Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Which would you choose?
Old 01-07-2013   #1
Jack Conrad

Which would you choose?

If they were both in EX condition. Rokkor or Xenar?
The Minolta Autocord (metered) or the Rolleicord IV w/Xenar

Old 01-07-2013   #2
weihsuan

The Autocord is my choice for its great lens, the placement of the focus lever is much better ergonomically and the screen is brighter too if I'm not mistaken (my Autocord screen is brighter than my rolleiflex 2.8E). Just beware of the focus lever as it breaks easily.

Old 01-07-2013   #3
Dan Daniel

The odds are that the meter doesn't work on the Autocord. And even if it does work, it doesn't "work." They use some sort of Light Value System or such. See those numbers on the front of the camera around the lens? If the meter says, oh, 12, you can set the shutter to 6 and the aperture to 6- add up to 12. Or shutter to 3 and aperture to 9- 12 again. Not very convenient. Maybe a little chart on the back will make it all work out smoothly eventually.

The nice thing is that the meter is completely separate from the rest of the camera so its function or non-functioning makes no difference to basic operation.

I would go for the Autocord if it is in good condition. One reason is that Rolleicords are all over the place and it won't be hard to find one in good condition another day. Autocords are not as easy to find. Another reason is that the ergonomics of the Autocords are simply better. Yet another reason, the focus system is pretty well bomb-proof (except for that lever- almost as if it was meant to be a fuse of some sort, breaking before anything else did?). Anyway, replacement levers are out there. But the chance of that lens going out of alignment is pretty slim. The Rolleicord focus system is more fragile and more in need of regular maintenance.

But either one will do you well.

Old 01-07-2013   #4
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

I've owned and used both. The Autocord, by a mile.

My newest book, Backroads and Byways of Georgia is available now wherever books are sold.
Georgia: A Backroads Portrait http://blur.by/1gg1SMt is awaiting publication.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies) is Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 01-07-2013   #5
benlees

I've owned both as well. I would take the Autocord. The results would be similar but the focusing of the Minolta is really a great design feature- provided the lever is not broken. The Autocords also seem lighter but sturdier. Could be my imagination!

To be honest, I would want both!

Old 01-07-2013   #6
Mablo

Minolta is much easier to use but in my personal view Rolleicord's lens is slightly better. I had both but finally sold the Minolta.

Old 01-07-2013   #7
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

From what I've seen the Autocord produce I'd go with it...
pf

Old 01-07-2013   #8
pakeha

I don`t think the focus lever gets broken that often any more..you would need to drop the camera or walk into a solid object. I have seen one with a broken focus lever, sure it is something to consider but once aware then it should not be a problem.

Old 01-07-2013   #9
miragem5

I own both ,Minolta for lens, viewing screen , self timer, nice to use.
Rolleicord for, light weight, simple to use and not a lot to go wrong
But really both cameras in the end have lovely sharp lenses and you would not be able to pick which took what if you saw the end results. both are well built. The focus lever on the Autocords can be a probelm and are easily damaged plus the old meter by now will be a bit dodgy, the Rolleicords have probelms with sticky slow speeds and poor dark corners on the viewing screen but are more tha likely easier to find parts for .
I love using both of mine and my yashicmat 124g , my Autocord is the best built and feels solid.

Old 01-07-2013   #10
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

My vote goes to the Autocord, and I'm a Rolleicord owner.

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 01-08-2013   #11
one90guy

Never owned the Minolta but just sold my Rioch Diacord L which appear very similar, love the focus, it had a bright viewfinder but no lines to help with composition. Have a Rolliecord III and a Yashica A, I like the yashica best. As Ive aged, eyes and not as steady I am having a lot of trouble with the tlr's.

Old 01-08-2013   #12
Jack Conrad

It looks like about 7 out of 10 favor the Minolta so far.
That's interesting.
What about the Synchro Compur shutter vs the Seikosha MX shutter?
Is one easier or simpler to work on or more reliable than the other?

Old 01-08-2013   #13
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Sell both, buy a Ricoh Diacord, and use the rest of the money to buy film

Old 01-08-2013   #14
hanskerensky

Just send me your Autocord and i'll compare it with my Rolleicord Vb !

Old 01-08-2013   #15
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68degrees View Post
do all minolta autocords have meters? A guy was telling me recently that he had one for sale and it doesnt have a built in meter. True or False?
True or false about the guy's camera having a meter? Hmmm....

Most Autocords do not have meters. There was the selenium meter on the LVS. A CdS meter on late-model ones, one of the ugliest front-ends to a camera I have seen. Makes every Mars rover look like the cutest puppy you have ever seen in comparison.

Old 01-08-2013   #16
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
It looks like about 7 out of 10 favor the Minolta so far.
That's interesting.
What about the Synchro Compur shutter vs the Seikosha MX shutter?
Is one easier or simpler to work on or more reliable than the other?
The Seikosha is simpler and easier to work on. Parts are going to be very sparse. Synchro-Compurs have a well-deserved reputation for gumming up over the decades, due to the amount of grease and oil they use. Both can be brought back to life by a competent repairman, except for parts issues (Compur parts are no longer being made).

Old 01-08-2013   #17
Vics

I don't know from Autocord, but I have a Rollei MX w/Xenar, and the xenar is a wonderful lens!
EDIT: ...AND Harry Fleenor is a magic man on Rolleis but he doesn't work on anything else.

My Flickr

Old 01-08-2013   #18
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

The Xenar is indeed great -- I think it might be the best of all the Tessar designs for TLRs (including Tessars). The Rolleicord gets my vote here.

Ergonomically, the focusing lever on the Autocord is a little hard to get used to (and if you're groping for it when you're looking down through the finder it can get a little frustrating). Others have mentioned the weakness of the lever material also. With regard to the Autocord's wind lever, the folding handle isn't as secure as the fixed handle of the Rolleiflexes and Yashicamats (and the 10:00 starting position isn't as easy as the others, which are at 2:00). This is a minor complaint, to be sure.

Old 01-08-2013   #19
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

I would go with the Rolleicord. Much easier to service overall. I don't find the compur shutter difficult to service at all. With old girls like this, you have to take that into account. The film transport etc. has a lot less parts that can go wrong. I love Rolleicords, they are my all time favorites. There many Rolleicords around so spares are not an issue.
Mamiya Six, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord I, Ia, II, IIb, III, IV, Va&Vb

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T
http://www.archeophotography.com

Old 01-08-2013   #20
Jack Conrad

Excellent information. Thanks.
This is the Autocord LMX version. The meter is quite accurate within the limitations of selenium, I suppose. Very well made. All operations are smooth.

The Rollei is nice, however. It's a bit lighter than the Minolta. Probably due to the addition of the meter. Much dimmer viewscreen, though, especially since the Minolta has an added bright screen.

All in all, I'm surprised just how similar in size, weight and feel they are.

Old 01-08-2013   #21
archeophoto
I love 1950's quality

The viewscreen on the 'Cord is an easy fix.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-175.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
Excellent information. Thanks.
This is the Autocord LMX version. The meter is quite accurate within the limitations of selenium, I suppose. Very well made. All operations are smooth.

The Rollei is nice, however. It's a bit lighter than the Minolta. Probably due to the addition of the meter. Much dimmer viewscreen, though, especially since the Minolta has an added bright screen.

All in all, I'm surprised just how similar in size, weight and feel they are.
Mamiya Six, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleicord I, Ia, II, IIb, III, IV, Va&Vb

Digital:
Nikon D800
Fuji X100T
http://www.archeophotography.com

Old 01-08-2013   #22
z.bruce.li

I have used both plus my staple Rolleiflex 3.5F. My vote will emphatically go to Autocord, it is just faster to shoot with. In the end I sold the Autocord, because it is so close to my Rolleiflex that I feel there is little differentiation. That is a high praise for the Autocord!