Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What powers should a poster have over their posts ?
Unlimited power to delete. Unlimited power to edit. 66 49.62%
No power to delete. Unlimited power to edit. 23 17.29%
No power to delete. Restricted power to edit. 37 27.82%
No power to delete. No power to edit. 7 5.26%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What power should a poster have over their posts
Old 08-11-2013   #1
Murchu

Poll: What power should a poster have over their posts

Tangentially related to other recent posts (http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=135474, http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=135469) around the issues involved when users opt to have their posts deleted, I thought it might be of interest to see what are users feelings on the control a user should have over their posts.

As per recent posts and clarifications, it appears that the forum software does not allow the option of allowing posters to delete their posts without also deleting the threads that poster has created, thus I have not included the option 'Yes, should be able to delete posts, but threads started remain intact'.

In case its unclear from the above, or anyone has not been following the aforementioned threads, presently when a users posts are deleted, any threads they started effectively disappear into thin air.

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 08-11-2013   #2
GeorgeD
-

The RFf TOS are quite clear. We all read and agreed to them before signing on.

Old 08-11-2013   #3
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
The RFf TOS are quite clear. We all read and agreed to them before signing on.
True, but that does not mean things should never change. Besides, this is just a poll

Old 08-11-2013   #4
Nomad Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
"By posting your comments or images on RFF, you are giving permanent irrevocable permission for those posts and images to be used at RFF on the RFF site, even if and when you are no longer a RFF member."

The TOS isn't actually being followed (it is only if all user deleted posts/threads are resurrected)
I would argue that the clause concerns the users giving permission for their posts to persist, but does not place an obligation on the forum staff to ensure that they persist. However, it does release the forum staff from any obligation to delete an outgoing user's posts.

In the particular case of a user being banned, it is often not necessary to delete all of their posts - only those that are particularly contentious or that clearly contravene the TOS. Any such posts that are thread starters can either be deleted by a mod (if the thread itself is contentious and of no particular value to the forum), or the post content can be replaced with "content deleted" or the like.

Old 08-11-2013   #5
back alley
IMAGES

some of you guys have way too much free time...

Old 08-11-2013   #6
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
some of you guys have way too much free time...
Why so? Rff serves as a community archive as much as a place to converse day to day, thus anything such as deleted posts, reduces the value of that archive, and thus rff, to users..

Old 08-11-2013   #7
Murchu

For those who voted in favour of allowing users to delete their posts, I am curious as to your thoughts, if you care to share them. My own personal thoughts would be that through unlimited power to edit your posts and content, that users have everything they need to control/ self-prune any content they feel the need to. I'm genuinely curious, no attempt to antagonise/ force people to justify their opinions

Old 08-11-2013   #8
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Pond View Post
From a guy with 35,676 posts?
i've been here from day 1 and a mod since then too...answering posts like this adds up.

Old 08-11-2013   #9
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murchu View Post
For those who voted in favour of allowing users to delete their posts, I am curious as to your thoughts, if you care to share them. My own personal thoughts would be that through unlimited power to edit your posts and content, that users have everything they need to control/ self-prune any content they feel the need to. I'm genuinely curious, no attempt to antagonise/ force people to justify their opinions
I won't win a popularity contest with this, but here it goes anyways:

Dave's case is only one side of the medal, Murchu, and I'm glad the portrait thread got re-surrected.

However: sometimes (actually quite often recently) threads go astray, and then the only thing the OP can do is delete it (only moderators can close it). For example, yesterday, I started a thread with examples of lens distortion in the Optics forum. Got a couple of good replies, but even more questioning the subject, sarcastically (why they visit the optics forum is beyond me). So I deleted it, and am happy that I could. Another example is a couple of months back when I asked if an F3 could be modified to allow meter and recompose. Next to a couple of good posts, I got a bunch of b*tchy remarks about how perfect the F3 is just as is, that I didn't know how to use it, etc. And so the thread went in the trash; good riddance.

I've started many threads that have had a "good life". For example, my Bokeh thread, or some of the Gallery picks of the week threads - I would never delete them, and do feel they don't belong to me any more. But for the examples above, deletion is fine, IMO. I feel we should keep the status quo, as long as moderators are helping (as they did with Dave's thread).

Roland.

Old 08-11-2013   #10
Addy101

Ehm, the answer I want to give isn't there: unlimited power to edit, unlimited power to delete single posts, no power to delete threads.

The problem in the other thread isn't that posts were deleted, but that threads were deleted........ So, this poll is completely besides the point for me.

Old 08-11-2013   #11
Dwig

IMHO, the OP should not have the power to delete other people's posts.

Old 08-11-2013   #12
brbo

What do you gain by deleting a thread? What do others gain?

Old 08-11-2013   #13
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
"By posting your comments or images on RFF, you are giving permanent irrevocable permission for those posts and images to be used at RFF on the RFF site, even if and when you are no longer a RFF member."

The TOS isn't actually being followed (it is only if all user deleted posts/threads are resurrected)
If you are no longer a member of the forum, effectively you no longer have to agree with the TOS. Many websites would prefer to have no trace of you if you decided to decline the TOS.

I would think that people here would be sensitive to the issue of having control over one's content, preventing one from deleting their own posts is in my view worse than the unusual chance that somebody will delete the OP and erase an entire thread.

Old 08-11-2013   #14
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
However: sometimes (actually quite often recently) threads go astray, and then the only thing the OP can do is delete it (only moderators can close it). For example, I just started a thread with examples of lens distortion in the Optics forum. Got a couple of good replies, but even more questioning the subject, sarcastically (why they visit the optics forum is beyond me). So I deleted it, and am happy that I could. Another example is a couple of months back when I asked if an F3 could be modified to allow meter and recompose. Next to a couple of good posts, I got a bunch of b*tchy remarks about how perfect the F3 is just as is, that I didn't know how to use it, etc. And so the thread went it the trash; good riddance.

Then again, I would never, say, delete my Bokeh thread, or the Gallery picks of the week threads that I started. I feel we should keep the status quo, as long as moderators are helping (as they did with Dave's thread).

Roland.
No, I can actually see where you're coming from mostly, Roland. Trolling is to be despised in my opinion, its just my own thoughts would be that it is an issue for moderators to deal with, not users, by warning or banning users, or even closing the thread.

Old 08-11-2013   #15
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
What do you gain by deleting a thread? What do others gain?
World peace. In some cases.

Quote:
No, I can actually see where you're coming from mostly, Roland. Trolling is to be despised in my opinion, its just my own thoughts would be that it is an issue for moderators to deal with, not users, by warning or banning users, or even closing the thread.
Moderators will only close threads if they really get offensive. They wouldn't touch my two examples, in the OPs own interest.

Old 08-11-2013   #16
msbarnes

I like being able to delete posts/threads and I can see why others oppose this .... but why are people against editing?

Old 08-11-2013   #17
brbo

Quote:
World peace. In some cases.
I thought that wish was reserved for Miss World only.

But, I understand, why wouldn't RFF enable some other people feel like that for a moment, right?

Old 08-11-2013   #18
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
but why are people against editing?
Encourages people to think before they hit post ? Only taking a stab in the dark, as I like to edit myself, especially when refinements of my thoughts seem only to come to me seconds after I hit the post button, lol

Old 08-11-2013   #19
ferider

Quote:
I thought that wish was reserved for Miss World only.

But, I understand, why wouldn't RFF enable some other people feel like that for a moment, right?

Hey, maybe Murchu should delete this thread .... Let's see where it goes.

Old 08-11-2013   #20
brbo

Quote:
I like being able to delete posts/threads
Why?

Especially when you could only zero out your first post and delete your other posts in that thread?

Old 08-11-2013   #21
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:

Not true. The TOS also states " The administrators and moderators of RFF have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread, post or posted image. "

Stephen

Old 08-11-2013   #22
brbo

Quote:

Hey, maybe Murchu should delete this thread ....
Why only Murchu? I think you and I should both be allowed to delete this thread. Right?

If not, why not?

Old 08-11-2013   #23
Murchu

Quote:

Hey, maybe Murchu should delete this thread .... Let's see where it goes.
Ha ha, the irony already crossed my mind earlier, and before that post.. lol

Old 08-11-2013   #24
msbarnes

Quote:
Why?

Especially when you could only zero out your first post and delete your other posts in that thread?
For the same reasons as Roland outlined.

Zeroing out the first post and deleting the rest seems like more work, especially since others can quote you and use it against you. It just seems easier to delete the entire thread.

I don't find deleted posts/threads to be that big of a deal, to be honest. I don't think that anything is SO important that it should be permanent. Likewise, I'm sure others would argue the opposite.

Old 08-11-2013   #25
Murchu

Actually, another question to those in favour of being able to delete their posts - is it something you actually make use of, or simply something you like knowing you have the option of. If the former, is it something you do very often/ moderately/ infrequently?

Old 08-11-2013   #26
brbo

Quote:
For the same reasons as Roland outlined.
World peace?!

I thought Roland was joking...

Old 08-11-2013   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

The site belongs to Stephen. What we post does not belong to us.
Don't get emotional about it.
Move on. Post more.

This may sound cold, but I think that this is reality.
Limited editing should be OK.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-11-2013   #28
ampguy

I agree with Roland's post above, and it appears that about half of the folks in the poll do as well.

I did spend an hour or so working on the images I submitted to the thread that Roland decided to kill, but that is his prerogative. I think he may have been overly sensitive by a couple of negative comments that could/should just be ignored, as there were other positive contributions to a great topic about lens distortion.

But in the end, it's his thread. He started it. Let him own it.

If you're worried the originator of a thread like Camera and Coffee or Cats will someday get deleted by the OP, then start your own thread. Call it My Coffee and Cameras, or My Cats.

And for whatever reason the RFF'er who recently left, and asked the mods to delete their posts, threads and images, (which I realize contained content submitted by others), I think RFF did the right thing, and a proper courtesy.

Old 08-11-2013   #29
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy View Post
But in the end, it's his thread. He started it. Let him own it.

If you're worried the originator of a thread like Camera and Coffee or Cats will someday get deleted by the OP, then start your own thread. Call it My Coffee and Cameras, or My Cats.
No disrespect, but that's just insane.

I've been to forums that tried to prevent thread duplication, none have tried to encourage it.

Forums are for SHARING, not showing and then taking it away.

But as you pointed out, more than a half seems to disagree, so...

Old 08-11-2013   #30
raid
Dad Photographer

Both sides have arguments that sound logical and fair (to some).
RFF has lots to offer in useful information, so I will not dwell on this issue.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

depends on the purpose of the forum
Old 08-11-2013   #31
ampguy

depends on the purpose of the forum

If the forum is a business, even just wanting to pay it's hosting and support bills, then it needs growth and unique visitors, as well as retention of the existing users.

If it's a private forum, not public, and is supported by subscription fees or whatever, then those forum owners can tweak the parameters as they see fit, and even impose "insane" editing constraints.

Quote:
No disrespect, but that's just insane.

I've been to forums that tried to prevent thread duplication, none have tried to encourage it.

Forums are for SHARING, not showing and then taking it away.

But as you pointed out, more than a half seems to disagree, so...

Old 08-11-2013   #32
Addy101

People seem to decide what the sentiments are based on this poll, however, I didn't vote as the correct option isn't there.

Raid is right, it is the bartenders site and I would like to thank him for allowing us into his bar. I don't have problem when he or the mods delete posts - that is part of their job. I have a problem when other people delete my posts. Is it a big issue? No.... But I still want to express my position

Old 08-11-2013   #33
Murchu

Quote:
If the forum is a business, even just wanting to pay it's hosting and support bills, then it needs growth and unique visitors, as well as retention of the existing users.
Probably quite off-topic, but..

I agree with this. To me a public forum like rff is like a sporting occasion;

Forum = the playing venue
Posters = the players
Moderators = the referees

Without any of the above three = no game. Equally, if any of the above are unhappy, it usually makes for a much poorer game.

Old 08-11-2013   #34
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Actually, another question to those in favour of being able to delete their posts - is it something you actually make use of, or simply something you like knowing you have the option of. If the former, is it something you do very often/ moderately/ infrequently?
I delete pretty regularly. I have posts deleted by moderators without my input as well, tho fewer than I delete myself. No account for taste.

Quote:
Isn't that what the gallery is?

Old 08-11-2013   #35
Murchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I delete pretty regularly.
Any particular reason why so regularly? Posts made in haste, or other reasons? Just curious mainly

Old 08-11-2013   #36
ampguy

@murchu - my reasons are if I've sold something, there's no reason to leave the clutter of the completed transaction around, or if I have a question about something, and find the answer, I don't want to burden folks typing long responses if I've already resolved a situation.

I don't delete my threads if there is a lot of good content and intention in it, but someone poopp poos it. I just ignore those posts, and focus and reply to the positive ones. If for some reason, it just keeps going south, then I might delete it.

Sometimes I will post a cute cat photo, and then find an even cuter one to post. But in these cases, I usually don't delete the earlier one...so I do sometimes support the no-delete idealists

Old 08-11-2013   #37
Murchu

Quote:
@murchu - my reasons are if I've sold something, there's no reason to leave the clutter of the completed transaction around, or if I have a question about something, and find the answer, I don't want to burden folks typing long responses if I've already resolved a situation.
Can understand the deletion of sales posts, but would have thought a thread you'd begun to get an answer to something would have been helpful to any others coming after you, rather than the need for others to ask the same question again..

Old 08-11-2013   #38
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Any particular reason why so regularly?
No. Whim......

Old 08-11-2013   #39
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

When someone post a thread and it strays away from it's intended purpose or causes others to get irate and argumentative the OP should have the right to delete the thread..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

The Internet should be part of the real world ......
Old 08-11-2013   #40
f16sunshine

The Internet should be part of the real world ......

........ where, what has been said can not be un-said (unless you are an elected official ) .

Too much flexibility in editing internet dialog contributes to diarrhea in post content.
Everyone here has been guilty of it at one point or another.

The power we should have over our posts should come before posting.
After that you said..... it's out there.
If you want to unsay it... admit your foible out in the open not by taking down an entire dialog.
Now that is taking power over your posts.