Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 06-07-2018   #41
YouAreHere

I was gifted one by a non-photographer friend but have never worn it. There's more storage capacity then is ever warranted. A single pants or shirt pocket is all I need.

Old 06-07-2018   #42
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post

What was the vest that Tom A. wore? I don't think it was a photo vest, but something from an outdoor outfitter.
I have been wondering about that myself.

Old 06-07-2018   #43
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Same goes for the Tilley hat. Not for the vainglorious but these hats are indestructible -I've had mine for +20 years, and they keep your head cool.
+1 I don't use mine while shooting (it's one of my fishing hats), but the thing cleans up so well and it ages so much better than I. A very practical piece of outdoor gear, especially for the follicle-challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
I've thought about it before, but never really bought one. I recently bought a fanny pack (bum bag for non-Americans) now that they're in style again (for some reason), for when I don't want to take my bigger bag. Probably as dorky as a vest, but whatever..
https://tchoupindustries.com/collect...-leather-panel

this one is not so dorky ... and the buckle will remove a bottle cap.

My Flickr

Old 06-07-2018   #44
Dogman

Tilley hat? Love the silly things. I used one for years while doing the yard work around the house. Once it got smelly and you couldn't tell what the original color had been, I would toss it in the kitchen sink with a squirt of dishwashing liquid. After a good wash and rinse, I would hang it on the back porch to dry and it would come away looking nearly new. Eventually I ended up with several of them. I wore one to a visit to my dermatologist once and he remarked that he often recommended Tilley hats to his patients to prevent skin damage. Too late for me, damage was done.

Old 06-07-2018   #45
Rick Waldroup

I have one of the original Domke Photo Jackets. The sleeves zip off and it becomes a vest. It also has a hood built into the collar. I do wear it every now and then, especially when it gets a bit cooler. I never take the sleeves off and just treat it like any other jacket.

Old 06-07-2018   #46
FalseDigital
krapow moo khai dow

NOPE~
It's a great way to get pick-pocketed though if you're into having your stuff stolen.

I do however wear a fanny pack but it's slung sideways around my shoulder in front of me, rather than actually at the fanny.

Old 06-08-2018   #47
skucera

Here in Oregon about 10 years ago the only guys who wore photo vests were using them to conceal pistols. I never saw any cameras on any of those guys. I don't think I've seen a single photo vest since, although I saw a guy with a safari jacket last summer that had the Kruger National Park logo on it.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 06-08-2018   #48
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
Here in Oregon about 10 years ago the only guys who wore photo vests were using them to conceal pistols. I never saw any cameras on any of those guys. I don't think I've seen a single photo vest since, although I saw a guy with a safari jacket last summer that had the Kruger National Park logo on it.

Scott
Those might not have been photo vests. There are vests made for gun enthusiasts that look, at first glance, like photo vests, but the pockets are sized to hold ammo clips and such.

Fishing vests are also similar to photo vests but they're shorter, to keep the vest from getting wet.

Old 06-08-2018   #49
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post

https://tchoupindustries.com/collect...-leather-panel

this one is not so dorky ... and the buckle will remove a bottle cap.
Did you post the correct link? That one that has this as the description:

"Charcoal gray waxed canvas with colorful woven panel made from discarded plastic shopping bags."

And with looks to match.

Old 06-08-2018   #50
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseDigital View Post

I do however wear a fanny pack but it's slung sideways around my shoulder in front of me, rather than actually at the fanny.
That is the boob bag, an entirely different product (which looks remarkably similar).

Old 06-18-2018   #51
thawkins

I have never used one however I did have an over the top college English professor who wore one. He liked all the pockets to keep extra semicolons, unused dangling participles and the occasional airline size whiskey bottles ready for instant use!!

Old 06-18-2018   #52
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I have the Domke vest, it's quite handy and durable. My problem is that it keeps the heat in too well and I wind up sweating too much. I've tried back packs, shoulder bags and finally settled on a belly bag for a few lenses and a spare battery and not much else.

Old 06-18-2018   #53
lxmike
Barnack fan

I would only wear one if l was going for the Nick Nolte look

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 05-25-2019   #54
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

I always swore I would never wear one, but I picked up an outdoors-type vest that doubles as a photo vest. I guess I softened after turning 40.

I have to say, for a walk in the woods with a Leica, a second lens and a few rolls of film... it's really nice. Not sure I would wear it too often on the streets, but nice for an outdoors walk.

Old 05-25-2019   #55
Vince Lupo

Way way back when, my parents bought me a Tilley photo vest. I think it cost about $500. I never wore it, even though I used to see Alex Tilley riding the same bus I rode in Toronto (guess I felt some kind of guilty obligation, though I could never bring myself to succumb to its wearing), as the Tilley company was located near my house. I sold it many years later on eBay to an appreciative buyer - I advertised it as ‘never been worn’.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 05-25-2019   #56
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Right up there with suspenders and white socks in sandals.
I'm waaay too good looking for that kind of visual harrassment
sandals, white socks and a photo vest....thats quite a look

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 05-26-2019   #57
MrFujicaman

airfrogusmc is right ..

it's about the fastest way to get thru security at an airport. Plenty of room for a wallet in an inside zippered pocket, room for books to read, keys, snacks, etc.

Old 05-26-2019   #58
Peter Wijninga

Nah, the airport argument doesn't fly. They'll ask you to empty all of these pockets. To those who equate the vest with 'ugly American' tourism' on par with the Hawaii shirt, I suppose you've never been out there. All the best.

Old 05-26-2019   #59
skucera

I have a fly fishing vest, but I don't use it for photography or fishing. Actually, it is so strangely specialized for fly fishing, that I haven't really gotten around to trying it for fishing in 30 years since it was given to me. And yet, I still have it 30 years later because I always have the feeling that it might be useful someday if I ever get around to putting either fishing gear or photo gear into it. It's more likely I'll use it for fishing than photography, though.

Does anyone who actually use their photo vests have a description about how they use their vests? I'm curious, how do you actually distribute your photo gear among the many pockets? Back when I was a kid I remember stereotypical photographers on TV shows with vests and four or five cameras with different lenses draped around their necks, but I don't think those actors actually studied how real photojournalists used their vests or arranged several cameras... but it looked cool. Maybe it's time to google up some old photos to see if I can learn how they used their vests.

OK, this guy has no vest, but I'm still curious.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 05-26-2019   #60
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

First of all, to wear the vest properly, it needs to be zipped up in the front, not worn unzipped like you often see. The reason is that the weight only distributes correctly to your shoulders if it is zipped up. Put anything heavy in it with the front unzipped and it'll dig into your neck painfully.

Vests aren't suitable for carrying anything heavy like a spare camera body or lenses, though small lenses like many RF lenses or micro four thirds lenses can be carried in the vest's larger bottom front pockets.

I use mine to carry things I need a lot, like my handheld meter, remote release, extra batteries, memory cards, phone, notebook and pencils, candy, water bottle, etc. It is very useful if I am working with one camera and lens, like my Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark II and 12-40mm f2.8 lens. A combo that is used for 90% of my work. Saves my the trouble of carrying a bag. If I need other lenses, I carry a bag, but the vest lets my carry a smaller, easier to work from bag.

Quote:
I have a fly fishing vest, but I don't use it for photography or fishing. Actually, it is so strangely specialized for fly fishing, that I haven't really gotten around to trying it for fishing in 30 years since it was given to me. And yet, I still have it 30 years later because I always have the feeling that it might be useful someday if I ever get around to putting either fishing gear or photo gear into it. It's more likely I'll use it for fishing than photography, though.

Does anyone who actually use their photo vests have a description about how they use their vests? I'm curious, how do you actually distribute your photo gear among the many pockets? Back when I was a kid I remember stereotypical photographers on TV shows with vests and four or five cameras with different lenses draped around their necks, but I don't think those actors actually studied how real photojournalists used their vests or arranged several cameras... but it looked cool. Maybe it's time to google up some old photos to see if I can learn how they used their vests.

Scott

Old 05-26-2019   #61
Rayt

Photo vests are very convenient for the LF shooter. There are a lot more accessories for LF such as the loupe, cable, spare cable, filters, notebook, pencil, lens caps, small incident meter, spot meter.

Old 05-26-2019   #62
kangaroo2012

I travelled with a guy who carried lots of gear on aircraft in his vest. Much more than would have been allowed in a bag. His only bag had a 600mm and weighed a ton, but as it was his only bag he walked through.
Sometimes it is easier to look innocent and just walk through the gate.
I had a vest made in blue denim back in the 70s, it went well with my jeans with floral ribbon on the legs.

Old 05-27-2019   #63
Dogman

I used my first vest while working at a daily newspaper. I seldom carried extra lenses and never a spare body--too heavy. I carried film, batteries, pen and paper and occasionally small flashes units with slaves. But mainly the vest was useful because it gave me a place to put stuff picked up on assignments. Things like press releases, information packets and promotional materials from commercial sources. The big side pockets were also useful on more than one occasion I recall when covering street festivals. A couple of cans of beer fit nicely until I had the time to partake.

Unlike Chris, I seldom zipped my vest. I kept it open for maximum airflow. It was hot and humid in my area--the deep South. At the end of the day the vest, along with everything else I was wearing, was usually wet with sweat. I always carried at least a couple of small towels during the hottest months.

When I was no longer working as a photographer, I used a vest for travel. Again, I carried film (back when I shot film) and batteries but I also could carry a couple of small consumer zooms or small primes, each in padding of some type. A couple of bottles of water were kept handy when walking around town or hiking. And those big pockets were great for guidebooks, maps and the other stuff for which we now mainly use smartphones and iPads.

Vests are really great because everything is fairly accessible without much fuss. Apparently more and more people now use backpacks when traveling or for carrying their extra photo gear. But to get to items from inside the backpack you have to take it off. With a vest, just reach in the right pocket...if you can remember which pocket.

Old 05-27-2019   #64
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
First of all, to wear the vest properly, it needs to be zipped up in the front, not worn unzipped like you often see. The reason is that the weight only distributes correctly to your shoulders if it is zipped up. Put anything heavy in it with the front unzipped and it'll dig into your neck painfully.

Vests aren't suitable for carrying anything heavy like a spare camera body or lenses, though small lenses like many RF lenses or micro four thirds lenses can be carried in the vest's larger bottom front pockets.

I use mine to carry things I need a lot, like my handheld meter, remote release, extra batteries, memory cards, phone, notebook and pencils, candy, water bottle, etc. It is very useful if I am working with one camera and lens, like my Olympus OM-D E-M1 mark II and 12-40mm f2.8 lens. A combo that is used for 90% of my work. Saves my the trouble of carrying a bag. If I need other lenses, I carry a bag, but the vest lets my carry a smaller, easier to work from bag.
You nailed it Chris, that is why I like a vest, for all the little odds and ends you donít want to search for. Not much total weight and readily at hand. I do sometimes travel with my Pen F (film) camera. Thatís the only time I also carry a couple of lenses in the vest, but they are both small and donít weigh much.

Old 05-27-2019   #65
ptpdprinter

I don't have q photo vest but wouldn't have any problem wearing one. I am not too concerned about what other people think. I mean really? Have you seen some of the stuff they wear?

Old 05-27-2019   #66
Peter Wijninga

I have worn these vests for years, when I was working in countries where you can't leave your papers and other stuff in a safe, in a hotel. The only problem I had with the early versions of the vest, was that they were available in khaki/brown, only. They made me look too much like a military person. Later on, my organization changed the vests to blue. I am sure that the original version of the vest was based on a fishing vest...and then they modified it.

Old 05-27-2019   #67
B-9
Devin Bro

Love my vest.

Have not worn it in a year or so.. prolly since my last paid photo gig.

So much easier than a shoulder bag.

Mine is a Banana Republic and I believe was intended more as a fashion piece than anything practical. It works all the same I suppose!

Owned a few vests over the years. Bought a few for family too!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-27-2019   #68
MrFujicaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Nah, the airport argument doesn't fly. They'll ask you to empty all of these pockets. To those who equate the vest with 'ugly American' tourism' on par with the Hawaii shirt, I suppose you've never been out there. All the best.
Nope...I put it in the plastic tub and let it go thru the x-ray scanner. Never had to empty it. And I wouldn't wear a Hawaiian shirt on a bet!

Old 05-27-2019   #69
MrFujicaman

That looks like Calzone's avatar!

Quote:

OK, this guy has no vest, but I'm still curious.

Scott

Old 05-28-2019   #70
bert26

I need to buy a photo vest, a bucket hat, and work on my Brooklyn accent so I can be Bruce Gilden for Halloween.

Old 05-29-2019   #71
Dogman

I also have a collection of oversize Hawaiian shirts.

But I don't wear the shirts and the vest together.

Old 05-29-2019   #72
Peter Wijninga

Quote:
But I don't wear the shirts and the vest together.
It would be the ultimate fashion statement: the Hawaiian shirt, a vest, white socks, sandals, and to complete the ensemble...cargo shorts + the Tilley hat.

Old 05-29-2019   #73
seagrove
Rich

When I was a working pro (newspapers), I wore a Domke vest. Went through several over a 10-year period. Still have one around somewhere but no longer have the need. Back in the day, I carried two bodies (one with a tele zoom and one with a wide zoom) and stuck pens, notebooks (for caption info), extra batteries, and a couple of fast primes just in case. I found the vest to be very useful in spreading the weight across my shoulders. Today, I have just two Fuji X100S bodies with the WCL & TCL lenses and just stick a couple of small batteries in my pockets.

Old 05-29-2019   #74
Hari

the screwmount leica is in the front pants pocket

Old 05-29-2019   #75
raydm6

No. .......

Old 05-29-2019   #76
kxl
Social Documentary

I have a Scotte vest that I use when traveling, but more for quick access to tickets and other travel stuff as well as small photo-related accessories, such as batteries, SD cards, lens wipes, etc... I still carry a bag for camera bodies and lenses.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.Ē ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-30-2019   #77
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I often wear one. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks of my appearance. If that mattered, I'd cut my hair and shave my duck dynasty beard and wear stylish clothes.

For a documentary photographer, a photo vest is very useful. If I want to work without a bag, I can fit a few lenses, a meter, and my tablet in the pockets of my vest.

I use a Nikon Vestrap. I have a closet full of them, and I buy them anytime I find one in unused condition in my size. They were discontinued 20 yrs ago, but a lot of them are still floating around with the tags still on them!

I Prefer the Vestrap because I have found that it carries gear better than any other I have tried. Others often make the weight fall on my neck, which is painful. The Nikon Vestrap carried the weight of my gear to my shoulders.
Makeover time?

I prefer to work out of a Billingham bag myself (never been mugged). YMMV.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-30-2019   #78
Steve M.

I've lived all over, and never once saw anyone wearing a photo vest (outside of an old TV series). Did my share of fishing too, and never saw anyone w/ similar vests w/ lures and stuff. Only in the movies. The name of the game is to blend in, look like you're invisible, get the shot. If you look like a photographer that just stepped out of a 1955 Life magazine, you'll attract attention. If you like to do that, you gotta have your hat cocked jauntily to the back when you go into the drugstore and ask where the Kodachrome is.

Old 05-30-2019   #79
besk

My wife gave me one but I have never wanted to wear it. Would
have problems remembering what pocket I left something in.
I would rather look in my bag.

Old 05-30-2019   #80
presspass
filmshooter

Does anybody make a mesh vest that's comfortable on hot days?