Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Facebook?
Old 05-22-2013   #1
ChrisN
Striving

Facebook?

OK - total novice here where Facebook is concerned.

In the "Alternatives to Flickr" thread someone mentioned using Facebook as a way to display their photos.

Can someone show me what this looks like? I'd love to see how people are using this.

I do have a Facebook login but no idea what to do with it!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-22-2013   #2
pakeha

You have a couple of options Chris. Once you login go to your page - then click on photos which is a blue icon just under your main picture, then click on albums and you will see a create new album box - then start uploading into album, create new album again and so on.
it is very easy.
You can also simply upload onto the news feed page and these photos will be stored for you in an uploads album.
There are often notices going around FB concerning the ability of FB to use your images, check this throughout in the user agreement.Me, i dont care.
If you upload to the main page [ news feed] then folks can `share` your images around - if that is what you want.Probably not a first choice but it all depends on what you wish to achieve.

Old 05-22-2013   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It pretty much works like any other hosting site Chris ... you can right click on your images and copy the URL.

The main compromise is the layout of the thumbnails which are all cropped square ... photobucket now does the same thing.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3756379&type=3

Old 05-22-2013   #4
ChrisN
Striving

Thanks Keith - that's what I needed to see!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-22-2013   #5
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Am I correct in thinking Facebook has a similar take on photographer's copyright as Flickr now e.g. If we want to use your pics for our purposes we will.

It may not be an issue to many nor myself as I don't post pics on FB or rarely use it in general, but I am curious if this was just a t'internet rumour or had some truth to it.

| SLP: Work website

Old 05-22-2013   #6
Mr_Flibble

The quality loss is rather noticable in my opinion, certainly with image sizes of 640x426 that I tend to use for anything I upload.

I'm told Facebook also removes exif information and there's the whole privacy thing.

But yeah, you can click on the star at the top right of your album to get the 'public' link to it (people without an FB account can see it too)
Or you right-click on a single image in the album and get the URL that way.

(Facebook upload)

(From my own site)

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 05-22-2013   #7
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurManInTangier View Post
Am I correct in thinking Facebook has a similar take on photographer's copyright as Flickr now e.g. If we want to use your pics for our purposes we will.

It may not be an issue to many nor myself as I don't post pics on FB or rarely use it in general, but I am curious if this was just a t'internet rumour or had some truth to it.
Not to derail my own thread, but if you read the Flickr Terms of Service I think you'd be more confident that Flickr is not out to use your photos.

I have not studied the Facebook TOS yet, but I'm off to hunt for that now.

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-22-2013   #8
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Apologies, I should have thought through the implications of that question before making such a casual enquiry! I must admit I'm not a Flickr user either so I am, rather daftly, basing this on more internet rumour and gossip - it's early here and I haven't finished my morning coffee, perhaps I better drink up

Old 05-22-2013   #9
ChrisN
Striving

On the Facebook privacy issue - I understand I can add a photo, and define a level of accessibility such that it is visible to everyone (as Keith's photos must be for me to see them), or visible only to my "Friends".

One question - would my content be visible to Friends of Friends? I have friends who have Friends who are not my friends (in the non-Facebook sense).

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-22-2013   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
OK - total novice here where Facebook is concerned.

In the "Alternatives to Flickr" thread someone mentioned using Facebook as a way to display their photos.

Can someone show me what this looks like? I'd love to see how people are using this.

I do have a Facebook login but no idea what to do with it!
I would never use FB as a hosting site. Their terms of service make the recent flap over Adobe's CC stuff look all "pink fluffy bunny happiness." ;-)
FB is the most impenetrable waste of time to be foisted on the internet since it was created.

G

Old 05-22-2013   #11
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It pretty much works like any other hosting site Chris ... you can right click on your images and copy the URL.

The main compromise is the layout of the thumbnails which are all cropped square ... photobucket now does the same thing.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3756379&type=3
The really big compromise is having to put up with Facebook's habit of claiming ownership of everything you post.

Old 05-22-2013   #12
Mr_Flibble

If you can see my FB image in the post above, it means the privacy settings on FB are a joke

Quote:
One question - would my content be visible to Friends of Friends? I have friends who have Friends who are not my friends (in the non-Facebook sense).
The privacy settings in FB will only limit to what people can see and find through FB. If you post the 'Public' link to an album, or copy the URL of an image directly into a post here anyone can see it.

Latest Toys: Darkroom supplies

Old 05-22-2013   #13
pakeha

Quote:
On the Facebook privacy issue - I understand I can add a photo, and define a level of accessibility such that it is visible to everyone (as Keith's photos must be for me to see them), or visible only to my "Friends".

you choose from public - friends only or friends of friends.Individual images, albums, up to you, every time you post something there you get to choose the level...ah, what happens after that only FB knows
The level of angst over FB is much the same as EBAY, up to you.It is just `there`.

Old 05-22-2013   #14
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Every free hosting site or social web site will have terms of usage that effectively let you waive all rights to the material posted.

For one, they must limit their liabilities, as they are poorly capitalized, relative to the number of accounts - even if some court would reward each user a mere $10 damages over some data leak, there would be no more Facebook.

For the other, investors love being told "the users can't leave even if they want to" and "even if we fail, we have billions worth of data as your exit option", even if both are blatant lies.

In real life, social web sites can do pretty much nothing outrageous with their user data - they even have to tread careful about placing too many or the wrong ads, or they risk losing most or all users.

Most Facebook users would rather part with all their data than with $100, or they would not be using a free service, so they are very much inclined to run away. So any potential threat of abusing their data does not work out - do something even mildly disagreeable, and you are next year's Myspace. The fate of the growing number of failed social networks has shown that the value of a ex-user base is pretty much nil even where the TOS would theoretically permit a buyer to abuse it. As data abuse only works by bulk (nobody would sift out the 0.001% of commercially exploitable images among all the cats and awkward family shots) you are pretty much safe there, even as a professional.

The risk of using a free service for a professional photographer really boils down to the lack of control over design and context - if the site operator determines it is time for a relaunch, you might over night end up with something quite horribly ugly and dysfunctional, so you'll permanently have to track the state of your page, no matter where you are and how much you work. Even worse, if the site software determines that your page is popular enough among a particular target audience, the rating and grouping system inherent in social webs will automagically place ads and references to apparently related stuff on your page, and inversely, place references to you and your pictures on other pages. And not everything related is related in ways you want to be associated with - in the worst case, it could be a direct competitor advertising on your page, or your pictures and links turning up as eye candy in some context your customers would consider outright offensive.

Old 05-23-2013   #15
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Every free hosting site or social web site will have terms of usage that effectively let you waive all rights to the material posted.

For one, they must limit their liabilities, as they are poorly capitalized, relatively to the number of accounts - even if some court would reward each user a mere $10 damages over some data leak, there would be no more Facebook.

For the other, investors love being told "the users can't leave even if they want to" and "even if we fail, we have billions worth of data as your exit option", even if both are blatant lies.

In real life, social web sites can do pretty much nothing outrageous with their user data - they even have to tread careful about placing too many or the wrong ads, or they risk losing most or all users.

Most Facebook users would rather part with all their data than with $100, or they would not be using a free service, so they are very much inclined to run away. So any potential threat of abusing their data does not work out - do something even mildly disagreeable, and you are next year's Myspace. The fate of the growing number of failed social networks has shown that the value of a ex-user base is pretty much nil even where the TOS would theoretically permit a buyer to abuse it. As data abuse only works by bulk (nobody would sift out the 0.001% of commercially exploitable images among all the cats and awkward family shots) you are pretty much safe there, even as a professional.

The risk of using a free service for a professional photographer really boils down to the lack of control over design and context - if the site operator determines it is time for a relaunch, you might over night end up with something quite horribly ugly and dysfunctional, so you'll permanently have to track the state of your page, no matter where you are and how much you work. Even worse, if the site software determines that your page is popular enough among a particular target audience, the rating and grouping system inherent in social webs will automagically place ads and references to apparently related stuff on your page, and inversely, place references to you and your pictures on other pages. And not everything related is related in ways you want to be associated with - in the worst case, it could be a direct competitor advertising on your page, or your pictures and links turning up as eye candy in some context your customers would consider outright offensive.
Probably the most coherent reply i`ve seen anywhere on this subject.Particually the high lighted sentence.

Old 05-23-2013   #16
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
Probably the most coherent reply i`ve seen anywhere on this subject.Particually the high lighted sentence.

I agree ... thank you for that.

Old 05-24-2013   #17
ChrisN
Striving

Agreed!. Thanks to all for the guidance.

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-24-2013   #18
Anthony Harvey

I don't know anything about Facebook, not being interested in all the triviality that goes with it, but Peter Turnley uses the network to great effect, and posts not only superb photographs but very wise and thoughtful comments too, full of feeling. It's never off my visiting list. He's not only a marvellous photographer but a civilised man of great sensibility as well.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to put a link to it here but just google :Peter Turnley facebook: and you'll get to it.

Old 05-24-2013   #19
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Anthony, I just took your advice and am glad that I did. Not only a beautiful antidote to the cynical and weary view of FB being soley a place for inane comments on someones latest meal or photos of drunken friends but also a reminder that some of us (me, certainly) may need to work a little harder to keep their hearts and head open.

As I sit in a rain drenched town feeling damp in every way this has helped.

So thank you for that.

Old 05-24-2013   #20
MikeAUS

I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. The layout and resolution of the photos on FB is sort of ordinary. So if you are particular about how you want things to look or layout changes then FB is a no. Also, if you are paranoid about the internet and copyright protection, as a lot of folks are here, then again a no. However, if you want to tap into the largest Social Network ever and get more people seeing your work then it's worth a look .

ps. Chris that's a pretty amazing dark room you have set up !

Old 05-24-2013   #21
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Try www.pbase.com Chris.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 05-24-2013   #22
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Harvey View Post
I don't know anything about Facebook, not being interested in all the triviality that goes with it, but Peter Turnley uses the network to great effect, and posts not only superb photographs but very wise and thoughtful comments too, full of feeling. It's never off my visiting list. He's not only a marvellous photographer but a civilised man of great sensibility as well.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to put a link to it here but just google :Peter Turnley facebook: and you'll get to it.
Quote:
Anthony, I just took your advice and am glad that I did. Not only a beautiful antidote to the cynical and weary view of FB being soley a place for inane comments on someones latest meal or photos of drunken friends but also a reminder that some of us (me, certainly) may need to work a little harder to keep their hearts and head open.

As I sit in a rain drenched town feeling damp in every way this has helped.

So thank you for that.
Thank you Anthony for the pointer to Peter Turnley's wonderful work, so well presented on Facebook. He has many photos there that I have not seen before, and they all impress me greatly.

O.M.I.T. - yes, a wonderful antidote indeed. Something with real meaning, that we should all aspire to. And when I look at Peter's work, so freely shared (and he's obviously not worried about people downloading and saving copies of the photos he shows there) I have to wonder about my own meagre efforts. I would have to be very petty and small-minded to think that I should worry about my own photos being "stolen".

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-24-2013   #23
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAUS View Post

ps. Chris that's a pretty amazing dark room you have set up !
Thanks Mike - my quiet place to escape to (and it warms up quickly in the middle of Canberra's cold winter).

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 05-24-2013   #24
Bill Clark

I decided to delete my Facebook account. At first, it was interesting and others found it a way to, I guess, socialize on the internet. Then, after a year or so, it became less and less a place for me to visit. Then there is the snooping aspect of it that I didn't like. I suppose it could go on here. My wife, daughter and her family don't use Facebook. My son and his wife do but he said he doesn't frequent the place much anymore. We're all pretty busy w/o Facebook and a person can spend a lot of time on Facebook. Time is a precious resource!

My recommendation, try it out. See if it's a place you want to participate. For me I'd rather spend my time on other places.

Have you tried Picasa to put your photographs?

http://picasa.google.com/

Or a blog?

Some of the sites are more easily used by tablet computers and smart phones. Just a thought if you want more exposure with your photography.