Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Old 09-18-2018   #2321
ian_watts
Ian Watts

I've just received Raymond Meeks' Halfstory Halflife which I pre-ordered a few months ago. I've been a big fan of his work for some time but this is the first book of his I have been in a position to buy (as far as I know most of his books so far have been strictly limited edition artist produced creations). It's a fine quality production. I'm not convinced by the soft cover (seems to be in vogue of late) but the print quality (Italian) is high, with a nice low contrast matt finish. Certainly recommended.

Old 09-18-2018   #2322
Mcary

Faulkner's Mississippi, by Willie Morris and William Eggleston. Local antique/thrift store find.

'Avedon - Something Personal' by Norma Stevens & Steven M L Aronson
Old 09-24-2018   #2323
lawrence

'Avedon - Something Personal' by Norma Stevens & Steven M L Aronson

Norma Stevens' biography of the photographer for whom she worked for thirty years was published last year to some controversy, being particularly objected to by the Richard Avedon Foundation. Personally I've always felt somewhat ambivalent towards Avedon's work. While acknowledging his genius as a fashion photographer I've nearly always found his portraiture to fall short of his own lofty ambitions.

For me, a great photographic portrait somehow enables the sitter to project themselves onto the film, sensor or whatever without the photographer's mediation being apparent. In other words, I prefer portraits where the photographer's hand is unseen. Avedon took the opposite approach, directing, cajoling and in one notable case tricking his subjects into giving him what he wanted; he acknowledged this by saying that his photographs were more about him than his subjects. So in general Avedon favours impact rather than honesty or revelation and in some cases, such as the famous 'Bee-man' image, the portraiture is simply an extension of his fashion work.

There are exceptions of course, such as his terrific portrait of Marilyn Monroe taken after she'd run through her usual 'specially for you and your camera' routine. Avedon understood the superficiality of the fashion world but somehow couldn't manage to break away from it. The book is an interesting read, an insight into the world of one of the most famous photographers of the last century, however at nearly seven hundred pages you'll probably need to dedicate a fair amount of time to it. If you're not familiar with Avedon's work this web presentation is a good place to start.

Old 09-24-2018   #2324
Out to Lunch

"Your library". I've stopped buying books a few years ago since I don't live in one particular place. The 'library' concept will soon be outdated: you can access almost everything online -either by paying for it, or at no cost.

Old 09-24-2018   #2325
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
"Your library". I've stopped buying books a few years ago since I don't live in one particular place. The 'library' concept will soon be outdated: you can access almost everything online -either by paying for it, or at no cost.
I'm not sure I agree – either from a personal perspective (though I do find the space taken up by my books increasingly problematic) or as an evaluation of the current state of the book market. As far as I know, e-books and the like have not been a roaring success and physical books are still bought and consumed in great numbers. The problem for bookshops isn't that people aren't buying books it's just that they too often buy them from amazon. It is true that there is an awful lot of information – including photographs from any photographer that might be of interest – on the internet but much of that information is haphazard and is not a substitute for a well written and presented book. This is particularly the case with the kind of books under discussion in this thread where photo sequencing and print quality are often an intrinsic part of the book and rarely does the internet offer an equivalent alternative.

Old 09-24-2018   #2326
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I don't see the library concept as going away any time soon, thank goodness; while you may be able to view almost everything online there's a huge difference between this and a book you can hold in your hands. Online, e-books etc. are a useful supplement to print but cannot replace it because it just isn't the same experience. Did TV make the cinema obsolete? No, because the user experience is different.

Old 09-24-2018   #2327
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Must agree with Ian and Lawrence. I'm certainly not buying fewer books simply because I could access many of them digitally through my work's library, though most are academic monographs instead of photo books. Screen time comes with headaches and eye strain that a print book does not and I'm getting very tired of replacing laptop screens ruined from writing on them with a pencil or fountain pen.

To keep thread on track, I recently picked up Philip Perkis, Teaching Photography: Notes Assembled, 2nd edition. Thin, spiral bound volume of thoughtful rumination on the nature, distinctive features, practice, and conundrums of photography -- along with some of Perkis' assignments used in his classes. Worthwhile despite the lack of any photos. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing some of the thinking lying behind one of my favorite photobooks, Perkis' The Sadness of Men.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 09-24-2018   #2328
Mcary

JMO but I think a program/software in which the images were present via screen tablet or PC/TV with the audio for the text might be a nice idea.

Been watching a number of talk via B&H youtube channel lately especially enjoy the ones by Eileen Rafferty, have my mac connected to our 65" TV so images are nice and big

Old 09-24-2018   #2329
Huss

Picked this up at an estate sale:

Judging by the framed photographs on the walls of the house, the PO was a photographer. But try as I might, I did not see any Leicas or Hassies for sale!

Old 09-24-2018   #2330
Papercut

Oh I forgot in my earlier post to mention that my father sent me YAN Ming's Country of Ambition (Chinese title is 大国志). My father is teaching YAN's son English in the Philippines and knew I've followed YAN's work on flickr for years; he somehow got YAN to put a personal inscription as well. It's a lovely book of black and white medium format (6x6) images, most with a touch of the surreal to them. Well printed in soft greys. I have not yet had time to read YAN's text, but I look forward to that on a chilly evening sometime this fall.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 09-24-2018   #2331
Dogman

Put me down as also agreeing with Ian and Lawrence. Photography books and books on traditional art will be around in the future. Fiction, non-fiction, text books, etc., will probably only be available as ebooks or will be in paper editions only on a limited basis. Art books printed on paper can frequently be considered art in themselves, something I don't wish to ever give up. However, I now buy all my other types of books in ebook form and I prefer this format for these books.

And to continue to keep things on track, I recently bought from Amazon a copy of the 2017 career retrospective "Thomas Struth". I was not very familiar with his work although I do like the Becher's (the "inventors" of the Dusseldorf School style). Unfortunately, now that I've seen a fair sampling, I find Struth's photography boring beyond words.

Old 09-24-2018   #2332
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
And to continue to keep things on track, I recently bought from Amazon a copy of the 2017 career retrospective "Thomas Struth". I was not very familiar with his work although I do like the Becher's (the "inventors" of the Dusseldorf School style). Unfortunately, now that I've seen a fair sampling, I find Struth's photography boring beyond words.
I find it boring like the other Dusseldorfers (in my view 'big' doesn't necessarily mean the same as 'good'). However I like William Eggleston's work and many find that boring.

Old 10-08-2018   #2333
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

DSM-V
The Successful Internship
Art Psychotherapy
Trauma Stewardship
The Gift of Therapy
Development Through Life
Obedience to Authority
Trauma
A Colorful Introduction to the Anatomy of the Human Brain
Publication manual of the American Psychological Association

Hell's Angels

1800 Woodcuts
Anonymous Was A Woman
Self-Portrait: USA
When Heaven and Earth Changed Places
Farewell to Manzanar
The Private Journals of Edvard Munch
Drawings of Mucha

Phil Forrest

Old 10-08-2018   #2334
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns View Post
Anyone else interested in this? Seems like a pretty bold undertaking (I don’t mean that in a negative way). I look forward to checking it out despite the price and the fact that I never really could get into The Ongoing Moment.

https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/dye...arry-winogrand

from the publisher's description...
"Dyer takes the viewer/reader on a wildly original journey through both iconic and unseen images from the archive, including eighteen previously unpublished color photographs. The book encompasses most of Winogrand’s themes and subjects and remains broadly faithful to the chronological and geographical facts of his life, but Dyer’s responses to the photographs are unorthodox, eye-opening, and often hilarious. This inimitable combination of photographer and writer, images and text, itself offers what Dyer claims for Winogrand’s photography—an education in seeing".
The pictures are beautiful, of course. Dyer's text is at times good but in many cases impose wildly fanciful interpretations on the images, which to me goes against Winogrand's own philosophy, which, if anything, appears to have been quite resolutely "Against Interpretation." This is well-known, so I'm not sure if Dyer somehow missed it or deliberately ignored it.

Old 10-08-2018   #2335
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
Yours come yet Michael?

I withdraw comments about posthumous editing I made previously. The extensive articles in this new book are excellent and make a good case for a re-examination of Winogrand.
Highly recommended for both text and photographs.

Best
ChrisL
Great book and articles. Every time I look through it, though, I find myself having to delete some of my own Flickr stream. I only hope that at some point I won't have found it necessary to delete everything

Old 10-30-2018   #2336
fireblade
Vincenzo.

A Complete Examination of Middlesex......Bruce Gilden.

Bruce at his best

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 11-12-2018   #2337
stephen.w

Last week I received the recent Mack reprint of Allan Sekula's Fish Story and the Richard Kalvar 'Photo Poche', the last book designed by Robert Delpire before his death. My bookshelves are also at bursting point.

Old 11-12-2018   #2338
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

Sam Abell - The Life of a Photograph

Weegee Serial Photographer (graphic novel)

Old 11-12-2018   #2339
Dogman

"The Sweet Flypaper of Life" by Roy DeCarava and Langston Hughes. It's about 5x7" format and it deserves to be printed larger. The reproduction needs to be updated as well. It's a classic, however, originally printed in the 1950s. DeCarava did great work.

Old 11-12-2018   #2340
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
You might like the work of Elger Esser if you like the Bechers but not Struth. i kind of think of him as a better Gursky. I think he is the best photographer out of the Becher school.

Vivian Maier, The Color Work
Old 11-19-2018   #2341
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Vivian Maier, The Color Work

I just received a copy of the newest book out about Vivian Maier's work, "Vivian Maier, The Color Work" published by Harper Design. I have two other books of her work, both B&W images. This new book is by far my favorite of the three. She clearly was able to use color without losing the strong content of her work. Highly recommend this book.

The book includes a foreward by Joel Meyerowitz.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 11-21-2018   #2342
fireblade
Vincenzo.

The Isle of Dogs, Before the Big Money...Mike Seaborne.
A look at the regeneration of London's docklands in the 80's.
Highly recommended.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 12-20-2018   #2343
Dogman

Two new releases I bought recently that I can recommend.

"Koudelka: Returning" is a retrospective look at the photographer's work. It commemorates his 80th birthday. It's heavy on the early work--"Invasion 1968", "Gypsies", etc., like the other monograph "Koudelka" from a few years ago. I haven't gotten into it too deeply, having read only small snippets but I'm happy with the purchase.

The other is "Gordon Parks: The New Tide, The Early Works 1940-1950". Parks was one of those photographers whose work seemed to have been around forever, from the day photography entered my life until his death. He lived and worked for a very long time--he was 93 when he died in 2006. This new book is a bit overwhelming with samples of his work from various sources and in various genres, including some newspaper clippings of his early published photographs. Indeed, he had an enormous output and this book only covers the first decade of his long working life. The book is beautifully printed. I just got it so I haven't read much yet but the photos are worth the purchase.

Old 12-20-2018   #2344
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Bought this a month or so back, just now starting it:
The Ongoing Moment by Geoff Dyer (2005).
Haven't read much of it yet, but it seems like it will be an interesting take on some of the "classic" photographers--Paul Strand, Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, etc--and how their works relate to each other. Maybe? (I am literally just starting this one this morning. )

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-20-2018   #2345
embee06311
getting back into film..

I now have all four volumes of The Work of Atget. Fascinating reading to go along with great photographs.

Flickr

Old 12-20-2018   #2346
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee06311 View Post
I now have all four volumes of The Work of Atget. Fascinating reading to go along with great photographs.
Agreed, a 'must have' for the beautiful reproductions and wonderful essays.

Old 12-20-2018   #2347
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee06311 View Post
Absolutely. I know I overpaid for my set but they are all great books.

Old 12-20-2018   #2348
lamefrog

Anders Petersen, Okinawa (2018 T&M Projects)

Old 12-20-2018   #2349
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Gap in the Hedge, Dan Wood.

Old 12-21-2018   #2350
al1966
Feed Your Head

I have ordered 'Only God Can Judge Me' Bruce Gilden. Wife got me Contacts Magnum for our wedding anniversary last month. Found a copy of Ed Ruscha's Gas Stations in a charity shop for 2, result.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 12-21-2018   #2351
Papercut

Fred Herzog, Modern Color. Dealing with a series of health crises in the house (wife, dog, myself) since September, I haven't had time to do much more than flip through it idly. Hopefully that changes over Winter Break and I can sneak some time with it in between grading my students' research papers.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 12-21-2018   #2352
lynnb

The Recent Past, James Ravilious. I've been meaning to get a Ravilious book for ages.
Flickr

Old 12-21-2018   #2353
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Ho, Fan "The Living Theater". Modernbook; 2nd edition (2008). 176p. ISBN-10: 0980104432

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 12-22-2018   #2354
jsrockit

La Calle by Alex Webb
Libyan Sugar by Michael Christopher Brown

Old 01-29-2019   #2355
lynnb

Ivor Matanle "Collecting and Using Classic Cameras" in paperback. Arrived this morning, very glad I bought it, after reading recommendations on this obit thread.
Flickr

Old 01-29-2019   #2356
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Mofokeng, Santu "Taxi 004". David Krut Publishing; First Edition edition (June 2001). ISBN: 0620279494

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 02-06-2019   #2357
lynnb

Bert Hardy's Britain, The Bluecoat Press, 192pp.
ISBN13 9781908457165

Bert Hardy was a Leica PJ working for Picture Post, photos of war and post-war Britain.
Flickr

Old 02-07-2019   #2358
Dogman

Helmut Newton "Work" and Helmut Newton & Alice Springs "Us and Them". I'm pretty ignorant of Newton's work although I've been aware of him for...what, fifty years. Personally, I like Sieff's eroticism better but there's no denying Newton cultivated his look really well.

Recent Book
Old 02-24-2019   #2359
Unkei

Recent Book

LEICA M
Advanced Photo School
Unkei

Old 02-25-2019   #2360
al1966
Feed Your Head

Art in the Age of Mass Media (Walker), Daido Moriyama photophile, Concerning the Spiritual in Art (Kandinsky), The Minds Eye (Cartier Bresson) and a book of Lichtenstiens work.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/