Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

get a winder?
Old 06-20-2013   #1
back alley
IMAGES

get a winder?

if my xd11 advance lever is problematic...would using a winder help?

one of my xd11 bodies has a problem with double exposure/needing to be wound twice occasionally to advance the film one frame...would using a winder side step that issue?

Old 06-20-2013   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

You would think that a motor winder would cure something like that. But something else might be in play here. A worn spring could be letting the film transport not advance due to a catch pawl not locking into place. Most of that takes place at the top of the camera, with the shutter works being at the bottom.

PF

Old 06-20-2013   #3
back alley
IMAGES

..A worn spring could be letting the film transport not advance due to a catch pawl not locking into place...
say wha?

i am not a handy guy...lol!
the camera had a recent cla but the lever advance had something not repairable about it...to quote, ' winding lever latch control is broken and cannot be repaired.'
my understanding about that was the advance lever did a complete return to the body and would not stay in an away position, at the ready.

Old 06-20-2013   #4
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

For the going price of a winder it's worth trying...

Been thinking of getting one for my Canon A-1 just to protect the nice clean bottom...
pf

Old 06-20-2013   #5
pakeha

This may or may not help.
I picked up two Minolta x series cameras from the local thrift store.Both of them had wind on problems.I discovered that the build quality of the lever and key that the lever locks into was pretty average.The lever would not 'lock' into the 'cutout' as the square section was badly worn.It would occasionally wind on fully but mostly not.In the end I made a new lever for one of them which solved problem..since on sold.
Take the lever off and see if it is seating correctly on the top of the shaft. Its a one screw removal job I believe.

Old 06-20-2013   #6
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
For the going price of a winder it's worth trying...
cheap on eBay but they get you on shipping!

Old 06-20-2013   #7
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Shipping to Canada can get pricey...
pf

Old 06-20-2013   #8
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
This may or may not help.
I picked up two Minolta x series cameras from the local thrift store.Both of them had wind on problems.I discovered that the build quality of the lever and key that the lever locks into was pretty average.The lever would not 'lock' into the 'cutout' as the square section was badly worn.It would occasionally wind on fully but mostly not.In the end I made a new lever for one of them which solved problem..since on sold.
Take the lever off and see if it is seating correctly on the top of the shaft. Its a one screw removal job I believe.
If that is the problem a machine shop might be able to make the part for not too much money.

Old 06-21-2013   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
one of my xd11 bodies has a problem with double exposure/needing to be wound twice occasionally to advance the film one frame...would using a winder side step that issue?
I never had a Minolta other than the SRT and CLE. But in general, YMMV. If having to wind a second time is due to wear or dirt in the lever gearing (and the XD11 should be modern enough to use a direct winder drive independent of the lever gears), a winder might help. If the issue is somewhere closer to the shutter or take-up spool and affects both lever and winder transport, chances are that the camera will be even worse off on the winder, as that will at the very best light up a error lamp, and won't cheat and wind a second time like you do by hand.

Overall I've had more cameras which I eventually had to use without motor/winder when they developed reliability problems than vice versa - but that may be due to the fact that my heavy use cameras were predominantly worn out using a motor, not the lever.

Old 06-21-2013   #10
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
if my xd11 advance lever is problematic...would using a winder help?

Some topical discussion here regarding winder and double exposures Joe. The comments made seem to suggest the answer to your question might be "yes".

From a quick look through the (detailed, and informative) repair manual linked from the above page (pdf here) I would not have thought replacing the relevant parts to actually fix the problem should be a big deal, or a time consuming job, for a competent technician.

They're very very different under the top cover from the SRT I repaired last week. Chalk and cheese.
Cheers,
Brett