Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

KIEV 4AM shutter won't wind, just spins
Old 02-22-2014   #1
Vintage35

KIEV 4AM shutter won't wind, just spins

I've googled and searched and can't find my problem per-say. I just got it from eBay and bought it knowing... "Broken, Shutter won't click"... well the real problem is it won't wind, the wind knob just spins indefinitely. and won't catch. the shutter release button seems to be up, The shutters are in the down position and can be pushed "up" and they spring back down so the ribbons seem ok. Other than tearing it apart, I'd like to know if there is a quick fix first, these cameras seem to have winding quirks so I've read.

Old 02-22-2014   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

4AM is well known junk. Nothing to google. Put it on recycle.

Old 02-23-2014   #3
wolves3012

Take the back off and see if the sprocket will turn freely or is locked. If it spins, the camera is probably somehow stuck in "rewind" mode. Chances are there's no easy fix and not taking it apart.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2014   #4
Vintage35

The sprocket and spool spin as I wind, if I push up on the little rod under the sprocket it frees up the sprocket for rewinding and pops back down when I wind on as it should. It's not catching on the shutter and energizing it. I'm planning on taking the top and shutter cover off, not sure what to look for, any help would be great, NOT planning on scraping it...

Old 02-23-2014   #5
agfa100

You do know to go here for help on taking it apart, right..... good luck and have fun....

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbc...20repairs.html

wbill

Old 02-23-2014   #6
Vintage35

Yes I do . I did open it up and everything looks ok, no broken springs or bent gears, the shutter release rod is stuck down, (this model doesn't have the red dots you line up) If I pull up on the shutter speed dial I can see the gears lift up, engage the gears that power the shutter, it stops as it should but releases the shutter as soon as I lower the shutter speed knob (because the shutter release rod is stuck down) I've given it a shot or two of Lighter fluid, there must be a gear somewhere that isn't telling the shutter release rod to rise..

Old 02-23-2014   #7
Rangefinderfreak

Soviet Precision engineering... designed to be so, that the capitalists trying to save money, would spend useless time figuring it out.

Old 02-23-2014   #8
Vintage35

Perhaps some Pawl or gear hasn't completed a cycle, preventing the shutter release button-rod to stick down? any tricks on getting it back in sequence?

Old 02-24-2014   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinderfreak View Post
Soviet Precision engineering... designed to be so, that the capitalists trying to save money, would spend useless time figuring it out.
Hi,

OTOH, it's lasted 50 years or so. I guess they got something right.

I blame digital, once they took over a lot of decent cameras like this were put away and forgotten, for what? 20 years or so. Still it happens to the best as well, just look at the problems people have elsewhere on these forums. Luckily, they can be sorted out and the camera made as good as new.

Regards, David

Old 02-25-2014   #10
Vintage35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves3012 View Post
Take the back off and see if the sprocket will turn freely or is locked. If it spins, the camera is probably somehow stuck in "rewind" mode. Chances are there's no easy fix and not taking it apart.
It's not stuck in rewind, on this model the rewind button is a detente position on one of the bottom back-removal levers and it simply unlocks the film sprocket free to rewind, there are no gears connected to the sprocket or take up spool (in rewind) as this model has the built in take up spool that is on a clutch, much like the Nicca 3-s, it free spins backward on the clutch (yes a stiff rewind indeed)

I've taken it down to top-plate and film plate removal to expose the shutter gears, no luck so far, my next step is to remove the shutter mechanism from the frame to get a better look and easier access to flip Pawl's and springs and gears to hopefully free it up

Old 03-05-2014   #11
Vintage35

Ok the shutter rod/button thingy was literally stuck, gummed up. I got the shutter assembly taken off , played around with it trying to see if it wasn't something that didn't complete a cycle or something and finally figured out the disc (the one the self timer fork pushes down on) was probably my best bet if I forced it up, sure enough, after a good dousing with more Naptha the gears and button work smooth. I also figured out that testing the shutter (at least for me that is) only works if you put the film guide/plate back over it like it's in the camera, that helps the little arm grab the lower shutter curtain better while winding and exposing.

Should I oil anything? what not to oil?

Old 03-06-2014   #12
farlymac
PF McFarland

Not sure exactly what you would lubricate, but I wouldn't use oil. A good synthetic grease like Super Lube on shafts and such will help.

PF

Old 03-06-2014   #13
agfa100

The recommendation is for using watch oils VERY VERY lightly, just google mail order watch parts suppliers. Once everything is clean it should work a lot better, the amount of oil you use is almost nothing...... Too much will just cause everything to gum up quickly.

wbill

Old 03-09-2014   #14
Vintage35

It's done

Old 03-09-2014   #15
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
4AM is well known junk. Nothing to google. Put it on recycle.
check out the previous post from vintage 35