Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Got an external VF. Now, how can I remember what film I've loaded?
Old 04-20-2013   #1
froyd

Got an external VF. Now, how can I remember what film I've loaded?

I've always used the cold shoe on my M4 as the handy storage for a film reminder ripped from the film box. However, I have now started using a lens with an external VF, so the accessory shoe needs to be empty.

What are some other tricks to remember what film is loaded in Leica M (or other cameras without a film window)?

I'like a system that's as easy to implement in the field as ripping the top of the film box. I.e. bringing tape and markers along is feasible, but not as convenient.

Old 04-20-2013   #2
Dan Daniel

Develop a code using the dial on the back of the door. Put the code on a piece of artist tape on the back or the bottom or such.

Old 04-20-2013   #3
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

I put a piece of white tape on the bottom of my camera and write film info. on it with a sharpie; I leave it long enough for room for some brief notes and to wrap around the roll once it's shot. This makes it easier to organize my film later, too.

Old 04-20-2013   #4
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

stick with only one film?

Old 04-20-2013   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
+1 (musthavetencharacters)

Old 04-20-2013   #6
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
still have to remember EI, should stick to one also here

Old 04-20-2013   #7
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Small gap between shoe and finder? Wrestle a snippet in there!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 04-20-2013   #8
FrozenInTime

I thought the M4 had a three way film reminder dial on the back
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 04-20-2013   #9
pakeha

I have taken the film reminder slide of a bunch of broken SLR camera backs, glued them to self adhesive fake leather and stuck these onto all of my cameras without reminder slides
[if that is what they are called], have not done this on a Leica though, go on , you be the first..:-)

Old 04-21-2013   #10
E__WOK

This works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1110118.jpg (30.6 KB, 56 views)

Old 04-21-2013   #11
Roger Hicks

Ordinary pencil works fine on matte chrome; wax pencil on black paint. Both easily wiped off when you change film.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-21-2013   #12
froyd

The beauty of the ripped box top in the accessory shoe is that it did not require extra materials and all the info was there (other than custom IE setting).

I like the idea of figuring out a code using the back dial. I only us two film types (one color, one BW) and alternate between 24 and 36 exposure rolls. I think I should be able to work out a system that lets me know whether I have 2 or 14 more shots left when I pick up the camera and it indicates 22 exposure have been taken.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-21-2013   #13
L Collins
-

I roll my own film from bulk and typically will have 100 or more new rolls in my freezer at any given time. To differentiate them I use colored tab stickers you can buy at office depot for next to nothing e.g green for HP5, orange for TX etc.

Once I load the film into the camera i transfer the tab from the film cassette to the back of the camera. Once the film is rewound from the camera I transfer the sticker back to the film cassette and write the ISO I've shot it at on the face f the sticker.

Some variation of this system would work like a charm for you.

Old 04-21-2013   #14
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

One used to be able to buy self-adhesive stick-on frames the size of a film boxtop, two or three to a pack. Peel off the backing, and place on camera back. Voila.

Llkely still to be found new old stock somewhere.

Old 04-21-2013   #15
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Use your cell phone to take a pic of the film when loading the camera.
It keeps the date and time also.

Old 04-21-2013   #16
rjbuzzclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E__WOK View Post
This works for me.
I use a small square of blue painters tape on the bottom as well. I don't shoot a large amount, so I just put it on when I load the film. If I have a spare roll with me, it'll be the same type usually.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Old 04-21-2013   #17
Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
One used to be able to buy self-adhesive stick-on frames the size of a film boxtop, two or three to a pack. Peel off the backing, and place on camera back. Voila.

Llkely still to be found new old stock somewhere.

If anyone knows of where one can find these now, please let me know. Whenever threads like these pop up, someone always says a guy on one of the forums made a new batch and was selling them, but then it turns out to be a 3-4 year old thread...

Old 04-21-2013   #18
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
If anyone knows of where one can find these now, please let me know. Whenever threads like these pop up, someone always says a guy on one of the forums made a new batch and was selling them, but then it turns out to be a 3-4 year old thread...
Do people want these? I work with a a laser cutter and could pop some out in ten minutes from a flexible acrylic stock. Maybe make it sized for 120 box flap, and people can tear down their 35mm flaps to fit?

Old 04-21-2013   #19
CNNY

I just try to remember. I usually do.

Old 04-21-2013   #20
Spicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Do people want these? I work with a a laser cutter and could pop some out in ten minutes from a flexible acrylic stock. Maybe make it sized for 120 box flap, and people can tear down their 35mm flaps to fit?

Yeah, that would be great, if they're fairly sturdy and easy to make... I'd say the 35mm flap size would be more popular/sought after, especially since the full-tab size often includes number of exposures, whereas 120 is always a constant number of exposures per roll (12, 18 etc), which I always end up having to sacrifice when tearing them up to stuff in a hotshoe. I guess with 120 you could just use the box, rather than just the flap. Less convenient, though.

Either one would be great -- both would be doubly so, . I'd be grateful for some of either, if you end up making a batch.

Old 04-21-2013   #21
peterm1

Get a little spiral ring note pad. The small one - small enough to fit in a shirt pocket / or side pocket of a camera bag. Keep a small pencil with it (slip it into the wire spiral that forms the pad's backbone). Make a note in the pad of the film in use and the date loaded. If you are disciplined enough to do this each time you change film it will work. You could also, if you wanted, keep a record of the settings for each shot and notes about the location etc by referencing the film counter dial. (Thats too much for me though).

An even simpler alternative I used from time to time was that when I had an ever ready case I simply tore off the tab of the box that the film came in and slipped it into the base of the ERC for future reference. Good to go then.

Old 04-21-2013   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Actually, my way of remember what is in the camera is to shoot the whole roll once I load the camera for a session. It's very rare that I have film sitting in a camera for more than the course of a photo session.

G

Dial on back door
Old 04-21-2013   #23
candidcameraman

Dial on back door

The dial on the back door does the trick for me, all I need to know is Black and White or Colour but an M2 and M3 has the colour or black and white dial - strangely I use the Sun for colour and the black and silver "arrow head" for lack of a better description for black and white.

Old 04-21-2013   #24
bwcolor

'M' dial and use one slow and one fast B&W film and I don't overlap rated ISO. When I shoot color film, or experiment with a new B&W emulsion I use the hotshoe reminder.

Old 04-25-2013   #25
okto

+1 for shoot more. If a roll of film lasts me more than a few days, I feel like I'm not looking hard enough for the decisive moment, like I don't deserve equipment this nice. Might just be a mind game I play with myself, but it's good motivation to shoot more. Serendipity can't happen if you aren't tripping the shutter.