No Maccas in Tecoma
Old 06-30-2013   #1
mugent

No Maccas in Tecoma

Just taking a break from the protest in the hills town of Tecoma, Melbourne. The protest is against the building of a McDonalds 'restaurant' in the town...

I don't claim to be impartial here, 9 out of 10 people in the town voted against it, the council voted against it, but Maccas managed to get the permit anyway, figure that one out...

If you want to know more about the campaign, please visit www.burgeroff.org

For those who want to know, photos were taken with a Sigma DP2M

Old 06-30-2013   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Thanks for the link to that blog ... I wasn't aware of the situation in Tecoma.

These fast food giants, this one in particular, disgust me!

Old 06-30-2013   #3
Contarama

Amazing that 9 out of 10 people in the town voted no yet they are still trying to build it. Who do they think will eat there?

If you Australians keep doing things like you all are doing you might just someday have an immigration problem because everyone will want to move there!

Old 06-30-2013   #4
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Amazing that 9 out of 10 people in the town voted no yet they are still trying to build it. Who do they think will eat there?

If you Australians keep doing things like you all are doing you might just someday have an immigration problem because everyone will want to move there!
It's going to be a drive-through, I think Maccas know that Tecoma residents won't go near it, but they'll get passing traffic (they hope).

To make matters worse, a historic building (the only one in Tecoma) is being demolished to make way for it.
Tecoma is on the border of the Dandenongs National Park, so all that McDonalds litter will probably find it's way into the stomachs of the endangered wildlife that live there.

Old 06-30-2013   #5
pakeha

Bolivia is on to it.
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...mcdonalds.html

Old 06-30-2013   #6
Rodchenko
Olympian

Jose Bove had the right idea.

Old 06-30-2013   #7
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
I hope other countries follow this example. I have no problem with fast food in principle, I love a kebab, but it needs to be in a appropriate location, I wouldn't want to see a kebab shop on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Old 06-30-2013   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugent View Post
It's going to be a drive-through, I think Maccas know that Tecoma residents won't go near it, but they'll get passing traffic (they hope).

To make matters worse, a historic building (the only one in Tecoma) is being demolished to make way for it.
Tecoma is on the border of the Dandenongs National Park, so all that McDonalds litter will probably find it's way into the stomachs of the endangered wildlife that live there.

That fact that the Tecoma residents will probably give the place a swerve doesn't change some other statistics unfortunately. A fast food outlet will attract a different type of person into the area and the associated litter won't do a lot for the environment. I also noted that in their usual fashion Maccas have located the outlet close to a school!

Old 06-30-2013   #9
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That fact that the Tecoma residents will probably give the place a swerve doesn't change some other statistics unfortunately. A fast food outlet will attract a different type of person into the area and the associated litter won't do a lot for the environment. I also noted that in their usual fashion Maccas have located the outlet close to a school!
Yes, it's opposite the local school,I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence that those kids will see the golden arches through the window.

I guess when the planning minister in charge of this stuff is being looked at for corruption, this stuff shouldn't surprise us...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pla...-1226647864986

Old 06-30-2013   #10
skibeerr

This is sad and revolting.

There is an abundance of fast food in OZ and when a town makes a stand against it they are ignored. I do hope the people of Tecoma keep up their spirits and refuse to go there.

Old 06-30-2013   #11
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibeerr View Post
This is sad and revolting.

There is an abundance of fast food in OZ and when a town makes a stand against it they are ignored. I do hope the people of Tecoma keep up their spirits and refuse to go there.
I'm sure Tecoma residents will avoid it, the strength of feeling here is very strong.

What is most annoying is that the town stood up and said now, the COUNCIL said no, but it still happens, how many people need to vote no for it to be taken seriously?

Old 06-30-2013   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm just amazed that the state planning authorities seem to be able to over ride all local opposition to this ... that sucks!

Old 06-30-2013   #13
pakeha

Quote:
I'm just amazed that the state planning authorities seem to be able to over ride all local opposition to this ... that sucks!
9 out of 10 people in the town voted against it

apparently its called democracy - why i`ve given up on voting for anything

Old 07-01-2013   #14
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
9 out of 10 people in the town voted against it

apparently its called democracy - why i`ve given up on voting for anything
The council vote against was unanimous, not a single councillor voted for it, why do we elect people if their decisions are overridden?

Old 07-01-2013   #15
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
The council vote against was unanimous, not a single councillor voted for it, why do we elect people if their decisions are overridden?
They're there for "window dressing". Whoops! Sorry, I was reading from the wrong part of the manual. "Extensive local consultation" is the preferred term of art.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 07-01-2013   #16
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The local shopping center had a Hungry Jacks with a drive thru open recently. What was a fairly low key suburban shopping centre car park now looks like a circus and smells like like a dirty barbeque plate!

Old 07-01-2013   #17
mugent

I was at the protest again today, there is a large police presence, most very nice and respectful, but some were trawling the car park looking for any un-roadworthy vehicles owned by the protesters, which is just spiteful.
Channel 7 and the ABC were filming today, so keep a look out on your TVs!

Old 07-01-2013   #18
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Surely there comes a point where the negative PR for McDonalds overcomes the need to get their own way. To keep pushing this seems foolish to me!

As for the police ...

Old 07-01-2013   #19
mugent

Quote:
Surely there comes a point where the negative PR for McDonalds overcomes the need to get their own way. To keep pushing this seems foolish to me!

As for the police ...
Indeed, I don't know what they are thinking, the damage to the brand is enormous, they could use the situation to their advantage, make a 'McDonalds' garden in it's place or something, stop them from appearing 100% evil, just a little bit evil :-)

Old 07-01-2013   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Fast food is never going to 'go away' and this company has been blowing it's trumpet over the years about changes in packaging and reductions of salt, sugar, fat etc.

I agree ... to back off gracefully here would probably do them more good than harm image wise.

Old 07-01-2013   #21
Thardy

Oh well, they'll get used to it. The majority of people here were against a lot of things a few short years ago.

Protests seem to make good photos though.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 07-01-2013   #22
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
Oh well, they'll get used to it. The majority of people here were against a lot of things a few short years ago.

Protests seem to make good photos though.
People may have to put up with things they don't like, but Australia is supposed to be democratic, in this case, it clearly isn't.

Old 07-01-2013   #23
john_s

Quote:

As for the police ...
I suppose there comes a point where they give up, but it's a lot further down the track than you'd think. Remember the McLibel case in the uk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

And on the subject of the police, they infiltrated the little band of greens to "help" create the aforementioned piece of libel:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ju...bert-mcdonalds

Old 07-01-2013   #24
Thardy

Quote:
People may have to put up with things they don't like, but Australia is supposed to be democratic, in this case, it clearly isn't.
Yeah, same as in US.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 07-01-2013   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The thing that gets me about companies like McDonalds is that there's a public perception of them doing good in the community via various charities and organisations. The only people McDonalds help are themselves ... that wonderfully benign clown that represents them is probably responsible for generations of children becoming hooked on fast food and its associated health issues.

No better than the morally bereft tobacco companies IMO ... they (Maccas) probably ruin the lives of as many people (health wise) but get a free run with virtually no regulation applied to what they are doing. Any ten year old can walk in and order 2300 kilojoules of Big Mac poison any time they want ... a couple of those a day may even finish them off quicker than a smoking habit!

Old 07-02-2013   #26
mugent

Quote:
The thing that gets me about companies like McDonalds is that there's a public perception of them doing good in the community via various charities and organisations. The only people McDonalds help are themselves ... that wonderfully benign clown that represents them is probably responsible for generations of children becoming hooked on fast food and its associated health issues.

No better than the morally bereft tobacco companies IMO ... they (Maccas) probably ruin the lives of as many people (health wise) but get a free run with virtually no regulation applied to what they are doing. Any ten year old can walk in and order 2300 kilojoules of Big Mac poison any time they want ... a couple of those a day may even finish them off quicker than a smoking habit!
Society doesn't really recognize the danger of poor diet, especially in the young, where growth can really be affected by poor nutrition. I believe a grown adult should be able to eat whatever crap they want, but I've seen mothers give a toddler a bag of crisps (chips for US readers) and a can of Coke for breakfast, that makes my skin crawl a bit.

After another day of protesting, I should say that the behaviour of the local police has been great, friendly and understanding of our cause. The Victoria State Police were less pleasant.

Old 07-02-2013   #27
mugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
I suppose there comes a point where they give up, but it's a lot further down the track than you'd think. Remember the McLibel case in the uk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLibel_case

And on the subject of the police, they infiltrated the little band of greens to "help" create the aforementioned piece of libel:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ju...bert-mcdonalds
There are undercover police officers at the protest in Tecoma, they stand out like a sore thumb, it's quite laughable.

Old 07-24-2013   #28
mugent

More from Tecoma...

8 of our community members are being sued by McDonalds now, for protesting...

Old 07-24-2013   #29
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
More from Tecoma...

8 of our community members are being sued by McDonalds now, for protesting...

WHAT?

F*** them ... it'll be a dark day before I ever set foot in a McDonalds again!

Old 07-24-2013   #30
mugent

Quote:
WHAT?

F*** them ... it'll be a dark day before I ever set foot in a McDonalds again!
Indeed, **** them, you can read more about it here...

http://tecoma8.org/

Old 07-24-2013   #31
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'd like to see about twenty thousand protestors converge on the place ... and see how they deal with that!

Old 07-24-2013   #32
mugent

Quote:
I'd like to see about twenty thousand protestors converge on the place ... and see how they deal with that!
I'd like to see that too, there is a march happening this weekend, hopefully it'll match the previous one of 3k people turning up,but I think the civil case might scaring people off...

Old 07-24-2013   #33
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
The interim injunction in place until the 1st August, not only places restrictions on the 8 people served but anybody who entered the McDonald’s site, without their consent, between 1 and 17 July 2013 and anybody who impeded the access of workers or vehicles to the McDonald’s site between 1 and 17 July 2013.

The injunction not only prevents all those covered from protesting non-violently within a specified area but also prevents them encouraging others to continue to non-violently resist the demolition at the site. The judge said that social media was not to be used by those covered by the injunction as “a call to arms”. The McDonald’s lawyers brought into court as evidence reams of screenshots from social media. This is arguably the most undemocratic and controversial part of the interim order.
(My emphasis.)

Arguably! Too bleedin' right you could argue that. Where are all our fine establishment "defenders of free speech" for this one? Andrew Bolt, perhaps. Of course he would stand up to the big end of town in support of such a dearly held principle!

I thought not...

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 08-06-2013   #34
mugent

An unpleasant day at the protest today, a police officer took it upon him to attack a protester, unprovoked. Since when is using stilts a criminal offence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMUEmKEbfaE

Old 08-07-2013   #35
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
An unpleasant day at the protest today, a police officer took it upon him to attack a protester, unprovoked. Since when is using stilts a criminal offence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMUEmKEbfaE

Bloody hell!

Several things strike me about the current situation ... the government via it's personal militia is happy to protect big business, which is no surprise.

And I wouldn't be a cop for all the Noctiluxes in the world ... they generally just looked bewildered and wishing like hell they were doing something else!

Thanks a lot for the update and your personal take on this.