Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Contax G1 - no lens behaviour
Old 12-17-2018   #1
SergioGuerra

Contax G1 - no lens behaviour

Hi there!

I just got my hands on a very cheap G1 body, the person who sold it to me told me it would advance film with some strange behaviour.
I thought it could be simply a dirty Ir sensor, so since the price was good decided to take the risk.
I have been tinkering with it, and after some cleaning all seems ok, but since I have got no lenses, I have one doubt and it is important to sort it out before I think of buying lenses - that I know will be expensive.

If you pick up the body, with no lenses attached, and you focus, either AF or manual , should I see the small metallic shaft rotate one way or the other?
I hear a electric sound when I focus, or simply turn the focus wheel, but I see no movement on the shaft that should attach to the lens.

Have I got a problem?

A help from another G1 member would be very helpfull...

My hope is that if the camera sees no lense, it doesnt rotate the shaft...

Kind regards,

Sergio

Old 12-17-2018   #2
Bob Michaels
nobody special

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioGuerra View Post
If you pick up the body, with no lenses attached, and you focus, either AF or manual , should I see the small metallic shaft rotate one way or the other?
I hear a electric sound when I focus, or simply turn the focus wheel, but I see no movement on the shaft that should attach to the lens.
Have I got a problem? ......
I shot a lot exclusively with a G1 and also a G2 for about 8 years. You can tell nothing about the body without having a lens attached. Nor anything about a lens without a body.

You will need to borrow a lens from someone to find out anything about the body.

Old 12-17-2018   #3
Steve M.

What Bob said. These are quirky cameras, but even if they weren't, you need a lens due to the electrical contacts on the lens/body.

Old 12-17-2018   #4
Reinvention

Most of the lenses go for reasonable prices used. The exceptions would be the exotic 16 mm/f8, and the 35-70mm variable aperture zoom. The 21 mm/F2.8 runs higher than the lenses in the 28, 35, 45, and 90 mm lengths, but not as much as the 16 or the zoom. The 45 is the sharpest normal lens I have ever used. By the way, I'm a G2 user.

Old 12-17-2018   #5
FujiLove

Just checked my G1, and the focus screw does not turn without the lens attached.

As long as you don't over-pay, you should be able to sell on a Contax G lens for what you bought it for if the body doesn't work for some reason. Alternatively, could you borrow a lens, or take the body to a used camera store to check it with a lens?

Old 12-18-2018   #6
SergioGuerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Just checked my G1, and the focus screw does not turn without the lens attached.

As long as you don't over-pay, you should be able to sell on a Contax G lens for what you bought it for if the body doesn't work for some reason. Alternatively, could you borrow a lens, or take the body to a used camera store to check it with a lens?
That's it! that's good to know

I understand without a lens I cannot confirm if all works like it should, but so far I have tested shutter speeds, AF, film transport and all seem to work like they should.
To know a bit more, I need some lenses, but I feel more confident after knowing all this works, on commiting to buy some lenses.

I lust over the 45mm and 28mm... a bit expensive for my income, yet, very very cheap compared to Leica glass... and like fujilove wrote, if I buy them with a reasonable price, I can sell them later for the same price

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-18-2018   #7
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioGuerra View Post
I lust over the 45mm and 28mm...

They're both really, really nice lenses. Don't get too hung up on all the rave reviews about the 45mmI'd say just choose the focal length that suits you best. I've just bought into the G system again and only have the 45mm lens, but I had both the 45mm and 28mm before and I think I actually preferred the 28.

Pick up whatever comes along at a reasonable price, and you won't go far wrong.

Old 12-22-2018   #8
splitimageview

Without a lens, the G1 will still adjust for parallax and it should show the focus distance in the viewfinder and on the top left LCD.