Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Samoca
Old 08-25-2013   #1
one90guy

Samoca

Won a Samoca 35 LE with a D. Ezumar 2.8 lens in good condition with working meter. Does not seem to be a lot of information out there about this brand. Found some who praised the lens and others who gave it low marks. Anyone have any experience with one of these? I have started a roll of film through it, hope to finish it this week.

David

Old 08-25-2013   #2
Roger Hicks

Dear David,

Can't remember which model mine is but it's very much of its time: neither awful nor stellar: so by modern standards, mediocre. The lens is great if you're expecting crap and rather better than OK if you're a bit more realistic in your expectations. But if you're expecting better than average performance, no, it is no "unknown gem".

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-25-2013   #3
one90guy

Roger

LOL that was what I was expecting, neat looking little camera. The shipping was double the cost of the camera but was I was hoping for a "Unknown Gem". Still looking forward to seeing the results of the first roll.

Thanks
David

Old 08-25-2013   #4
pakeha

got three around here somewhere.. average seems to be the consensus..on the plus side they are very easy to work on, even my son managed to pull one apart and put it back together mostly in workable condition

Old 08-25-2013   #5
awbphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
got three around here somewhere.. average seems to be the consensus..on the plus side they are very easy to work on, even my son managed to pull one apart and put it back together mostly in workable condition
I had the same experience! It was my first at home camera repair, and it went so well I was inspired to try my hand with other cameras. I have the Samoca III with original hood (with case) + filter set. It's currently not working, but I'm sure I could fix it myself. Get one and play with it! Mine was capable of making images that surprise me even today. I'll link a sample if I can find one.

Andy

Old 08-25-2013   #6
one90guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbphotog View Post
I had the same experience! It was my first at home camera repair, and it went so well I was inspired to try my hand with other cameras. I have the Samoca III with original hood (with case) + filter set. It's currently not working, but I'm sure I could fix it myself. Get one and play with it! Mine was capable of making images that surprise me even today. I'll link a sample if I can find one.

Andy
Hi Andy
I would like to see some photos from your Samoca, I do like the viewfinder and focus patch.

David

Old 08-26-2013   #7
awbphotog

David,

Here are a couple shots from the Samoca. It's rather sharp under the right circumstances. Enjoy!

Andy

Old 08-26-2013   #8
one90guy

Hi Andy
Thanks for posting the pics, I like what I see. Looks like number 2 was taken straight into the sun. Wanted to use it today but we have had rain all day.

David