man could have a good time in Vegas with that kind of money.

Old 12-30-2013   #10
mfogiel

It looks more like a Hasselblad bag, with all these square holes inside. Too big for a couple of rangefinders. Prefer my Fogg bags.

Old 12-30-2013   #11
Film dino
David Chong

I'm sorry, but I think it's awful.

Old 12-30-2013   #12
35mmdelux
#Represent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
A man could have a good time in Vegas with that kind of money.
Yeah, with some company....at least the strap costs a mere $225.

Old 12-30-2013   #13
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
It looks more like a Hasselblad bag, with all these square holes inside. Too big for a couple of rangefinders. Prefer my Fogg bags.
It should come bundled with an H5D.

Old 12-31-2013   #14
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Plenty of good reasons to invest in it:

1) It will obviously make you take better pictures (at least of the bag itself) while also getting you much admiration at exhibition openings and coctail parties
2) If you come across some robbers while doing street, they'll trow your chrome Leica MP a la carte out and run away with the bag only
3) When you get tired of it (GAS applies to bags too..), your wife will love to take over (since it looks more like a beauty case than a camera bag)

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 12-31-2013   #15
zuiko85

Never came across that name brand before so not sure how much Veblen value it would have on the street. The design does not look too practical to me at least.

Just bought a small camera bag at a local Goodwill for $1.50

Just the right size and padding for my Pen F, 3 lenses , a couple rolls of film and a Gossen Pilot.

I'm so cheap I think any bag over $30 is an extravgance!

Old 12-31-2013   #16
Spanik

Quote:
Hermès made one as part of the limited-edition-within-a-limited-edition M9-P set:
Shouldn't the white gloves in that set be on top of the box instead of at the bottom?

Old 12-31-2013   #17
Bill Clark

Years ago I knew a lady who carried Hasselblad stuff. Once she was on assignment making photos in New York and she carried one camera
in a lined grocery bag. She believed that a rich looking bag invites thieves.

Old 12-31-2013   #18
CNNY

I hate double-deep bags like this. I carry a 4x5 in a bag that is less bulky than this. Besides, I think this is one really ugly. I think the same of most of the $7000 fashion bags also, so heck, what do I know?

Old 12-31-2013   #19
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I honestly think it looks OK but it is out of my price range.
What I think is a bit odd: the bag is named "Rangefinder No. 57" but they've decided to put some DSLR in it...
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-31-2013   #20
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post

BTW, Hermès used to be a major shareholder in Leica, because its CEO Jean-Louis Dumas was an aficionado.

Also, Louis Vuitton makes a black canvas camera bag for a mere $3,500:
http://www.louisvuitton.com/front/#/...RAPHITE-N58027

Ghurka is a good brand, and they are made in Connecticut again after a made-in-China interval. I carry a No. 17 Satchel to work and it has enough room for a laptop, a Leica and assortment of lenses.
Camera bags of these types are not about carrying or protecting the cameras inside them. They are about elitism, arrogance and ego - along with a healthy dose of plain old stupidity.

I have to wonder why they do not come with a Hermes/Leica orange leather vest with block lettering that proclaims "I AM HIDEOUSLY WEALTHY - PLEASE ROB ME OF THE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF CAMERAS IN MY LOUIS VITTON BAG."

Old 12-31-2013   #21
koven

For the man who has everything

Old 12-31-2013   #22
Pete B

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
For the man who has everything
..but self esteem
Pete

Old 12-31-2013   #23
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
I think that you've just defined a new luxury product!
QUICK: Get the market research team on this!

Old 12-31-2013   #24
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
"I AM HIDEOUSLY WEALTHY - PLEASE ROB ME OF THE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF CAMERAS IN MY LOUIS VITTON BAG."
This is exactly why I put my cameras in a rucksack. Just an ordinary cheap one. I don't want to look like I might have something worth stealing... which in some of the places I go is an advantage.

On the other hand, let's be realistic. Some rich guy's wife is looking for a present, so she's buys one of these for her camera loving spouse... I don't really care what they do with their money. People should spend it how they want to.

John

Old 01-01-2014   #25
Addy101

A lot of reversed snobbery here.... People don't just buy these kind of bags because of "elitism, arrogance and ego" - a lot of people buy these because they want the best of the best in luxury items. If you think "There's a lot of $20 bags on eBay that look much better" to you, by all means, go out and order one of those. However the "probably last longer, as well" remark is just snobbery as it isn't based on anything - also, that is not what these bags are all about.

A lot of what is said here can be said about Leica....

Old 01-01-2014   #26
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
A lot of reversed snobbery here.... People don't just buy these kind of bags because of "elitism, arrogance and ego" - a lot of people buy these because they want the best of the best in luxury items.
However the depicted bag is NOT the best in luxury items, at least unless you define luxury item as "faux late Victorian utility bag".

Old 01-01-2014   #27
Thardy

Many other bags on that site look much more attractive, and cost less from what I see.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 01-01-2014   #28
skopar steve

Bummer! I was just about to buy one when I noticed they are out of stock. My Vitessa T and Olympus XA along with a couple of sandwiches would fit nicely in there.

Old 01-01-2014   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Well, there used to be a saying "more money than sense" and I know which one I prefer. I guess that will be knocked down as reverse snobbery.

Regards, David

Old 01-01-2014   #30
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
However the depicted bag is NOT the best in luxury items, at least unless you define luxury item as "faux late Victorian utility bag".
For some it will be... what do you consider the definition of best in luxury bags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
This could be so. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the comparison test made, so that we could see which assertion is true.

In any case, my snobbery is of a much more refined class than your snobbery.

I guess I'm out snobberised

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Well, there used to be a saying "more money than sense" and I know which one I prefer. I guess that will be knocked down as reverse snobbery.

Regards, David
Yep, you got it right on the snobbery front
And aren't Leica owners in general also people with "more money then sense"? With those ridiculous priced cameras?

Old 01-01-2014   #31
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
A lot of reversed snobbery here.... People don't just buy these kind of bags because of "elitism, arrogance and ego" - a lot of people buy these because they want the best of the best in luxury items. If you think "There's a lot of $20 bags on eBay that look much better" to you, by all means, go out and order one of those. However the "probably last longer, as well" remark is just snobbery as it isn't based on anything - also, that is not what these bags are all about.

A lot of what is said here can be said about Leica....

Other than costing a fortune, can you please 'splain to me exactly what makes this bag the "best of the best" in luxury items? What I see is a basic canvas bag with leather trim and a hideous plaid cloth interior that will be scuffed and dirty the first time it goes for a tumble off the top of the car. I don't see that it has any more practical value than my Domke F-2. I know there are a lot of folks who love the Billingham bags too, but I don't 'get' the attraction of those either.

Apparently I have differing criteria for what makes something the "best." Oh, and as the owner (currently) of four Leica bodies... two digi and two film, I'm Appalled. That's "Appalled" with a capital "A" and two "p"s.

Find me on the web...

Old 01-01-2014   #32
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
Other than costing a fortune, can you please 'splain to me exactly what makes this bag the "best of the best" in luxury items?
I think they were talking about the Hermès, not the Ghurka. Hermès is generally considered the gold standard in leather goods, but I agree, the M9-P Hermès Jean-Louis Dumas limited edition bag is quite ugly and looks more like a Billingham knock-off than anything else.

My personal favorites are bags by Wotancraft and Hard Graft, although Gariz and Fast+Prime look like they are making some interesting bags as well.

Old 01-02-2014   #33
burancap

I don't care for the bag in question at that price, but...

One's newspaper sack is another's Domke. One's Domke is another's Ona. One's Ona ...Billlingham. Billlingham ... Fogg. Fogg ... Ghurka. Ghurka ... Hermes.

If you are happy with your bag of choice, then who am I to judge?

Old 01-02-2014   #34
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Yep, you got it right on the snobbery front
And aren't Leica owners in general also people with "more money then sense"? With those ridiculous priced cameras?
Hi,

Well, I know how many years I've had my Leica and how little it has cost to run other than film etc. I can't say that about my digital cameras. The lenses still out perform my requirements and I could say that about my old Summitar. Of course, like most Leica owners I buy most things second-hand and as cheaply as possible.

As for bags, I got mine with a camera in it for three pounds a while ago but the camera was digital and so they seem to think the outfit was worthless...

Regards, David

Old 01-02-2014   #35
pakeha

Quote:
I wonder what the Leica haters would have to say about the price of this camera bag?
that term is so 2013

Old 01-02-2014   #36
Linkert

There is this little shop in the Old Town part of Stockholm where they have been making leather sandals for ages, possibly even when Jesus walked around Stockholm converting vikings. Back in the mid 70's they where cheap sandals everyone hip had on their feet during the summer period. These days it's the same store doing the same thing as always but with one difference, the price.

Has time it self transformed the sandals from 'hippie love child leather sandals' to 'luxury leather sandals'? Is the fact that something is made by a Swede, or an Americano make it a luxury item these days? Probably yes. Pretty much everything is being made across the globe by low paid workers with a low or no QC.

There is no reason a bag should cost this much. If you can sell it, good for you. You have succeeded in marketing.

Why do I even bother..

Old 01-02-2014   #37
DougFord
on the good foot

As previously mentioned, it looks a lot like a fishing tackle satchel. Maybe carry a six of beer along with a small firearm, canned corn and some pop'n fresh dough. Head on down to the Passaic river and do some carp fish'n.
But I ain't got no 2000 dollars for no fishing satchel.

the walk

Old 01-02-2014   #38
ray*j*gun

I like my bag to look like its carrying an old tape vid camera....i am nerdy looking enough to get away with that and be ignored.

Old 01-02-2014   #39
hlockwood

Quote:
I was ready to buy, but then I saw that the strap costs an extra $225. Sorry, just over budget, so, no sale.

HFL

Leica M7/0.85, Hexar RF, M9-P and a bunch of lenses.

Last edited by hlockwood : 01-02-2014 at 13:34. Reason: Punctuation

Old 01-02-2014   #40
goamules

The interesting thing to me is ALL camera bags in the 1890s - 1960s were as high a quality as that, or better, and cost very, very little.