Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

like riding a bike!
Old 06-17-2013   #1
back alley
IMAGES

like riding a bike!

one does not forget the often repeated motions of shooting a manual focus film slr...and when one initiates that sequence of actions after a long period of dormancy...it feels good!

say wha?

i went out today, with my 2 xd11 bodies (one black and one chrome) along with a 28 and 58 attached...and it was a very nice experience.
the winding of film and the loud kerplunk of the mirror brought up memories of old...
i was even stopped by a lovely young lady who wanted to admire my gear and talk about old film cameras...what a pleasant experience that was.

i need to finish the film in both cameras and make sure that all is well...so far the cameras have behaved admirably, the meters are in complete sync and the lance straps just look so sweet on all that metal!

Old 06-17-2013   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

You're inspiring me to pull out the Nikon F and do the same thing ... make some photos with it! It's been a while since I had it out.

After I finish the roll in the CL, though. That was this morning's choice.

G

Old 06-17-2013   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'm looking at my OM-1 ..... !

Old 06-17-2013   #4
Austintatious

Funny, I got my XD-11 out of the cabnet just last night. Trying to choose a Rokkor and which film to load up. Sweet cameras they is

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 06-17-2013   #5
Richard G

Used the M2 at the weekend. So much smaller than the M9, nicer to carry in the hand, hanging off the thumb by the advance lever. My most used SLR is a Pentax Spotmatic with no battery, given to me by a client. Beautiful object, and also a longer focal length Super Takumar, 55mm, which gives a wonderful perspective.

Old 06-17-2013   #6
kshapero
Press the Shutter

That's why I keep my Nikon's. Those days out are precious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-17-2013   #7
pakeha

And the 'young lady' had no comment to make on the bag?
I was looking at an EP3 in store today told the guy I would think on it then got home to find my sons baking so I got the flash onto my mamiya zm and took a few quick snaps..and I was thinking exactly what you posted.
A 'lovely middle aged' lady gave me a wink.

Old 06-17-2013   #8
dotur
od karnevala

Hello Keith!
I am just in mid-roll with my OM-1

dotur's photo albums

Old 06-17-2013   #9
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I've had a similar thought and feeling these last few times I've gone out with the 4x5 camera...setting it up and getting it ready to take a shot wasn't too bad, it was the fine tuning of the focusing where I think I need my training wheels again...
Some of the swing movements were a bit trying to get it right...
pf

Old 06-17-2013   #10
Sparrow

... this discerning RFF'er has no intention of riding a bicycle

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 06-18-2013   #11
gbealnz

Must be the time of year. I'm having a second look at film, in an M2, as well as a pair of Leicaflex SL's.
Fun times ahead.
Gary

Old 06-18-2013   #12
Photo_Smith

I just took out the Nikkormat EL and love the shutter sound. Last week used the M4P on a cycle ride/picnic for the first time this year. The Rolleiflex is in my lap-I feel my fingers itching...
You're right about that old SLR feel, big viewfinder, manual everything and a feel that the while thing was made to last.

Old 06-18-2013   #13
oftheherd

Joe,

Glad you were able to enjoy old memories with a film camera. I still enjoy them myself. I still like film, film cameras, and exploring folders and drop beds. But my Fujica and Contax still get use too, as well as a smattering of other film cameras. And picking up an older camera that has been learned before just takes a moment to remember its quirks. As you say, just like riding a bike.

I never got the bug for Minolta, but never heard anything bad about them. I do have an XG1, and gave one to my daughter. Nice cameras and their glass always got good reviews.

Go enjoy again!

Old 06-18-2013   #14
Griffin
Grampa's cameras user

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i was even stopped by a lovely young lady who wanted to admire my gear and talk about old film cameras...what a pleasant experience that was.
And how often were you stopped by lovely young ladies while shooting digital?

Old 06-18-2013   #15
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
The thing I always notice is the sheer speed of using a film camera with a prime lens. I try to keep the camera preset, so all I have to do is point and shoot.

The C/V Bessa L is brilliant in that regard.
This is why the Ricoh GR has become my new mistress - with the Snap focus enabled she's (and she's a "she") every bit as fast as my M2 when it comes to shutter release, and even a bit faster in multiple exposures when you factor in the time it takes to wind the film.

But no, she'll never give the same tactile enjoyment as the M2.

Old 06-18-2013   #16
zuiko85

About the only cameras I take out are old film cameras. I will get enamored with one for a couple of months and then switch affection to another one. Fickle like that I am.

Never been stopped by lovely young ladies though, even using a 6X9 Kodak Tourist folder. Amazingly the only time I've gotten comments about my photographic gear was just a month ago with a homemade plywood and cardboard 4X5 (no really, it's made out of 1/4 inch hobby ply and corrugated box material and sports a 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat from an ancient Autographic). In an hour or so I must have had 10 people ask about it including several "greeners".

* "Greener"; slang term for students at a local liberal arts college near where I live, Olympia, Washington state.

Old 06-18-2013   #17
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Yup, my first "real" camera was a Minolta SRT-101. I loved that camera. I've been through a slew of manual film SLRs since then, but they're all relatively interchangeable (on of the great things about them, as you mentioned). I settled on Spotmatics, as I love M42 glass.

Old 06-18-2013   #18
back alley
IMAGES

speaking of glass...why are the 85mm minolta lenses so pricey? (compared to their other lenses anyway)

Old 06-18-2013   #19
zuiko85

Quote:
speaking of glass...why are the 85mm minolta lenses so pricey? (compared to their other lenses anyway)
Check Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, etc., I think you will find most 85mm lenses hold up in price very well. Eight years past I paid $200 for a clean Zuiko 85 for my OM system. I also think supply and demand has the usual effect on price. The 85mm f1.7 Rokkor was one of the fastest 85's and has obtained a cult following from what I understand.

Old 06-18-2013   #20
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Hi,

I wish I knew, then I'd do something about it.

Same with Pentax and Olympus, FWIW...

Regards, David