Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Where Did I Leave My Camera?
Old 05-03-2013   #1
Rodchenko
Olympian

Where Did I Leave My Camera?

The night before last, I got home, and looked in my bag. There was my Canon, but there was a noticeable gap where my Minox should have been. I was worried that I'd dropped it out of my bag cycling home, as I'd been carrying a lot of stuff, and it wasn't properly closed.

Chances of finding a black ERC the size of a fag packet round there was infinitessimally small, so I tried not to worry about it, but, since it's the camera I've had the longest, of course i did fret. And there's no way I could afford another camera right now.

Then, yesterday, I got a text from my wife, who is currently in hospital, who told me that she'd found it under her bed, next to the wheels. Good thing they hadn't decided to move her overnight!

So, I reckon I'm not the only clumsy and absent-minded chap around this forum. Where have you left your camera? Did you get it back (a convoluted route for extra interest)? Were there the greatest photos of your entire life in it at the time?

Old 05-03-2013   #2
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Rule #1: Keep bags closed. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen folks walking or even running through an airport or train station with their bag unzipped. I can not tell you how many times I have seen all or most of their stuff fall out on the floor either noticed and picked up, but in most cases not noticed and lost, sometimes forever. be careful my friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-03-2013   #3
pakeha

under the seat of an IL76 at Sheremetyevo airport and no i did not get it back. I imagine an aircraft cleaner with a nikon fe2 caused much suspicion at the time.

Old 05-03-2013   #4
lynnb

Had just shot a wedding reception, remembered to grab the digital gear but somehow left my Fed with I-61 in a small camera bag behind a draped table cloth under a drinks table. Next day I was most surprised to get a phone call from client asking if I'd forgotten something! Camera returned to red-faced photographer... there were some good shots on that roll...
Flickr

Old 05-03-2013   #5
Stelios

I've left my bag with my M6 in a fast food shop, only to realise when I went back home feeling a bit too 'light'. Thankfully it was kept by the kind people who worked there.

There has also been the odd night when I need to get out of bed to make sure I didn't leave my camera in some random pub and it's still in my bag. So far hasn't happened.

Old 05-03-2013   #6
Rodchenko
Olympian

Realising you were an M6 down must have been a squeaky moment.

Old 05-03-2013   #7
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios View Post
. . . There has also been the odd night when I need to get out of bed to make sure I didn't leave my camera in some random pub and it's still in my bag. So far hasn't happened.
Glad it's not just me!

As for leaving cameras... Technika 70 (with 100/2.8 Planar) under a bench outside the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives in Dharamasala. I found it was still there 20 minutes later when I realized I had left it. Olive drab Bessa R2 (with 35/1.7 Ultron) on a table at a dinner at photokina. Again, I found it still there a quarter of an hour later.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-03-2013   #8
Fraser

In my first job at a wee local paper I left my camera bag behind my car forgot about it went back into the office came out jumped in the car and reversed over it!

Old 05-03-2013   #9
zuiko85

In 1974 I left a 105mm f2.8 Takumar on the Ravenswood L train in Chicago. Never saw that lens again.

Old 05-03-2013   #10
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Never had this problem in a public place..

It's only when I deliberately put a camera or lens neatly away in a drawer or cabinet that I have these "Oh heavens, where did I leave it?" moments afterwards. In hindsight the logic behind putting it there in the first place is disturbingly convoluted, although it seemed like a good idea at the time. This effect gets worse if I also put it in the original box.. makes gear completely irretrevable.

Now, on the other hand, when I just stash a camera in a random place I'm able to find it in no time flat..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 05-03-2013   #11
Rodchenko
Olympian

I have that too. I make a point now of putting the boxes away somewhere safe so there's no temptation of putting any equipment back in them.

Has the pleasing side effect of the boxes being in usable condition when I come to selling, rather than bashed to pieces.

Old 05-03-2013   #12
Richard G

M5 and Summilux stolen. The only thing of value I left anywhere was in about 1997 when I left my 1986 solid English wooden shafted umbrella on a tram. I later rang the nearest depot and they had found it and hung on to it. I still have it.

Old 05-03-2013   #13
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post

It's only when I deliberately put a camera or lens neatly away in a drawer or cabinet that I have these "Oh heavens, where did I leave it?" moments afterwards. In hindsight the logic behind putting it there in the first place is disturbingly convoluted, although it seemed like a good idea at the time. This effect gets worse if I also put it in the original box.. makes gear completely irretrevable.

Now, on the other hand, when I just stash a camera in a random place I'm able to find it in no time flat..
Yes I must admit, I have lost valuable things in my home. Meaning I could not remember where I put them. eventually they show up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-03-2013   #14
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post

I have this with papers etc. If it is somewhere in one of the many piles on one of my three desks I will know where it is and get it quickly. If it is filed logically under an appropriate system in a filing cabinet I will never find it.

Old 05-03-2013   #15
sanmich

That's the beauty of these cameras, isn't it?
try this with an RB67...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 05-03-2013   #16
petronius

I forgot my backpack twice in restaurants. The first time with a Nikon FM in it, the second time some years later with a mju-II and the exposed rolls of nearly a week. In both cases the staff of the restaurant had found it and handed it back when I arrived in desperate condition!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 05-03-2013   #17
Murchu

Under a seat, is usually the main culprit for me! No matter how mindful I am not to leave a camera bag behind, every year or two or three, it happens, prompting an immediate reaction of panic. Under a train seat, and under a seat in the pub were the last two occasions in the last 4/ 5 years.

http://500px.com/Murchu

Old 05-03-2013   #18
Rodchenko
Olympian

It seems there are a lot of honest folk out there handing our cameras in, which is gratifying to hear.

Old 05-03-2013   #19
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I am extremely vigilant - have never left a camera or camera bag anywhere.

I am very security minded and have never had any camera gear stolen, either; that is a result of my time spent in the military - security discipline is programmed into you in basic training in the Air Force.
It has served me well for many years.

Old 05-03-2013   #20
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

After shooting at church one Sunday morning I had to leave to attend another meeting...when I got there and was shooting I started looking for my 24mm lens and could not find it...I remembered setting it on a table while changing lenses and unfortunately I had left it there...I quickly text my wife and she replied that she saw it and picked it up...
That's been about it for now and I like it that way...
pf

Old 05-03-2013   #21
Contarama

Camera bag with Nikon F2 and D5000 and several primes...thought I left it at the xray machine getting back on board a cruise ship. After frantically searching the number 1 deck and talking to security and the lost and found people for about two hours I returned to my room resigned to the fact that someone now had a pretty darn good camera kit. Then I spied it hanging on a hook on the wall. Stupid me.

Old 05-03-2013   #22
unixrevolution

One day while working at the college doing my day job, I had had a K100D and 35mm f/2 lens mounted up and sitting somewhere. I had carried it a few places that day, too.

Come to find after lunch...I couldn't find it! I paniced, emptied my camera bag, ran around the office turning things upside down, and backtracked every single step I had taken all day.

An hour and a half of frantic searching, and my co-worker remembers; he took it off a chair and put it in a box, which got covered over quickly afterwards. Safe in my office the whole time.

The camera briefly belonged to a deceased friend, and the lens is my favorite pentax mount lens. I'm glad I found it.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 05-03-2013   #23
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
That was the good old days when digital did not exist.
The good old days aren't extinct just yet - my M4-P body has a roll of Tri-X in it right now!

The worst thing about digital is all the outstanding cameras (Fuji GX 617, 'blad 503cw) emulsions (Kodachrome, Tech Pan, Plus-X) and printing media (Ilfochrome) that have died as a result. These losses are truly an abomination in my book.

Rome
Old 05-03-2013   #24
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Rome

I had my Domke on the floor at a restaurant in Rome. The tablecloths were down to the floor, and I believe the waiter pushed it under the table so he would not trip on it.

About midnight I was in a bit of a panic, took me a worried next day touring Rome with no camera, -- until it came to me, called the restaurant, they had it, grabbed a taxi, bag was hanging on the coat rack, $20 tip (was 20 years ago), saw all of Rome in 30 minutes in a Taxi (you know how the Italians drive).

In the bag?

Passport, new Swiss gold watch for my mom, cash, travelers' checks, plane ticket, Leica CL with two lenses, Nikon SLR with several lenses, film-- all the usual stuff--

A friend found an M3 with 35mm lens at an airport, he reported it, along with his card, to the lost and found-- no one ever called. Smart move, they sell off the stuff if it is not claimed.

Just Monday, in Dallas, a nice lady brought a wedding ring to the desk at the gate-- someone had left it in the lady's room-- they made an announcement, I did not see anyone claim it-- but there are decent folks in the world that turn things in.

My personal fav is the guy who lost his camera diving and it hitched a ride to England with a turtle-- to be washed up and returned to him a year later with some interesting video recorded by the turtle.

I hate traveling and losing stuff, -- twice I have left jackets in cars, or airports,-- and got them back-- yeah, Monday again, left it in a friend's car -- the porter hung it on the back door-- the hotels now write down your room number and the taxi number-- some nice Taxi driver drove a long distance to return a camera, a security worker found someone's backpack on the beach in Vallarta, camera and Mac book-- brought it to the manager who tracked down the owner the next day- Now, if I can only find my glasses lost on vacation -- and of course, the cameras in various places in the house.

Sorry , long post-- I should not have taken typing in high school. ;-)

Roger, am glad you left your camera (and got it back), if you can forget stuff, the rest of us poor mortals can as well.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Old 05-03-2013   #25
t.s.k.
Hooked on philm

I've left a number of things in the frig that shouldn't be, a camera being one of them. And yes, the camera was returned by a less-than-impressed wife.

You can observe a lot by just watching.
-- Yogi Berra

Old 05-03-2013   #26
css9450

Twenty years ago, I left a 70s-era Nikon 80-200/f4.5 zoom on a bridge railing on Halsted Street just blocks from Chicago's Union Station. A couple hours later, I was 70 miles away and looking in my bag for my big zoom. It wasn't there! So it was a very fast and nervous drive back to Chicago, and sure enough, it was still there. Hot from the afternoon sun, but it was there. I got lucky.

Old 05-03-2013   #27
RWaldron

Couldn't find my Adox Mess Golf anywhere. I'm not a tidy individual so I assumed I'd misplaced it somewhere and it would eventually turn up. Weeks when by. I think I actually forgot about it. Eventually it turned up beneath the driver's seat of my car. Happy ending? Sadly, not. My car is a twenty-two year old convertible with dried up weather seals and since I don't own a garage which would keep it out of the rain it tends to get a bit damp inside at times. Yes, this is not the best of situations, and I do resort to a spray of Lysol every so often. It was the hottest days of summer and we had had a few rains so the heat and the damp had the predictable results - fungus in what had been a pristine lens. Cameras do not go beneath the seat anymore.

Old 05-04-2013   #28
Rodchenko
Olympian

Horror story!

Old 05-04-2013   #29
Spanik

Forgotten my bag with the 300D and Kiev 60 on the bus in Dresden when coming back from visit. Lucky I was just off it when I realised it and the car was parked a bit further. So after chasing the bus a few km to its terminus I got it back.

Old 05-04-2013   #30
Richard G

I got home on a hot Saturday when I should have been home much sooner, but I had been taking some shots of a building near work. I couldn't find the cap for my reversed hood on the tabbed 50 Summicron. I searched my pockets, the bag and the boot (trunk) of the car where I had been working, changing lenses. Nothing. Could I just forget about it? No. I had had this for nearly thirty years and taken it around the world and was not going to do without it. I drove all the way back in even heavier Saturday afternoon traffic to see if it was crushed by car wheels in the road. Nope. Nothing. Searched my pockets again. It was in my right jeans pocket all along. I made my way home again in crawling traffic, fearing a meltdown about my long absence. And the wife amazingly was none the wiser to the whole unnecessary diversion.

Old 05-04-2013   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My most recent heart stopping "left a camera somewhere" was when I was down in SoCal last year for a wedding. I went for a walk and a bit of lunch, had a bite in some little dive, and was so engrossed reading my book that when I got up to leave I left the M9 and three lenses in the (open) bag sitting on the bench at the table.. I was a mile away (on foot) when I realized something was missing.

It was right where I'd left it when I got back.

Minox subminis are so small that I never trust putting them into a bag. Minox subminis are always in my trousers pocket when I'm carrying them.

G

Old 05-04-2013   #32
feenej

My XA spent three weeks in a hipster bar in Riverwest, Milwaukee before I tracked it down! The bartender had saved it for me! My phone spent the weekend in the bar next door, to boot

Old 05-04-2013   #33
Rodchenko
Olympian

Your camera going on a pub crawl without you?

Old 05-04-2013   #34
oftheherd

Not much mentioned that I haven't been there and done. (sigh)

Most recently it has been my XA. Even with flash in XA case, it is just so small. I've often fretted I left it somewhere out, but I have always found it where I left it, but hadn't remembered leaving it there. In the car, in another camera bag, in the house in an unlikely place, you name it.

Old 05-04-2013   #35
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
OK, this may hurt, but perhaps a new thread with folks who have put their gear down on top of the car while looking for their keys? ;-)

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Old 05-04-2013   #36
cosmonaut

I left a brand new EP-1 setting on a bench at a very crowded water park. By the time I noticed it gone a good couple of hours had passed. But I took off back across the park knowing it probably was gone and it was still there. I was shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
The night before last, I got home, and looked in my bag. There was my Canon, but there was a noticeable gap where my Minox should have been. I was worried that I'd dropped it out of my bag cycling home, as I'd been carrying a lot of stuff, and it wasn't properly closed.

Chances of finding a black ERC the size of a fag packet round there was infinitessimally small, so I tried not to worry about it, but, since it's the camera I've had the longest, of course i did fret. And there's no way I could afford another camera right now.

Then, yesterday, I got a text from my wife, who is currently in hospital, who told me that she'd found it under her bed, next to the wheels. Good thing they hadn't decided to move her overnight!

So, I reckon I'm not the only clumsy and absent-minded chap around this forum. Where have you left your camera? Did you get it back (a convoluted route for extra interest)? Were there the greatest photos of your entire life in it at the time?

SWEET Discovery...
Old 05-04-2013   #37
ELS

SWEET Discovery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut View Post
I left a brand new EP-1 setting on a bench at a very crowded water park. By the time I noticed it gone a good couple of hours had passed. But I took off back across the park knowing it probably was gone and it was still there. I was shocked.
SWEET! Glad it was there !

Old 05-04-2013   #38
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
Your camera going on a pub crawl without you?
Uhh... Yeah. What? I dunno. OK, yes, another pint please. No: my round...

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-05-2013   #39
Overkill-F1

I am paranoid of leaving my bag behind, under a chair or table at a restaurant or on a ferry. I usually keep my bag on my lap or over my shoulder. If the bag is put on the floor, I run the strap up and over one knee so I can't leave without tripping over the bag.
You should see me in my shop. Often I will put something down, turn around for a second and the item is GONE! After looking all over the shop for a while, the item will magically reappear. It's really bad when I put my glasses down.
...Terry

Old 05-05-2013   #40
Archiver

+1 on the paranoid precautions. My bag is always between my feet, strap over one knee, or on the chair behind my back.

The week I bought my M9, I packed it into my camera backpack along with my usual 5D Mark II kit, and went to a job. It was in a shopping centre, in one of those temporary stalls in the middle of the main walkways. I set the bag behind the counter and got to my work, then picked up my tripod and left. Some minutes later I realized I had just left the bag behind! With my brand new M9 and work gear, too! Good thing it was still there when I returned, although it was behind the counter, which made it more safe.

Another time, I left my tripod sitting in the middle of a carpet store after a shoot. This time I had to drive back and get it!

I was with someone who bought a few books in a very busy book shop. After leaving, she asked where the books were; I didn't have them, as she was carrying them. We raced back to the shop to find them where she left them, sitting on a seat, still in the plain paper bag.

This same friend left her sunglasses in the bathroom of another shopping centre. Amazingly, someone had turned them in to the information desk, rather than pocket what were quite expensive frames. There are still honest people in the world, thank goodness.