Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

ever just feel overwhelmed?
Old 01-04-2013   #1
back alley
IMAGES

ever just feel overwhelmed?

...over new gear, the non-stop improvements in the technology, the desire for all the new, the latest and the greatest...the never ending demand on the budget?

do you ever feel like your gear is just old now and out of date even though it was the 'best' about 6 months ago?

if one had deep pockets it might be easy to cope better but needing to sell one to buy another feels stressful especially if one likes new toys!

how do you cope? or is it a non prob for you?

Old 01-04-2013   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

You should have stuck to the Canon P and a roll of film Joe.
Those two never become out of date.

Old 01-04-2013   #3
ruby.monkey

It's not a problem now that I've finally realised that any camera I touch is capable of far higher quality imaging than I will ever need. It helps that I already have a number of cameras that are an absolute joy to use.

Old 01-04-2013   #4
thegman

Non prob.

I used to concern myself with gear more than I do now, but I realised the interests of camera companies and my interests are not aligned.

I also used to think that new "stuff" was great, all the new toys etc. I still do to an extent, I like a new camera as much as the next man, but I now think a lot more about photos than gear.

As you're committed to digital, not film, then it's trickier to overlook the changes in technology and feel it's the magic bullet. However, just remember that newer is not necessarily better, and even if it is, is the improvement worth having?

I almost never recommend books, but if you've not read it, I think Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is an interesting read and covers the role of technology in our lives.

Old 01-04-2013   #5
Jamie123

Every time I order film I'm overwhelmed by the cost of it but otherwise I'm fine.

Old 01-04-2013   #6
aad
Not so new now.

Somewhere I realised that regardless of camera my pictures look like my pictures.

Old 01-04-2013   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

It's been a non problem for me. Both because I only buy stuff when I can afford to, and because most of the "new" gear I've bought in the past year is simple and/or "old" anyway.

I don't care much whether what I have is "old" or the "latest and greatest". I only care that it works the way I want and produces results I like.

Looking forward to a fine year ahead using all the great cameras I bought last year. :-)

G

Old 01-04-2013   #8
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Joe: simply not a problem for me. I think about the photos I make not cameras I use. The only camera that I have owned in the last 12 years that was currently being built was the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder and apparently it is now out of production.

Old 01-04-2013   #9
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

The best cameras were made 40 years ago. "Trading up" is for chumps.

Make that your mantra and experience existential photographic bliss.

Old 01-04-2013   #10
Roger Hicks

Certainly not for decades, Probably never (can't remember). Like others, I buy what I can afford and recognize that for the most part it'll only make my pictures easier, not better.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-04-2013   #11
Benjamin Marks

I focus on making pictures. I have got to tell you, I bought a D3 when it came out and it is still producing fabulous pictures. The key is that it was over some threshold in terms of IQ. I didn't feel that way about the Canon Rebel or the Epson RD-1. But for now, I'm kinda there. And it took a lot to get there, but I am now actually looking backw ards. The upside, if there is one, of the short product cycle is that eventually a great camera like the Olympus EP-2 is available for $200.

Joe: give yourself three photo assignments. I dunno: 10 good pictures of ice; 10 good photographs (as in: different and interesting compositions) of an egg; 10 good portraits of people you don't know. Or pick a topic near to your heart. Once you focus on creating, you can take a break from acquiring.

Old 01-04-2013   #12
zauhar

I need to make a better, dedicated darkroom, and get a better enlarger. Other than that, I'm good.

There's always this voice saying "You gotta get a digital camera", but I am chalking that up to peer pressure.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 01-04-2013   #13
NeeZee

desire for the new? not really. the latest? nah. the greatest? yes sir, but I already own a IIIf

Old 01-04-2013   #14
Pastor Chris

My main camera is a Leica M8. Over the past few months I have been able to borrow an M9 for about three weeks and a Monochrom for a similar amount of time. While they were impressive, they are both quite out of reach for me and simply made me appreciate my M8 all the more. I'm glad that I am of simpler means because I don't have to worry about the constant need to upgrade. These experiences were helpful though in helping me appreciate what I have. Upon returning the Monochrom, I left my M8 at Leica for a full service that also gives a 1 year warranty on the whole camera; a good investment in a long-term relationship with a fantastic camera. Now to look for another perfect bag!
50mm Summicron type IV

http://www.lightstalkers.org/christopher-scrivens

"When people meet, their greatest task is to understand one another." - Cornel West

Old 01-04-2013   #15
back alley
IMAGES

i'm not talking about 'better' images here...not talking about pics at all...talking about the gear only.
i am dedicated to digital so referencing film to me is pointless. i accept new tech easily and have no ties to the mechanical past just because it was part of my past. for all those who spout it's all about the image...is it to you? as it seems to me that you are the ones that make it more about the gear than i do...as long as it has no battery and uses film...sound familiar?
not looking for an argument here...just frustrated at the same tech that i like...and it's ever changingness.

Old 01-04-2013   #16
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

No, I long ago gave up on having new or cutting edge gear. Its simply too expensive, even relatively crappy new cameras costs astounding sums of money.

I do often feel overwhelmed, but not because of photography.

Old 01-04-2013   #17
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
I focus on making pictures. I have got to tell you, I bought a D3 when it came out and it is still producing fabulous pictures. The key is that it was over some threshold in terms of IQ. I didn't feel that way about the Canon Rebel or the Epson RD-1. But for now, I'm kinda there. And it took a lot to get there, but I am now actually looking backw ards. The upside, if there is one, of the short product cycle is that eventually a great camera like the Olympus EP-2 is available for $200.

Joe: give yourself three photo assignments. I dunno: 10 good pictures of ice; 10 good photographs (as in: different and interesting compositions) of an egg; 10 good portraits of people you don't know. Or pick a topic near to your heart. Once you focus on creating, you can take a break from acquiring.

very good advice for me!

Old 01-04-2013   #18
Gid

I'm more uninspired than overwhelmed. The last new camera I bought was the X100. I've not seen / heard of anything new that is compelling enough to make me want to part with any serious money. I don't need any more pixels or much more than OK performance at ISO 1600 - I rarely shoot much above ISO 400 in any case. My 8/9 year old Olympus E1 is good enough for anything that I do - I'm not a pro and have no desire to be so. I haven't avoided GAS in spite of a valiant attempt, but have concentrated on relatively inexpensive equipment that doesn't have much value to lose or can be switched out without much loss and I get at least as much pleasure from this as I did when I bought the latest and greatest. I'm not done, but close to done chasing new stuff and it is a great relief and quite peaceful

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 01-04-2013   #19
v_roma

I know what exactly what you mean, Joe. But I am at the point that I simply cannot afford the newest thing so I suppose that's a solution to the problem. I have a D700 and am content with the image quality it produces and all other aspects of the camera, except size. I would also be content with shooting Portra400 and TriX and having it scanned and developed at this one lab, which happens to be too expensive for everyday shooting. I would like to think that if I had an XE-1 or OM-D as the smaller, take everywhere camera, I'd be content with that as well and would cure gas for the foreseeable future. But, if I am honest with myself (and judging by my reaction to the recent X100s rumors), I probably wouldn't... No solutions here, I guess. Let me know if you figure it out!

EDIT: I do agree with Benjamin's advice as well. I have found that having a photo project (or just time for shooting these days would be nice) does help keep the GAS at bay.

Old 01-04-2013   #20
NeeZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i'm not talking about 'better' images here...not talking about pics at all...talking about the gear only.
i am dedicated to digital so referencing film to me is pointless. i accept new tech easily and have no ties to the mechanical past just because it was part of my past. for all those who spout it's all about the image...is it to you? as it seems to me that you are the ones that make it more about the gear than i do...as long as it has no battery and uses film...sound familiar?
not looking for an argument here...just frustrated at the same tech that i like...and it's ever changingness.
No need to get defensive here. You asked if we feel the same as you and some of us - like myself - said no, because we are happy with our old film cameras. That's it.

Old 01-04-2013   #21
btgc

After lusting for Sigma DSLR (which I don't need) I used elder Polaroid x530 with [small] Foveon sensor and zoom lens. It delivers X3F files and has something from THAT charm I know from Sigma DP.

Recently I used film SLR outfit with a longish zoom and flash grip. 36 exposures, covered two swims in a pool. Cheap as a chips, not worried by chlorine or moisture, didn't babied it and enjoyed process. Got one keeper to print.

Few days ago attached two flashes to a digital compact (8 years old) and realized it's not hard to get portraits looking very different from usual look. Dark winter evenings are too good to pass on this.

I have enough toys to keep me busy. Instead of lusting for gear I will edit and print more.

Old 01-04-2013   #22
daveleo
what?

I am a "late adopter" they say. I buy stuff one or two generations behind the leading edge. Any APS size camera these days is better than me (although I claim to be better than some of the available lenses), so it comes down to "handle-ability" and simplicity of operation.

EDIT: I feel overwhelmed when a friend or family person asks me "What camera should I buy?" (and they look at me as if I had a clue) . . . Buying a camera for myself is much easier than that.

Old 01-04-2013   #23
5:00 PM
It's a light machine

Virtually nothing you can buy today is going to become truly obsolete. Post-2006 in digital and perhaps post-1996 in film (or maybe post-1954 in film, if you're a purist), "obsolescence" has been a flimsy excuse for buying newer gear.

This morning I had a reason to compare two shots of the same subject, the Neptune Pool at Hearst Castle, both taken on the same day at nearly the same time, one taken with one of my workhorse Nikon D40 DSLRs (a low-end, 6MP camera introduced in November 2006), the other with a brand new D600 ($2100, now returned due to Nikon's crappy QC). On a calibrated monitor or in a print up to 16x20 or so, NOBODY could tell which image came from which camera. Nobody here, nobody anywhere. That's just reality: for at least the past five years, digital obsolescence has been a scam, pure and simple. There are all kinds of reasons to choose a new camera, but real-world IQ is not even relevant at this point.

So yeah, focus on making pictures. Personally, I can't wait until my Canon P gets back from the shop.

Hmm - a joke
Old 01-04-2013   #24
ferider

Hmm - a joke

This beautiful young couple is getting married. Both in their early 20s, pretty and handsome, a great match .... He is an RFF member.
The day after the wedding, the new wife meets a friend. The bride looks exhausted. Knowingly, her friend smiles and asks about the wedding night.
"Must have been great ?", she asked.
The bride gets upset, starts to cry.
"What's the matter", asks her friend, "this should be the best day of your life ?"
The bride, weeping: "after we turned in last night, I undressed, went to bed, asked him how he was."
"And then ?"
"And then, throughout the whole night, sitting on the corner of the bed, still dressed, he was telling me how great our marriage would be."

-------

Roland.

PS: he was exhausted, too.

Old 01-04-2013   #25
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeZee View Post
No need to get defensive here. You asked if we feel the same as you and some of us - like myself - said no, because we are happy with our old film cameras. That's it.
sorry...not really feeling defensive...

Old 01-04-2013   #26
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

no prob, films and large format are enough hobby, maybe one more digital m.

Old 01-04-2013   #27
Richard G

1977 M2.....1996 M6...2008-2012, using M6 mostly, with M2 and out of curiosity, and nostalgia, an M5. An X100 in 2011. An M9 in 2012. Stop. I like the Monochrom very much but will not get it. The new M doesn't interest me. It will take more than 10 years - understatement - for my M9 to become as 'obselete' as any of my film Ms, my favourite of which is 54 years old. So, No.

Old 01-04-2013   #28
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

If I didn't spend all my money on mortgage, fuel, and food every month then, yes maybe. As it is I do get really excited about some of the stuff coming out.

Old 01-04-2013   #29
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Not really. Having been in the computer industry for many years, the march of technology moves on. Sometimes I keep up with it, by choice, sometimes not. If the tech (gear) does the job I need it to, that's all that matters. The photo industry is nothing but a subset of the computer industry now, so it's not been a difficult transition.
it's only cameras for me...i have an old macbook and it does what i need...no desire to upgrade.
i buy a new watch, a good watch, about every 20 years...
my car is a 2004...

it's only the bloody cameras...

Old 01-04-2013   #30
zuiko85

No. The type of person who would join Rangefinder Forum might be a gear head, but the lust would be for older film cameras and lenses. And for some of us (I'm looking in a mirror right now) we already have far more cameras than talent.

Old 01-04-2013   #31
lukitas
second hand noob

A very good way of putting it : overwhelmed.
A long time ago, I worked professionally, using large, medium and small format camera's. I dropped out of camera work by the time the F4 was doing wonders, and I wanted one, but I never got it. Had an f2, a mint nikkormat, my most beloved (and first) camera : a Hasselblad 500C with a chrome 80 planar, and I just loved fiddling with the Sinar and the Technica. The momentousness of taking a shot on 4x5 film is a beautiful experience in itself.
And then I dropped out and digital happened in between.
When I got the ganas back, I started looking at what was on offer, and felt a bit like the prisoner, who after a 20 year sentence, discovered escalators, couldn't stop riding 'em because of the novelty.
One thing became very clear, for a guy like me, the only camera worth having is a digital leica M. And the M8 doesn't qualify. Has to be full frame, so I can use the focal lengths I already know for what they are.
I am not a fanboy, au contraire. Proud of toting a fed2 with a jupiter8.
But the only digital camera worth having is the unpayable one. The one that would condemn me to ten year's servitude to a savings account, or worse, a luxury car worth of debt.
So yes, I am overwhelmed. Leica's were always expensive, but when I was young, they weren't worse than hasselblad, nikon and canon were cheaper, but not all that much. Now i sometimes feel that those incredibly kitschy shutter buttons and hot shoe covers, that were referenced in a recent post, are actually exactly right for what Leica seems to try to become : toys and 'man-jewelry' for very, very, rich people.
And still, the only new camera I really want is an M9, or a Monochrom, or an M240 and a couple of summicrons. Overwhelmed indeed.

Last edited by lukitas : 01-04-2013 at 14:59. Reason: grammar

Old 01-04-2013   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
do you ever feel like your gear is just old now and out of date even though it was the 'best' about 6 months ago?
No. There are so few cameras that appeal to me I usually am using what I think is the best for me (one is a 6 year old digital). I have to admit that I want the Fujifilm X100s (as an upgrade to the X100 I already have) even though I don't really know what it is yet (rumors). I don't feel bad though... the X100's a special camera IMO.

Old 01-04-2013   #33
Paulbe

joe--great question--great pondering by all.
Recently took an F2 to New Orleans and walked about.
Had Tri-X loaded. Jumpy meter and all, was pleased with the results.
Digital was used for snaps from the tour bus.
Something about the old stuff makes you slow down.
Loved it!
Will do it again. The F2, that is.
Paul

Old 01-04-2013   #34
it'sawhat?

Joe , no not in the least bit. I've settled on what for me works great a 35m body with a 50mm and 135mm lens and a pentax 645 with the 75 and 150 mm. I don't need or want more or less. I don't shoot wides but IF I ever do I know which lens I'll get the 55mm for the 645.

Old 01-04-2013   #35
pakeha

no, not for anything..technology,audio,cars, everything. Stop looking untill you need something - and the key word is NEED.We [anglos] have been conditioned to WANT.

Old 01-04-2013   #36
larmarv916

Well...in the old days, big brand cameras were "instruments" that all came from Germany for the most part. Film was getting better every year, lenses were getting better every year and idea that either could become outdated was unthinkable. Now German cameras have fallen behind or gone out of business. Japanese camera giants are now under direct attack by the "Smart Phone" industry. Film is now fading into history...love it as we do.

I remember when if I wanted a 1 GIG hard on my state of the art Apple, with the first color monitor they made it would cost me over $1000 ! just for the Hard Drive.

Now the flash memory cards are priced at the cost of about $1-2 per GIG and sold everywhere at deeper discounts everyday....no more wet labs.

Yes the acceleration of technology is only getting faster every day. Are we there yet?

Old 01-04-2013   #37
sreed2006

No, I still haven't figured out totally (or am unable to remember) what all the buttons do on the Canon 5D Mark II that I bought some years ago. So that keeps me happy for the time being, exploring the different kinds of pictures I can get out of it. There is a lot to know and remember, and I find that part of it sometimes overwhelming, such as when the modes and settings have to be changed quickly or the chance is gone forever.

Lately, though, I've been busy shooting film. I often wonder just how deep that rabbit hole goes. It seems like, with just film and manual cameras, that there's a lifetime's worth of knowledge to acquire even if one studied and practiced day and night. There's not as many buttons on the cameras, but just look at all that can be done with the old technology. It's pretty amazing.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 01-04-2013   #38
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
...over new gear, the non-stop improvements in the technology, the desire for all the new, the latest and the greatest...the never ending demand on the budget?

if one had deep pockets it might be easy to cope better but needing to sell one to buy another feels stressful especially if one likes new toys!

how do you cope? or is it a non prob for you?
a non-problem, thankfully.

Old 01-04-2013   #39
FrankS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
No...

...I've been busy shooting film. I often wonder just how deep that rabbit hole goes. It seems like, with just film and manual cameras, that there's a lifetime's worth of knowledge to acquire even if one studied and practiced day and night. There's not as many buttons on the cameras, but just look at all that can be done with the old technology. It's pretty amazing.
This is how I feel. I've been doing film photography for more than 30 years and feel like I've just scratched the surface.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-04-2013   #40
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcphoto View Post
Must be nice being a moderator here; you get to start the most inane threads and not get called out for it! I thought I read one of your recent previous threads saying you were finally settled on your gear? Will that latest microwave oven really make your Ramen Noodles taste any better? I doubt it.
inane...i am hurt...not really.
its not about microwave ovens...you didn't read all my posts, did you?

clearly my tongue is in my cheek for some of my threads...but there is a germ of truth and i think universal truth in much of what i write.
or maybe not...