Old 12-09-2018   #41
ASA 32
Registered User
 
ASA 32's Avatar
 
ASA 32 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Age: 74
Posts: 241
For me, as a change of pace, shooting slide film is a source of great enjoyment. Something about viewing the results on a light table with a good loupe pretty much knocks my socks off.

_181209_1609_007.jpg
by
ASA 32
, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #42
ASA 32
Registered User
 
ASA 32's Avatar
 
ASA 32 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coastal Connecticut
Age: 74
Posts: 241
And I'm fortunate to own a Dimage Scan Multi Pro scanner, so I can do this:

Warehouse Door
by
ASA 32
, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #43
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,904
Beautiful!!!
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #44
J enea
Registered User
 
J enea is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 159
years ago i went thru my dads old slides. he had 50+ slide trays full of travel shots. after he died I set up his projector and went thru a couple of trays. it brought back many memories.

but the bigger thing was just the quality of not only the image, but the colors, the details, the entire viewing experience. It is what slides were made for. this prompted me to look at my own shots. so over the next three months I went big into MF slides. it started at the time by me going to my local drug dealer (the used camera store which always had tons of film gear). they had just gotten in a hasselblad PCP-80 projector. so for an amazing price i walked out with the projector, 3 trays and all the accessories i needed. while I really do not like using or printing 6x6 negs, I needed a 6x6 camera for slides. so found a great condition mamiya 6 and I was off. luckily this was 10+ years ago when film camera prices were in free fall.

120 slides projected are a thing of beauty. everyone who shoots slides should have the chance to shoot, project and view for themselves that magic that are slides. I laugh at my friends who chase digital, gotta have the 30+ mp camera and them view them on their 3 or 4 mp tv. but whatever makes you happy.

as long as I can get the film I will continue to shoot slides. when I want to print them, yes i have to scan and print from a digital file, but it is what it is. I even like shooting B&W slides, using a home brew to develop them, so if fuji gets out of the game, that is still an option. but I have been back-filling slide film when the price is right. Keep buying and buying fresh. force fuji to keep velvia and provia in production.

happy shooting and projecting.

john
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #45
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I wonder why there has been a resurgence in slide film with the reintroduction of Ektachrome. If people wanted to shoot slide film, Velvia and Provia have been continuously available to them. I have a feeling people are going to shoot a few rolls of Ektachome just for the heck of it, and then revert back to what they were doing before.
Well said. A slight difference in color is all that Ektachrome brings to the table. Provia and Velvia have been available for years and still slide film has been dwindling away. Labs close, SKU's get discontinued. Kodak bringing back slide film is not going to change any fo that.

One photographer I knew 6 or more years ago shot slide film regularly. I've lost touch with him now so I dont know if he is still at it. Other than that, I've never met anyone shot has shot a frame of E6 film.

Slide film is a niche within a niche.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #46
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer
 
ChrisPlatt's Avatar
 
ChrisPlatt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NYC
Age: 58
Posts: 2,838
A niche product perhaps, but Kodak must think they'll sell enough of it
to justify the cost of gearing up for production of the new Ektachrome.

Chris
__________________
Bring back the latent image!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #47
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
A niche product perhaps, but Kodak must think they'll sell enough of it to justify the cost of gearing up for production of the new Ektachrome.
I think that when Kodak went down the Ektachrome road they also planned to feed Super8 film to their new Super8 camera, about which we have not had any update for nearly a year. I don't know how the failure to deliver their Super8 camera will alter their profitability projections.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #48
Guth
Observational Documenter
 
Guth is offline
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 173
I'll admit that my recent Ektachrome purchase was intended to be a fun experiment and a (small) show of support for Kodak's decision to bring this product back to the market. That might make me shallow in the eyes of others but I'm just looking for ways to enjoy photography once again. So far it's been working. (Before stepping away from film photography I had previously come to prefer using Velvia for my color transparency needs.)
__________________
My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #49
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
FWIW, Leica made some very nice slide projectors and they sell for very silly prices compared to what I paid for my one and a lens decades ago...

Ilford used to publish a fact sheet as a pdf about making B&W slides but my link to it got an error message. And there's ADOX Scala BW 160film especially for slides but how it's processed is beyond me.

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #50
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
A niche product perhaps, but Kodak must think they'll sell enough of it
to justify the cost of gearing up for production of the new Ektachrome.

Chris
Yeah well, Kodak is well known for making an almost unlimited number of poor decisions.

As already noted, no sign at all of their new Super 8mm camera, announced in *2016*. No sign at all.

And nearly 1 year ago Kodak made a huge splash with their IPO announcement, Kodak Coins.

No sign of them either.

Regardless of how good a film the new Ektachrome is (and it is good), it's still E6 and that market has been on life support for half a decade or more. More film is not the solution to the problems E6 is facing.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #51
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
I'll admit that my recent Ektachrome purchase was intended to be a fun experiment and a (small) show of support for Kodak's decision to bring this product back to the market. That might make me shallow in the eyes of others but I'm just looking for ways to enjoy photography once again. So far it's been working. (Before stepping away from film photography I had previously come to prefer using Velvia for my color transparency needs.)
Nothing wrong with that. If I had an E6 lab nearby, I'd shoot some too. As it is, there's no E6 lab within 200 miles of me so I don't buy and of this Kodak film, nor shoot the dozen or more Astia 100F 220 rolls in my freezer (along with Provia 400X).
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2018   #52
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA 32 View Post
And I'm fortunate to own a Dimage Scan Multi Pro scanner, so I can do this:

Warehouse Door
by
ASA 32
, on Flickr
Nice!

I was fortunate enough to own a Nikon D750 so I could scan my Velvia shot on Xpan to do this:



I now scan my film (slide or negative) with a Z7
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2018   #53
d.dulin
Registered User
 
d.dulin's Avatar
 
d.dulin is offline
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA 32 View Post
For me, as a change of pace, shooting slide film is a source of great enjoyment. Something about viewing the results on a light table with a good loupe pretty much knocks my socks off.

_181209_1609_007.jpg
by
ASA 32
, on Flickr
This is absolutely gorgeous and totally the reason i love slide film- the reason i decided to shoot some.

Side note; I suppose those nice old "low contrast" lenses of the 30's-60's would help even out the exposure on the low latitude slide films, no?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2018   #54
Murray Kelly
Registered User
 
Murray Kelly's Avatar
 
Murray Kelly is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 517
I well remember switching on the lights after a sllde show only to find everyone asleep. Nowadays we have these enormous TVs with a USB input so the possibility exists to sit at the right distance from the image and accept 'some' loss of definition from one of those dreadful fixed focus scanners that cost <$100.

Nobody would seriously get up to critically analyse grain or minute sharpness and stand in front of everybody else's view.
I briefly had one of those bits of equipment but this dicussion has made me think it might be a route to show off your masterpieces without the snores.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #55
Guth
Observational Documenter
 
Guth is offline
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 173
I'm getting a kick out of some of the horror-filled stories of sleep inducing projector sessions back in the old days. But it does have me wondering if I'm the only one here that would sometimes go to the effort of setting everything up so that I could project slides simply for my own viewing pleasure? I've actually been contemplating doing exactly that once again some day soon after checking in on this thread a few times. I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment.
__________________
My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

resurgence of slide film... viewing?
Old 12-13-2018   #56
joe bosak
Registered User
 
joe bosak is offline
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 103
resurgence of slide film... viewing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Ilford used to publish a fact sheet as a pdf about making B&W slides but my link to it got an error message. And there's ADOX Scala BW 160film especially for slides but how it's processed is beyond me.

Regards, David
I've always wondered about this sort of thing. The principle seems simple enough - develop, wash off the resulting silver particles, expose the yet-unexposed halide left on the film, and then develop and fix. Mind you, the process described on mr-alvandi.com involves washing off the silver with a nasty sounding concoction of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid, so i won't be trying this anytime soon.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #57
FujiLove
Registered User
 
FujiLove is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bosak View Post
I've always wondered about this sort of thing. The principle seems simple enough - develop, wash off the resulting silver particles, expose the yet-unexposed halide left on the film, and then develop and fix. Mind you, the process described on mr-alvandi.com involves washing off the silver with a nasty sounding concoction of potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid, so i won't be trying this anytime soon.
Joe - there are at least a couple of different methods of reversing B&W film, and they don't all use sulphuric acid. Have a look at this thread over on Photrio where 'Iron Out' is used as a chemical reverser instead of light. It works really well with FP4+

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...me-100.113375/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #58
J enea
Registered User
 
J enea is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Joe - there are at least a couple of different methods of reversing B&W film, and they don't all use sulphuric acid. Have a look at this thread over on Photrio where 'Iron Out' is used as a chemical reverser instead of light. It works really well with FP4+

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...me-100.113375/
yeh, thats my post. its really easy to do, just like normal B&W white film, just a few more steps. and being able to use room temp is much easier than doing color (not that color is hard). the hard part is getting the pot dichromate, which you can get from photo formulary. the other chems are easier to get, and the cost per roll is very inexpensive compared to color slide film

Give it a try. its nice being able to have 1 emulsion that can be used both ways. ask any question and ill try to answer. I can post my process if there is any interest.

seeing a B&W slide is really magical.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #59
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by J enea View Post
yeh, thats my post. its really easy to do, just like normal B&W white film, just a few more steps. and being able to use room temp is much easier than doing color (not that color is hard). the hard part is getting the pot dichromate, which you can get from photo formulary. the other chems are easier to get, and the cost per roll is very inexpensive compared to color slide film

Give it a try. its nice being able to have 1 emulsion that can be used both ways. ask any question and ill try to answer. I can post my process if there is any interest.

seeing a B&W slide is really magical.
Just to rub in what we have lost, in the good old days when beer was 2d a pint etc, you could buy an Agfa process paid B&W slide film and packs of all the chemicals needed for a few cassettes from the usual makers. It's a great pity we can't these days but I keep mentioning it in the hopes of stirring something up.

And they really are special.

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #60
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer
 
ChrisPlatt's Avatar
 
ChrisPlatt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NYC
Age: 58
Posts: 2,838
In USA we have a mail-order lab that specializes in BW reversal processing:

http://dr5.us/index.html

http://dr5.com

Chris
__________________
Bring back the latent image!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #61
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 67
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
In USA we have a mail-order lab that specializes in BW reversal processing:

http://dr5.us/index.html

http://dr5.com

Chris
How is this lab for other services (B&W negs and prints, E6, C41, and scans)?

- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #62
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer
 
ChrisPlatt's Avatar
 
ChrisPlatt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NYC
Age: 58
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
How is this lab for other services (B&W negs and prints, E6, C41, and scans)?
Those are listed below "OTHER PREMIUM SERVICES NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE".

I haven't used them since their recent move so I suggest you call before sending them anything.

Chris
__________________
Bring back the latent image!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #63
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 67
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Those are listed below "OTHER PREMIUM SERVICES NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE".

I haven't used them since their recent move so I suggest you call before sending them anything.

Chris
I apparently didn't look far enough. Thanks.

- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #64
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
The colour in that Kodachrome file that John Carter posted is just beautiful.

Unfortunately, I found this thread too late to know what the "deleted" posts were about, but there's nothing like a good mystery now and then.

About 15 years ago I had my second real camera, a Nikon N6006 w/ a 60 2.8 micro lens, a roll of Kodachrome, and a Nikon 4000 DPI film scanner w/ dig ice. These are the only two shots I can find from that era, but looking at them now, it's too bad that I didn't shoot more slides. Printing the scans on an inkjet to 13x19 was a great way to view Kodachrome too. That 60 Nikkor had a lot of light falloff, but the sharpness made up for that.



  Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018   #65
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Just to rub in what we have lost, in the good old days when beer was 2d a pint etc, you could buy an Agfa process paid B&W slide film and packs of all the chemicals needed for a few cassettes from the usual makers. It's a great pity we can't these days but I keep mentioning it in the hopes of stirring something up.

And they really are special.

Regards, David
You can still do it. There are more than one BW slide kits available (Foma, Bellini, Rollei are just the 3 that I know are currently available) and you can use a number of films with those kits. Adox Scala 160 (otherwise same as Adox Silvermax 100) and Fomapan 100R are marketed directly as BW positive films, but some other films will work great too...
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018   #66
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
You can still do it. There are more than one BW slide kits available (Foma, Bellini, Rollei are just the 3 that I know are currently available) and you can use a number of films with those kits. Adox Scala 160 (otherwise same as Adox Silvermax 100) and Fomapan 100R are marketed directly as BW positive films, but some other films will work great too...
Exactly.
Another BW reversal home developing kit is offered by Klaus Wehner in Germany. Very high quality.
And there are rumors that Adox is working on such a kit, too.

You can also just use professional labs which offer the classic Scala BW reversal process, like Arka in Paris or Photo Studio 13 in Germany (https://www.photostudio13.de/). Or labs with their own chemistry like Agenzialuce in Italy or Marc Marti in Spain.
Photo Studio 13 offers excellent quality and service at very reasonable prices, and international shipment / business.
Here is a list and description of all the films they process in their Scala BW reversal process:
https://www.photostudio13.de/wp-cont...-Juni-2016.pdf

Fact is that we have much more options in BW reversal processing today compared to 25 years ago!

By the way, BW reversal pictures are awesome!

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018   #67
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer
 
ChrisPlatt's Avatar
 
ChrisPlatt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NYC
Age: 58
Posts: 2,838
IMO 35mm slides are too small to view and assess unaided,
and I don't want to do the Colonel Klink routine with a loupe.

I just bought one of these for previewing slides:



It has a comfortably large 6" x 6" flat viewing screen.

Chris
__________________
Bring back the latent image!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018   #68
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
IMO 35mm slides are too small to view and assess unaided,
and I don't want to do the Colonel Klink routine with a loupe.




  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #69
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
slides are expensive,
No, they are even cheaper per shot than color negative. Because after development you already have a perfect finished picture with reversal film. But with negative film you need prints and / or scans in addition, which is both expensive if done right with very good quality.
The overall costs per shot are lower with slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
hard to store safely,
??
Not at all, storing is the same as with negatives. Either in archival sleeves (available both for unmounted and mounted films), or in slide boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
hard to shoot correctly.
Only for very stupid persons who don't know how to use the lightmeter of their camera. Normal photographers with average knowledge who know to work with their lightmeter don't have any problems with reversal film.
A friend of mine is even often shooting slide film with the sunny16 rule in his old folder. It works, quite good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
greater resistance to fading and fungus.
Completely wrong! You should read the long-term storage and archivability tests of Wilhelm Imaging Research. E6 films have a archivability of up to more than 200 years, whereas C41 of less than 100 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Not to mention you could not produce decent copies until the advent of scans.
Also wrong: There has been special slide duplicating film for decades.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #70
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Slide film looks very different than colour neg film even when printed.
So I print.
Correct.
Transparency film has significantly higher resolution, better sharpness and finer grain as color negative film. You see that in the print, you can make bigger enlargements from transparency film.
And the brillant colors are also unique: You cannot get these vibrant, life-like colors from any color negative film.
There is a reason why color prints in museums and art galleries are mostly made from transparencies.
Transparencies, drum-scanned with a real drum-scanner and then printed of the highest quality silver halide papers are a league of their own.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #71
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Nothing wrong with that. If I had an E6 lab nearby, I'd shoot some too. As it is, there's no E6 lab within 200 miles of me so I don't buy and of this Kodak film, nor shoot the dozen or more Astia 100F 220 rolls in my freezer (along with Provia 400X).
Having no local E6 lab is absolutely no reason for not shooting transparency film. You buy your film online and get it send across the country. Easy, daily business in 2018.
The same with using a lab: Send the film for development to them, and a few days later you have the processed film back. Extremely easy and convenient.
It is even more convenient than using a local lab: You have to drive to it, looking (and paying) for parking space, burning fuel etc. Cost a lot of time.

Or just process your E6 at home: It is extremely easy and cost efficient. And you can get perfect quality.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #72
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dulin View Post
OK, maybe calling one film stock's return a "resurgence" is a stretch, but, slide film (specifically ektachrome) seems to be having its time in the light (no pun intended). But what about viewing slides? It seems -honestly- silly to shoot slide film just to have it scanned, and never view it via projector or in one of those Pana-vue viewers. Would it not seem appropriate for Kodak (or someone) to release a new slide projector/ viewing system? Is it already in the works and I just don't know about it? Is the fate of all (color?) film to be scanned to digital and forgotten in a box? Opinions? Jokes? Snide remarks?

ps. I hope this thread is in the appropriate location.
I completely agree with you that only viewing a scanned slide on a computer screen is just throwing away the outstanding quality of a slide.
That is also true for viewing scanned negatives and digital files on computer screens. Because computer screens are the lowest quality mediums for pictures: Extremely low resolution, problems with halftone renditions because of the LCD structure, flat look with absolutely no 3D-pop.

You get a much much better quality by using slide projection and high-quality slide loupes on light-tables.
The difference is really huge compared to computer screens!

Slide projectors are still built new by some companies, e.g.Braun, Gecko-Cam/Götschmann, Jensen.
But the supply of used projectors in excellent conditions is huge. Now is the perfect time to get an excellent projector with the best lens for very little money. You should buy now before the prices are rising again like we see it with cameras for quite some time now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #73
bmattock
Registered User
 
bmattock's Avatar
 
bmattock is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Age: 58
Posts: 10,675
All I remember of slide shows is my time spent as a child in the early 1970s, being forced to sit with my parents through a 2 hour slide show in the home of a German couple's recent vacation back to Germany, complete with loads of slides of things they didn't actually manage to photograph, such as blurry objects through a rain-soaked VW passenger car window of a castle they claimed to be passing by at the time. I recall the husband had an 'interesting' home, including his awards from WWII - not the US side.

It was only years later that I realized my parents had disliked the event as much as I did; we all suffered together.

Not much worse than a slide show. Love me some Kodachrome, but I'll take a slide viewer or a scanned image, thanks.
__________________
Immanentizing the eschaton since 1987.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #74
Argentia1
Registered User
 
Argentia1 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
All I remember of slide shows is my time spent as a child in the early 1970s, being forced to sit with my parents through a 2 hour slide show in the home of a German couple's recent vacation back to Germany, complete with loads of slides of things they didn't actually manage to photograph, such as blurry objects through a rain-soaked VW passenger car window of a castle they claimed to be passing by at the time. I recall the husband had an 'interesting' home, including his awards from WWII - not the US side.

It was only years later that I realized my parents had disliked the event as much as I did; we all suffered together.

Not much worse than a slide show. Love me some Kodachrome, but I'll take a slide viewer or a scanned image, thanks.
You have been bored because the pictures have been boring. Not because of slide projection.
The same happens today every time when "spray-and-pray" digital shooters are coming home from travels and show their 1000-2000 pictures of everything they have seen on their journey.
Presentation of pictures will be boring when the pictures are boring. No matter whether you look at digital pictures, color negatives scans, prints, slides or BW prints or even paintings.
BW prints will be boring if the content on it is boring. Period.

I've seen wonderful slide shows by my friends.
I've seen outstanding slide shows / audivision shows with slide projectors by professional photographers in halls with several hundred visitors.
And, extremely important:
You don't need any audience to enjoy slide projection!!
You can just enjoy this unsurpassed image quality (you cannot get that quality with digital projectors because their extremely low resolution sucks) by yourself:
Have nice music in the background, have a good Single Malt or lovely red vine, or some sweet chocolate: And enjoy your pictures in huge size and unsurpassed brillance on the slide screen!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #75
FujiLove
Registered User
 
FujiLove is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentia1 View Post
You have been bored because the pictures have been boring. Not because of slide projection.
The same happens today every time when "spray-and-pray" digital shooters are coming home from travels and show their 1000-2000 pictures of everything they have seen on their journey.
Presentation of pictures will be boring when the pictures are boring. No matter whether you look at digital pictures, color negatives scans, prints, slides or BW prints or even paintings.
BW prints will be boring if the content on it is boring. Period.

I've seen wonderful slide shows by my friends.
I've seen outstanding slide shows / audivision shows with slide projectors by professional photographers in halls with several hundred visitors.
And, extremely important:
You don't need any audience to enjoy slide projection!!
You can just enjoy this unsurpassed image quality (you cannot get that quality with digital projectors because their extremely low resolution sucks) by yourself:
Have nice music in the background, have a good Single Malt or lovely red vine, or some sweet chocolate: And enjoy your pictures in huge size and unsurpassed brilliance on the slide screen!
Agree 100%

Slides are lovely to shoot and view. I use an incident meter now, which makes shooting slides a piece of cake because they are natural 'highlight meters'. But I also shot bucket loads of slides as a child using the built in light meter in my old Praktica SLR and they turned out just fine. I processed them in the kitchen sink with a basic three bath kit and a kettle full of water, and they are all as good today as they were when I shot them 35 years ago. Not bad considering they spent most of that time in a freezing cold/boiling hot loft!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #76
FujiLove
Registered User
 
FujiLove is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
Not much worse than a slide show. Love me some Kodachrome, but I'll take a slide viewer or a scanned image, thanks.
Go on holiday somewhere photogenic (I recommend Iceland) and shoot some fresh Provia with a medium format camera.

Load the slides into a Rollei or Hasselblad projector. Sit back and prepare to have your mind expanded
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #77
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,754
For over 20 years I used exclusively slow slide film and had large prints made then. The resulting prints looked stunning to my eyes. Fujichrome 50 was my standard film while Fujichrome 100 was my fast film. At one stage, I added Velvia 50 to the mix of films. I avoided negative film.
It is interesting that some photographers are choosing slide film these days.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #78
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
It is interesting that some photographers are choosing slide film these days.
Very very few choose slide.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #79
CMur12
Registered User
 
CMur12 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Moses Lake, Washington, USA
Age: 67
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
...
Load the slides into a Rollei or Hasselblad projector. Sit back and prepare to have your mind expanded
This!

This is my preferred film format. I have 6x6 slides and I still have visions of getting an old Rollei 6x6 projector.

- Murray
__________________
Still shooting film: Medium Format with assorted TLRs; 35mm with manual-focus Minolta SLRs and a Canonet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018   #80
Guth
Observational Documenter
 
Guth is offline
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentia1 View Post
You have been bored because the pictures have been boring. Not because of slide projection.
The same happens today every time when "spray-and-pray" digital shooters are coming home from travels and show their 1000-2000 pictures of everything they have seen on their journey.
Presentation of pictures will be boring when the pictures are boring. No matter whether you look at digital pictures, color negatives scans, prints, slides or BW prints or even paintings.
BW prints will be boring if the content on it is boring. Period.

I've seen wonderful slide shows by my friends.
I've seen outstanding slide shows / audivision shows with slide projectors by professional photographers in halls with several hundred visitors.
And, extremely important:
You don't need any audience to enjoy slide projection!!
You can just enjoy this unsurpassed image quality (you cannot get that quality with digital projectors because their extremely low resolution sucks) by yourself:
Have nice music in the background, have a good Single Malt or lovely red vine, or some sweet chocolate: And enjoy your pictures in huge size and unsurpassed brillance on the slide screen!
All very well stated. I've always figured that if I get some nice images on transparency film I have the added benefit of being able to view them projected on a screen. If the images aren't good enough to make the cut then I probably won't be looking at them much at all anyway.
__________________
My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 22:46.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.