Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

Unboxing of the DP2M ... sooo disappointing!
Old 03-31-2013   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Cool Unboxing of the DP2M ... sooo disappointing!

Plain white box with Sigma DP2M in red/black lettering ... box looks like post office issue ... robust, cheap!

Inside this box two brown cardboard boxes ... also robust ... look like re-cycled cardboard!

The smaller box contains a rectangular black lump known as the DPM2 ... in a bubble wrap envelope! The other contains the charger and leads etc. No fancy pull out drawers, no 'fitted' packaging at all ... just cardboard boxes and plastic bags to contain the little gem.

The manual is small and contains a minimum of information ... refreshing!

No software disc ... instructions to go to the Sigma web site and download it!

No page of congratulatory blurb telling me I've bought the best camera of it's type ever made ... welcome to the club ... details of the secret handshake ... etc etc! Simply ... "Thank you for purchasing the Sigma DP2 Merrill Digital Compact Camera."

*** ... I spend all this money and this is the best they can do?

Old 03-31-2013   #2
bogelgelbo
RF student

LOL, sometimes we do need some assurances from the manufacturer if we bought something with our hard earned money.

Old 03-31-2013   #3
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Get a grip, mate!

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-31-2013   #4
helenhill
Mod chasing Shadows Light

Well lets hope what You get out of the Camera will blow your Mind...

Old 03-31-2013   #5
ruby.monkey

Quote:
*** ... I spend all this money and this is the best they can do?
The buggers could at least have put a camera in the box.

Old 03-31-2013   #6
Sparrow

... video or it didn't happen

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 03-31-2013   #7
PaulW128

Keith;

I can understand how you feel. I hope when you actually start using the camera, your feelings improve.

I've been very interested in the DP2 & DP3, and i'm anxious to hear what you think of the camera.

Good luck
Paul

Old 03-31-2013   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW128 View Post
Keith;

I can understand how you feel. I hope when you actually start using the camera, your feelings improve.

I've been very interested in the DP2 & DP3, and i'm anxious to hear what you think of the camera.

Good luck
Paul

I love the way this camera came ... it represents all that attracted me to it in the first place. No bullsh!t ... just a brillliant sensor and lens combination with minimal everything else!

Old 03-31-2013   #9
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
OMG - what a whine - get out and use the camera!!

Unfortunately I have the small issue of the US style 110 volt plug on the charger and need an adapter ... and the shops don't open for another couple of days!

Old 03-31-2013   #10
angelog
formerly agianelo

This may start a new trend! As in the world of art.

Old 03-31-2013   #11
Sparrow

... I think irony has always been used in art

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 03-31-2013   #12
ray*j*gun

Kieth I have also been interested in this camera and look forward to reports on how it works for you. Please let us also know about workflow....

Old 03-31-2013   #13
Eric T

Keith,
Your purchase encouraged me to take the plunge on a Sigma DP2M as well. Mine arrives late this week.
Don't sweat the packaging. It just doesn't matter. I would rather see money be spent on sensor technology.
Surely you can find a neighbor who has international electrical adapters?
All the best,
Eric

Old 03-31-2013   #14
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Unfortunately I have the small issue of the US style 110 volt plug on the charger and need an adapter ... and the shops don't open for another couple of days!
This sounds like a genuine "Time Enough At Last" scenario, Mr. Bemis!

I am genuinely excited for you and your enthusiasm! I actually pulled out my box to review the packing contents!

Just a heads up in anticipation ... Computing power? I had to rather quickly upgrade mine to run the MASSIVE X3F files. I'll never forget running the increased resolution and loupe in the software for the first time. I am sure you won't either.

Old 03-31-2013   #15
PaulW128

Keith;

What made you chose the 2 over the 3? Was it the wider FOV? I'm very interested in the 2 and 3 and although the 2 is $200 cheaper now, it seems that each new model was an improvement over the previous one in terms of firmware updates/color accuracy, etc. At least that's what i've been reading lately. And this makes me leans towards the 3.

Best
Paul

Old 03-31-2013   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
Keith,
Your purchase encouraged me to take the plunge on a Sigma DP2M as well. Mine arrives late this week.
Don't sweat the packaging. It just doesn't matter. I would rather see money be spent on sensor technology.
Surely you can find a neighbor who has international electrical adapters?
All the best,
Eric

Gary's frequent postings in the Sigma threads and the threads he has personally started and supported went a long way to making me have a good look at what this camera can actually do ... rather than what it can't.

And I agree totally about the packaging ... I don't want that sort of gratis from a manufacturer.

Old 03-31-2013   #17
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulW128 View Post
Keith;

What made you chose the 2 over the 3? Was it the wider FOV? I'm very interested in the 2 and 3 and although the 2 is $200 cheaper now, it seems that each new model was an improvement over the previous one in terms of firmware updates/color accuracy, etc. At least that's what i've been reading lately. And this makes me leans towards the 3.

Best
Paul

The 75mm equivalent focal length would be very limiting IMO. I think Sigma will be expecting to sell the DP3Ms to people who already have the 1 or 2. If the DP2M really hits the spot I will definitely be considering the 3M at some stage ... especially if they drop the price as they have with the 2.

Old 03-31-2013   #18
froyd

Quote:
I love the way this camera came ... it represents all that attracted me to it in the first place. No bullsh!t ... just a brillliant sensor and lens combination with minimal everything else!
Agreed! Hopefully a sign that the the money saved in packaging went into product development as opposed to marketing.

Old 03-31-2013   #19
gilpen123
Gil

After the unboxing comes the testing, excited to see how this performs in your hands.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 03-31-2013   #20
giellaleafapmu

Quote:
The 75mm equivalent focal length would be very limiting IMO. I think Sigma will be expecting to sell the DP3Ms to people who already have the 1 or 2. If the DP2M really hits the spot I will definitely be considering the 3M at some stage ... especially if they drop the price as they have with the 2.
That's all relative, I have been attracetd for some time by the DP3 exactly for the 75mm equivalent focal length and its possible applications to portrait and table top product pictures. I think it is very nice that they didn't "just" made wide angle cameras.

GLF

Old 03-31-2013   #21
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
WTF ... I spend all this money and this is the best they can do?
You mean they didn't include a test photo of a random house with accompanying 100%, 200%, and 300% crops of a porch light?

The nerve...

Old 03-31-2013   #22
Monochrom

Hi Keith for what you´ve said i think i like the camera (and sigma) even more!!!

That´s what i expect from a sturdy piece of equipment!!!

cheers!

Old 03-31-2013   #23
Michael Markey

Remind me never to try irony here

Old 03-31-2013   #24
GaryLH

Quote:
Gary's frequent postings in the Sigma threads and the threads he has personally started and supported went a long way to making me have a good look at what this camera can actually do ... rather than what it can't.

And I agree totally about the packaging ... I don't want that sort of gratis from a manufacturer.
Thanks.. I hope u enjoy it... Too bad about the ac plug issue. As I remember, the battery were charged enough initially for about a dozen shots no problem, btw...

Gary

Old 03-31-2013   #25
ruby.monkey

Quote:
You don't have a couple of leads and a diesel generator out back?

Old 03-31-2013   #26
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Remind me never to try irony here
When I read the thread title... I was going what... And the I saw Keith as the op.... And I was suspicious. Lol..

Gary

Old 03-31-2013   #27
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
OMG - what a whine - get out and use the camera!!
------> The joke

--> Your head <--

Old 03-31-2013   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The good news is my son found an adapter in the jumble sale that he calls his room ... so the batteries are charged and ready for duty.

Sadly I have a few very busy days ahead of me and would prefer not to distract myself until I've finished my chores! I've decided my attitude to this camera should mirror Sigma's ... 'steady as she goes!' Taking an impulsive snap of something is all very well when you get a new camera but seriously, what does it achieve? I know it has a great IQ that will suit landscape and still life superbly and I'm content in that knowledge.

Old 03-31-2013   #29
pakeha

[quote=Keith;2108233]The good news is my son found an adapter in the jumble sale that he calls his room ...

..priceless...and now a stolen quote.

Old 03-31-2013   #30
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

This reminds me of small children who are more excited about the wrapper than the the present therein.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 03-31-2013   #31
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
This reminds me of small children who are more excited about the wrapper than the the present therein.

Surely you of all people aren't naive enough to think this is a serious thread and that I was actually miffed about the no frills packaging.

Or perhaps like many, you read the title, don't bother to read the actual thread and completely miss it's meaning?

Old 03-31-2013   #32
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
Surely you of all people aren't naive enough to think this is a serious thread and that I was actually miffed about the no frills packaging.

Oh hell yeah!

I want the packaging to be over the top for any costly electronic item I buy - in fact I buy Apple products more for the opening up sequence than I do the hardware! If a package costs $100 to make, Then I KNOW it's gonna be good!

ps, I'm jazzed that you got this camera, I want one myself. Maybe I can make my own super-cool box for it out of duct tape or something.

pps, I got it in your first post, but it's an interesting internet phenominon, doncha think?

Old 03-31-2013   #33
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
Oh hell yeah!

I want the packaging to be over the top for any costly electronic item I buy - in fact I buy Apple products more for the opening up sequence than I do the hardware! If a package costs $100 to make, Then I KNOW it's gonna be good!

ps, I'm jazzed that you got this camera, I want one myself. Maybe I can make my own super-cool box for it out of duct tape or something.

pps, I got it in your first post, but it's an interesting internet phenominon, doncha think?

How the hell could anyone (who's native language is english) not get it?

Where are the irony police when you need them!

Old 03-31-2013   #34
Chris101
summicronia

It's been repeatedly demonstrated that, except in rare cases, irony does not work for internet communications. It is funny though, so well worth the effort.

Old 03-31-2013   #35
mugent

I'm a film guy now, but when I did use digital, the Sigma (SD14 and 15) were the only cameras that gave me results I liked. They aren't flexible, can be flaky at times, but when they get it right, they are unbeatable. Hope you like the DP.

Old 03-31-2013   #36
Avotius
Some guy

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.............for that price your lucky they even included a box and did not just wrap it in duct tape and throw it at you!

Old 04-01-2013   #37
Sparrow

Camera manufacturers could learn a lot about packaging from watchmakers IMVHO ... fuji and apple both fall way short of what rolex and omega are doing, for the price of mechanical Seamaster you get a good quality glossy card outer box then a satin and velvet lined red kid-leather inner box ... and a little leather credit-card holder wallet with the guarantee in it ... not even Leica get close to that

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 04-01-2013   #38
btgc

Quote:
Plain white box with Sigma DP2M in red/black lettering ... box looks like post office issue ... robust, cheap!

Inside this box two brown cardboard boxes ... also robust ... look like re-cycled cardboard!
Did you expect to receive mahagony box with lining made of Chinese silk padded with fur of Siberian tiger and instructions hand written on finest leather?

This shows Sigma makes cameras for photographers....you know, there are people taking pictures and people toying with anniversary sets, people buying empty original box to complete camera kit and uploading unboxing videos. This means Sigma is not charging extra $$ for packaging and concentrates on camera - which is product you paid for. Non-photographing gear-o-holics still have plenty of choices to massage their ego.

Old 04-01-2013   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Did you expect to receive mahagony box with lining made of Chinese silk padded with fur of Siberian tiger and instructions hand written on finest leather?

This shows Sigma makes cameras for photographers....you know, there are people taking pictures and people toying with anniversary sets, people buying empty original box to complete camera kit and uploading unboxing videos. This means Sigma is not charging extra $$ for packaging and concentrates on camera - which is product you paid for. Non-photographing gear-o-holics still have plenty of choices to massage their ego.

So you're suggesting that my white Sigma box will be worth very little on eBay in the future then?

Old 04-01-2013   #40
Nigel Meaby

Yep Sigma and any other company that keeps packaging to a minimum have to be applauded. After all "the box don't take the pictures".....it's the box inside the box, with the lens attached that does that