Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Is California Senate Bill 606 a good law or a bad law?
This is a good law 8 5.30%
This is a bad law 86 56.95%
This law is neither good or bad 10 6.62%
Children must be protected from photographers at all costs 3 1.99%
This law is a travesty - it violates the First Amendment 52 34.44%
Politicians should have carte blanche to say what is a legitimate form of photography 2 1.32%
Why does the gov't. get to photograph us with impunity while outlawing other forms of photography? 37 24.50%
Photographers have no right to photograph children even in public 2 1.32%
This law is okay but news photographers should have a special exemption 1 0.66%
It's high time that politicians put photographers in their place 4 2.65%
Politicians have no legitimate authority to decide what photography "serves no legitimate purpose" 54 35.76%
Politicians can do whatever they want once they are in office 4 2.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

California Senate Bill 606: No more photographing children W/O written permission
Old 08-14-2013   #1
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Question California Senate Bill 606: No more photographing children W/O written permission

At the risk of starting a bloodbath, I am going to post the following article which was posted @ Peta Pixel. If passed and signed into law, California Senate Bill 606 will outlaw photographing children without the prior written consent of the parents or guardians.

Please cast your vote(s) for whichever option(s) in this multiple choice poll most closely matches your worldview on California Senate Bill 606.

And please try to be nice [AKA civil] to your fellow forum members in the discussions that will inevitably ensue.

Quote:
Hollywood Actresses Speak Out In Favor of Anti-Paparazzi Child Protection Law

David Becker · Aug 14, 2013

Actresses Halle Berry and Jennifer Garner testified before the California Legislature on Tuesday in support of an anti-paparazzi bill that would ban taking pictures of children without their parents’ written consent.

According to NBC, both actresses said their children had been repeatedly traumatized by herds of photographers looking for gossip fodder:

“I don’t want a gang of shouting, arguing, lawbreaking photographers who camp out everywhere we are all day, every day, to continue traumatizing my kids,” testified Garner, who has three children with husband and actor Ben Affleck. “They have a bounty on their heads every day.”

According to the Sacramento Bee, Berry said she has considered moving to France to protect her 5-year-old daughter, Nahla, from the press.

“They are allowed to be so close to her that they can shout obscenities to me and ask her questions that are inappropriate for a 5-year-old to have to answer,” testified Berry, explaining that her daughter is afraid to go to preschool because of the paparazzi horde.

California Senate Bill 606 would expand the state’s definition of “harassment” to include photographing, following or lying in wait for a child without the written consent of a parent or guardian — provided such behavior “seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes the child or ward, and … serves no legitimate purpose.”

The bill, which passed the state Senate unanimously and is now headed for a vote in the Assembly, threatens non-abiding paparazzi with fines of up to $30,000 and a year in prison.

Representatives for the Motion Picture Association of America, the California Newspaper Publishers Association and other groups have opposed the bill, saying it could hinder news-gathering and other legitimate activities.
Link: http://petapixel.com/2013/08/14/papa...=Yahoo%21+Mail

Old 08-14-2013   #2
35mmdelux
#Represent

If passed and signed into law, California Senate Bill 606 will outlaw photographing children without the prior written consent of the parents or guardians.

I'm good with this in principle to protect children; however the law needs to better vetted to avoid a blanket censure and violation of 1st Amendment rights.

Old 08-14-2013   #3
daveleo
what?

Fascinating. In NYC you can secretly photograph anyone even inside their
homes (through windows).
In California you can't even photograph children out on the street.
Must be different countries, or maybe live under different Constitutions.
Hey, wait . . . did California ever actually sign the Constitution ?

Old 08-14-2013   #4
f16sunshine

If passed next you will not be allowed to look at children without permission.
Know why? Because this sort of stupidity knows no end and is never satisfied.
The more something is forbiden the worse things become for those that these types of laws are intended to protect.
It is a fools folly.

Old 08-14-2013   #5
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

It's not the fault of the politicians. It's the people of the United States of America. If the voting constituency lets the politicians run over their rights, then the constituency has been complicit through non-action.
We still have the power, as voters, to say what goes in this country.

Phil Forrest

Old 08-14-2013   #6
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
If passed next you will not be allowed to look at children without permission.
Know why? Because this sort of stupidity knows no end and is never satisfied.
The more something is forbiden the worse things become for those that these types of laws are intended to protect.
It is a fools folly.
What he said. And what William Pitt the younger said:
Quote:
Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Old 08-14-2013   #7
back alley
IMAGES

soon, all the celebrities with kids will move to california...no more paparazzi...

Old 08-14-2013   #8
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post
If passed and signed into law, California Senate Bill 606 will outlaw photographing children without the prior written consent of the parents or guardians.

I'm good with this in principle to protect children; however the law needs to better vetted to avoid a blanket censure and violation of 1st Amendment rights.
What are you protecting children from, I am just curious?
Let's say I spotted a child in a park and viciously took picture of him.
What is next? What is that dangerous to this child things that one CAN do with this photograph?
God damn ridiculous...

Old 08-14-2013   #9
rscheffler

Maybe if people would stop reading the gossip publications the market for this kind of celebrity photography would diminish?

While the actions of some photographers, as cited in the testimony, are questionable, they're competing in a market demanding such images, thanks to the public's lust for such details. And to a degree, the celebrities need this market to exist. Just that it's difficult for them to control how far reaching the consequences of people's desires to know the intimacies of their lives will be. A price of fame?

While the proposal includes definitions as to what defines 'harassment' you know it will be twisted and abused. Some will misinterpret it to mean any and all photography of children without permission is banned. Definitely a bad idea to leave it up to law enforcement to determine what legitimate purposes are.

Old 08-14-2013   #10
YYV_146

Why don't just pass a law banning the use of photo of children w/o permission for commercial applications of any kind?

This is about as stupid as banning motorcycles because they tend to run people over.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 08-14-2013   #11
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
It's not the fault of the politicians. It's the people of the United States of America. If the voting constituency lets the politicians run over their rights, then the constituency has been complicit through non-action.
We still have the power, as voters, to say what goes in this country.

Phil Forrest
Its not just that people let politicians get away with it; often the people DEMAND that their elected officials do so!

Still waiting
Old 08-14-2013   #12
randolph45

Still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Fascinating. In NYC you can secretly photograph anyone even inside their
homes (through windows).
In California you can't even photograph children out on the street.
Must be different countries, or maybe live under different Constitutions.
Hey, wait . . . did California ever actually sign the Constitution ?
The Pony Express hasn't delivered our copy of the Constitution yet

Old 08-14-2013   #13
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Its not just that people let politicians get away with it; often the people DEMAND that their elected officials do so!
This is true. A lot of people are going to think this is a great law.

We have to keep in mind that most people are incredibly stupid.
I am not being mean to say that. It's merely a fact that I (we) have to live with.

EDIT: not picking on our Californian buddies. Here in Massachusetts we have some of the most educated and well-informed stupid people in the country

Grandpa Arrested
Old 08-14-2013   #14
randolph45

Grandpa Arrested

Grandpa will be arrested for taking pictures of his Grand-kids because his Son or Daughter didn't give permission first

Old 08-14-2013   #15
troym

Don't rely on news articles to give complete and accurate descriptions of legal issues. Whether or not the proposal is a good idea, you should read the bill yourself. Here is the key definition:
Quote:
"Harasses” means knowing and willful conduct directed at a specific child or ward that seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes the child or ward, and that serves no legitimate purpose, including, but not limited to, that conduct occurring during the course of any actual or attempted recording of the child’s or ward’s image or voice, or both, without the written consent of the parent or legal guardian of the child or ward, by following the child’s or ward’s activities or by lying in wait. The conduct must be such as would cause a reasonable child to suffer substantial emotional distress, and actually cause the victim to suffer substantial emotional distress.

Old 08-14-2013   #16
Frontman

Don't rely on news articles to give complete and accurate descriptions of legal issues. Whether or not the proposal is a good idea, you should read the bill yourself. Here is the key definition:
Quote:

"Harasses” means knowing and willful conduct directed at a specific child or ward that seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes the child or ward, and that serves no legitimate purpose, including, but not limited to, that conduct occurring during the course of any actual or attempted recording of the child’s or ward’s image or voice, or both, without the written consent of the parent or legal guardian of the child or ward, by following the child’s or ward’s activities or by lying in wait. The conduct must be such as would cause a reasonable child to suffer substantial emotional distress, and actually cause the victim to suffer substantial emotional distress."

The problem is that there is no specific definition for "seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes" nor is the term "no legitimate purpose" very specific. And exactly how does one measure "substantial emotional distress"? Children suffer "substantial emotional distress" if the ice cream truck fails to stop when they wave; should the ice cream man be charged for causing a child emotional distress if he fails to stop? I suffered substantial emotional distress when I was a child whenever Santa didn't bring the gift I wanted, should my parents have been charged with a crime?

It seems we are becoming a nation of weak and silly fools.

Old 08-14-2013   #17
charjohncarter

I've complied. I had the children move out of the frame so I could legally take this picture in Long Beach:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5467/...d0b828e0d1.jpg

Old 08-14-2013   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

While I accept that children are a very tricky area for photographers this is crazy.

What a strange society we're becoming ... we over think everything!

Old 08-14-2013   #19
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Celebrities should not be allowed in public. They cause more damage to our culture than just about anyone else I can think of. Celebrities are more than willing to let public adoration pump up their egos and pay checks. So I say they d**n well deserve the papparazi. Oops... sorry... late night... rant shields are down!

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-14-2013   #20
j j

Petapixel knows how to push the moral panic buttons. What part of your photography needs to “seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes the child or ward, and … serves no legitimate purpose.” ?

Old 08-15-2013   #21
Snapper_uk

Hmmm. How many people ranting against this here are actually parents? Or parents of children that are continually followed by paps?

California Senate Bill 606 would expand the state’s definition of “harassment” to include photographing, following or lying in wait for a child without the written consent of a parent or guardian — provided such behavior “seriously alarms, annoys, torments, or terrorizes the child or ward, and … serves no legitimate purpose.”

So someone with a camera (I hate to use the word 'photographer' here) has the right to do the above? Another example of the arrogance of camera users that think that anything is game in public.

Old 08-15-2013   #22
Snapper_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Celebrities should not be allowed in public. They cause more damage to our culture than just about anyone else I can think of. Celebrities are more than willing to let public adoration pump up their egos and pay checks. So I say they d**n well deserve the papparazi. Oops... sorry... late night... rant shields are down!
Ah, but who makes the celebrities? Who buys the magazines and papers the publishes paparazzi pictures? If people weren't so eager to gobble up celebrity culture, there would be no celebrities.

Don't blame their kids for that.

Old 08-15-2013   #23
mugent

In fairness, this is more of an anit-harrasment bill,rather than an anti-photographer bill. The problem is, as with most laws, interpretation.

I can't help thinking that celebrities who have been affected by invasive photographers would be better served with some kind of injunction against the publishing newspapers, if there is no market for the photos, then the paps won't bother.

I think being surrounded by photographers when you take your kids to school *is* harassment, and there are already laws in place to deal with that.

Old 08-15-2013   #24
Rick Waldroup

Would this ridiculous law stop street photographers from taking wonderful shots like this one? Even though this was not shot in the U.S., this great photo by one of our members, Clayne, captures the sheer joy of kids, acting, well, like kids.....

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=213628

Old 08-15-2013   #25
MIkhail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_uk View Post
Hmmm. How many people ranting against this here are actually parents? Or parents of children that are continually followed by paps?

So someone with a camera (I hate to use the word 'photographer' here) has the right to do the above? Another example of the arrogance of camera users that think that anything is game in public.

Anything IS game in public, that's what law says. And I hope it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
Would this ridiculous law stop street photographers from taking wonderful shots like this one? Even though this was not shot in the U.S., this great photo by one of our members, Clayne, captures the sheer joy of kids, acting, well, like kids.....

You bet it will.

Old 08-15-2013   #26
jsrockit

Many people already think there are laws like this in NYC. Many people think it is illegal to photograph anyone without their consent. It seems that in NYC, people come from all different countries and then think the laws from the country they came from are the same as in the US.

I can see both sides in the 606 bill. It sucks for a parent to have to deal with some creep job using their kids image for nefarious purposes. However, it would suck to give overly protective parents any reason to get in a photographer's face. There are parents that go nuts simply because their kid was 100 feet away in the background of a photo.

I've always thought people were silly about photographing in the streets. They will go to a museum, read a magazine, or look at a picture book without making the connection that most of those images were made by a person in a public place not asking everyone for permission.

Old 08-15-2013   #27
lynnb

This law would never have happened if paparazzi were generally well mannered or at least moderated their behaviour. Now everyone stands to lose.
Flickr

Old 08-15-2013   #28
Cold

The spirit behind it isn't so bad, but the law itself is awful and realistically unenforceable.

Let's say you're a street photographer, not necessarily focusing on a child, but there's maybe 20-30 people in the scene you capture.

Some over-protective mom sees someone with a camera and goes into berserker mode, demanding you delete the photo because her child was in it. You explain you're shooting film, so you can't possibly delete it, and now you're facing criminal charges for violation of this law because berserker-mom, as a ward, feels harassed, and "art" is not a "legitimate" reason.

By the book, that photographer is guilty, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if his/her name ends up on some sort of child crimes list.

Old 08-15-2013   #29
j j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post

It is not a law. Even if it became one it would not stop photos such as that one by Clayne: the subjects do not appear harassed and in any case they are not in California.

Old 08-15-2013   #30
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post

Some over-protective mom sees someone with a camera and goes into berserker mode, demanding you delete the photo because her child was in it. You explain you're shooting film, so you can't possibly delete it, and now you're facing criminal charges for violation of this law because berserker-mom, as a ward, feels harassed, and "art" is not a "legitimate" reason.

By the book, that photographer is guilty, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if his/her name ends up on some sort of child crimes list.
Yes, this is certainly one of the cons of the bill.

Old 08-15-2013   #31
btgc

Good part of adults qualify as a children. Now their images are protected by the law. Great!

Old 08-15-2013   #32
leicapixie

I lived in Southern California.
Lord help you if there were kids somewhere on the beach, miles away..
Everybody was concerned. The fact i was doing a scene or fashion shoot,
made no difference.The kids were not even in my shots..Too far away, plus
they were dots. Pedophiles are usually your OWN family.

Old 08-15-2013   #33
MIkhail

I still fail to see what possible harm can one do to a child by taking picture of him in public place. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old 08-15-2013   #34
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkhail View Post
I still fail to see what possible harm can one do to a child by taking picture of him in public place. Can anyone enlighten me?
Photoshopping your kid's head onto another kid's body. Sites with pictures of kids by people with no relation to the kids who are not in it for the art, etc. The celebrities probably just want their kids to have a semi-normal life without being harrassed or ending up in some rumor magazine.

Old 08-15-2013   #35
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Luckily we don't have that many more serious problems to deal with these days, what's a bored politician to do ? got to make a living somehow

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 08-15-2013   #36
Ronald M

Supply and demand determine price.

Celebrities supposedly dislike the paparazzi, so they run, duck and hide. The way to stop it is to stand still, smile, and let them fill the cards or run out of film. How much is the pic worth. Not much when 20 people have them all. Then they give up.

Same with your kids. Provide some photo ops.

Now if they invade privacy with cameras on drones or the like, jail time as far as I am concerned for the photog and magazine that publishes them.

Old 08-15-2013   #37
Spanik

Quote:
Good part of adults qualify as a children. Now their images are protected by the law. Great!
Yep, you now cannot take a picture of me without written consent of my mom.

Old 08-15-2013   #38
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
It's a real pity that "civilised" countries don't require 51% of all voters to back any new statute.
I heard from a Swiss friend that every "major" law that politicians want to pass also has to pass a local popular vote, or a type of referendum. I guess that makes Switzerland a democracy in the more literal sense, but it must get tiring to vote on absolutely everything, I mean surely there are issues where I wouldn't feel interested or qualified to give my opinion

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 08-15-2013   #39
Gumby

This bill is no good. No good at all. It is written to narrowly. In addition to photographers it should be expanded to include caricature artists, mimes, clowns, and clergy!

Old 08-15-2013   #40
redisburning
-

there is no expectation of privacy in public.

this can be dealt with under existing harassment laws.

btw people aren't dumb, and Americans aren't dumb either, as a whole. but Americans, culturally, are short sighted and sold the idea that common sense, rather than technocratic approaches, is the solution to most problems. which is why you can have a law like this, which seems like "common sense", but which simply expands the power of the state while the issue it proposes to address is already covered in other areas.

and I have zero issue with celebrities whining and moaning about the paparazzi following them. clearly, public figures are the only ones targeted by them. however, letting them complain is different than bending the law to them when it places an unnecessary burden on others to comply to nebulous laws.