Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Would you trade your Film leica for a Digital Leica?
No way! 317 69.52%
Yes. 95 20.83%
I don't really know it is really a hard decission 44 9.65%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2010   #81
Ljós

No way. Much as I am backlogged with making contact sheets and actual prints in the darkroom... if you took away film and what it entails from me: the look, the niceness of a loaded M2 ;-), pouring over freshly developed negatives on the lightbox... that would be a sad day.

Old 09-26-2010   #82
ndnik

As long as there is 400 speed B&W film available, I'll use my film rangefinders (M4 & M6). I prefer color film to digital, but would feel less of a loss switching to digital for color work. I would not trade my film Ms though.
Maybe some company will produce an affordable digital rangefinder (-like) camera system with a satisfactory user interface (for me, aperture ring, shutter speed dial, and optical viewfinder; manual or automatic focus; almost sounds like x100, doesn't it?). I'll consider adding such a camera to my system.

Old 12-07-2010   #83
pharyngula

I traded my used M8.2 to help fund a new MP. No regrets. No plans to ever trade the MP for a drf. That is not to say I wouldn't add a drf in future but I'm no longer even thinking in terms of replacing film for digital.

Old 12-08-2010   #84
rizraz

Might get another leica film body but don't see digital in the crystal ball at the moment.....

Old 12-08-2010   #85
robklurfield
eclipse

did it once. love my M8, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give up a film camera again. glad to have got an M2 and IIIf to replace the hole left in my heart by my missing M6 and M4.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 12-08-2010   #86
Roberto V.
Le surrčalisme, c'est moi

No way. Maybe I'd trade one of my Canons for a K-5, but I wouldn't trade my M4 or my Contaflex.

flickr
My RFF gallery

Old 12-09-2010   #87
Mr_Flibble

Offered someone my Leica I for his M8 a few weeks ago as a joke. Later I learned he already had a large collection of film Leica cameras

Old 12-09-2010   #88
ruby.monkey

I'd trade *one* of my film Leicas for an M9 - but it wouldn't be the M3.

(MDa, I'm looking at you...)

Old 12-09-2010   #89
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I bought a EOS 10D the other day but i can't say i am as excited about shooting digital as i am when i am out and about with my Leica.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-09-2010   #90
jsrockit

I already traded my film Leicas for digital Leicas. I'm happy I did so.

Old 12-09-2010   #91
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The bizarre thing is that that many have responded with "no". Considering it purely rationally, even people passionately hating digital would in real life trade a considerably lower value film camera for a M9, if only to sell the latter and buy more/better film gear from the profit.

While it is a valid argument that rare, collectible film Leicas whose current value is on a par with that of a new M9 will predictably grow in value where the M9 will drop (so that swapping would be a poor investment in that particular case), it would be extremely surprising if two out of three participants had nothing but a collectible of that grade as their camera.

Old 12-09-2010   #92
chrismoret
RF-addict

Would trade my M4p for a M9, not a M8. And trading for a M8.2 would be doubtful.
tumblr

Old 12-09-2010   #93
pixelatedscraps

Nope. But I will continue to trade my bought-on-a-whim digitals for any number of film cameras until the day I die.

iMac Pro 10-core, 64Gb, 1Tb, Vega 56 | Mac Pro 5,1 2x 3.33Ghz, 64Gb, 480Gb SSD PCIe, 500Gb SSD, 2x 4Tb HDD, RX 560 2Gb, USB-C, EIZO CS2730

PLAY
Mamiya 6 | 50/4 | 75/3.5
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4
Yashica T4 Super

Old 12-09-2010   #94
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
The bizarre thing is that that many have responded with "no". Considering it purely rationally, even people passionately hating digital would in real life trade a considerably lower value film camera for a M9, if only to sell the latter and buy more/better film gear from the profit.

While it is a valid argument that rare, collectible film Leicas whose current value is on a par with that of a new M9 will predictably grow in value where the M9 will drop (so that swapping would be a poor investment in that particular case), it would be extremely surprising if two out of three participants had nothing but a collectible of that grade as their camera.
Can't argue that. In my case, since I don't have and don't want the added expense of buying lenses, I would not. But that isn't really the underlying question. I have and use a digital P&S sometimes. But when I have a chance to shoot, my real love is film. So for me it wouldn't make any sense. The other question is are there film cameras I would give up for a digital, or any other reason? Yeah, a few, like a Minolta SR 101. But many I would keep no matter. I bought them in the first place for a reason that is still valid to me.

Old 12-10-2010   #95
robert blu
quiet photographer

It's complicated! Sometimes I think about getting the m9. Than I ask myself what to do with my m7. I'll probably keep it till sure that m9 is the camera for me and in this case I'll evaluate to sell it later. I have many other film cameras and do not need a duplicate of the digital. One reason to have a RF is to travel light. I do not see myself travelling with two RF's. Eventually one RF + one SLR (actually it is m7 + FM2). And when travelling with my wife she will have in a short time a pretty good DSLR, which I could use in case of need (tele lens etc). On the other side I do not like to sell my cameras, they are a part of me, my life, my story.
As I said it is complicated...
robert
PS: I voted option 3 !

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-21-2015   #96
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Not long ago I traded a number of film cameras including very nice Bronica's, Barnack clones, Canon P's, Nikon and Canon SLR's and a D90 for a Sony a6000, a D750 and a brace of E mount and FX lenses. Although I did keep a few Nikon SLR's (and have already replaced a few that I regretted divesting) and some nice F mount and LTM lenses, I'm presently without a film RF. Sometime in the near future I hope to find a good deal on an M2 to remedy that since I plan to soon have more time to spend in the darkroom.

As convenient as digital is, it just isn't quite a replacement for film. More like a companion.

Old 02-21-2015   #97
John Bragg

Not in a fit ! My M6 is a lifetime investment. Digital is not for me thanks.

Old 02-21-2015   #98
Brian Atherton

Voted 'No'.

I'm buying more film cameras - I now have a M6 TTL 'Millennium', IIIb, Rolleiflex 6006, Rolleiflex 6008 Integral, Rolleiflex Automat X - not getting rid of them.

Apart from my iPhone I have one digital (a D90). If this was my last digital, it wouldn't bother me.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-21-2015   #99
gnuyork

I shoot both film and digital, and there's no way I'd trade my M6 for a digital anything.

I have several digital cams and DSLRs, (and have shot with Phase One - digital backs) and the only digital that's even giving me close to the image quality satisfaction is my Sigma DP2 Merrill. Not trying to debate a film vs digital for IQ, just that the satisfaction I get from it.

For convenience, I'm afraid to say, digital trumps, and that's why i shoot less film. But I plan to change that this year....Now, need to go mix up some Xtol today....

Old 02-21-2015   #100
pete hogan

The IIf stays.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 02-21-2015   #101
mdarnton

When I bought my Nikon D300, I sold my Leica M4-2 kit to buy it. That was a mistake I won't repeat, that took a couple of thousand bucks to reverse. Never again will I make a mistake like that!
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 02-21-2015   #102
Out to Lunch

It will depend where I'll be working and living in the coming years. If it is in a country where the 35mm film infrastructure has collapsed, I would not mind to sell most of my 35mm gear. If not, I would not mind using all of the 35mm film cameras I own today.

Old 02-21-2015   #103
Sid836

I have done a long way from digital to film. Feels nice with it. Doing my fun with no much worry about sensor problems like speckles of dust and it has help me discover the real fun of photography through all kinds of imperfections of the film. No way I get back to digital. I had enough of it.
I would trade my Zenit 122 for an M8 though. Just because.

Old 02-21-2015   #104
B-9
Devin Bro

I would, and I did.

I replaced my barnack lust with a Leica X1. So much easier for daily snapping and sharing family photos via Facebook.

I love film, so I am now focusing more on medium format and leaving 35mm in exchange for the beautiful X1, which feels so similar to my Leica III, very portable.

Still, would love a M9 and ide proly forget film altogether if I could afford one with the appropriate Summilux...
So never.. ha

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 02-21-2015   #105
pakeha

so what exactly is the question huh?
Lets assume the non poll question is what you meant.
Having dropped both film and digital cameras...well we all know which comes off best.
If you meant Leica , well if I owned one i would, in an instant.
Just to get my hand off it.....know what i mean?

Old 02-21-2015   #106
sjones

No, I moved from digital to film, and I have no desire at this stage to switch back.

RFF, the best joint to get your fill of rangefinder bashing!

Old 02-21-2015   #107
BenJT

I use both, but if I could only use one it would be film. Everything about it, from the aesthetic to the process, I find tremendously more appealing.

Personal Work Tumblr // Flickr

Old 02-21-2015   #108
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Five years old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrius View Post
So i woke up this morning and i went straight to my desk where i have my camera just to make sure i didn't trade it for an M9 and that it was just a dream (or a nightmare?).
Would you trade your Leica for a M8 or M8.2 or even M9? Why?
It seems they are more outdated than my Canon 5D in terms of the sensor capabilities. I might be wrong with M9, but M8 is the cropper and I have enough of it with primes on digital, before I was able to get FF.

Instead, I have crazy idea to "trade" 5D and 50L for M6 and newer Crone.
The only thing which is holding me is my family photography, where ultra fast AF and f1.2 aren't useless.

Old 02-21-2015   #109
Mcary

No I would not trade my Crown Graphic for a digital camera.

Old 02-21-2015   #110
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcary View Post
No I would not trade my Crown Graphic for a digital camera.
ATM considering to sell some 135 film gear, but only to fund 120 film, not to fund digital...
And no, I won't sell MF gear either. My current MF scans really are in the D700s face, IQ wise

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-21-2015   #111
Thardy

My M6 for the M240? I would have done that yesterday.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 02-21-2015   #112
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I traded my film Leica MP in on my M240. The M240 was a legitimate need for what I do in photography and there was no way I could ever afford the M240 without trading in my MP and a lot of Nikon lenses and a near mint Nikon FM2-T.

I miss some of my Nikon glass, but I don't regret making the trade. As for the MP, I don't regret its absence. I still have an M4-P with the MP viewfinder upgrade.

Old 02-21-2015   #113
zuiko85

Why, when you can buy some pretty good used digital stuff cheap?

Old 02-21-2015   #114
CMur12

My sense of the original question is that the OP wanted to know if we would give up all of our film equipment to go exclusively digital (though, granted, he was talking Leicas).

I will probably add digital to my photography at some point, but I'm not willing to part with my film gear to do it.

Right now, I have a few cameras that would benefit from a CLA, probably adding up to the same expense as a new digital camera, so digital will just have to wait that much longer.

- Murray

Old 02-21-2015   #115
richard_l

There's no way I would trade either my M2 or M6 for a digital. It would be like trading immortality for mortality, not that I dislike digital photography.

Old 02-22-2015   #116
leicapixie

Five years has seen so many more new models of Digital.
Leica changing a model with regularity.
A new Monochrome a changed 240..all coming.
My M3 which was new when it became mine in 67 still going..
Ziggy has seen vast changes in my birth country, birth of my daughter, my travels in everyday and around the world..
I always played with photography whether for Me or PRO job.
If it ain't fun, it's not worth doing.
I love film, I think scanning sucks but it is a means to an end.
So the digital is covered by inexpensive point and shoots.
Stuff for internet..party pix etc.
Film for pure joy.
The answer is still No, Non, Nein, Nyet, Nie!

Old 02-23-2015   #117
Doug

I bought an M8, traded a Nikon S3 for a second used M8, bought a used M9 and sold it to finance an M(240), but throughout this I've kept my M2. Looks like I'll keep the M8's too...

Old 02-23-2015   #118
f16sunshine

In 35mm, I would trade my cameras and workflow...yes.
The B+W film image characteristics .... no. There lies the dilemma.

Old 02-27-2015   #119
thompsonks

After swinging both ways, I traded all that remained of my film gear for a Monochrom. That even included the black M4 that I'd used since 1972. And I'm delighted with the outcome.

Kirk

Old 02-27-2015   #120
rwintle
Scientist by day

None of my film cameras are particularly noteworthy or valuable. I'd trade any of them for a brand-new, full frame DSLR.

Sorry, that's probably not the intent of this question is it?