Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

I bought a Kiev 2 and now I am broken
Old 07-20-2013   #1
kyonthinh

I bought a Kiev 2 and now I am broken

Hi guys,
I've read many posts here and decide to buy one Kiev. I always want to have a Contax, but it is old and waiting list is long too, and Nikon is not cheap. After a day considered Kiev 4AM, 4A and II, I hit the button for II . Hope it will turn out well as described.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390487178970...84.m1497.l2649
It has KMZ Jupiter, one reason for me.
Cheers,
Thinh.

Old 07-20-2013   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Congrats!
II is good one.

I owned 4AM, for short time and sold it quickly after fixing light leaks.

Old 07-20-2013   #3
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Welcome! And don't be too hard on yourself

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 07-20-2013   #4
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

It looks very good, and price is certainly excellent. These were excellent cameras, and the J8 is a fine lens. Other lenses for it are much cheaper than the equivalent ones for screwmount, as well. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Dez

Old 07-21-2013   #5
kievan81

Congarts! it's a very good price for Kiev 2 at this condition. And yes, kiev 2 is the best of all kiev contax.

Old 07-21-2013   #6
Sid836

Wow! It seems even having that little exposure guide card that goes in a pocket at the back of the case! Great find!

Old 07-21-2013   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Aside from the slightly squinty viewfinder they are a very, very good camera ...I kept mine in preference to a Nikon RF.

I hope it treats you well.

Old 07-22-2013   #8
kyonthinh

Thanks everyone, I am waiting for it.
@Keith: you mean normally you treat camera, and in Russia camera treats you?

Old 07-22-2013   #9
newspaperguy

Congratulations! You bought the best FSU rangefinder ever made. and it is a true Contax copy - Zeiss historian Peter Hemming described the early Kievs as "...a German camera built in Russia." (OK, the Ukraine, really.)

As you may have guessed, I too have, and use, a Kiev II.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=137417

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Last edited by newspaperguy : 07-22-2013 at 14:28. Reason: add link

Old 07-22-2013   #10
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaperguy View Post
Congratulations! You bought the best FSU rangefinder ever made. and it is a true Contax copy - Zeiss historian Peter Hemming described the early Kievs as "...a German camera built in Russia." (OK, the Ukraine, really.)

As you may have guessed, I too have, and use, a Kiev II.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...photoid=137417

Wellllll it's a great camera, but needs to rate second best to the fabulous and clunky Leningrad. It's certainly a cut above all the other FSU's. I am always impressed that the plating on early Kievs is a lot better than that of the prewar Contaxes.

Cheers,
Dez

KNEB... the inscription...
Old 07-22-2013   #11
kuzano

KNEB... the inscription...

I have a 1952 (SN starts with 53xxx...) and the KNEB inscription. It has treated me quite well.

I was told, the fifties models (identified by SN and the KNEB on the front plate) were early production after reconstruction of the Contax factory at the Kiev Arsenal, post WWII. There is a good chance the camera is assembled from original Contax parts that early in the Kiev Arsenal startup. There was purportedly a lot of parts inventory in the original ship and startup of the factory.

Mine is smooth and very nice operation in all aspects. I have the J8 and love the camera. Great plating, covering, smooth wind-on and shutter on time.

Enjoy.

Old 07-22-2013   #12
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

They had probably run out of Contax parts by 1950, but the early 50's Kievs, whether they are Soviet or German, are extremely well made cameras, every bit as good as the prewar Contaxes, and these days usually costing as much, too.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 07-23-2013   #13
newspaperguy

[quote=Dez;2184976]Wellllll

"... it's a great camera, but needs to rate second best to the fabulous and clunky Leningrad."

Sorry Dez...

My experiences with spring-wound cameras (Practina FX, Robot)
soured me completely on that whole concept. Not for me, Thanks.

Last edited by newspaperguy : 07-23-2013 at 07:28. Reason: sp

Old 07-28-2013   #14
julio1fer

Well done. Later on you can get a Helios-103, and then you will feel in Nirvana.

Old 07-28-2013   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I used to have a Nikon S2 black dial that I subsequently sold because I liked the Kiev better. When I got my Kiev ll I was quite surprised at how smooth it was and the rangefinder is exceptional IMO. It has a light leak that I know the source of ... I just haven't got around to fixing it yet.

Old 07-28-2013   #16
Rangefinderfreak

hehe, when CCCP collapsed and the borders opened, here in Finland we had a flood of russian cameras coming in, as all the russkis wanted to "get rich in an instant". you could buy those Contax/Kievs for twenty dollars for kilo. Two bodies weighted that one kilo. If you bought ten, maybe you were lucky with having one or two that worked well. the rest was for practising the service work...I had one that had the shutter # 240, that means it was from German parts. I painted it black and put a golden Lenin emblem on it. Sold it in Ebay, calling it " The commemorative Contax model for Soviet 50 year occupy of the Baltic countries" Like leica has these whatever commemorative models of this and that bridge...

Old 07-28-2013   #17
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinderfreak View Post
hehe, when CCCP collapsed and the borders opened, here in Finland we had a flood of russian cameras coming in, as all the russkis wanted to "get rich in an instant". you could buy those Contax/Kievs for twenty dollars for kilo. Two bodies weighted that one kilo. If you bought ten, maybe you were lucky with having one or two that worked well. the rest was for practising the service work...I had one that had the shutter # 240, that means it was from German parts. I painted it black and put a golden Lenin emblem on it. Sold it in Ebay, calling it " The commemorative Contax model for Soviet 50 year occupy of the Baltic countries" Like leica has these whatever commemorative models of this and that bridge...
Do I see some hate here? Keep the photography thing in, and leave your personal political traits outside.

Old 07-29-2013   #18
Rangefinderfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
Do I see some hate here? Keep the photography thing in, and leave your personal political traits outside.
It`s just a comment on Kiev quality. Hope the guy is happy after recieving the commie camera... We have a saying here that you should get a russki camera from the period ( 5 year plan) when the factory gets new lathe bits....

Old 07-29-2013   #19
oftheherd

Kiev's are fun cameras to use and give good results when in good shape. Fortunately, they are fairly easy to work on as well, if needed. I think you will like it.

Old 07-29-2013   #20
lukitas
second hand noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
Ah Nikos, you've just thrown your own personal political traits in the ring.

If you don't like discussing excrement, don't mention dung.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 07-29-2013   #21
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I have a Kiev 2, and a Kiev 4a from around 1981. The quality differences are subtle but noticeable. The Kiev 2 is a much smoother and better-built camera. The Contax DNA is readily apparent.

kyonthinh -- I'm sure you'll like your Kiev 2. It's a beautiful instrument and capable of making wonderful photos. Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2013   #22
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I had a late model Kiev briefly and couldn't believe how different it was to my early ll ... I'd only had it a couple of weeks and the shutter died! It showed signs of having had some pretty rough work done on it ... lots of damaged screws etc.

I bought my Kiev ll from fedka and it was advertised as having been CLAd by them ... they did a great job because it's as smooth as silk and the shutter appears to be very accurate.

Old 07-29-2013   #23
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukitas View Post
Ah Nikos, you've just thrown your own personal political traits in the ring.

If you don't like discussing excrement, don't mention dung.
No, its the other way around.Like myself the interest is in the camera, we could`nt give two .....s for the politics.Its clowns like yourself that insist on bringing it to every post around here. Get over it.

Old 07-30-2013   #24
David Murphy

waiting list for a Contax? What is that? There are millions of them out there and they are easy to have serviced if necessary. Worth doing IMO too.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 08-01-2013   #25
lukitas
second hand noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
No, its the other way around.Like myself the interest is in the camera, we could`nt give two .....s for the politics.Its clowns like yourself that insist on bringing it to every post around here. Get over it.
Thank you.

For describing me as a clown (which I may well be), and accusing me of bringing politics to 'every' thread. I didn't know my opinions are so 'political'.

If you don't like politics, don't discuss it. I don't, not here.

In the meantime, you just became the clown who put a match to the oil I was pouring to calm the waves. That makes both of us clowns.

Applause, please!

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 08-22-2013   #26
outfitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinderfreak View Post
It`s just a comment on Kiev quality. Hope the guy is happy after recieving the commie camera... We have a saying here that you should get a russki camera from the period ( 5 year plan) when the factory gets new lathe bits....
You should get a Kiev from the period when the German technicians were still supervising production (early to mid 1950s). After that the technicians had retired and their were few commies in the Soviet Union because the little guy had long since figured out the whole system didn't work - except for the party leaders.

Old 08-27-2013   #27
kyonthinh

Got it from Post yesterday. The seller shipped it late ( must wait 2 weeks, what did he do at that time? CLA it?). Then tracking number from DHL shows nothing, and the camera sat in Post for few days ( poor it ). I'm also very disappointed that it doesn't come with Yak hair package.
It's a little uglier than in picture, but still in very good shape. Shutter works well, highest speed is likely 1/700, slow speeds are very good, viewfinder is clean. I use my handheld light to check light leak and it is not there, so let's hope there is no light leak in reality. Just shot some pictures with it and it is a very fun camera to work with. The feeling in my hand is also good.

Old 08-27-2013   #28
Roger Hicks

[quote=newspaperguy;2185440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Wellllll

"... it's a great camera, but needs to rate second best to the fabulous and clunky Leningrad."

Sorry Dez...

My experiences with spring-wound cameras (Practina FX, Robot)
soured me completely on that whole concept. Not for me, Thanks.
Dear Rick,

Ah, you've not tried the Leningrad then? Compared with that, the Praktina and Robot ran like Leicas! Put it on a hard surface; set the self timer; and watch it jump when it goes off... Yes, I've had all three, and sold them for varying reasons: Robot, 24x24 format, Praktina, unique (but well designed) lens mount with limited choice, Leningrad, uneven frame spacing (it's designed that way) and a reputation for the chassis cracking if they were used much.

An early Kiev in good order is, in my experience, easily the best of the old Soviet cameras, but I still think it's needlessly complicated (as was the Contax). Later Kievs were, ummm... variable.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-27-2013   #29
newspaperguy

Professor Hicks stated, "Later Kievs were, ummm... variable"

Perhaps the kindest words ever used to describe them, Roger.

That said, I love my early Kiev II.

Old 08-27-2013   #30
Elmar Lang

Hello,

I consider myself as a Kiev-supporter (not a "fan" as "fanatic", since fanatism can induce to wrong thoughts...).

My very first "serious" camera, was a Kiev-4A made in 1968, bought in 1975, inspired by my grandfather's Contax-II. It was the only camera I could afford, due to the traditionally empty pockets of a schoolboy.

With it I've had lots of fine pictures (I mean well-exposed, in-focus images) and it still works perfectly, after thousands of shots.

This also started a collection (now, almost gone) of Kiev models, variations and accessories of which a few usable cameras are still here, f.e. the "1947" Kiev.

I use this type of cameras along with the Contax (pre- and postwar), with mixed Zeiss and Jupiter lenses.

I need to say that I enjoy to use them and the "Contax-Grip is not that difficult to get used to.

All the best,

E.L.

Old 08-27-2013   #31
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonthinh View Post

Got it from Post yesterday. The seller shipped it late ( must wait 2 weeks, what did he do at that time? CLA it?). Then tracking number from DHL shows nothing, and the camera sat in Post for few days ( poor it ). I'm also very disappointed that it doesn't come with Yak hair package.
It's a little uglier than in picture, but still in very good shape. Shutter works well, highest speed is likely 1/700, slow speeds are very good, viewfinder is clean. I use my handheld light to check light leak and it is not there, so let's hope there is no light leak in reality. Just shot some pictures with it and it is a very fun camera to work with. The feeling in my hand is also good.
My Kiev 4am had a light leak from the fitting (or not light-tight fitting) of the back. And as yours, no yak yarn.

I used a black yarn, kept in with a light coat of spray tak cement, with touch-up by black magic marker to make sure it stayed a flat black. Works well for me.

How's the lens and camera? I see the lens was made in 54, which should make it better if well enough treated.

Old 08-27-2013   #32
newspaperguy

Here's my 1956 Kiev with a "manly" strap of the same vintage.

Still a great shooter. (Comes complete with "Zeiss bumps" on the back.)

Hint for those with fumble fingers: Pre-focus, and never worry about the 'Contax Hold."

Last edited by newspaperguy : 08-27-2013 at 09:46. Reason: sp

Old 08-27-2013   #33
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspaperguy View Post
Here's my 1956 Kiev with a "manly" strap of the same vintage.

Still a great shooter. (Comes complete with "Zeiss bumps" on the back.)

Hint for those with fumble fingers: Pre-focus, and never worry about the 'Contax Hold."
Dear Rick,

Nah, that's a wimp strap. With overweight cameras, Real Men use excruciatingly uncomfortable thin straps. Or better still,1950s/1960s "snake chains" that pull out the tiny hairs on your neck as well.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-27-2013   #34
lrochfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Rick,

Nah, that's a wimp strap. With overweight cameras, Real Men use excruciatingly uncomfortable thin straps. Or better still,1950s/1960s "snake chains" that pull out the tiny hairs on your neck as well.

Cheers,

R.
That's half a haircut for free!

Old 08-27-2013   #35
Elmar Lang

I couldn't use my Kiev (or Contax RF) without the "snake chain" if carried out of its everready case!

Excruciatingly thin neck straps are part of the game... especially on a mountain hike during summer.

An alternative, is to carry the super-heavy case of a vintage, chinese "Seagull" wooden field camera, with the extra-case for its tripod: here's an example of what is capable, that example of deforestation: it's a gum-bichromate contact print from an Ilfolith negative.

Please excuse me for the off-topic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casa dell'Eremita.jpg (79.7 KB, 14 views)

Old 08-27-2013   #36
kyonthinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
My Kiev 4am had a light leak from the fitting (or not light-tight fitting) of the back. And as yours, no yak yarn.

I used a black yarn, kept in with a light coat of spray tak cement, with touch-up by black magic marker to make sure it stayed a flat black. Works well for me.

How's the lens and camera? I see the lens was made in 54, which should make it better if well enough treated.
The camera is serviced I think, it works well, smoothly and accurately.
Lens is clean, and I got this because of KMZ ( I always like KMZ more than another factories). Lens pics are coming soon.
Btw, the DHL guy knocked on my door again, for another Kiev 2A. This one is half broken, though , will go to Oleg soon. It's brother of newspaperguy's one

Pardon me for the bad picture coming from my phone, since I don't have any digital camera. Strange, I'm still young and what I have are cameras, which are older than my father.
@Elmar: feel free to do it. I'm still learning through people's experience.