Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What film camera should I get next?
Old 06-21-2019   #1
giganova

What film camera should I get next?

My camera collection is growing steadily ... love them all:
  • M4 with a 50/2 Rigid -- the setup I use most of the time. Lovely!
  • M4 with a 21/3.4 Super Angulon -- when I need a wider field of view.
  • Mamiya RZ67 with a number of lenses -- for portraits and landscapes, when I have time and want more definition. People think I'm a real photographer when I schlep that thing around on my 30 pounds Gitzo tripod!
  • Minox 35 GT-E and ML -- wonderful lenses and true "stealth" cameras for street photography because they fit into the palm of your hand. I have four of them, that's how good they are!
  • Olympus MJU II -- tiny wonder with an amazing 35/2.8 lens, but I would love it more if it wasn't so noisy when it advances the film and swallow the film lead when it winds back.
  • Nikon F3 with a 50/1.4 AI-S lens -- I simply cannot warm up to this camera, not my thing. I don't care for the digital exposure display which is hard to see, the loud shutter noise, the rough cocking, and that 50/1.4 lens is too soft for me wide open. Meek.
  • Nikon FM2 -- would love it more if it didn't have such a horrible shutter noise and a needle meter instead of 3-LEDs.
  • Nikon One Touch 35/2.8 and a Fuji Instax -- to pass around at weddings and parties, pure plastic fun for everyone.
  • Fuji X-T3 -- yes, I have a digital camera, don't hit me. My excuse is that its for family photos.
My first camera was a Leica R4 that I loved to death ... literally, until it died on me. The replacement R4 died on my, too, as well as the replacement-of-the-replacement R4. Maybe I should get a full mechanical R6?

The Makina 67 is tempting. What's not to love about a 6x7 camera in such a relatively small format?

I almost bought a Hasselblad ... but that 6x6 format is not for me.

Shall I consolidate, sell some of the cameras and get what I always wanted, a Leica M-A (= a shiny new M4)? I have a feeling that Leica will soon discontinue it, so maybe now's a good time to get one?

How shall I continue my journey to film camera nirvana and what should I add? Help that poor soul find a new toy! Unconventional ideas are more than welcome!

Below, just for fun, a picture from the first two rolls of film that I ever took (Leica R4).

Russian school boy on a bus, Red Square Moscow 1984:

Russian wedding limousine, Red Square Moscow 1984: (Note: this is the only color photo you will ever see me posting!)

(sorry about the JPG compression artifacts)

Old 06-21-2019   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Wrong statement. "What camera should I get rid of next" is correct.
At least this is what I'm asking myself if I have more than ten cameras.

Old 06-21-2019   #3
Crazy Fedya

I think you should add either a Veriwide 100, or a Wideluxe. Both are wonderful cameras. Widelux compliments any Leica with any lens on it. Veriwide 100 compliments any medium format camera.
My opinion.

Old 06-21-2019   #4
Rayt

Hasselblad SWC

Old 06-21-2019   #5
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Get an Exa, with a WLF. Change your way of seeing, of doing, grow through a new experience.

Old 06-21-2019   #6
dourbalistar

If you truly want to reach film camera nirvana, you need a camera that has all the features possible. You know, one with everything.

flickr

Old 06-21-2019   #7
Benjamin Marks

No, no, no, son. You want to go larger. Why duplicate capabilities that you already have?

You want a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder. Fixed lens. Film real estate the size of Texas compared to those little negs you're using. Same film ratio as 35mm . . . but BIIIIIG. So there you go. That's your next camera.

Alternate? Crown Graphic with a 135 Opton and a Grafmatic sheet film holder. Get the rangefinder aligned and shoot like a real man.

OK. Back to our regularly scheduled programming . . ..

Old 06-21-2019   #8
Oren Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
How shall I continue my journey to film camera nirvana and what should I add? Help that poor soul find a new toy! Unconventional ideas are more than welcome!
Well, if you put it that way: you haven't really tried photography until you've used a large format camera.

And if you truly want to experience something different from what you're used to, don't futz around with 4x5, either. Go directly to whole plate or 8x10 and make contact prints.

Old 06-21-2019   #9
Huss

Definitely buy my spare R-E. Works perfectly, just don't need two..

Speaking of your Minoxs, ever had a reliability issue with them? Read so many of them have shutter issues.

Old 06-21-2019   #10
Huss

Or my beautiful black paint ('custom') Kiev 4AM. Awesome lens with the bonus of a possible light leak every 3rd exposure!
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168815

Old 06-21-2019   #11
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Speaking of your Minoxs, ever had a reliability issue with them? Read so many of them have shutter issues.
Yes, I bought maybe ten or so over the past two years (all advertised as in "mint condition" and fully functional), returned the ones that had shutter issues and kept four that worked because I know they will eventually die one after another. The exposure is off by two stops for two of the four and I compensate with the ISO setting. But the lenses are really good and the tiny cameras are so much fun. Here's a picture I took a few days ago:

Here's a blowup of the light fixture at the top:

Old 06-21-2019   #12
phaedrus

I second the idea of getting a Leica M-A as long as they make them. It is the unassuming star in my camera collection, too. Just yesterday, a in-the-know guest at a birthday party I shot at mistook it for a Leica M10-D. Not so, sir, it really loads film!

Old 06-21-2019   #13
giganova

This was taken with the Olympus MJU II. I am posting the pictures because I find it funny.

Old 06-21-2019   #14
Huss

Quote:
This was taken with the Olympus MJU II. I am posting the pictures because I find it funny.

Was he going to steal that tomato?

Old 06-21-2019   #15
kxl
Social Documentary

A Texas Leica

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 06-21-2019   #16
giganova

Regarding MF or LF:

Isn't analogue photography all about embracing the flaws of film and the beauty of grain? If I wanted tack sharp photos, wide tonality and great resolution, I would buy a 47Mpix Leica Q2 which gives me all of the above plus mobility and being able to react quickly. I find it hard capturing "the moment" with my RZ67 because it is simply too slow, I always seem to run out of film when something interesting happens (despite three 120 backs) or I simply don't have that monster with me (weight/size) when I should have taken a camera. Don't get me wrong, I am able to create beautiful pictures with my RZ67, but all my best photos have been taken with 35mm cameras because I was able to react quickly to interesting events. I am therefore reluctant to embrace MF or LF, unless I give my creative art a completely new direction towards more static objects (e.g., landscapes, buildings, portraits). The above reasons are why I am loving these tiny point & shoot cameras because they are with me all the time and are almost invisible.

Old 06-21-2019   #17
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Was he going to steal that tomato?
Haha, no: he looked at me ... and looked at me ... and when he realized that this tiny thing in my hand that was pointing at him was a camera (Minox), he freaked out, jumped and ran away!

Old 06-21-2019   #18
Contarama

I would go for a pentax k lens based hybrid system...something like a k1 digital and a MX or lx or something...now go figure why I said that...

Old 06-21-2019   #19
benlees

Fuji GA645. But then you'll realize you don't need the others.

Old 06-21-2019   #20
lynnb

Stefanjozef on this forum does great street work with a Contax G1 and 28 Biogon, 45 Planar and 90mm Sonnar lenses - see the RFF Gallery. See also his Flickr galleries here and here.

He also uses a GA645zi and a Texas Leica - and a few others.

Have you tried an XA or XA4? I'd suggest a Rollei 35S but the XAs exposure systems are faster than the manual Rolleis if you're in constantly changing light. The 35S has a nicer lens, though.
Flickr

Old 06-21-2019   #21
CMur12

Personally, I have never thought analogue photography was about the "beauty of grain." Street photographers often have to work in lower light, often favor higher shutter speeds, and have had to use faster, grainier film, so they have essentially been forced to find beauty in grain. I have always shot fine-grained film and I shoot mainly medium format. (I'm don't do street photography.)

The most mobile medium format cameras in 6x7 would be the RFs, so Mamiya 7/7II, Fuji GW670i/ii/iii, or the Makina 67.

Moving up to 6x9: Fuji GW690i/ii/iii (normal lens, I think 90mm) or GSW690i/ii/iii (65mm f5.6 wide angle lens, equivalent to 28mm in 135 format).

- Murray

Old 06-21-2019   #22
oftheherd

Second (third) the idea of trying a large format. For something different you might want to make it a 9x12 folder. Surprisingly there are still some good ones around at decent prices.

Old 06-21-2019   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

There is something about the classic Voigtländers. The best are really well made and finished. If you can get on with the unorthodox film advance and thumb wheel focus a folding Vitessa with 50mm Ultron is rather special. For SLRs if you are open to something really different a classic Exakta comes to mind. So do ALPAs albeit at a higher price point in most cases.
Cheers
Brett

Old 06-22-2019   #24
maitani

a Bessa 667 or 667w (or the fuji equivalents to them)

6x7 and 6x6 in one package
stunning lens
whisper silent shutter
a moder day makina easy to use as a Leica M7

Old 06-22-2019   #25
FujiLove

I’d suggest an Xpan. A completely different way of seeing and composing. No, not cheap, but worth every penny. Easy to carry all day. Exceptional lenses. Superb build quality. It’s the camera I find most inspiring and the one that produces the most ‘keepers’ for me.

Old 06-22-2019   #26
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hmmm, why not buy the next one you see at under (say) US$5 ? You might get a pleasant surprise...

Regards, David

PS And don't touch analogue cameras, stick to film ones.

Old 06-22-2019   #27
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
...I am loving these tiny point & shoot cameras because they are with me all the time and are almost invisible.
Then maybe you should truly embrace "tiny" and get either a Minox C or LX or, if lens options are important, a Pentax Auto 110.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 06-22-2019   #28
leicapixie

Regarding your F3, yours need a major service..
The rough winding! Yikes! I NEVER know if mine is winding film.
It is so smooth! THe noise more than my early F Nippon Kogaku.
Having an RB that's noise.

Truth tell, i have more than 10 cameras and love most of them..
Do self favor and maybe shoot Leica one year, no extra lenses, just film.
The F3 and FE use on a similar project, thus knowing your beasts..

Old 06-22-2019   #29
retinax

You seem to have all you need. But if you're looking for something to own just because it's so nice, I suggest a Contax I or II. Some of the most beautiful cameras IMHO, especially the I. They just all need their shutters rebuilt... but that's still fairly affordable compared to new Leicas.

Old 06-22-2019   #30
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Adding to your collection...

Have some crazy inexpensive Fun, Get a Holga
Adds a different Atmospheric dimension to what You have
and You are never quite sure what that’Holga’ will do

Old 06-22-2019   #31
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Adore your Russian Schoolboy & Camera ShyTomato Thieff Photos ~

Old 06-22-2019   #32
ktmrider

Nikonos! You are limited in that you cannot take photos under 75% of the earths surface.

Old 06-22-2019   #33
maryland_fotos

Makina 67. A very much walkaround medium format camera for your street scenes in DC! It has a couple quirks but otherwise is a very satisfying experience.

Old 06-22-2019   #34
steveyork

Got to try an M3 at least once in your life! Uniquely different from your M4, but yet so similar.

Old 06-22-2019   #35
zuiko85

You’re always running out of film you say.
One word; half-frame.
Get a Olympus Pen D (or D2 or D3), or perhaps an original Pen (limited shutter speeds, a 4 element scale focusing 28mm f3.5 (FOV about a 40mm on FF).
A Pen F is nice, if a bit loud, but better focusing screen than FT or FV (it’s all matte).
At least 72 exposures on a 36 exp roll and with modern T grain films the 1.33X enlargement factor is less an issue than it used to be.
The leaf shutter Pen’s are very soft sounding for shutter release and wind on.
The 6 element 32mm f 1.9 lens of the Pen D is very good, and the 43mm filter size is easy to find accessories for.

Old 06-22-2019   #36
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

Quote:

How shall I continue my journey to film camera nirvana and what should I add?
I like the way you phrased that, it made me think. Also about my own journey. Here are my two cents:

If by "continuing your journey to film camera nirvana" you mean ever expanding your camera collection, either because you just love the unique sensorial experience different cameras give or the way each tool influences your way of doing photography, then whatever you don't already have may be worth trying. My suggestion in this case is get a pinhole camera. It's a whole different world from the cameras you have.

If, on the contrary, by "journey to camera nirvana" you mean reaching a state where you've broken the circle of "reincarnation" (read: buying and selling, buying and selling..), having realised that it only causes dissatisfaction with what you have, frustration and furthermore takes your focus away from what really counts (photography, and life), then the first suggestion you got, above, gives the best advice. Simplify, declutter.

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 06-22-2019   #37
Jerevan
Recycled User

There is a bunch of format overlapping in your list, with so many 35 mm cameras. Let go of the F3 (rough winding? Must be something wrong with it, seriously), the FM2 and one of the M4 cameras. Four of the Minox? - well, they break or malfunction easily, but still ...

If you want to expand your vision, try large format, like an Intrepid or maybe you can borrow something? Pinhole makes sense too, since it is at the other end of "capture the moment". With both of these variations, I tend to really "be there", in a very different way compared to winding and snapping off shot after shot.

Or pack everything up except one camera and do a project with that one instead. Limitations can be liberating.

EDIT: Reading your comment on MF/LF - well, then keep to 35 mm and get rid of anything that slows you down or disturbs the flow of capturing moments.

Old 06-22-2019   #38
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
There is a bunch of format overlapping in your list, with so many 35 mm cameras. Let go of the F3 (rough winding? Must be something wrong with it, seriously), the FM2 and one of the M4 cameras. Four of the Minox? - well, they break or malfunction easily, but still ...

If you want to expand your vision, try large format, like an Intrepid or maybe you can borrow something? Pinhole makes sense too, since it is at the other end of "capture the moment". With both of these variations, I tend to really "be there", in a very different way compared to winding and snapping off shot after shot.

Or pack everything up except one camera and do a project with that one instead. Limitations can be liberating.

EDIT: Reading your comment on MF/LF - well, then keep to 35 mm and get rid of anything that slows you down or disturbs the flow of capturing moments.

Got to agree; so a different SLR and you have a small pocket camera or two and a RF etc. Those three should cover everything...

Regards, David

Old 06-22-2019   #39
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Regarding MF or LF:

Isn't analogue photography all about embracing the flaws of film and the beauty of grain? If I wanted tack sharp photos, wide tonality and great resolution, I would buy a 47Mpix Leica Q2 which gives me all of the above plus mobility and being able to react quickly. I find it hard capturing "the moment" with my RZ67 because it is simply too slow, I always seem to run out of film when something interesting happens (despite three 120 backs) or I simply don't have that monster with me (weight/size) when I should have taken a camera. Don't get me wrong, I am able to create beautiful pictures with my RZ67, but all my best photos have been taken with 35mm cameras because I was able to react quickly to interesting events. I am therefore reluctant to embrace MF or LF, unless I give my creative art a completely new direction towards more static objects (e.g., landscapes, buildings, portraits). The above reasons are why I am loving these tiny point & shoot cameras because they are with me all the time and are almost invisible.

A lot of using MF to get interesting candid shots is learning to anticipate an interesting scene. And let's be honest, if you're "reacting" to an interesting situation, you're already too late for the best shot.

Tourists by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Tokyo Night (remix) by Berang Berang, on Flickr

lake by Berang Berang, on Flickr

All of the above were taken with the very primitive Pilot 6 cameras in my collection. It has no automation of any sort. No automatic aperture stop down, no instant return mirror, no auto film stop, etc. etc. One must survey the scene and anticipate where people are going to be, and what they're going to do. In all three instances (and many more not shown) I observed what people were doing in the scene, preset the camera, then waited for the interesting moment to occur.

However, I'll second the advice of getting a Holga. Set it, and forget it. Go out and get snapshots on medium format.

Old 06-22-2019   #40
aizan

This is what I’d do. Sell and buy things until you end up with this:

Leica M-A
Your Minoxes
Leica R6 or some other 35mm SLR

Mamiya RZ67

Nikon One Touch
Fuji Instax
Polaroid OneStep 2 or Fujifilm SQ6

A toy camera
A panoramic camera