Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-04-2013   #41
zsas

I've a couple'a 35mm's and a MF. I have everything I need. All I worry about is how to keep pushing my artistic pursuits with what I have, then get into that darkroom to make the real fun; make a print, hang it, gift it, is fun times!

Old 01-04-2013   #42
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i'm not talking about 'better' images here...not talking about pics at all...talking about the gear only.
i am dedicated to digital so referencing film to me is pointless. i accept new tech easily and have no ties to the mechanical past just because it was part of my past. for all those who spout it's all about the image...is it to you? as it seems to me that you are the ones that make it more about the gear than i do...as long as it has no battery and uses film...sound familiar?
not looking for an argument here...just frustrated at the same tech that i like...and it's ever changingness.
I am not sure what you're trying to say.

My 'modern' purchases last year were the Leica X2 and M9. They are, by the wisdom of places like DPR, obsolete and old hat. For me, they are superb cameras that I'll be using for a long time to come. I still use my now-ancient Olympus E-1 too, and it makes fantastic photos even with the dirt cheap ($175 new) Olympus 35mm Macro lens:

Now that you're "dedicated to digital," does that mean you have to be dedicated to the hamster wheel of progress, running in place and buying new stuff all the time? No.

I like old, simple, mechanical cameras. I also like state of the art cameras, at least the ones that work well for me. I also like cameras like the E-1 and M9, which are almost timeless as digital cameras go. :-)

G

Old 01-04-2013   #43
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
it's only cameras for me...i have an old macbook and it does what i need...no desire to upgrade.
i buy a new watch, a good watch, about every 20 years...
my car is a 2004...

it's only the bloody cameras...
LOL ... My car is a 2000, I haven't worn a watch in 10 years. But I just bought a new computer with 16G RAM, 1T drive, i7 Quad Core 2.65Ghz processor, etc etc. Why? Because it will make making photos much easier. ;-)

G

Old 01-04-2013   #44
Clint Troy
-

Digital is junk and this thread totally proves it.
The cure to this great malady of emptiness is... film. And a darkroom.
Give me 20 rolls of film, 10 boxes/500 sheets of 11x14 fb paper, a decent darkroom and you won't see me for a whole year. One fine fb print you're making yourself beats any digital BS any day of the year.

My personal cure was a Leica camera, film and a darkroom. I absoutely don't care about all the overpriced plastic anymore. Even the best of the best Nikkor AF lenses have become pieces junk to my eyes.

Old 01-04-2013   #45
tedwhite

Some of my best digital photographs were taken with my first digital Camera: A Kodak DX6490, probably circa 2004. When I compare these prints to ones from my relatively new Pentax K20D I can't see any difference. And, what's really disgusting is that my fits-in-a-pocket-take-with-me-always Canon S95 takes pictures in awful lighting conditions that either of those two couldn't.

My only remaining film camera is probably one of the best film SLR's ever made: The Minolta Maxxum 7. Does well enough by me.

I don't think I need any more cameras. These work just fine. Would I like to have an M9 and a few lenses? Sure, but I'd have to get a new mortgage on my house. So I think I'll compromise and wait for the Fuji X100 to get down to $500.

I used to be seduced and swept away by the latest and allegedly the greatest cameras, their ads and reviews. As a young man I tortured myself by subscribing to the Leica magazine, which I could ill afford, studied those beautifully printed photographs, and thought Oh, if I only had a Leica then I, too, would become a great photographer.

Maybe that's what's wonderful about youth: Great Expectations.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 01-04-2013   #46
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Troy View Post
The cure to this great malady of emptiness is... film. And a darkroom.
Give me 20 rolls of film, 10 boxes/500 sheets of 11x14 fb paper, a decent darkroom and you won't see me for a whole year. One fine fb print you're making yourself beats any digital BS any day of the year.

My personal cure was a Leica camera, film and a darkroom. I absoutely don't care about all the overpriced plastic anymore. Even the best of the best Nikkor AF lenses have become pieces junk to my eyes.
did film and darkroom for over 30 years...had enough...

Old 01-04-2013   #47
pakeha

Quote:
The cure to this great malady of emptiness
Yes, take away all the trinklets of modern society and lets see just how happy people really are. Purchasing is like a drug for many,many people.
Feeling low? go and buy something just to make yourself feel better.Trouble is like a drug the high is short lived, then you need another high, and so on.
There are so many people I know personally who believe they are `entitled` to every mod con advertised...it is their life....sadly.

Old 01-04-2013   #48
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
You're new here?
nice welcome BTW. Way to let new folks know this is an old boys club.

Old 01-04-2013   #49
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
The cure to this great malady of emptiness is... film. And a darkroom......
And there you have it.

Any questions?

Old 01-04-2013   #50
Clint Troy
-

Quote:
You're new here?

So, a PoS film image on DW FB is somehow superior to a well done digital image? Really?
Yes I think so. Not just somehow but in many ways superior. It's just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2013   #51
bwidjaja
Warung Photo

I think part of the frustration is because digital photography is a relatively new technology, so it is still evolving and changes are happening very quickly. Sooner or later, once the technology matures, certain features become standard, such as sensor technology, and it is more of a matter of personal preference on the camera operations. I think we are not quite there yet, but not that far off.

Old 01-04-2013   #52
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwidjaja View Post
I think part of the frustration is because digital photography is a relatively new technology, so it is still evolving and changes are happening very quickly. Sooner or later, once the technology matures, certain features become standard, such as sensor technology, and it is more of a matter of personal preference on the camera operations. I think we are not quite there yet, but not that far off.
very true!

Old 01-04-2013   #53
Snowbuzz

Yes, I definitely feel overwhelmed (I thought I was the only one). The bad news is that I feel overwhelmed in-spite of my digital cameras being, on average, 6 to 10 years out of date!

Old 01-04-2013   #54
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Chris--

You must be a parent. I realized soon after my first born arrived that children don't come with an instruction manual. Still, every year with him and his younger sister have been the wonder years. At times I wonder how we all survived. . . .
I have a 15 year old son. I moved back to Indiana 4 years ago to be closer to him again (he lived with his mother then), and a few months later, the state of Indiana locked his mother up in a mental hospital for over a year. I got custody of him then. After she got out, she tried to get custody back and the court said HELL NO. She married a guy she met in the hospital (he has the same psychiatric problems she does), had a baby with him, and lost interest in her first child. My son hasn't seen or heard from her in over a year.

He's a good kid, a quiet intellectual and computer geek. I'm proud of his accomplishments. My stress has been from trying to support us financially in a city where there are no decent jobs and little market for my skills. It has been really hard, but I am glad I am able to be here for him.

Old 01-04-2013   #55
zuiko85

To *******ize Shakespeare, "the fault dear Brutus is not in our cameras but in ourselves...."

Old 01-04-2013   #56
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
Lately, though, I've been busy shooting film. I often wonder just how deep that rabbit hole goes. It seems like, with just film and manual cameras, that there's a lifetime's worth of knowledge to acquire even if one studied and practiced day and night. There's not as many buttons on the cameras, but just look at all that can be done with the old technology. It's pretty amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
This is how I feel. I've been doing film photography for more than 30 years and feel like I've just scratched the surface.
I'm with both of you here.
I "almost" get a darkroom running again (took me long enough, and I really miss it), yesterday I started selecting the negs that I'd like to try printing.

But to relate this to Joe's original post, I have the opposite problem, digital advancements do not affect me so much, my next digital camera will probably be a full-frame mirrorless camera. So I still have at least a few years before the price falls into the non-insane (for me) range

It's the old cameras and printing techniques that got me, all those tintypes, pt/pd, lith, that made me drool every time I saw another print or videos of people working on it.

Old 01-04-2013   #57
kokoshawnuff

I'm very happy with my selection of lenses, but when I get an M9/ME/M (an overwhelmingly expensive purchase) I fear I will need to part with one of my favorite lenses (the ZM C Biogon 21), because of the compatibility issues it has with FF digital...therefore leading to another overwhelming purchase of a 21mm that is compatible...the process goes on and on, and of course it's just a small part of my every day life that has potentially much more overwhelming issues

Old 01-04-2013   #58
back alley
IMAGES

thinking about what some have said...my satisfaction with my 'primary' kit is true...

what sparked this bout of technological melancholy was thinking about my 'other' gear.
i really like the sony rx100...would love a sony rx1.
i had a fuji x100 but let it go and would like another but then started to read about it's replacement.
i admit it's all on me...i drive myself crazy...

Old 01-04-2013   #59
Ranchu
-

They're all the same, digital cameras. That's why you feel that way. It's also that it's winter.

Old 01-04-2013   #60
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
They're all the same, digital cameras. That's why you feel that way. It's also that it's winter.
just like all film cameras are the same...?

Old 01-04-2013   #61
Ranchu
-

Nope. Same thing comes out of every digital camera, film always has a signature. Contrast, color, grain, etc. I have one of these, http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LZ3/LZ3A.HTM , I'm about covered.

Old 01-04-2013   #62
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Nope. Same thing comes out of every digital camera, film always has a signature. Contrast, color, grain, etc.
do you really believe that?

Old 01-04-2013   #63
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Joe, perhaps you need a new obsession?

Old 01-04-2013   #64
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc View Post
Joe, perhaps you need a new obsession?
i tried women but that was REALLY expensive!

Old 01-04-2013   #65
Ranchu
-

Quote:
do you really believe that?
Can you tell me the big differences between a file from an X100 and a digital rebel?

Old 01-04-2013   #66
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Can you tell me the big differences between a file from an X100 and a digital rebel?
oh, i'm not going to argue the point...that would be worse than a red state blue state discussion.

Old 01-04-2013   #67
Ranchu
-

I answered your OP honestly, in my experience. I tried all different kinds of digitals, spent all kinds of money. Likely not as much as some, but I finally figured out I was looking for something that didn't exist. So I stopped doing that. It was exhausting while it lasted. (gotta go)

Old 01-04-2013   #68
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
I answered your OP honestly, in my experience. I tried all different kinds of digitals, spent all kinds of money. Likely not as much as some, but I finally figured out I was looking for something that didn't exist. So I stopped doing that. It was exhausting while it lasted. (gotta go)
i believe you.
i don't agree but i am not the person to have this debate.
i am not as technologically focussed when it comes to shooting as much as i am intuitively focussed.
do i see differences from one camera to another? yes. could i pick them out in a line up? doubtful.
i do know that no matter what i shoot with, be it film or digital...my pics look very similar...after all i am the same no matter what is in my hand gathering light.
do different films have different looks? yes...my absolute favourite was 120 delta 3200 shot at 1000 in my mamiya 6.

Old 01-04-2013   #69
back alley
IMAGES

some say that cameras are tools.
i see them more as toys that let me record images.
and i like new toys.

Old 01-04-2013   #70
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Quote:
some say that cameras are tools.
i see them more as toys that let me record images.
and i like new toys.
Learn to live with the consequences of your choice.

I don't think all the film shooters have a better life than you.

Old 01-04-2013   #71
kuvvy

New toys are fun Joe. Only, the same as kids at Christmas, the fun dies out pretty quickly and they long for something else.
I've had enough toys myself compared to many of my pals, many of whom shoot film. I prefer digital shooting now, having given up on film mainly after buying the RD1. I still think the RD was the best link between film and digital shooting. It had film camera handling with digital convenience.
Now my latest toy is the Xpro and its a fine camera. Still have my X100 and love that too. Got the Sony X100 but not loving it so much and find myself shooting my GRD IV more.
Though I regard myself as a street shooter, lately I've found myself wanting more from my photography. Random street shooting is fine but I'm getting a bit bored with it and perhaps need to find a project to shoot and give my photography a 'focus'. If I did that then just maybe I'd buy only what I 'need' and not what I want.
For us though Joe, it's a hobby and whether its new gear, better images, film or digital it's each to their own and it makes RFF the best photo site in my opinion.
With all that said, new gear thought can do your head in and personally I am still curious about an X100 replacement and a new GRD if it ever happens.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 01-05-2013   #72
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
I have to say it, what is with all this existential angst you have been tripping on lately? I don't comment too often in threads, but enough is enough. You have over 30,000 posts and you are constantly worrying about gear. What kind of photographer do you think you are? Odds are at this point is that you are a fondler, not a photographer. Here is a reality check for you.

Maybe spend more time being the Indian and less time worrying about the arrow.

My my my . . . . aren't we judgemental !

The original question is a gear question, and specifically relates to buying new gear as "toys" (which is fun, and aside from "being a photographer"). So lighten up, huh.

Old 01-05-2013   #73
konicaman
konicaman

I am sure Joe is old enough to ask for therapeutic advice if he feels the need

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 01-05-2013   #74
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post

The original question is a gear question, and specifically relates to buying new gear as "toys" (which is fun, and aside from "being a photographer"). So lighten up, huh.
I think to be fair, patrickjames is trying to help. Being completely frank, Joe appears to be quite the gear hound, and it seems to be causing him more unpleasant feelings than pleasant ones. I think patrickjames is just saying that Joe needs to try to stop obsessing over material possessions, which is probably a healthy idea.

Old 01-05-2013   #75
Roger Hicks

Quote:

"...which is fun"?

Not for everyone.

Nor even, I suspect, for those who get a feeble, short-term buzz out of it, and are then salivating after the newest toy.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-05-2013   #76
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
...over new gear, the non-stop improvements in the technology, the desire for all the new, the latest and the greatest...the never ending demand on the budget?
Yes, yes, no, no...and yes.

Quote:
do you ever feel like your gear is just old now and out of date even though it was the 'best' about 6 months ago?
Depends. I have a Canon 5D and a Lumix GF1; they work very well for me in spite of them being "several" years old. Like my Rolleiflex or Leica M2 in film terms

Quote:
if one had deep pockets it might be easy to cope better but needing to sell one to buy another feels stressful especially if one likes new toys!
Agreed.

Quote:
how do you cope? or is it a non prob for you?
I look at my (risory) budget, and decide not to dwell on the gear anymore.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 01-05-2013   #77
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
I think to be fair, patrickjames is trying to help. Being completely frank, Joe appears to be quite the gear hound, and it seems to be causing him more unpleasant feelings than pleasant ones. I think patrickjames is just saying that Joe needs to try to stop obsessing over material possessions, which is probably a healthy idea.
Well, okay. If patrickjames was just "getting tough" with Joe to snap him out of it, I get it. Just seemed to me his words were a bit harsh for a fairly casual thread topic.

Old 01-05-2013   #78
thegman

Quote:
Well, okay. If patrickjames was just "getting tough" with Joe to snap him out of it, I get it. Just seemed to me his words were a bit harsh for a fairly casual thread topic.
Certainly harsh, agreed, sometimes "tough love" is the way though.

Old 01-05-2013   #79
Paul T.

Quote:
...over new gear, the non-stop improvements in the technology, the desire for all the new, the latest and the greatest...the never ending demand on the budget?

do you ever feel like your gear is just old now and out of date even though it was the 'best' about 6 months ago?

if one had deep pockets it might be easy to cope better but needing to sell one to buy another feels stressful especially if one likes new toys!

how do you cope? or is it a non prob for you?
My frustration is based more on my average photos than my gear. I've found that by far my best photos tend to be with the Konica Hexar; one camera, one lens, learn to know its foibles really well.

When I got my X100, the photos were far better than my GF1, but still worse than the Konica. So I'm still learning it, and know that my photos would be worse with a new camera, rather than better.

Old 01-05-2013   #80
back alley
IMAGES

i think it's funny that when i get all weird about gear i'm told to take more pics or that i'm not a real photographer. in terms of quantity i bet i shoot more than most here...i am always posting pics.
last week when i talked about 'style' no one told me to buy more gear...