Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji Digital General Discussion

Fuji is starting to get to me!
Old 02-11-2020   #1
Huss

Fuji is starting to get to me!

The X100V and X-Pro3..
Why? Because I have been seeing more and more images online taken with the Classic Negative Film Simulation mode.
And I love it.

Old 02-11-2020   #2
back alley
IMAGES

don't panic it might pass in a few days...

Old 02-11-2020   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The X100V and X-Pro3..
Why? Because I have been seeing more and more images online taken with the Classic Negative Film Simulation mode.
And I love it.

Fuji is why I stopped using colour film...

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 02-11-2020   #4
valdas

Oh, I thought you can’t stop buying Fuji films...

Old 02-11-2020   #5
jsrockit

Quote:
The X100V and X-Pro3..
Go for them... I don't even use anything else anymore....for digital. Maybe the X100V first?

Old 02-11-2020   #6
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
Oh, I thought you canít stop buying Fuji films...
Actually I can't. Love feeding my kameras C200.

Old 02-11-2020   #7
Huss

I played with the NikFx plugin in LR, which has film simulation filters. I filtered these using their Fuji Superia 200. It pretty much 'just' saturated the colors, increased contrast and blocked up the shadows a bit. I was curious to see how they would compare to Fuji's in camera Classic Negative mode.
Ya, while I like what NikFx has done, it does not compare. Plus it adds several processing steps plus it only saves as a TIFF so the files then become very large.

FYI I used an M240 + Lux Asph 50

Old 02-11-2020   #8
Timmyjoe

Quote:
The X100V and X-Pro3..
And I love it.

Unless that Classic Negative Film Simulation mode includes a setting for AgfaPan APX-100, Kodak Tri-X and Kodak Plus-X, I'm not interested.

Best,
-Tim

PS: Not to thread hijack, but I've got some of that Kodak Pro Image 100 film (that Michael does such wonderful work with) coming tomorrow, so the Leica's are going to get a workout. Maybe if the X100V could simulate that film, and my old favorite Ektachrome EPP-100, then I might be interested.

Old 02-11-2020   #9
Huss

You can see that the NikFX filter blows out highlights too.

Old 02-11-2020   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Unless that Classic Negative Film Simulation mode includes a setting for AgfaPan APX-100, Kodak Tri-X and Kodak Plus-X, I'm not interested.

Best,
-Tim

PS: Not to thread hijack, but I've got some of that Kodak Pro Image 100 film (that Michael does such wonderful work with) coming tomorrow, so the Leica's are going to get a workout. Maybe if the X100V could simulate that film, and my old favorite Ektachrome EPP-100, then I might be interested.
I think it just covers Fuji products?
Hey, I'm not quitting real film any time soon! Just like these simulated Digital images from Fuji more than regular Digital images.

Old 02-11-2020   #11
helenhill
mod chasing light

I still love the previous version X100F... stellar
Cool that prices now are dropping with the version Vour now

Old 02-11-2020   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It is never going to look like film scans. It just in camera processing presets to make image looking good. Those who likes them are lucky.
I prefer to like camera rendering closer to original RAW. Fuji is nice, but personally I prefer Olympus.

Old 02-11-2020   #13
Henry

I had the second X100 camera, and although I liked it a lot I never really got along with it. The menus were obnoxious (not a huge issue, but it nagged) and the viewfinder was always busier and less intuitive than I hoped.

The images looked great, but the process of using the camera felt too much like using my phone (which I love to photograph with, but that's not usually why I pick up a camera rather than the phone).

I say: try one out for a week and see how you like it? No reason not to rent and give it a go.

Old 02-11-2020   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
It is never going to look like film scans. It just in camera processing presets to make image looking good. Those who likes them are lucky.
I prefer to like camera rendering closer to original RAW. Fuji is nice, but personally I prefer Olympus.
This review shows how well the Classic Negative mode works

https://jonasraskphotography.com/201...nsive-preview/

I have an Oly PenF and its film modes are nice but not this nice. I use it as a Monochrom camera.

Old 02-11-2020   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
I had the second X100 camera, and although I liked it a lot I never really got along with it. The menus were obnoxious (not a huge issue, but it nagged) and the viewfinder was always busier and less intuitive than I hoped.
If you think Fuji menus are horrible, just about any other digital camera is even worse... other than Leica.

As for the VF (EVF or OVF), every single piece of information can be turned off leaving just a bare VF.

Old 02-11-2020   #16
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
The viewfinder is configurable in what it displays. You can have nothing more than the framelines if desired.

Shawn

Old 02-11-2020   #17
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Fuji is nice, but personally I prefer Olympus.
I now only use Olympus digitals for personal black & white images because I cannot depend on them for paying jobs. The Olympus broke once too often. Thus far, my Fuji digitals have been more dependable.

Candid Wedding Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 02-11-2020   #18
giganova

Fuji's in-camera Provia mode is seriously awesome. Plus, the lenses are tiny and weather rated. I do all my color work with an X-T3 and love it. I should have bought an X-H1 when they had this insane sale two months ago and they were dirt cheap.

Old 02-11-2020   #19
agentlossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
I now only use Olympus digitals for personal black & white images because I cannot depend on them for paying jobs. The Olympus broke once too often. Thus far, my Fuji digitals have been more dependable.

Candid Wedding Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Took me a moment with that photo! I've used M4/3 cameras for a long time and I'd easily say Panasonic is the more durable choice for bodies. Olympus designs cameras with lots of panache but Panasonic know how to make good cameras.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Old 02-11-2020   #20
Huss

Yeah I just shot a bunch of images around the house w my PenF. The film modes do not compare to Fuji. But it does do a sweet monochrome.

Old 02-11-2020   #21
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I have not succumbed to the X-pro, but I like my X100 so much, and my X10 and X20, that I might go for one of those one of these days. Probably should get all the lenses, too, so it would wind up being expensive . . .

Old 02-11-2020   #22
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
I now only use Olympus digitals for personal black & white images because I cannot depend on them for paying jobs. The Olympus broke once too often.
Funny, I had the same experience. Shutter speed dial cap fell off my e-p1, baseplate bent from light tripod use and my E-3 lost several screws over a small period. Never had another digital body (canon, Nikon, Fuji) come apart like those Olympus's.

Old 02-11-2020   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

At the rate I'm having issues with film labs, I just might go all digital, and that X100V looks like a good place to start though I'm still hung up on it being a fixed mount lens.

PF

Last edited by farlymac : 02-14-2020 at 20:00. Reason: Corrected camera model designation

Old 02-12-2020   #24
Dogman

Love the XPros, at least the "1" and "2". Don't really need or want the "3". Also love the X100...the "S" is the model I use and I don't have any desire for the newer models. Can't say enough good about the handling or look of the images.

'Course I only shoot Raw and I process about 99% as B&W. I seldom do color. I do recall that when I got my first Fuji camera I tried some of the film simulations and I totally hated them. All of them. To my eyes the colors were a just...wrong. Shooting in Raw and processing the color in Adobe Standard to taste looked better to me. Again: I almost never shoot color anyway.

Fuji menus are simple compared to Olympus. I really like the way the OMD EM1 does B&W but I hated the way the camera handled and the menus were a nightmare.

Old 02-12-2020   #25
olifaunt

Quote:
This review shows how well the Classic Negative mode works

https://jonasraskphotography.com/201...nsive-preview/

I have an Oly PenF and its film modes are nice but not this nice. I use it as a Monochrom camera.
I am not so sure. One of the first images of classic negative mode, the kayak on the water, shows very ugly banding in the sky. This is the kind of problem, still unresolved in 2020, that pushed me away from digital and has me still using film for the foreseeable future for color. For B&W, the difference is even more stark; no digital capture comes even close to film there.

Old 02-12-2020   #26
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
I am not so sure. One of the first images of classic negative mode, the kayak on the water, shows very ugly banding in the sky. This is the kind of problem, still unresolved in 2020, that pushed me away from digital and has me still using film for the foreseeable future for color. For B&W, the difference is even more stark; no digital capture comes even close to film there.
I'm not a digital apologist (and I more or less only shoot film) but I guarantee that is either bad editing or bad compression (or both) in post.

Old 02-12-2020   #27
goamules

I upgraded my XE-1 I'd used for 6-7 years to a X-T2 this Winter. I do love the color choices. I barely shoot color film anymore. I shot the new Ektachrome. But after $12 for a roll, then $18 for processing and scanning (so-so scans that I can do better on), and the week delay....it's not worth it. I am satisfied with the Velvia setting, High Negative, and I'm playing with the Classic Chrome now.

Old 02-12-2020   #28
Huss

Quote:

I don't see any banding, viewing the image on a recent MacBook Pro.

Not saying you don't see it, just I don't.

Also be aware that these are images compressed etc for the web. Everything I post via Flickr looks horrible compared to the actual images I have (for example)

Old 02-12-2020   #29
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
I upgraded my XE-1 I'd used for 6-7 years to a X-T2 this Winter. I do love the color choices. I barely shoot color film anymore. I shot the new Ektachrome. But after $12 for a roll, then $18 for processing and scanning (so-so scans that I can do better on), and the week delay....it's not worth it. I am satisfied with the Velvia setting, High Negative, and I'm playing with the Classic Chrome now.
You have to scan film yourself (digicam). I would not be shooting film if I had to pay for that. Too expensive (I shoot a lot), most times mediocre results and I hate the wait. Especially because I used to mail it out and so would wait until I had enough rolls to send (as shipping one roll or many cost the same).

Old 02-12-2020   #30
Brian Atherton

Quote:
I don't see any banding, viewing the image on a recent MacBook Pro.

Not saying you don't see it, just I don't.

Also be aware that these are images compressed etc for the web. Everything I post via Flickr looks horrible compared to the actual images I have (for example)
+1

Same here with my MacBook Pro.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-12-2020   #31
philosli

Why simulating if you can use the real?

Old 02-13-2020   #32
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosli View Post
I agree.

And yet...

For me it makes digital images look attractive.

Old 02-13-2020   #33
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosli View Post
Because they are never the same...as film. if you prefer digital, then maybe a simulation might be the look you are looking for. Why use ordinal over D76? Why use Ekatchrome over Velvia? I prefer RAW, but some people like a simulation and there is nothing wrong with it...

Old 02-13-2020   #34
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atherton View Post
+1

Same here with my MacBook Pro.
I wonder if we are looking at the same image:
https://i2.wp.com/jonasraskphotograp...g?w=3000&ssl=1

Banding is obvious to me on several different machines, including my calibrated laptop and iPad Pro. Especially the purple band above the kayak, but also several bands in the top right quarter of the image. It is more obvious when viewed through my slightly tinted reading glasses but even without them it is visible if you look for it. You can click on the mage to enlarge to full size and then it is really very obvious. This is supposed to be a camera jpeg and the full size version is large so I doubt PP or web compression has anything to do with it.

Old 02-13-2020   #35
Huss

Quote:

Banding is obvious to me on several different machines, including my calibrated laptop and iPad Pro. Especially the purple band above the kayak, but also several bands in the top right quarter of the image. It is more obvious when viewed through my slightly tinted reading glasses but even without them it is visible if you look for it. You can click on the mage to enlarge to full size and then it is really very obvious. This is supposed to be a camera jpeg and the full size version is large so I doubt PP or web compression has anything to do with it.
I checked that link, looked at it full size, do not see any banding. My MacBook Pro has a calibrator on it that runs continuously. The only 'band' I see is the lake's horizon line above the kayaker. Which is part of the image.

Old 02-13-2020   #36
olifaunt

Quote:
I checked that link, looked at it fun size, do not see any banding. My MacBook Pro has a calibrator on it that runs continuously. The only 'band' I see is the lake's horizon line above the kayaker. Which is part of the image.

I guess that shows the danger of publishing images viewed using only a Macbook then (as the author probably also did).

Old 02-13-2020   #37
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
It looks like Iím not yet to quit on film.
I get 4 cad Kodak Gold in local Walmart and it is developed for 6 cad, same week, near work. 7 usd in total. And I own two scanners. They are not expensive.

Old 02-13-2020   #38
Corran

I 100% see the banding. It's not as obvious as some I've seen, but I do really think it is from editing or compression, and has nothing to do with digital capture.

Even the 3000 x 2000 image is resized from the "original" SOOC jpeg.

Old 02-13-2020   #39
Brian Atherton

Quote:

I would hope so! IntriguingÖ

Full size or not, on three separate machines (Apple and PC), what I see with my eyes on my screens appears different to what you see with your eyes on your screen.

You see banding, I donít.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 02-13-2020   #40
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

On decent PC with dedicated graphic card, not on-board one. If it is not visible on Macs, then FujiFilm should specify it in written. I check images regularly on same PC and no defects like this. Only if it comes from the image.